Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Penobscot 14 New Build - Lake Occoquan, VA

Default Re: Penobscot 14 New Build - Lake Occoquan, VA

Very nice, brings back memories.

I see the power planer in the last pic. I don't have one but thankfully I have a friend that does and was able to borrow it, sure made quick work of dealing with the flat for the deadwood.

One tip: you may have already thought of it, but I'll mention it anyway: once you've got a plank on one side mostly figured out (with a bit of extra still left to trim), use it as a template for the other side. Should help speed things up a bit.

You have, without the shadow of a doubt, the classiest looking shop on the entire Forum. It's got everything, including the kitchen sink!
    Seeing the attention to detail with the shop, I can imagine how nice that boat will be.
    Isn't it fun twisting those garboards up by the bow? I've built five glued lap boats and I always expect that area of the garboard to crack under the strain while putting it in place. So far, I've been lucky.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

jonymac

Congrats on the first scarf! I fretted about that then finally did it. Yours looks great. It's a challenge to divide up time between other boating, ponds etc but your boat will look great out there when she's finished. Does she have a name yet?

We are working on rail cap this week.

Cheers
    Kent and Audrey

RowandSail - thanks for the tip, and no, that didn't occur to me - guess I didn't trust that each side was a mirror of the other - maybe I can do that with the next two planks.

Rich - thanks! It was fun to design and build. Of course if I could have afforded it, I would have doubled the size. The garboards were definitely a challenge, especially because they were my first ones, but I am nervous about the next planks too - been dragging my feet on that. Maybe this weekend...

Kent & Audrey - Thanks! The boat does not have a name yet - guess it will will come to me when the time is right. Do you have pics of the rail cap?

JonyMac

Hi jonymac

Here are a few pictures. We cut a rough blank for the smaller caps and then split them with the table saw, planed them down to 5/16th inch.

Lots of pictures on our blog and on the WB Forum thread.

Quarter knee caps

Look at our blog 22 Nov 15 entry. Don't despair on the date, we are taking our time with the build, pretty much every other project has had priority over this boat, including last year's restoration of Barbashela, yard work, built the shop, restored 6 other boats, etc...

I made a paper pattern for the next plank, traced it and cut it a bit oversize after I added the 3/4 inch lap. Put it on, marked the lap and stringer, took it off, added the 3/4 inch lap and trimmed/planed fair. Got the stringer trimmed close then final trimmed it with router on the boat. I was able to use that new plank as a pattern for the opposite side. Remember to account for the scarf overlap when transferring pattern to plank.

Cheers
    Kent and Audrey
    holler if you need more specifics, not all pics are on the blog.