X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kipu
    • Sep 2016

Argie 15 on Danube river

Hi friend!guage.
    After a long search for a suitable boat, I decided to build precisely ARGIE 15.
    Now I read everything written on this subject here and admire the projects that are presented.
    I read also Russian forums on this boat. There also has good hits.
    I hope I would find time to share the construction of the boat.
    I've already done the shelter where I will work. Of course because of the low temperatures in winter, will work on the small details.
    I decided it equipped with standard rigs and centerbord.
    I already have a plan and because I am lazy, I digitized drawing and will use the CNC router for cutting details.
    My problem now is that in Bulgaria can not find marine plywood and therefore delay to the start of actual construction.
    I plan to work out a wooden mast for my boat
    I found and even got offer from a manufacturer of sails.

My 15 year old son has promised to help me.
    So, it remains only wish work less money and time for fun.
    Last edited by kipu; 12-24-2016, 10:05 AM.
  • capefox
    • Feb 2007

Re: Argie 15 on Danube rivebr />
    Wonderful. I am delighted to see another Argie 15 build starting. Our family built an Argie three years ago and love to use our boat for sailing and fishing.
    Your idea of CNC cutting the panels is not lazy. It is logical for someone who wants to save time.
    Please feel free to ask any questions along the way. I am happy to help with the knowledge I gained on our build.
    Is 5-ply, 6 mm thick Baltic birch plywood with waterproof glue not available there in Bulgaria?

Comment

• kipu
      • Sep 2016

Unfortunately there is no such a plywood. Only poplar and poplar veneer okoumé.
      Regarding information on the Internet has thick birch plywood, but not 6 mm
      Here is not very developed a self boatbuilding.
      This will be my second boat there is build for myself
      The first was "sunny skiff". I will share some pictures, but first I must find how to make this.

Comment

• heimfried
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by kipu
        ... . I will share some pictures, but first I must find how to make this.
        Look here:

<font color="white">&amp;nbsp &amp;nbsp &amp;nbsp &amp;nbsp &amp;nbsp &amp;nbsp </font> <h3>And, you can click <a href="http://forum.woodenboat.com/forumdisplay.php?12-Archived-Reference-Threads">Archived Reference Threads</a></h3>

Gruß, Günter

Comment

• capefox
          • Feb 2007

How about wooden veneers - 1.5 to 2 mm in thickness? You might be able to glue up your own plywood by from three veneers.
          I also stumbled on this thread on another site: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sai...ior-25862.html

Comment

• Roy Morford
            • Jun 2002

Welcome to the Argie builders club. You might want to look at Fredostle's thread, Norwegian Attempt, as he made up his own planks from 3mill veneers. Looks good and might be worth a try. Be sure to post lots of pictures.

Comment

• capefox
              • Feb 2007

When I started my build in Winter 2012 there were no Argie 15 threads on this forum. Now there are about a half dozen. Plenty of pictures and advice to ease the task. This WBF Argie 15 "club" is starting to grow into a small squadron.

Comment

• kipu
                • Sep 2016

For all here and for protocol - My name is Toni I am from Lom, Bulgaria. This is in North West part of my country on Danube river.

So, thanks capefox,(I think your real name was Andrew). for link you provide. I wrote to Turkey and answer is that I must go to Istanbul to buy plywood. And now in this crazy situation there , it's impossible.
                I am not sure that I can make a plywood for myself and I will looking for in Italy.
                I try some time to post a pic from Google Photos but something get is wrong.
                I will try another way to post pic
                My be I shall registered my own blog on my language and connect from there pictures.
                Last edited by kipu; 11-02-2016, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• Oldad
                  • Jan 2008

Welcome to the forum, Toni. I spent many pleasant days on the Danube in Hungary back in the early 90's. I was supposed to spend the time in Sofia, Bulgaria, but got sent to Hungary instead. I am looking forward to seeing the progress you make with your build.
                  Oldad

Comment

• Max F
                    • Nov 2008

Hi Toni
                    You get very nice boatbuilding plywood from bruynzeel. The best in my personal opinion.
                    Maybe the company has some dealer near you. Here is the address in Holland. I hope I don´t break any forum rules by that.

Pierre Castricum
                    Tél : 00 31 75 6554 230
                    Fax : 00 31 75 6554 291
                    [email protected]

Next to my place there is a company who makes very nice plywood too. I guess you can order from them without seeing the panels. I never had trouble with their stuff.

Ihr fachkundiger Zulieferer und Partner rund um den Boots- und Schiffbau, Bootsbausperrholz, Stabdeckplatten, Teakleisten

I don´t know how expensive the transport will be. But maybe that isn´t that terrible expensive.
                    Good luck
                    Max

Comment

• kipu
                      • Sep 2016

I have some question for mast tube and boom tube.
                      In plan it's pointed that tubes need to be 63mm dia for mast and 50 mm for boom both in tickness 3.18 mm
                      I find tube for mast 58 mm dia x 4 mm and 48 mm dia x 2.5 mm.
                      Question - is this are suitable or they must be the same like in plan?

Comment

• Mark Bowdidge
                        • Feb 2009

I find tube for mast 58 mm dia x 4 mm and 48 mm dia x 2.5 mm.
                        Question - is this are suitable or they must be the same like in plan?
                        You might want to write to Dudley dix about that. I know that Dudley calculates everything, so question him as he alone would know what is suitable and what is not.

Comment

• capefox
                          • Feb 2007

It sounds like your material would be fine, but I agree with Mark's advice on contacting Dudley for definitive answers. I'd be surprised if Dix nixes the material you intend to use. Are you open to building a wooden mast? We initially used an aluminum two-piece mast as shown in the plan, but did not like the results overall. The spruce one-piece we built subsequently was far lighter and aesthetically pleasing. We eventually scrapped the remains of the aluminum mast after removing the Scheaffer track from it for roughly $20 at a local yard.

Comment

• kipu
                            • Sep 2016

I asked Dudley and he confirm that I can use pipe of this size. I thought about making a wooden mast and even got the drawings, but in generally it's difficult with materials suppliers.
                            I paid plywood in Italy and not even know when they will deliver it. It's a litle bit funny story but ...

Comment

• capefox
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kipu
                              I thought about making a wooden mast and even got the drawings...
                              Does Dudley Dix now provide drawings for a wooden mast? Only the two-piece aluminum was in the plans I bought in 2013.

Comment

Working...