Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: 15' Catboats.

Default Re: 15' Catboats.

Howard Boats ( www.howard-boats.com) build a nice slightly bigger beetle called a Fisher Cat. Just enough bigger to deserve seats instead of sitting on the floor boards.
    I think they are glass hulls with wood finish and wood spars, so look pretty nice. They list one for sale used.
    SHC

I had a chance to see a Fisher Cat sitting next to a Sandpiper at Marshall Marine. Despite being only a foot shorter the Fisher is considerably smaller. Even a foot makes a large difference in volume in a catboat.
    15.5' to 16.5' seems to be the sweet spot for me anyway.
    Last edited by Reynard38; 01-17-2017 at 07:14 AM.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

The saga continues. A Marshall Sandpiper emerged on a island near Bristol RI, ad was sent to be by a sharp eyed forum member. Owner was "interesting" to speak with. Talked to a surveyor about taking a look at her. Turns out this island is essentially a 3rd world country and difficult to access in the winter. Would take the surveyor an entire day to access and survey a 15' boat, almost $700.

Starting to think I need to wait on one NOT in New England. The surveyor says they are way overpriced in that part of the country. I'm inclined to agree. There's a Sanderling at my marina on the lake that has been for sale for well over a year. Asking $4300 and no takers. I bet she could be had for under $3k.
    In New England they are a fashion and lifestyle accessory, down here it's a short, fat funny looking boat.

Big Sandpiper fleet in Florida. Gotta be one for sale at some point in God's Waiting Room.

Buy the Sanderling on your lake. Haul it north and sell it. Buy a Sandpiper with the profit.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Buy the Sanderling on your lake. Haul it north and sell it. Buy a Sandpiper with the profit.

Kevin
    Now that is an idea

Another one came up on Prudence Island. The trick is getting there. Very infrequent ferry service in the winter months.

Another one came up on Prudence Island. The trick is getting there. Very infrequent ferry service in the winter months.
    Huh? There's five ferries day according to the website. http://www.prudencebayislandstransport.com/

kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Well according to the surveyor I spoke with it'd be an all day ordeal to go take a look at her. $700.
    Im about ready to confine my search parameters to the Chesapeake and points south.

That's about perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    That's about perfect.
    Phil Bolger thought so. I can't recall for which design, possibly Spartina, that Bolger commented on it. When the client asked for a 15' catboat design he suggested that he build a Goeller SEA GULL as Bolger believed that the design could not be improved upon.

Francois Vivier's 15' Ilur is not a typical Cape Cod Cat, but in some ways an improvement.

First: you can row it. Oars stow under the floorboards. Although she is wide and high sided, you can actually row her pretty well. I don't use a motor at all.

Second: she sails well. The loose footed lug rig (131 sf) is very powerful and close winded. It is also much simpler than the usual gaff sail on a cat. The designer also has a yawl and boomed rigs for it. I have the loose footed lug because it is the simplest of all rigs, and doesn't sacrifice much to performance. She has a deep, lifting rudder, which probably accounts for part of her good performance. She's much easier on the tiller than the typical cat with the barn-door rudder.

Third: its a modern design. Floatation is designed in, and you can get a pre-cut kit that will reduce building time a lot.

Last summer I sailed in a little sail and paddle regatta in Penobscot bay and we headed out in light air. The Ilur was easily the fastest sailboat in the fleet. It was almost embarrassing how we slid smoothly by a 15' Cape Dory Handy Cat, prompting the cat's crew to accuse us of motoring.

She is also a weatherly boat for her size. I've had her out solo in a 20kt breeze in open water, with large ocean swells. We were triple reefed, but dry and relaxed (but I was heading back to shelter in case the wind blew up more). [edit: maybe not actually 20kts. But there were whitecaps.]

Last edited by photocurio; 02-07-2017 at 09:21 AM.

I've been scrounging Craigslist ads for catboats. A surprising number of vintage wooden cats in the 18-27 foot range pop up regularly.
    Very few smaller ones though. I know they got built. Was it just that it wasn't worth maintaining one when you could just buy another that so few seem to have survived?
    Last edited by Reynard38; 02-16-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Or maybe folks love them so much they can't bear to part with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    Or maybe folks love them so much they can't bear to part with them?
    Sure seems that way. The 18' Sanderlings and similar boats are a dime a dozen.
    Reminds me of when I was trying to find a used Toyota Tacoma for our daughter. People don't turn lose of them.

Anybody have any dealing with Areys Pond boats? Their 14' cat is very pretty. Found one on Craigslist.

We're around the corner. Lovely people who do good work.

Thank you Ian. It's a very pretty boat their 14' catboat. She's got a nice curve to her shear. Some of the smaller cats have a very flat shear. Makes them look disproportionate.

If you fly into Boston sometime and have a layover maybe you can hop a bus to Hyannis and I'll give you a ride to Orleans.

Thank you Ian. More likely I'll get a layover in Providence. We get quite a few long layovers there, and the car rental place is a 5 minute walk from our hotel.
    Maybe I could pick you up and ride over together.

A deal.

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Hey beautiful, where have you been hiding!
    I'm calling tomorrow.

THANKS!

Was looking through Craigslist and this appeared. New Jersey. https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/6061240284.html

14 foot Stur-Dee Cat

Kevin

A very special 16' catboat has turned up for sale. Got a layover this Friday near her. I'm going to take a look, with a check in my pocket.

I might build a catboat someday. Seems like a good idea. Apparently, Mystic has the lines for Tid Bit.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by photocurio View Post
    Francois Vivier's 15' Ilur is not a typical Cape Cod Cat...

Looking at Atkin's Trim 17'8" x 7'6 catboat...

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Sail/Trim.html

Ilur 14'7" x 5'7"

(John posted it upside down)

Her sections are nearly identical to Ilur. Ilur has a slightly higher transom and sligtly more transom rake. Otherwise remarkably similar.

A blown up Ilur with a cabin option!

A good hull for $50.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 03-29-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Found her.

Knew you would, Mark. You look happy! Cheers.

16' Fenwick Williams. Supposedly his last design. He gave the plans to Maynard Lowery, who built 5 or 6. She's the biggest 16' boat I've ever seen.

That going to be perfect for the new place!

16' Fenwick Williams. Supposedly his last design. He gave the plans to Maynard Lowery, who built 5 or 6. She's the biggest 16' boat I've ever seen.
    Now I get it! That will be great on Port Royal Sound, congrats!

The saga continues. A Marshall Sandpiper emerged on a island near Bristol RI, ad was sent to be by a sharp eyed forum member. Owner was "interesting" to speak with. Talked to a surveyor about taking a look at her. Turns out this island is essentially a 3rd world country and difficult to access in the winter. Would take the surveyor an entire day to access and survey a 15' boat, almost $700.

Starting to think I need to wait on one NOT in New England. The surveyor says they are way overpriced in that part of the country. I'm inclined to agree. There's a Sanderling at my marina on the lake that has been for sale for well over a year. Asking $4300 and no takers. I bet she could be had for under $3k.
    In New England they are a fashion and lifestyle accessory, down here it's a short, fat funny looking boat.

Big Sandpiper fleet in Florida. Gotta be one for sale at some point in God's Waiting Room.
    3rd world country in Rhode Island?... definitely major 3rd world sections of RI and Conneticut...but no where near the coast... your likely dealing with the Liberal Coastal Elite... who have imported the 3 world as cheap labor to drive down wages on cleaning their houses etc... rather than pay US citizens a living wage to do the work.

congrats she's a beaut! Boom on a tripod, nice for reducing stresses on the base of the mast... is she gaff rigged?
    ... is that motor on a bracket?... or hung directly on the barn door?
    Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 04-01-2017 at 08:43 AM.

Really nice.
    -Dave

Congrats! She looks to be a beauty.

Kevin