Thread: Oar toting

Default Oar toting

Finally ( after decades) got fed up with trying to carry two pair of oars hooked under an arm. They never balance nicely, and you keep readjusting the load, while hands are carrying other kit. Todays carry up my rocky beach, then up my hill put me into thinking mode. The traditional oars in a bundle over a shoulder doesn't work so well in rough going. So I made up a loop of line out of the odd bit of six foot stuff I had handy to see if I could use a prussik loop to keep things bundled up. Seems to work. Does anyone out there have schemes for this, other kinds of sllngs or carriers?
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Default Re: Oar toting

Never need to do it, but it seems to me that with a noose knot at each end of the line the oars could be carried like a satchel with the line going over the shoulder, like this, but with the oars across your stomach so you can rest other kit on it.

Here's a simple noose knot that I find handy from time to time;

http://www.animatedknots.com/poachers/

It looks like getting the oars strapped together so they don't shift is half the battle, as rigging a padded carry strap shouldn't be too hard. I'll admit I've never carried oars very far in rough terrain, so just used an over-shoulder carry.

Carried under the arm and against the side like this?

Here's a fancy solution -

Last edited by Thorne; 10-17-2016 at 12:59 PM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I find it easiest to just leave them in the boat.

There are all kinds of interesting rowing 'hacks' like that on www.row2k.com
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

A fathom and a half or so of three eights or half inch line tied as a stopper hitch around both oars towards the ends with the line long enough to be a comfortable carry seems a simple enough solution.
    All those nylon covers and silly velcro dodads strike me as lubberly.

Since you're asking, I wedge an oar between each toe (8 oars maximum), do a handstand, lower my face to the sand, then bounce up the ramp on my toungue.

Works for me.

Ben, how heavy are they? You say two pairs. Would it be easier to carry them in one big bundle, or separately, as pairs?

I would think one big bundle, with head to foot, as it were, with a nice pad under the sling on your shoulder would be nice. I carry some 7 foot oars and several 8 foot paddles all at once like that. We go up and down a trail composed of granite boulders thoughtfully overlaid with pine needles, for excellent traction. I use the kneeling pad from the pirogue under the rope sling to keep my shoulder from being cheese slicered off, and carry the bundle like a satchel. In front of the body on the way down, behind on the way up.
    You might could even work up a dedicated sling with a padded section on it, maybe a sliding job, like on a duffle bag. Shoot, you might could just hook and old duffle bag strap to a couple of rope grommet strops you place around the bundle...

Peace,
    Robert

So far on the KISS front the simple bundle with the pairs going in opposite directions seems to work with the prussik loop length so that it can dangle from a hand or be slung over the shoulder. My forest path is narrow so the bundle has to stay in line. The bag is interesting: I use an old ski bag to carry a quiver of greenland paddles but the length limit is 8'. Point of all this is to mimize the time needed to put it together and something minimal in the boat. Hadn't thought to check in with the sliding community.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.

Oh that poor dog!

Hi Ben, have you considered a couple of those new heavy duty, rubber coated wire twisties that are now available. A couple of those could easily hold two oars tightly together. They are very easily stored and come in a variety of colors.

The green one on the far left of this picture of my Saturday Night Special kept the top of my mast from bouncing around too much on the interstate on my way to and from Texas.

Wanted to let folks who were kind enough to reply where I ended up. Too hard to get the short prussik exactly in the right place to balance stuff so I took the fathom or so of line I was using, put an eye splice in one end. That end gets wrapped around twice with the line run through it on the looms near the blades, then the other end gets cloved down near the other blades. Slack is just right to go over the shoulder. I did find that you need to have two oars running one way, two the other, so that the shaft bundle has a pretty continuous radius.

I do need to poke around for a look for those twisty rubber covered things. I can think of a number of things that they could be used for. I'm not a fan of bungees having once lost a mast to one letting go... lucky no car following closely.
    Ben Fuller

Resurrecting this thread, with my new dory slide now living on the top of the rowing bag, there is more need to control the oar bundle. What is really simple seems to be line them all up in the same direction. The eye splice with the sling running through it creates a nice noose around the oars down at the throat. I even things up at the handles and take the other end and clove it above the leathers. Everthing stays in place and the 3/8" twisted is comfortable enough on my shoulder.
    Ben Fuller

Cut off an old pair of jeans just below the blown out knees. Turn them inside out, sew the cut ends shut, and turn them right side out. You have 2 very durable bags. Put a big grommet into the top edge of each, right next to what was the hem of the pant leg. Rummage around in your boxes of junk and find a shoulder strap with snap hooks on both ends. A bag on each end of the oars, snap the hooks into the grommets, strap over your shoulder, off to the bar. By the way, I use these bags for parts, tools, gold and silver pieces, whatever!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Resurrecting this thread, with my new dory slide now living on the top of the rowing bag, there is more need to control the oar bundle. What is really simple seems to be line them all up in the same direction. The eye splice with the sling running through it creates a nice noose around the oars down at the throat. I even things up at the handles and take the other end and clove it above the leathers. Everthing stays in place and the 3/8" twisted is comfortable enough on my shoulder.
    This also works with the spliced noose above the leathers as observation today showed me.

I like the idea of jean leg as bags. I guess I might have to trim off the tool loops on the carharts, or leave the loops and pockets on the outside to carry more stuff.
    Ben Fuller

Thanks for revisiting this thread and letting us know what you ended up using!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.