Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Cross

Default Re: Southern Cross

I've pasted in below an edited version of an email I got from Howard this morning in which he refers to a seriously windy few days and the last few small jobs done before he heads out.
    He's in a tiny estuary next to the Nao Victoria Museum, with the towering bulk of the full sized replica of Magellans ship and the rig of Darwins Beagle, the tiny sliver of a boat that is the replica James Caird and the bigger schooner Ancud nearby.
    The bank of the estuary is about 6 ft high he's tied up at the bottom of that alongside a foot high grassy shelf and its that that Southern Cross was blown up onto in the middle of the night.

I've the first article ready for the Below40South.com website, it should be up in a day or so, and there will be regular updates from then on.

For a glimpse of the larger vision, conceived on the plane on the way to South America, go to my John Welsford Small Craft Design facebook page and scroll down to January 7th, click on the Boat Radio International interview, click on the sound bar that comes up and listen. Sorry I cant get a link to work, but it tells of the longer plan, a "Different kind of Circumnavigation" one with an educational focus.

Howards email below.
    John Welsford

Hello Folks
    For the sake of accuracy ;-) I got the wind strength wrong on Sunday night/Monday. I was guessing gusts at 70mph at 3am but darn if the sustained wind was only 93km per hour or 56 mph. Check out the newspaper snap shot I have attached. I came in town and shot film of the blow, it was amazing watching people work their way up the roped sidewalks. In really high winds ropes are strung between light posts. Many people are injured here by being blown over. There was significant tree damage.

Here is a photo of the local paper, tree damage, people clinging to each other, etc. Blew my boat half way up on land during the night. I was aboard and didnt bother to get out as it was also raining sideways. In the morning I was able to push Southern Cross back in the water and deployed my two ground screws to which I attached one of the two red lines some of you have seen hanging from the back of the cabin. Nice to have done this as proof of concept that it works.

Today was very nice, wind in the mid 20 knot range, sunny. I must be leaving shortly as today I laid in all fresh food plus a few other items. Onions, potatoes, carrots, blueberries, oranges, limes, nectarines, pears, peaches, canned salmon, canned mussels, 6 bottles of an interesting local dark beer, 30 containers of yogurt.

Tomorrow I have a full day. I am doing a second 25% rule (where just before any voyage I attempt to lose 25% of my load but I believe I am down to the essentials, still I will try.

Did sat phone checks yesterday and plan a Delorme test tomorrow (Dave and John). I will also send through my Delorme list emails before I depart.

My intention is to attempt to depart Thursday morning at 5:52am the high high tide, thats right the high high. Once out of the estuary I am sailing south on a reach down the coast, could be a challenge. If it blows up Wednesday night I will think of Friday am departure, just a few minutes later. Time to go!

I am excited to leave (I always reserve excitement to the very last moment) and very excited to have an alliance with all of you in pursuing the broader vision, The Voyage of Southern Cross.

Best,
    howard
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Well, good luck for Tuesday, and beyond.

Here is the link to the weather forecast for Punta Arenas, the Straits head southwest from here and a norwester should see him close reaching along the weather shore.

http://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/...ta-Arenas.aspx

To convert windspeed to knots, divide the Km/h figure by 1.85, or for quick reference just halve it.
    That looks like a good day tomorrow, the tide is full about 5 50 am which will let him out of the little estuary and give him a full day in good winds to make progress past the port and out toward Puerto Hambre, then Cabo Froward and into that maze of channels and islands that constitutes whats known as the "Milky Way".

John Welsford

A challenging sequence of events have been reported by Howard.

( filed Feb. 1, on the Small Craft Advisor magazine website General Blog...)

smallcraftadvisor.com/our-blog

Wow!

kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I read on FaceBook his account of the anchor dragging and the boat being pounded in the surf. Amazing that he was able to save the boat with little damage.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Wow Indeed!
    You couldn't script this latest log entry with more emotional horsepower!
    Howard is proving as good a writer as he is a resourceful and determined sailor..

There is something about this guy, his stout little vessel, and his goals and attitudes, that has nobility in it..

He would never agree, I get that, an exceptionally experienced boatbuilder and extraordinary small boatman, nothing more; now growing older, and just wanting to realize an appropriately accessible dream...

Sure, that's all....

Pay attention to the evolution of the ideas as well as the events, my hunch is this expedition will yield a ship's log of memorable truth...
    Last edited by Dirk Visser; 02-03-2017 at 01:24 PM.

All that, for the sake of a local requirement to contact authorities by radio on a daily basis. I can't see that working reliably by VHF in that terrain, and doubt he has short wave on board. A SPOT or Delorme (have I got that right) tracker would make more sense and I do think he has one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Visser View Post
    Wow Indeed!
    You couldn't script this latest log entry with more emotional horsepower!
    Howard is proving as good a writer as he is a resourceful and determined sailor..

There is something about this guy, his stout little vessel, and his goals and attitudes, that has nobility in it..

He would never agree, I get that, an exceptionally experienced boatbuilder and extraordinary small boatman, nothing more; now growing older, and just wanting to realize an appropriately accessible dream...

Sure, that's all....

Pay attention to the evolution of the ideas as well as the events, my hunch is this expedition will yield a ship's log of memorable truth...
    A stout little boat and a stout boatman !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Braver man than I, I'm a fair weather sailor.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

I heard from him last night, he made about 30 miles yesterday, anchored in close to the beach about 8 miles short of Puerto Hambre at around 11 pm when the wind died.

He has a Delorme Inreach beacon plus an Iridium satphone, communication is a little patchy but workable.
    Today he's looking to cross over to the mouth of the Magdalena channel but the forecast is for very light and variable winds, it could be a very long day.

He tells me that the little SCAMP is performing just as intended, sailing well in conditions from full gale to flat calm.
    He's feeling very confident.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I read on FaceBook his account of the anchor dragging and the boat being pounded in the surf. Amazing that he was able to save the boat with little damage.
    Do you have the link?
    Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb?
    When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it,
    And brake up for it my decreed place, and set bars and doors,
    And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed?
    Job 38: 8-11

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff C View Post
    Do you have the link?
    It's here on the SCA blog:

http://smallcraftadvisor.com/our-blog/?p=4804

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    It's here on the SCA blog:

http://smallcraftadvisor.com/our-blog/?p=4804

Tom
    any more recent up dates? Last I heard Howard was only 15 miles from the open Pacific! but that was over a week ago.

I'm not privy to any fresh news, either... but I just received an update by John Kohnen to the "The Coots (Western Oregon Messabouts)" group digest that included a link to Howard's track with very up-to-date positioning!!!!:

https://share.garmin.com/HowardRice

Cheers,
    Dale

Below 40 South has an updated phone conversation with Howard: http://below40south.com/blog/. In the conversation he mentions 100's and 100's of something?? I can't make it out. Must be a term I'm not familiar with. Anyone know what he's talking about? At the 50 second mark.

He mentions hundreds of "williwaws" sp?... essentially Katebatic winds that come down the slope of high ground, mountains around.... these can come from any direction, separate from prevailing winds, and can gust from zero to hurricane force winds in seconds and die just as quickly, and even starting up just as strongly from the opposite direction.
    I have had them several times, but one night, up the coast, Knight Inlet, we were hit about a dozen times from several different directions with winds gusting to I think 60 odd knots. We healed over to 30 degrees or so under bare poles, till we swung head to the wind. It would howl for 5to20 minutes, stop and kick us from another direction.
    We dragged into shallow water till the scope was about 10/1. Then held... thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    He mentions hundreds of "williwaws"
    Thanks. I had just figured it out and I believe your spelling is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    He mentions hundreds of "williwaws" sp?... essentially Katebatic winds that come down the slope of high ground, mountains around.... these can come from any direction, separate from prevailing winds, and can gust from zero to hurricane force winds in seconds and die just as quickly, and even starting up just as strongly from the opposite direction.
    I have had them several times, but one night, up the coast, Knight Inlet, we were hit about a dozen times from several different directions with winds gusting to I think 60 odd knots. We healed over to 30 degrees or so under bare poles, till we swung head to the wind. It would howl for 5to20 minutes, stop and kick us from another direction.
    We dragged into shallow water till the scope was about 10/1. Then held... thankfully.
    tough to imagine being exposed to those conditions for 4 days straight, must be exhausting.

I totally agree, and being in so small a boat, with no way of moving your body other than turning over. In a small boat you feel more vulnerable than in a larger one even if you are actually safer. 4 days like that would be brutally punishing and exhausting....

Anchoring in those kind of conditions would have to be very stressful for Howard.
    I assume he is just swinging on a single anchor since rigging shore lines would be more complicated for a single hander and in Howard's case involve getting wet.

Standard anchoring techniques in that part of the world include using shore lines due to depth and extreme winds.

I believe he was lying to 3 anchors and 3 lines ashore, 6 in all. In the next new spot he has 4 lines out. Actually I believe it is pretty customary down there to combine anchors and lines ashore. In a lot of places the water is deep until you get close to shore. FYI we have some of the same problems on this coast. I have had to run all my rode out and tie the stern to the shore....Anchor in 120-150 ft of water.

Not good news:

http://smallcraftadvisor.com/our-blog/?p=4827

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by The Gentleman Sawyer; 03-01-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Ken,

Yes - that's all we know for now. Josh is working to confirm. But it doesn't look good. Scamp is a rugged little boat for its size, though - and small boats sometimes fare better in such a grounding than large ones. It's not totally inconceivable that she could be rescued and refitted.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Watching with fingers crossed . Good Luck Howard and Southern Cross.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Damn. At least Howard is alright. Sounds like a pretty tough day.

Steven

Oh no.

Hope he is doing well, not a happy experience but luck was always going to be a part of the equation traveling in a small boat in that area.
    whatever rocks your boat

Very disappointing for Howard and we're very sorry to hear it. It will be great if the boat can be retrieved. Best wishes from here!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Damn. At least Howard is alright. Sounds like a pretty tough day.
    Steven
    +1. I hope Howard is safe and sound.

Nick

Sounds like he did well to get out alive. Gnarly rocky shore, ripped immersion suit, an hour or so in the water and a lot more on shore, probably already well exhausted by the time things went real bad. Those are seriously difficult waters down there.

Sad to hear but it was a bit of a David and Goliath voyage. It's good to know Howard is okay and I hope the boat is found intact.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Very disappointing for Howard and we're very sorry to hear it. It will be great if the boat can be retrieved. Best wishes from here!

Rick
    I'm just speculating/hoping. No way to know yet how she's situated.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

So I haven't been following this thread. What was Howard Rice trying to do down there? Where was he sailing to?

Jamo