Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: The "13", a semi-disposable box keel boat

Default Re: The "13", a semi-disposable box keel boat

Oh, man! I cannot WAIT to get her out of the shed and see the whole shebang.

Looks very nice down below, too. Looks big, for a little boat, you know?

Inspirational amount of work, here. I just love it.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Oh, man! I cannot WAIT to get her out of the shed and see the whole shebang.

Looks very nice down below, too. Looks big, for a little boat, you know?

Inspirational amount of work, here. I just love it.

Peace,
    Robert
    Thanks Robert. Dragging the builds outta the shed for the first time is always a good moment. I have a strongback on dolly wheels from the last build, so likely set her down on that, will allow me to get it out in the open to blow of bogging dust etc. .....talking of which, a strange coincidence saw a bloke fairing off a Frolic over on Duckworks, shares your name too, weird pie eh?
    She does look a bit top heavy, but the raised sides are part of the design to aid righting....some fun thats going to be! Should be enough room to swing a hammock below the flush decks, and sitting headroom.

Enjoying the thread and admiring your effort to test the concept practically!

Oh, that guy on Duckworks? Yeah, don't believe a word out of his keyboard. All foma and lies, man.
    Besides, he is not nearly as handsome or funny as me.

As to the "13", I'm not sure she looks too top heavy. The volume in a "small" boat just surprised me. I think you may have a nice little camper, there. Maybe a little counter off the case? A little canvas chair opposite, and a hammock...

Fom the pic, the sheer looks a little more powder horn than just humpbacked reverse sheer, you know? Its a pleasing sheerline, to me.

I think one twice this size would be lovely.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by trango View Post
    Enjoying the thread and admiring your effort to test the concept practically!

. .Much appriciated Fredrik. Not sure if the result will match the paper studies, but we will definately learn something from it, so its all good whatever happens.......as long as i dont get too wet!

Robert, that geezer didnt seem to have your humour for sure, but did come across as being a bit thrifty like your good self, will have to keep an eye open. Definately a lot of volume in there for a small boat. I am also thinking about how much space i have when its doubled; its possible i might deepen the box aft a tad more to lower the engine and gain slightly more depth for tankage, but thats just a thought at present until this thing gets its speed trails.....

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Yeah....its weird, some people who love clinker boats, with all those lands inside, often make a comment about how battens are a rot spot waiting to happen! Its not much work to make battens drain at their lowest point, and anything with 3 coats of epoxy on it is unlikely to crumble anytime soon. I do not hesitate to use copious buckets of water to keep my Vattern Snipa clean inside, as crap down the lands is really what causes a lot of problems. I dont think battens on a glued boat are really an issue....depending on how many there are.....can be a real pain when fitting out. Pros and cons...
    Good to see the progress made since I last looked in here.
    Clinker planking regularly washed with salt water is all good for removing muck that the lands collect, and serves as an excellent wood preserver as well. Glued laps in ply and battens might do better to have epoxy fillets laid into the lands, while those number (3!) of epoxy coatings are being painted in there.
    This box keel concept is on a back-burner for me, while working out where to spend any available time and finance to best effect.

Flipping the 13 inside some heavy strops....

Put back down on trestles

Lots of filling, fairing and sanding to do, as and when its warm enough....

Have not decided what to do regarding the finish of this pine ply, looks like it is going to check over a period. Might just glass the keel seams and chine, but given its size, a very light cloth over the whole bottom might be a better bet.....

Bottom looks very nice.

Peace,
    Robert

This is getting good. I say no glass. Simple heavy prime job and paint.
    I have driven a 6.5l Dodge with diesel Cummins and it was glorious....

I know it is a 'disposable' boat and on low budget. But experience in this makes me think a thin glass layer will be a good idea. Even the nice occume I bought checked.

I mention the glass just because the grain has lifted already in some places due to the damp. I have a lot of old poly resin that is way past its best, but i have already tested it by heating it through and adding a drop of acetone to thin it back out and it has bonded glass ok, i have 100 yds fabric, so this is just stuff i have laying around. I will start with the bottom, and see if the topsides get any worse. There might be a chance of it having an after-life if it looks smooth and shiney. I could primer a small section of one plank and see what happens, i certainly would not strip paint in order to glass after, except on a small test area.....i can actually try that out on the interior as that will just be primed anyway.
    Currently laminating up the bow nosing before bogging starts.

Some bogging and taping going on while a respite from freezing temps....

Polyester resin and glass tapes, polyester bog.

Quite nice shape there. It will be super when smooth.
    I have driven a 6.5l Dodge with diesel Cummins and it was glorious....

I wanted a smooth transition to bottom and side plank below the waterline to avoid end grain damage and create a smooth flow. I have kept the lap a few inches above the waterline to act as a spray deflector. Not sure if this is going to work 100% on a visual basis.....

My elbows have decided just how much glassing im going to do, and it will be just the bottom. I cant risk putting my elbows out on a trail model. Freezing weather back on the way, so a busy next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by wsgilliam View Post
    Quite nice shape there. It will be super when smooth.
    Probably wont be as smooth as i would like.....but i have just found a sack of micro-balloons that will make sanding a bit easier!

She is looking nicely.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    She is looking nicely.

Peace,
    Robert

Thanks Robert, i understand (in your words) you are quite anal about your bottom....(pun intended.)

Oh. Real tears. Good gracious.

To be fair, since I am building a boat that reportedly sails at above theoretical hull speed in the right conditions, and I am kind of building it more or less to go sail in those exact conditions, I figured I may as well make ONE smooth boat in my life.

Actually, it just takes a long time because I fair by hand, and I wait 5-7 days for the epoxy to cure before sanding it.
    I'm priming and filling now, so the interval has shortened, slightly, between fairing bouts.

He's sneaky guy he is, eh? Keeps dragging it out of me. More to come, I suppose.

I really do love the shape that forefoot took.

Peace,
    Robert

More power to your elbows Robert! Im thinking about the drag caused by a daggerboard slot, and whether a few minor hollows and bumps are going to cause as big an issue. I might put a flap over the slot. If this shape is really capable of a speed/length ratio of 1.8, then i think it will need as much help as possible to get there......though i have my doubts about that, i should at least make the effort to find its maximum.

Glad to get the glass work done before new year at least...

I wont go crazy with a mirror smooth bottom, thats hardly comparable to a boat that has been afloat for a while and has some growth on the bottom, so realistic speed/length is what im after finding, not the ultimate with a light load and a polished bottom which is not really compareable to a loaded boat ready to cruise.

EDIT: Happy New Year!

Dang you and your polyester! I tried to get my shop temp up, but I can't get it above 40 in there, and the epoxy says, "Not so much, thanks." The paint isn't even talking.

Meh. Plenty of other stuff to do.

Happy New Year!

Peace,
    Robert

Had some chilly weather down to minus 18 last week, so slacking a bit. Warm front passing through allow enough to get some primer-sealer on the glass and ply to 4 inches above the waterline.

I will mark off waterlines at inch spacings to check on my calculations, which should be around 160lbs per inch of immersion at this size. Hope to be able to replicate a fully laden 26 without too many dramas.
    Sail area does not scale so well, i will make some poly sails at the size scale for visual purpose, but i might have to knock up a 75sq ft balanced lug and mizzen.......maybe....if we get more snow.

A day of +7 in January is so hard to believe i had to make the most of, and get the laps painted while it was still inverted.

Picasa seemed to have sold out to Google and made picture management an absolute pain.....

Transom blocking going in for outboard bracket mounting.

And transom panels roughed in. Gone minus again, so too cold to glue anything in; did manage to get all the planking butt joints backed up though.

Transom blocking going in for outboard bracket mounting.

And transom panels roughed in. Gone minus again, so too cold to glue anything in; did manage to get all the planking butt joints backed up though.

Nice work. I've done all I can on my boat until it warms a bit. I need warmer temps than I can keep in the garop for this paint. Yes, I know how lame that sounds when I'm talking 30s, and your talking 00s.
    Of course, I'm being hyper fussy about mine, not rushing through to see if it works, just to turn around and double it!

I look forward to the day you can launch her.

Peace,
    Robert

Thanks Robert. Being held up by weather is a bit of a pain, but theres always something else to get on with, even if not preferable! Got the main mast step/box built up, need to put one in for the mizzen and an alternative main mast location for use with just the single lug main. Hoping to get the last bogging and glass work complete inside if the weather co-operates. Need to weld up a one-off outboard bracket, build 2 sails, second rudder, and decking. Lake only froze over for a short period this winter, and although it is still not too late for it all to go pear shaped ice-wise, might be lucky to get some early testing in........as long as it does not involve me getting wet.

Glad you have work to do on her, anyway.

I was working to a plan, so little figuring out on my behalf. I just did all the little stuff along the way, so all I have left is a little goop and some paint. Not even any puttering to do in the cold.

I am truly enjoying your project come together. It seems a long time ago you were dreaming with a model, and now you're close to testing the concept... Cool.

I'm off to stare at my dumb car and try to "design" some bits.

Peace,
    Robert

Very interesting construction method!
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Thanks Donald!

Got the mast box and partners installed.

box sides lap either side of the stem knee, lower partners are just belt and braces approach, as i expect to haul the boat over by the masthead at some point with a full load. Still need to put some studded rod through the upper partners.
    I made the box oversize so that the mast could be raked.

Mast will drop in from the top as decking will come back to the second frame.

Not much to report. Too cold for any glue to go off, but gives time to sort out deck beams and frame gussets.

The offset daggerboard has meant i cant have the side deck as wide as i wanted to have it, but when it comes to stability testing i shall pull it over on the opposite deck, which i shall leave over-size until that is done, then cut it away. Fabricating a steel outboard bracket, and thinking this is a good enviroment for steel boat building, as long as you have some decent gloves.....build all winter and epoxy paint in summer!

Well, they said it would be +7 today, but it only managed +5, but i had to crack on when days allow it......just add a bit more catalyst!

All polyester, bog fillets and glass tape. Once my back recovers from bending over from putting that in, i can fit the deck structure.

That box keel will give good headroom on the full sized version. Tankage forward and aft?
    A steel shoe would be good for ballast. Will be good to see how it sails?

Flat steel plate is first thought when it comes to ballast on the full size model. Tanks may end up being either side (port and starboard) of the centre of bouyancy depending if long range is decided on, otherwise a 50 litre tank can sit in front of the engine.

I have enough old batteries and water containers to load the "13" well beyond its expected capacity, and i am looking forward to see how that works out. Im just taking a break from cutting out a polysail mizzen.