Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202930
Results 1,016 to 1,024 of 1024

Thread: Building Arabella (An Atkin Ingrid)

Default Re: Building Arabella (An Atkin Ingrid)

x
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorB View Post
    So, what's been going on?
    Not too much boat work to be honest

We did a monster push to be ready to bend the frames (once we set a date we had to meet it!) and we have had a house full of volunteers so the last week has been getting the shop and house put back together and to get recovered from the work and visitors.

I also had a piece of a tooth break off so there were dentist visits and as crazy as it sounds we are flying to France to get the dental work done because it is cheaper to fly to France and pay out of pocket than to pay out of pocket here.
    Alix's dad lives in Paris and Alix was going to visit him anyways so I am going to tag along. I need a crown ($1,500 here) or $600 for the plane ticket and another $500 out of pocket for the crown in France. So that dictated doing an expedited passport renewal so I have been busy with all of that as well.

In terms of Arabella, 26 out of 74 frames are in and I have been taking them out two at a time, giving them an inspection, a light sand and a couple coats of oil. The sockets have been getting touched up and then two coats of shellac and two coats of antifouling paint. Once the screws come in we will bed them and permanently attach them to the keel timber.

I still need to finish the rabbet and the frame sockets up the stem and stern post. Most of the frame stock is already milled so once the sockets are done we can bend those ones in without much fuss. That will probably all wait until November when we get back from Paris. Between now and France I need to get the frames that are done put to bed and then must prepare for winter! Come early November we will finish the framing job and hope to be hanging some planks by the new year.

A frame going in
    It should be a public link, anyone should be able to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/acorntoarab...1595921279340/

Nap time

Not too shabby for a novice crew

They keep their shape with no support and look mighty fine with a little oil

Heels and sockets are getting painted.

ACORN TO ARABELLA
    For additional info on this project:

www.acorntoarabella.com
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi...WB1xCp6uuUo0VA

[IMG]arabella frames by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Looking mighty "shippy" gentlemen!

Great work.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Hey Steve, you probably have this figured out by now, but I have a theory of what went wrong with the lofting of the rabbet. Now, grain of salt: I haven't built a boat yet, but I've lofted two and ran into a similar problem with a whale strake that had offsets in profile but not in plan.

Having never seen the offset table, my guess is there is a row with half-breadths for the top of keel and one with heights for the rabbet. And it sounds to me like you used the half breadths for the top of keel as half breaths for the rabbet.

When in fact you would have had to develop them from the lofting, something like this:
    Fair the sections.
    Fair in the rabbet in profile.
    Pick up the faired heights for the rabbet from the profile and bring them over to the stations.
    Intersect and pick up the widths for the rabbet.
    Plot the rabbet in plan and check if fair

Looking at the lines, the actual difference in width between rabbet and top of keel seems to be quite small, because the keel is faired in and there is a pronounced wineglass section shape. So I my guess is Atkin didn't plot both lines in plan because they would have been difficult to tell apart, it would have made the development of the lines much harder and wouldn't have made the hull any fairer.

On the other hand if the rabbet is fair in profile and the hull is fair over all, once you intersect the two, the three dimensional rabbet can't help but be a fair line.

I had the pleasure of stopping by this boat shop a couple weeks ago ... might better be described as a boatyard actually considering there is another large sailing vessel sitting on the hard also. It was the day of the first framing and there was quite a crowd on hand! Anyhow, I came down to take advantage of Steve's kind offer to give away the white oak frame cut-offs which, by the way, is pretty nice tight grained clear wood. So I filled my pickup with to it's load carrying capacity; let's just say the rear tires & leaf springs were fairly compressed. Now I've got two piles of wood in my basement shop that over the next couple of years will be resawn & assembled into the shape of a boat. These piles have been made in anticipation of having to lay low for a few weeks following some back surgery so for the month of Oct all I can do is look at it all but come Nov I will start measuring & sawing.

Thanks Steve & Alix! I'll be back in touch when I have something worth looking at sitting on the strongback.
    White oak cut-offs.jpg

White oak end-grain.jpg

African Mahogany.jpg

One man's trash eh? I think I recall part of their offer meant you starting a build thread with whatever you build and keeping us all up to date on what's going on. Your shop looks much too clean for you to be considered trustworthy though. Maybe you should just send that pile of oak my way. My shop clearly indicates my trustworthiness.....

Trustorthymess.jpg
    41278011_265057710785681_6539713643808817152_n.jpg
    Odd Plane gauge1.jpg

See? Plenty trustworthy/
    If you can see past the work in the foreground, you'll see the mess in the background. Now as soon as you're better and recovered from whatever nastiness the surgeons inflict on you, we hope to see your pile of Arabella offcuts transform into whatever beautiful boat you have planned.
    Cheers,
    Daniel
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

A question about the economics of your dental appointment in France. How long are you planning on staying in France?
    My experience with US Dentists and crowns is it’s not a one day fix. There are molds, posts, temporary crowns, labs to mold final crown, fitting, follow up.

Do French Dentists use a different technique/ technology for crowns that is quicker?
    Really nobody’s dang business but yours about thi, but am just curious.

One man's trash eh? I think I recall part of their offer meant you starting a build thread with whatever you build and keeping us all up to date on what's going on. Your shop looks much too clean for you to be considered trustworthy though. Maybe you should just send that pile of oak my way. My shop clearly indicates my trustworthiness.....

Sailor,
    Yes, indeed I will start a thread when the cutting & shaping begins. Actually that's a bit of a tale ... I've not been following doctor's orders very well and have cut the stem already! Stay tuned.

Well follow doctor's orders so you can actually finish the boat. We can wait for that.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Crowns are faster in the US these days than they use to be. They scan your tooth/post, send the image to a CNC/Printer of sorts. It carves the tooth and then they bake it, let it cool and put it in. All while you wait reading a magazine. Pricey though.

DAMHIKT!
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau