Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: The "13", a semi-disposable box keel boat

Default Re: The "13", a semi-disposable box keel boat

Thanks Donald!

Got the mast box and partners installed.

box sides lap either side of the stem knee, lower partners are just belt and braces approach, as i expect to haul the boat over by the masthead at some point with a full load. Still need to put some studded rod through the upper partners.
    I made the box oversize so that the mast could be raked.

Mast will drop in from the top as decking will come back to the second frame.

Not much to report. Too cold for any glue to go off, but gives time to sort out deck beams and frame gussets.

The offset daggerboard has meant i cant have the side deck as wide as i wanted to have it, but when it comes to stability testing i shall pull it over on the opposite deck, which i shall leave over-size until that is done, then cut it away. Fabricating a steel outboard bracket, and thinking this is a good enviroment for steel boat building, as long as you have some decent gloves.....build all winter and epoxy paint in summer!

Well, they said it would be +7 today, but it only managed +5, but i had to crack on when days allow it......just add a bit more catalyst!

All polyester, bog fillets and glass tape. Once my back recovers from bending over from putting that in, i can fit the deck structure.

That box keel will give good headroom on the full sized version. Tankage forward and aft?
    A steel shoe would be good for ballast. Will be good to see how it sails?

Flat steel plate is first thought when it comes to ballast on the full size model. Tanks may end up being either side (port and starboard) of the centre of bouyancy depending if long range is decided on, otherwise a 50 litre tank can sit in front of the engine.

I have enough old batteries and water containers to load the "13" well beyond its expected capacity, and i am looking forward to see how that works out. Im just taking a break from cutting out a polysail mizzen.

Minimal framing, but what there is for the deck, hatches and cockpit, is all in.

4ft beam and 4ft plywood with camber in deck means a little gap each side, but enough lands on the sheer stringer to fasten down.

With hatch way and deck opening, which will later get cut back once i know how much i need to float on its side when ballasted.

Cockpit seats to cut and hatch frame to construct. Inside has been doused with turps/boiled oil mix.

What an interesting boat. I hope it is more "semi" and less "disposable" :-) -- Wade

Quote Originally Posted by wtarzia View Post
    What an interesting boat. I hope it is more "semi" and less "disposable" :-) -- Wade
    Thanks Wade, time will tell on that. Much will depend on how it might actually sail, it may need a healthy amount of ballast, for its size, to keep it usable.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Thanks Wade, time will tell on that. Much will depend on how it might actually sail, it may need a healthy amount of ballast, for its size, to keep it usable.
    --- And I am guessing there is not enough volume in the box for that ballast to be dumpable water (I haven't read through all the posts yet so no doubt you have already written about that). -- Wade

Quote Originally Posted by wtarzia View Post
    --- And I am guessing there is not enough volume in the box for that ballast to be dumpable water (I haven't read through all the posts yet so no doubt you have already written about that). -- Wade
    A couple of large tractor batteries should give me all the ballast i will need. The box has more volume aft than forward, but no doubt that a tank could be placed where needed, but the size will reduce the available foot space. Once it has gone through some stability testing, a better idea of exactly how much ballast will be needed will get figured. My initial thought was to use some 25 litre water jerry cans around 25kg/55lbs, as movable and disposable ballast. My gut feeling, having already capsized twice while working in it, is strapping down a minimum of a single 32kg/70lb battery and go from there, which would be equal to around 250kg/550lb or about the minimal shoe weight on the full size boat.

Deck is glued down, has to fit cockpit seats first, but had to fit mizzen mast step and partners; in this case just some 45mm thick fir with a hole drilled through it and glued and screwed to the deck beam and cockpit seat frame.

And the last epoxy job, filleting the planks-transom joints.

Some filling/bogging required in places around the hull deck joint, will use polyester bog for that so can get it filled and undercoated in one day.