Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31404142 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,435 of 1469

Thread: Building Arabella (An Atkin Ingrid)

Default Re: Building Arabella (An Atkin Ingrid)

I was hoping for that picture!

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Fantastic! See you in Mystic!
    Looking forward to it!!!
    ACORN TO ARABELLA
    For additional info on this project:

www.acorntoarabella.com
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi...WB1xCp6uuUo0VA

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    I was hoping for that picture!

Thanks again for all the help and guidance getting it fitted!!!
    ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

Seemed to work. Now for the other side, and on up.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Seemed to work. Now for the other side, and on up.

We got the port plank on yesterday and it was a little different shape than the starboard side, haha. We had to nip off 1/2" or so in a few spots on the bottom edge to get it to settle down into the rabbet.

Hoping to finish backing it out and shaping it today, I would love to have both garboards on before the boat show but I think we will just miss that deadline. It's looking like the port side will be dry fitted and painted but will wait to get hung until after the show. These big garboards have been a bit of a fight! Looking forward to the rest of the planks being narrower and thinner after the garboards I think it will feel like they hung themselves. haha
    ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

Excellent! See you there.

Love it! I think it was mentioned previously, you're going with white oak to the water line?

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Have you guys seen ths thread http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-the-last-time

That might just be your next engine, a Beta 50 sitting there in a barn all alone.

Could save you a lot of planking work too.

http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Victoria's keel is on it's way to it's new home in Louisiana. Jared (the guy that got it from us) plans on building a new Atkin Eric on top of it.

Milled and scarfed the first broad strakes today with the help from a father and son from New Zealand.
    Looking forward to fitting them tomorrow, they seem miniscule compared to the garboards! They should go on a bit easier.

ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

We got the first broad strakes of oak onto the hull. The second broad strakes are scarfed and will get fit soon, also oak and then we will switch to cedar. The changing bevel skill saw we stole from Lou Sauzedde and it works like a charm!
    We are almost done installing the sole beams (easier to fit them now before the planks get that high) and the most exciting news of all is the diesel arrived today from Hansen Marine! We ended up getting an N4. 50, it won't go in until after planking so it's tucked away on the second floor of the boat house for now.

I feel like Thad is giving me the "stink eye" in this pic. haha It was broiling on the second floor of the boathouse! Thanks for the help Thad!
    ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

Nice motor!

Its a whole lot easier to put the engine in place now. You'll have to cover and wrap it and work around it, but you wont have to wrestle it into place through everything else.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Nice work! I was also going to suggest at least installing the engine bed stringers and shaftlog while you have easy access from all sides.

Quote Originally Posted by bdbFC View Post
    Nice work! I was also going to suggest at least installing the engine bed stringers and shaftlog while you have easy access from all sides.
    Nice work! The garboard plank is a good thing to have behind you.

I agree with the above, it's much easier scribing and fitting engine beds if you can get underneath and to the sides. Later on it's like working in a bathtub. Most importantly, it looks cool, that engine sitting in there at a jaunty angle while you can still see it. The usual reason the engine usually goes in last is because nobody wants to shell out the money until the last minute, installation-wise it makes some sense to fit while access is easy.

Jim.

It has been hot as heck the last couple weeks. You guys must be dying.
    Keep up the good work!

-JP

It has indeed been hot! We try to get out in the shop very early in the morning and then take a break mid day and do a little more in the evening. I am very ready for some cooler weather!

The engine beds are in, they have been in for a while.
    We will drill for the prop shaft before we plank that high but I think the engine will stay out until after planking. Trying to peen rivets around the engine seems like a pain. With the shaft drilled and the beds in place it should not be horrible to drop it in and get it hooked up.

Black locust engine beds. There is one more set of frames and a bronze floor to be built on the forward end of the beds just aft of where the mold currently is.

The bronze floors that carry the engine beds before they got welded.

ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

If you put the engine in last it keeps you honest on how you might be able to get it out if needed.....

To take our engine out it would be a few days work, but we know it can be done as it went in !

Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post
    If you put the engine in last it keeps you honest on how you might be able to get it out if needed...
    That's a good point to consider. Can't cut a window in the side and shimmy it out on beams the way we do in steel.

Still, I think you are on the right track. Install it before you build the deck framing. Putting the lid on, that's what makes anything going on inside twice as hard and take ten times longer. That much is the same at least no matter the material.

I'm just watching and reading all this advice.....
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by MoritzSchwarzer View Post
    That's a good point to consider. Can't cut a window in the side and shimmy it out on beams the way we do in steel.

Still, I think you are on the right track. Install it before you build the deck framing. Putting the lid on, that's what makes anything going on inside twice as hard and take ten times longer. That much is the same at least no matter the material.

One of the biggest take away's from disassembling Victoria is how hard it was to take anything apart without damaging/destroying it and how hard it was to access things for maintenance. To get her diesel out you had to either take the diesel apart where it sat or yank the cockpit and the cockpit was not built to come out easily! Neither was the tanks or any of the interior.

With that in mind we are going to try to keep everything as easily accessible and as easy to take apart and put back together as possible. The tentative idea is to strip plank/ epoxy/ maybe even glass together a drop in, bathtub style cockpit so if we ever do need to do major work on the diesel the cockpit could be removed with minimal fuss and destruction and make the diesel and tanks very easy to access/ remove. Not to mention the cockpit would be pretty bombproof. The housetop and deck will likely be some of the last things to get done. I fully agree with the "lid" statement!

I think one of Victoria's biggest issues was lack of maintenance in places that were hard to maintain. It seems like the builders did not consider at all what it would be like to take things apart to work on her. Since I will likely be doing the work in the future I want to make damn sure it's not a blimey nightmare to do! It may take some more time and expense now but if she is built to come apart with minimal fuss it will make it that much more likely that the work will get done in a timely fashion in the future, even it it's occurring after I own her.

Finished installing the sole beams today and tomorrow we launch into cutting and hanging the second broad strakes.
    ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

We had to get our engine in without the transmission. It's actually very quick to remove, so don't hesitate if you need the clearance.

Have you seen the boat Ziska ? I like the fact it doesn't have a cockpit.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark0; 08-03-2019 at 07:01 AM.

J.Madison is Internet famous!

Ben Sebens, RN

Yep, love the forum shout out. Especially that you just said "the forum."
    -JP

Quote Originally Posted by jcpout2c View Post
    Yep, love the forum shout out. Especially that you just said "the forum."
    -JP

It's like if you are a well traveled rock climber, you just say "The Valley" "The Creek" The Nose" "Font"... folks in the know will know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Those that don't are so confused as to which valley and creek and why would you want to climb on a nose or wtf is a font? haha

In all seriousness though, that was very sage and helpful advice J Madison gave. Every hour and I mean every hour someone tells us we need/should/must do something some way. Madison was right, let most of it go in one ear and out the other! ha!

The second broad strake on the port side is almost fit, should get it final fit today and get started marking and cutting out it's mate.
    After the second broads are on we need to hit pause on the planking and wrap up a few details, the prop shaft needs drilling and we have to finish the rabbet on the stem and stern. There are 3 sets of frames in the stem and 4 in the stern that are missing as well, they are so short, straight and with so much shape fore-aft that sawing them seemed to make more sense than steaming them. So we have a few sawn frames to make as well as a few more bronze floors. Once those tasks are complete we will move the cedar from the garage and start heading for the sheer strake as fast as we can!

The garboard was spiled up forward a bit but the broad strakes are just straight planks, no spiling, no taper, just 4-5" oak bent and edge set into place. After the broad strakes we have to make up about 3" at midship before we hit the waterline so a couple planks will need a little taper but it's hardly anything. We can make that 3" up easily before we hit the waterline and they can all be taper free planks after that. It's mind boggling it works out that easily. Not sure if we will need to spile or not as we work up but so far the edge set has been so little it's been really easy to clamp/strap them down. The longer cedar planks should be even easier than these short and twisted oak ones!
    Big thanks to Thad for helping us line off and get it sorted out!

ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

Quote Originally Posted by sdenette View Post
    Every hour and I mean every hour someone tells us we need/should/must do something some way. Madison was right, let most of it go in one ear and out the other! ha!
    You can't build a boat without attracting a crowd of old farts, putting down their crab nets long enough to shamble over and peer over top of their bi-focals to see just how bad you're f**king it up, shaking their heads and muttering.

It's what we do. One day you will too.

Keep on truckin'.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Ledger; 08-05-2019 at 01:49 PM.

The trick of coarse is figuring out what piece of information is correct, who has the experience or if they just googled something. I prefer when people state "this is how I did it.... blah blah blah.... this is how I would improve it..... blah blah blah.....This is what I found difficult.... blah blah blah..... contact me with any questions".

I just posted here about drilling long holes, something I've never done before in wood. Lots of good advice from people that have done it.... posting the same question on FB lead to answers like "just build a jig".... What I'm always looking for is the "here's the trick, or the slick way of doing it". Most of those tricks aren't in any books, they are learnt from years of experience.

Your boat is starting to look like a boat ! Great work.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Guess they didn't need a 40 ft long steam box!!

There are 3 sets of frames in the stem and 4 in the stern that are missing as well, they are so short, straight and with so much shape fore-aft that sawing them seemed to make more sense than steaming them. So we have a few sawn frames to make as well as a few more bronze floors.

I've been waiting patiently for the explanation for the missing frames. Thanks.

Got the last oak plank on the port side fastened this morning. Got to fit it's mate on the starboard side and then we will pause on planking and wrap up the frames, floors and prop shaft. So looking forward to hanging some cedar planks, I have a sneaking suspicion they will be less work than these oak beasts have been.

Speaking of the prop shaft, it's rather short and only needs to be 1-1/2" diameter so it should not be a huge undertaking, but any tips on setting up a boring bar would be appreciated! =) I think we will drill it to 1" with our twist bits then use a boring bar to finish it off and make sure it is totally true.

The second broad strake on the port side, aka the last oak plank on the port side. Cedar from here until the sheer strake!

ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

See that plank twist!
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 08-05-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Re: boring prop shaft hole:
    You are going to need a flat surface normal to the shaft to mount the cutlass bearing/seal housing. So start there, then use your welder and machine tools to make a dummy cutlass housing with a bushing to guide your pilot drill.

Why do I think she's going to have a bronze stem plate? 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Kevbo View Post
    Re: boring prop shaft hole:
    You are going to need a flat surface normal to the shaft to mount the cutlass bearing/seal housing. So start there, then use your welder and machine tools to make a dummy cutlass housing with a bushing to guide your pilot drill.
    Don't know where I saw it, a welded up a big C frame, very rigid aligned so the location could be determined at both ends of the long hole

Lovely lovely shape there. Just right.

Can I assume that the plank ends are going to be faired down to the stems?

Ben Sebens, RN