Thread: Help Please -Identify Tall Sail Ship (Extreme Clipper)

Default Help Please -Identify Tall Sail Ship (Extreme Clipper)

8/16/2018 update: Thanks so much to all who commented. I'm trying again to attach an image. The ship is still unidentified.
    https://app.box.com/s/vj12635fp2bpkcpe7dbzibw3gr3uas9y

I would greatly appreciate any help with identifying the clipper in this painting. It's fabulous; isn't it?

Paintings by the deceased artist, Roland Barker, are very hard to find. The artist was a seaman on the Tusitala square-rigged tall sale cargo ship and always painted his ships true to their original design and character. The painting that has the ship I am trying to identify is believed to have been one of his earlier paintings.

Perhaps you or someone you know can help me identify this ship? Any suggestion or lead appreciated.

I've been struggling to upload an image. I hope the link below works, else please email me directly.

Thank you so much.
    Linda Amor
    lindaamor@gmail.com
    Last edited by LindaAmor; 08-16-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Default Re: Help Please -Identify Tall Sail Ship (Extreme Clipper)

A photo would be handy..................? ('can't access the link)
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Nor me.

To share a photo from google photos, go to the share icon in the upper left (looks like a V on it's side), click, and then click on "get link" and post that. You're just posting the link for your page, not the photo.

Here's how to post photos on this forum:

FIRST - Don't attach photos. Only a tiny version will display.

SECOND - Post the photos on the web. Use your own website or a free image hosting service like www.flickr.com, picasaweb.google.com, picturetrail, photobucket, shutterfly, etc. Facebook is not recommended the image URL is changed after a few months (breaking the link), and images must be set to "Public" access via the Edit option, not limited to "Friends".

THIRD - Once posted on the web, right-click the photo to "Copy Image Location", or drag the photo to another browser window, then copy the image URL / location / address which will end in ".jpg". You can test by pasting the photo URL into the location field (http://* ) of a web browser and see if the photo displays. Remember that this process will not work for photos located just on your computer, on members-only Yahoo groups, or on Facebook or Flickr unless set to "Public" view.

In Flickr - First click the photo to bring up the options on the right, click the downward arrow icon on the far right ("Download this photo"), then in the list that appears click "View All Sizes". Select the size you want (if not the default size displayed) then get the image URL by right-clicking the image to select "copy image location / address".

FOURTH - DO THIS EVERY TIME TO POST IMAGES IN THREADS:
    A. In any "Reply" window you can click the "insert image" icon --> a little yellow square icon with a dot at each corner, a tiny tree in the center.

Depending on browser version and Reply/Edit status, this may bring up a simple window with a field to paste the URL into, or the "Add an Image" window described below.

B. If the window titled "Add an Image" comes up, click the "From URL" tab, paste the URL of the photo in the field, deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally", then click the "INSERT IMAGE" button. The Forum software will resize some large images, so look at your post to see the actual displayed images.

NOTE - most common problems are due to missing the step described above -> deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally"
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Thank you! I think I have a photo up now. Any idea what ship this could be or how I could find out. Thanks again.
    p.s. Yes, I like your hat.

Well, she’s not a clipper, because she is barque rigged. From the general look of the rig (upper and lower topsails and topgallants, no stunsail booms) she is quite late and is probably a bulk carrier, built in the 1890s.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Does not look real to me. The upper yards are all too long.

It looks like an amateur artists imaginings.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I agree with Nick.

That's the HMS ArtisticLicense.

Jeff

I agree it's "extreme," but certainly not a clipper, as noted. The swell seems rather large and out of scale, given the canvas she's flying, and the fore course looks oddly shaped. What they are doing with the main course is beyond me. Whether they are setting or shortening sail, it seems their doing it out of order. I'd hate to be out on the yards when she falls off that wave. With marine art, as all art, though, it's a matter of personal taste. A print of the below painting hangs in our home office. When SWMBO brought it home, I asked what it was. She said, "It's a picture of ships." Oh...kay.

Improvisation 31, Wassily Kandinsky, c.1913
    Last edited by Bob Cleek; 08-17-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaAmor View Post
    It looks a lot like the James Craig.

IMG_0629.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LindaAmor View Post
    There’s a lot going on in that picture, but I think it was painted by a man who knew sailing ships.

The cook has just chucked the gash bucket overboard so the seagulls are taking an interest.

The fore and main royals are being furled, as is the main course.

The flying jib is being taken in; four men are tallying on the downhaul and are not looking forward to getting out on the bowsprit and furling it.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Yards are about the right length for a double topsail, double topgallant rig. Main course is often furled or left slack in brails to get better air into the fore. Look at his writing. A lot of sea time. If looking for a real vessel, look at what was still sailing in the 1920s/30s.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Yards are about the right length for a double topsail, double topgallant rig. Main course is often furled or left slack in brails to get better air into the fore. Look at his writing. A lot of sea time. If looking for a real vessel, look at what was still sailing in the 1920s/30s.
    I did not know the artist, but I agree. I think the main course is being furled because of the number of men on the yard.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Forget the $#%# boat, what kind of sharks are those with six foot fins sticking out of the water?!? Anybody for some wakeboarding?

Also looks liked the sails on the fore are being feathered. Seems like the painter knew his square riggers but combined lots of elements to make a more interesting painting. And I'm claiming those sharks are dolphins, but they might be oil paint too.
    Nicholas

From the size of them, they'd have to be ***-****** orcas.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelirrojo View Post
    Also looks liked the sails on the fore are being feathered. Seems like the painter knew his square riggers but combined lots of elements to make a more interesting painting. And I'm claiming those sharks are dolphins, but they might be oil paint too.
    Nicholas

I still think that those upper yards are too long.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I know a skipper who has done racing and deliveries on darn near all of the seven seas. Although he is one of the best skippers I have ever sailed with he does not paint pictures of boats as they really look even though he is a recognized artist. He loves to paint pictures of yachts but they look like they were done by Grandma Moses! I like what he does and see him as an artist who paints in the style of the American Primative artists.
    So, I have no criticism of the work of Roland Barker other than to say that the upper yards do look a bit too long.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mercer View Post
    Forget the $#%# boat, what kind of sharks are those with six foot fins sticking out of the water?!? Anybody for some wakeboarding?
    I believe the term for that in waters with sharks of that size is 'trolling.'

Here’s an interesting article in the Journal of the Society for Maritime Research:

https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/J...Yc38ITzjV/full
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Two ships mentioned in that article:

The “lucky Lawhill”:

The Pommern:

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

The James Craig, originally Clan MacCleod, we have been out sailing on her, a fine ship. The brick building in background is the ex Royal Edward Victualling Yard, the RAN/ DoD offices where I worked .,
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Higgins.94301 View Post
    It looks a lot like the James Craig.

IMG_0629.jpg
    Xanthorrea

That's definitely not James Craig on the painting. She has single topgallants.

What about the Killoran?
    In later days after the economicalminded Ålanders painted her topsides black.
    A pretty good match I would say.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

Quote Originally Posted by heimlaga View Post
    That's definitely not James Craig on the painting. She has single topgallants.

What about the Killoran?
    In later days after the economicalminded Ålanders painted her topsides black.
    A pretty good match I would say.
    Good one.

Here’s the Killoran:

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Another possibility- the PENANG:

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

You guys are awesome! I've learned so much just by reading your replies. This gives me somewhere to go in my search and how I look at my painting. It looks like several of those suggested, ...
    You've made my day!
    Thank you so much for your many comments and insights.
    Linda Amor

I was thinking one of the "P" ships (Parmir, Penang, etc) , barque rigged, 2 island type superstructures with a catwalk between them. On the other hand, the figurehead looks rather like "Cutty Sark" which was barque rigged later in her life, wether fitted with double topsails at the same time I don't know.
    Last edited by Graeme Forrest; 11-03-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Forrest View Post
    I was thinking one of the "P" ships (Parmir, Penang, etc) , barque rigged, 2 island type superstructures with a catwalk between them. On the other hand, the figurehead looks rather like "Cutty Sark" which was barque rigged later in her life, wether fitted with double topsails at the same time I don't know.
    No, under Portuguese ownership she was re-rigged as a barquentine after she rolled her masts out under tow. There was a model with that rig in her hold when I went aboard, back before the fire.

This is what she looked like under that rig:

Shoot, can't get the whole thing to show. Anyhow, she had two masts setting fore and aft sails.
    Last edited by johnw; 11-03-2018 at 11:05 PM.

Her focsl and quarterdeck are raised while James Craig's sheerline is smooth with no humps fore and aft. She looks to me like an ocean carrier of 1890 or later. They did have longer yards in proportion to ships of James Craig's ilk. She was more clipper like, fine ended. Many clippers sailed with reduced rigs such as this painting has but the rig is clearly not clipper rig to my eye. The artist knew ships as has been mentioned, her yards corkscrew upward and someone who doesn't know ships won't get that detail. I don't think it's an actual ship, she's from the artist's imagination. Doesn't take away from the pleasure derived in viewing it though. I like extremely realistic images so it's not my cup of tea but I can still appreciate it. Thanks for putting it up.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-