Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wooden Boats in Phú Quốc Vietnam

Default Re: Wooden Boats in Phú Quốc Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bateau View Post
    Wow, great variety of craft. Thanks for sharing. Do you know anything more about the boats pictured? And what was the man putting in the water? Fish traps?

Bruce
    In #27? Probably snail traps.

Those aluminium boats you see around Hue are made from old aeroplane skin, I believe.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 08-08-2017 at 05:15 AM.

thanks guys

I don't know much about the boats other than where i saw them and perhaps what i observed them being used for...

it wouldn't surprise me to hear the aluminum canoe is built out of recycled airplanes. . the vietnamese are incredibly resourceful.
    i tried to pick up an old cardboard box off the ground and i was promptly told where to find a shop that exclusively sold used cardboard boxes if that was what i needed.

the man in post #27 retrieving traps in the river was catching little fish... sort of like herring sized.. I saw him shaking them out into the 'wet well ?' built into his boat (that's the square hole there)

the people cooking breakfasts in post #32 live on a little network of floating docks (floating village)
    i think they were farming oysters and also fishing locally for sustenance

the boat with the powerful light at the top of #32 i think is for night fishing squids.

the captain with the dog on the (cement, i think) tanker pictured twice in post #31 was filling our overnight excursion boat with fresh water.
    i love seeing the boats with the laundry hanging to dry.. they are not just a source of livelihood.. it's a home too

Thanks! Traps like that are commonly used for snails in the lakes of Hanoi so I assumed yours were more of the same.

Rick

Its interesting that most of the aluminium boats in Laos are on the same latitude as Hue - about 75 miles to the west. Here's one I flew over with the drone last year.

Some of them are quite large too... pushing 50' or so.

This is one of the boats at Hue

and one of the longer ones in Laos

A smaller one that is clearly a drop tank from a jet

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"