Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooden Boats in Phú Quốc Vietnam

Default Wooden Boats in Phú Quốc Vietnam

I found a motherlode of wooden boats down in Phú Quốc Vietnam, an island down at the very southeastern corner of the country, in the Gulf of Thailand. Unlike many other places I've been, here a great number of the smaller boats were still being made out of wood instead of steel or fiberglass. So, if you like fishing boats and wooden workboats too, buckle your seatbelts, amigos. Here's a heaping helping:

Default Re: Wooden Boats in Phú Quốc Vietnam

And now for some beach-fishing boats. The horns on the ends appear to be for the purpose of attaching the nets. They fish right next toe the beach in shallow water, and the fishermen wade right out into the fray when they are hauling in.

The beach windlass for hauling in the nets was a thing of beauty as well.

These round, woven basket boats are a local tradition. They use them as tenders sometimes, but their main strength seems to be as a platform for jigging for bottomfish or squid. I saw them mostly being sculled like a coracle with a single paddle/oar.

They are very round, and just woven and sewn together. The outsides are tarred or painted to waterproof them. Look at the split cane skids on this one.

The gunwale is just multiple wraps of thin, split pole.

And here's the Rolls Royce version--this one's got an inboard!

Okay, and how about some longtails now? Look at how some of them stow the prop and shaft inboard when not in use.

Phú Quốc is not too a bad of a place to plan a visit for a wooden boat fan. Food's good too. Plus there's sandy beaches and tropical sunshine and warm waters and all that crap as well for those who like that stuff.

Might need to find the photos I shot in the Mekong back in the day. Chau Doc boat yards, long tailed boats with jeep engines. Good stuff.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Wow. Thank you so much. Which is my favorite?! No way to pick. I like the colors, and the shapes, and the fact that every paddle and oar looks like one I made. Maybe the butterflied tire cum bow pudding/beard/bumper is my favorite thing...
    And that blue beach boat with the long oars. Do they row standing, you think?

The seatbelt warning was nice, but I only have lap belts and I whomped my head on the dash, but good.

If you have any more pictures to post, I'll look at them. You have a good eye.
    And, thanks again.

Peace,
    Robert

Good to see them, thanks. There's been a few threads on Vietnamese boats, mostly down in the Bilge, over the years.

It's interesting to see that none of the boats in your photos have the bow decorations that are common up on the Mekong

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Not very attractive boats, but interesting forms and I do like the bright cheery colors, which remind me of work boats in the Med. Thanks for posting these, and yes indeed nice sandy beaches, warm water and bright sun sure works for me.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Neat boats James. What's the story with the sloped cabin tops? Also wondering if you have seen any traditional sailing craft?
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Not sure about the sloped cabin tops, but it's clearly a widespread local feature.

As far as traditional sailing goes, I ain't seen squat anywhere in the entire region Ive visited so far. Sailing is just not common at all, traditional, or modern. I've been sailing Lasers and such out at Changi Sailing Club, and I've never yet had to wait for a boat to become available, even on regatta weekends.

When I island-hopped from Australia to Asia in 2011-12, I saw very few traditional sailing vessels... but there were some.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bateau View Post
    Neat boats James. What's the story with the sloped cabin tops? Also wondering if you have seen any traditional sailing craft?
    Back in the day there were some sail powered craft in SEA. Navy published a recognition manual which I believe has been reprinted; I'd give the title but don't have a copy. And as far at the sloped tops, it has been known to rain really really hard; useful to control the direction that the rain water comes off the tops I should think, and there would be the chance to capture some.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

There are no traditional sailing craft remaining in VN. I'm forever hopeful that sailing will be revived there in some form but fishing is such a desperate lifestyle there now that I think it's highly unlikely.

Basket boats are common right along the VN coast. In the north they're usually sealed with tar. In Central, natural lacquer is still common. In the South, various lacquers, tar, paint and fibreglass are common. Most basket boats are round but in Central (around Da Nang) there are basket boats up to 30' in length and just north of Da Nang, towards Hue, there are extreme banana-shaped basket boats designed for negotiating surf. There are also delightful little oval-shaped ones throughout the plains around Ha Noi, used for tending lotuses and other crops grown in water.

James, you might like to see my old thread on Vietnamese boats. There are some really nice old photos that other contributors provided, including boats with sails.

Rick

If you want to see really big fleets of wooden fishing boats, head up to Phan Thiet and Mui Ne.

Thanks James

Great pictures, James. Some of those skiffs seemed like they'd do well in Florida. The big ones have a lot of style and color - neat boats! Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, James!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Awesome!!! Love the rig on the beach to reel in the nets, looks like he found the only shade on the beach.

i hope it's alright,
    but I enjoyed this thread,
    and thought I might add to it if people were interested in seeing some more photos of vietnamese boats.
    i snapped these while travelling there a few years ago.

they are none from Phú Quốc (as we didn't travel there)
    but they are from as far south as the Mekong Delta heading north to Hanoi and Halong Bay..

we hired this gentleman to ferry us around on a bit of a tour for the entire morning... i think it was $5
    the bit of string he is stepping on with his right foot is the throttle for his little inboard diesel

these boat ladies give tourists from the cities rides in traditional style rowed boats

we asked our friend if he could take us by a boatyard, so this is where he brought us:

Thanks!

here's a future boatbuilder:

wooden boats here still do some serious work !

the river is bustling from morning till night with hundreds of boats passing back and forth..
    this was the scene from our hotel room in Can Tho

I enjoyed the area around Can Tho. They sure like 'em rough down there

somewhere further south.. near Phong Dien we met a very friendly boat lady who offered to take us on a water tour back to her village and farmstead

her boat was tied up behind the stores that line the main street

she took us to a floating market

the majority of boats are wood around here.. and very traditional.
    lots of long shaft motors but some oar powered too.
    i think the water is more efficient than the rudimentary local roads system

Thanks James -and Coelcanth! Fascinating.

around Hoi An

central vietnam

Halong Bay

end of trip !

Wow, great variety of craft. Thanks for sharing. Do you know anything more about the boats pictured? And what was the man putting in the water? Fish traps?

Bruce
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Great pix. Great thread. Thanks all.