Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 94

Thread: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frankfort, MI
    Posts
    5,807

    Default Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    I find them to be fascinating cars.

    Jeff C

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    17,358

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    I have worked on few of them

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frankfort, MI
    Posts
    5,807

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I have worked on few of them
    I imagine they made your average tractor look high tech.

    Jeff C


    Last edited by leikec; 11-01-2016 at 10:54 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    555

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    I've got a '46 Willys CJ2A I restored from the ground up. Passed on an opportunity to restore a '31 Model A pickup. I agree, they're all fascinating in their own way. I can't think of many other ways I'd rather while away the time than in restoring and then driving some old iron.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frankfort, MI
    Posts
    5,807

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    Quote Originally Posted by DMillet View Post
    I've got a '46 Willys CJ2A I restored from the ground up. Passed on an opportunity to restore a '31 Model A pickup. I agree, they're all fascinating in their own way. I can't think of many other ways I'd rather while away the time than in restoring and then driving some old iron.
    I agree completely!

    Jeff C

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frankfort, MI
    Posts
    5,807

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?





    Jeff C

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Abbotsford, B.C.
    Posts
    4,697

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    Helped, off and on, one of my paper route customers restore a Model T pickup.
    A lawnmower isn't as simple.
    Couldn't get the hang of shifting gears with pedals.
    basil

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    17,358

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    A lot of "options" for the Model T
    (My neighbor collects T speedsters, and has some fancy engines)

    This is not a speedster!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    44,319

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    Oh I do like that. Not a production model I'd guess?
    I've ridden in one, driven one, and dug most of one out of an old gold sluicing claim.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    13,087

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    My dad had one. He delivered papers with it, and could drive it from the running board using the hand throttle. One of the wrenches it came with fits the manifold on the boat engine. FWIW, the planetary transmission was copied by Toyota in the Prius.
    Last edited by Dan McCosh; 11-02-2016 at 10:41 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northwest Oregon coast
    Posts
    23,405

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    My friend had one that was like a race version, a speedster?.

    At any rate I remember looking at it and it had something like separate coils for each spark plug.

    In 1915?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    7,812

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    Quote Originally Posted by DMillet View Post
    I've got a '46 Willys CJ2A I restored from the ground up. Passed on an opportunity to restore a '31 Model A pickup. I agree, they're all fascinating in their own way. I can't think of many other ways I'd rather while away the time than in restoring and then driving some old iron.
    I had a 47 CJ2A, and it's the only car I wish I been able to keep. Not only was it enjoyable to wrench on, but it was fun to drive, windshield down. I had a Land Rover spare tire cover just to PO the purists. I had to sell when we moved to our downsized house. No more garage.
    The fellow I sold it to uses it to tow his 1947 Higgins tent trailer. Sweet combo.
    Last edited by Jim Bow; 11-02-2016 at 07:33 PM.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    17,358

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    My friend had one that was like a race version, a speedster?.

    At any rate I remember looking at it and it had something like separate coils for each spark plug.

    In 1915?

    Yes, but actually it was 1908!
    A little bit different than the modern high tension coil, they were separate "Trembler Coils" driven by an AC magneto in the flywheel which also ran the (AC) lighting. Those Model T coils will throw a healthy spark over an inch long, and they bite! If you get tagged by one you will really wish you hadn't! We used to call them "buzz coils" for the distinctive sound they made if they were working.
    I think the Model T's planetary transmission was the fore runner of all automatic transmissions, a wonderful thing. The nature of planetary gearing allows for the components to be only 1/3 or 1/4 the size of straight gearing, making a tiny but very robust unit. Old Henry was all about saving (money) and he developed many alloys and techniques for the express purpose of saving weight continued long after the Model T. Welded wire wheels and the en bloc V-8 for example. A visionary and a ruthless businessman.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trembler_coil

    edit to add; I have an old 1910 (ish) marine engine that uses a "buzz" or "vibrator" coil and have been bit a few times. It will make your jaw ache!
    Last edited by Canoeyawl; 11-02-2016 at 05:53 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    13,087

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Yes, but actually it was 1908!
    A little bit different than the modern high tension coil, they were separate "Trembler Coils" driven by an AC magneto in the flywheel which also ran the (AC) lighting. Those Model T coils will throw a healthy spark over an inch long, and they bite! If you get tagged by one you will really wish you hadn't! We used to call them "buzz coils" for the distinctive sound they made if they were working.
    I think the Model T's planetary transmission was the fore runner of all automatic transmissions, a wonderful thing. The nature of planetary gearing allows for the components to be only 1/3 or 1/4 the size of straight gearing, making a tiny but very robust unit. Old Henry was all about saving (money) and he developed many alloys and techniques for the express purpose of saving weight continued long after the Model T. Welded wire wheels and the en bloc V-8 for example. A visionary and a ruthless businessman.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trembler_coil

    edit to add; I have an old 1910 (ish) marine engine that uses a "buzz" or "vibrator" coil and have been bit a few times. It will make your jaw ache!
    Getting rid of the wooden ignition system was a major upgrade to the "T". My father installed a distributor. I used to have a coil that was fun to play with.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    17,358

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    Yes both the distributor, and a water pump did wonders for the "T" almost a must have for modern times, like 1925...
    There must have been a million accessories made for the T.

    Did you use your coil to light up neon bulbs?
    That was a fun trick when I was a kid.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    13,087

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Yes both the distributor, and a water pump did wonders for the "T" almost a must have for modern times, like 1925...
    There must have been a million accessories made for the T.

    Did you use your coil to light up neon bulbs?
    That was a fun trick when I was a kid.
    Actually, I threaded copper wire into the carpet in the living room, and waited for my sister to come down stairs with bare feet...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    17,358

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    Whoa!
    Warn me next time, that was laugh out loud stuff! Brought my wife in from the next room "What's wrong?"

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    7,812

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    18,432

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    Sweet!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Baltimore Maryland
    Posts
    10,678

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    Model T buzz coil. Yup, many gags could be pulled off with one of those. (connect to a door knob, etc.). I built an electrostatic precipitator with one as a Jr High science project.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

    You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frankfort, MI
    Posts
    5,807

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    This I like very much.

    Jeff C

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    18,432

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    Might work on a Miata donor.... :P
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,760

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    Yes. I sold mine a couple years ago. Regretted selling it, but I have no shop now. Owned it for sixty years.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frankfort, MI
    Posts
    5,807

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    Yes. I sold mine a couple years ago. Regretted selling it, but I have no shop now. Owned it for sixty years.
    What year?

    Jeff C

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    41,386

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    No. Closest I've come is watching a buddy restore a 1917 Electric Car. Bare-frame resto. It's been fun. For me... not so sure about for him.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,760

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    1920 TT one ton truck

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,760

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    anybody need a Model T Waukesha high compression head.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    17,358

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    PM sent

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bright's Grove, ON, Canada
    Posts
    8,627

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a few years ago.
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

  30. #30
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waikato. NewZealand
    Posts
    2,230

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?


    When I was very young our family had a Durant Rugby, very like this one.
    Dad sold it to a collector when I was about 6 yrs old.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    44,319

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    I've had a 28 Capitol Chev, a 29 Marmon limo, and for a few months a late 20's Lancia Lambda. Rescued it from an outback farm, got it running and then sold it to someone who had the skills and money to restore it.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frankfort, MI
    Posts
    5,807

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    1920 TT one ton truck
    I'd love to have one of those! Who made the body? Any pictures?

    Jeff C

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    9,955

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    I would have replied sooner, but I fainted and hit my head.
    This is some serious, clinical strength coveting.

    Peace,
    Robert

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    3,205

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    Family legend goes that my father when in high school had a 1926 model-T he worked on converting into a hotrod. While out on a test drive he caught the attention of the local police. My father was not in a talkative mood and decided to make a quick get away home. During the ensuing chase dad took a corner a little to sharp and went into a sideway skid. He hit the curb and sheered off the wooden spoke wheels and slid to a stop in the neighbors rose garden.


    My father always denied the story but my Aunt and Grandmother always remembered every detail.


  35. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    9,955

    Default Re: Anyone here ever own, drive or restore a Model T?

    Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Family legend goes that my father when in high school had a 1926 model-T he worked on converting into a hotrod. While out on a test drive he caught the attention of the local police. My father was not in a talkative mood and decided to make a quick get away home. During the ensuing chase dad took a corner a little to sharp and went into a sideway skid. He hit the curb and sheered off the wooden spoke wheels and slid to a stop in the neighbors rose garden.


    My father always denied the story but my Aunt and Grandmother always remembered every detail.

    Hehe. Parents are always so innocent after their children are born, eh?
    Great story, thanks.

    Peace,
    Robert

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •