Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Arabella (An Atkin Ingrid)

Default Re: Building Arabella (An Atkin Ingrid)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    Those are some nice, substantial molds...three layers apiece?
    Yeah, 3 layers each, glued and screwed from both sides with deck screws. I am using wide, crooked White Pine boards that are around 7/8" give or take (I just ran the pile thru the planer until they were all flat and the same thickness, never bothered to measure them)

The cross spall and diagonal braces slide into the pockets in the middle layer of the mold. Once the two sides are laid out and lined up, the cross spall and diagonal braces are glued and screwed in as well. They seem pretty solid =) With the big saw we can leave all 6 layers together and slice them out in one shot. It's pretty awesome

The VFD is great, the saw starts and stops very smoothly and slowly. Being able to push a button and slowly adjust the speed up or down and to have 6 predetermined speeds I can select is amazing. Totally worth the $400 it cost to set up.

Congrats! I posted on ur Facebook too
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...58#post3996158

Quote Originally Posted by sdenette View Post
    First off, thanks for all the knowledge so far!

I have been reading the forum for years, if this forum didn't exist I don't think I would be doing what I am right now. So thanks!

By following Concordia Yawl #26 Restoration, Lofting the Brewer Cat Boat, Building the Maid, (just to name a few, there are so many) I have learned a ton and been very inspired to just go for it.

Since you all are unknowingly a large influence in this project I figured it's only fair I share the journey with you.

Our story reads like a bad joke
    A French ex-pat, a dyed in the wool New England-er and a Norwegian wolf dog are building a wooden boat....

We are two guys in our early 30's and have decided to build an Ingrid from scratch. We felled the trees this past winter, borrowed a sawmill, turned the logs into boards, built a ramshackle boat shed, a lofting floor and now we're ready to start.

My name is Steve, I am the builder and dyed in the wool New England-er. Alix is the French ex-pat, my helping hand and is making a running video documentary of the build. You can find that here www.acorntoarabella.com

I plan to post here with much more detail about the actual construction than will go into the videos. As well as ask questions when I have them, and boy o boy will I have questions!

We were ready to start just over a month ago but "The Man" stopped by and wanted to know where our building permit was. Whoops!

Long story short we had to take down and move the boat shed, get site plans, signatures from the Conservation Commission..... So if you saw a post titled "Sourcing for 12,000lbs of lead" a little while back and wondered what ever came of that guy you now know. Tied up in red tape. We have found some lead but are still in need of much more if you know where we can find some. =)

Now that we are all permitted and legal we are ready to begin! Lofting begins this weekend, the lofting floor just needs another coat of paint which will happen tomorrow.

I have never built a boat before so any advice from the folks who have would be much appreciated.

I own, have read, and understood "Details of Classic Boat Construction" by Larry Pardey, "How to Build a Wooden Boat" by Bud McIntosh, "Lofting" by Allan Vaitses, and "Building Small Boats" by Greg Rossel. As well as information gleaned from this and other forums. I also know my way around a wood shop well enough.

We are building an Atkin Ingrid and we desire to build her as close to the way she was built in 1934 when the lines were drawn. We will use silicon bronze fasteners and make other upgrades where it makes sense but in general we want to build her as planned.

I think that's about enough info to begin. I will be posting more soon I am sure.

My Grandpa and the old Massey Ferguson, a Beer and White Pine, A hunk of Future Keel Timber, The Ramshackle Boat Shed

great little short ship you've got started on there, what are you plans for her once she hits the water?

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Congrats! I posted on ur Facebook too

Thanks! and thanks for sharing the video in FB, much appreciated!

If you follow us on FB, Instagram, here and Youtube you will see every stitch of information and progress we put out there. Also if you are ever in the area feel free to drop us a line and stop in, we love showing folks the project. There is not a ton to see right now but that's all changing soon =)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    great little short ship you've got started on there, what are you plans for her once she hits the water?

She is a short ship, a performance yacht she is not!

The plan is to go missing. haha

There is no real plan, I have to learn to sail her and work out any kinks so we will probably spend a few months to maybe a year cruising the eastern sea board from the Florida Keys up to Nova Scotia with a rotating crew of friends and family. After that, who knows? Maybe I'll hate sailing and will sell her.

More likely I'll go missing like previously stated and randomly pop up places like Baffin Island, the Fjords of Norway, Patagonia, Madagascar, Antarctica, (all on my hit list) but who the hell knows! haha

I do know, both Alix and I love climbing and travel, specifically big wall/big mountain, adventure style of climbing and off the beaten track, locals only style traveling. Hopefully Arabella will be my/our floating home base while we explore the worlds oceans, cultures and vertical terrain. Hence the decision to make a heavy displacement short ship, we have gear to haul and wild places to go.

I've lived pretty big chunks of my life in the back country or on the water living out of a pack, sled, canoe or kayak and am blissfully content for the most part, 60 days out is my record and I have hit 30 days more than once. Setting up and taking down camp and carrying/dragging my stuff are the only parts I grow tired of. Compared to a kayak or back pack Arabella will be a mansion! I think I will like it just fine, if I am a ocean vagabond in 40 years I won't be surprised.

So....I guess the plan is to head out on a hopefully never ending expedition!?

Great dream I once shared. A veritable Tilman phase.

One of my specifics was to sail to the Antarctic and climb Mt. Murphy because Robert Cushman Murphy was a mentor. To learn about that remarkable man, read his “Logbook for Grace” or his granddaughter’s retelling in “Ambassador to the Penguins.” An appreciative essay is at http://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/22/ny...ng-island.html.

After Dad captained PanAm’s 50th Anniversary “Bipolar Circumnavigation” stunt - VIPs in a 747 NY-Moscow directly over north pole; Moscow-Sidney-Buenos Aires over the South Pole; and back to NY - I dreamed of a similar sail: Trans Siberian Sea Route, down through the Bering; see Antarctica and back up the Atlantic.

The pleasures of causing trouble ashore got in the way of all that and now the dreams Meg and I share are much more modest. But I hope we cross wakes along the way. Your project is totally finastkind.

Ian,

I am sure our paths will cross again and hopefully our wakes will as well. I have a lot to learn about sailing and folks like you are the exact ones I want to learn from!

Before I get much farther into building the molds I have one question I am hoping y'all can help me sort out.

The half breadths have lines for "Top of Iron" and "Bottom of Keel". This does not make sense to me because they should be the same line since the top of the iron is bolted to the bottom of the keel. According to the half breadths the "Top of Iron" is roughly 2 inches wider than the "bottom of the Keel". So the ballast keel overhangs the wooden keel by 2"?

Atkin also does not give a half breadth for the rabbet, the only place the rabbet is shown is in the profile view.

I made the molds assuming that "Top of Iron" should actually be labeled "Top of Keel" and that would also represent at least the vast majority of the half breadth of the rabbet, assuming that the sides of the keel stay 90* to the top of the keel from the rabbet on up. The wood keel would then be 2" wider than the ballast keel and that 2" would be shaved off and shaped from below the rabbet to the top of the ballast keel. "Bottom of Keel" would represent the half breadth of the top of iron and bottom of the wood keel since they bolt together and I would assume should be the same width.

Does this sound correct? I hope I did not mess up the first 3 molds. I don't think I did but I want to be sure before I make 11 more!

Thanks!

Could it be that " bottom of keel" is actually the bottom of iron or profile line, so that would mean your iron ballast is narrower at bottom.
    Are you using lead or iron for ballast cos they will be different shapes? And your timber will be different. I'm too lazy to go back and check. I just remember some discussion about that.

does it have a note somewhere saying something like " rabbet half width is same as half breadth of keel" . As long as you have it on profile you'll have the vertical location and the shape is governed by planking fid.
    Last edited by andrewpatrol; 03-01-2017 at 02:28 PM.

I think Andrew may have it right. Surely this all got looked over during lofting? I find it hard to believe that you had a fair lofting, but put the halfbreadths a foot too high!

Normal for the rabbet to only appear in the profile view. I would recommend drawing in the full cross section of ballast and wood keel at each station to be sure you build your molds to the correct height.

That could make sense, the bottom of the ballast keel would be 10" wide at it's widest and end up 14" at the top, the keel timber is supposed to be 16" wide according to the literature.

We are using lead and the difference in design is pretty small. Here is the info given for doing lead instead of iron

In Bud's book he references the half breadth of the rabbet a fair amount in laying down the body plan and making the molds. Without that information I am getting tripped up and am not sure and am second guessing how to shape the bottom of the molds.

If I understand it correctly:
    In Bud's book he draws the half breadth of the rabbet and uses that information to square out from the center line to determine the point of the rabbet for the body plan which he touts as a scared mark. This point is also used when making the molds, he references it a couple of times.

I don't have a half breadth of the rabbet to use. If I did Bud would make total sense and I would not be asking, he seems to think that should be included in the plans. Guess he forgot to tell Atkin's haha!

I felt a lot more confident a couple months ago when I made the first two molds and after having to kinda figure it out a second time months later I am second guessing myself and that's probably not a bad thing. The more I think about it the more confused I get.

Do I understand you to mean that you don't have the rabbet half breadths included in your table of offsets?

Do I understand you to mean that you don't have the rabbet half breadths included in your table of offsets?

You understand me correctly. The table of offsets only provide the rabbet in profile view.

can you show us a pic of offsets? Are there any drawings of body plans?
    Last edited by andrewpatrol; 03-01-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    can you show us a pic of offsets? Are there any drawings of body plans?

You should put links to your social media outlets in the signature part of your posts - I didn't know about them until today.
    "Oh my god, Triscuits are, like, the best." L.F Herreshoff, The Compleat Cruiser

I think you may have to revisit your loft and draw in timbers and draw your rabbet in using a similar method to Larry Pardey in his book on construction, especially chapter 4, page 70.
    It looks like "bottom of keel" is actually what might also be referred to as "profile" and not the bottom of timber which sits on ballast.

I think we found the half breadth for the rabbet/keel timber assembly.
    There is a unlabeled line in one of the construction drawings that looks ominously like what we need. I'll post a picture tonight and y'all can confirm or deny my guess. If it is what I think it is we can scale it up and have the info we have been missing in short order.

If I had reliable wheels I'd up there sawing wood with ya!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...58#post3996158

Hopefully this will only clarify where to trim the bottoms of the molds and there won't be any other issues, but, I have to ask, how did you get to the point of making molds without having come up against this question during the lofting?

Hopefully this will only clarify where to trim the bottoms of the molds and there won't be any other issues, but, I have to ask, how did you get to the point of making molds without having come up against this question during the lofting?

Very fair question! False bravodo? Being young and eager and stupid?
    We did run into that problem and figured out some sort of solution, I have to lay the molds back down and see exactly what we did. It was so long ago and we went back and forth so many times that I can't recall exactly what we did. It will be interesting to see how far off the molds are or if by crazy random happenstance we got it right, or close to right but I doubt it. Thankfully it will only mean altering the bottom of two molds as we have not cut the bottom of the 3rd mold yet.
    My hope is that when all of this is done and Arabella is floating someone will read this thread and think to themselves "if that dumbass could do it so can I!" I am going to make a lot more mistakes but I'll get there in the end or die trying :-)
    As Mary Pickdord once said "this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." And I never stay down for long :-)

ill post pics of the suspected half breadth when I get home from work tonight.

If It were me, I'd leave those mold bottoms untrimmed until the backbone was set up. This would allow letting the inner line of the keel timber land where it may and then scribing the molds down to the marks.

Here is the line in question.
    I think that the half breadth of the rabbet is represented in the lower drawing in the image below. It runs from bow to stern just below the center line. Using the scale rule it fits with a 6" sided stem and stern with a 16" wide keel timber. If it is indeed the line in question then I should be able to take scale measurements at each station, draw it out full size, make sure the points are fair and I will have the half breath of the rabbet. Correct?

If It were me, I'd leave those mold bottoms untrimmed until the backbone was set up. This would allow letting the inner line of the keel timber land where it may and then scribing the molds down to the marks.
    I'm not quite following you.
    Can you elaborate on "This would allow letting the inner line of the keel timber land where it may and then scribing the molds down to the marks"

Thank you all so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

I expect the dotted line is the rabbet line. You want your molds to drop over the keel timber to the bearding line. You will be cutting your rabbet in the backbone timbers prior to setup and have the mold stations marked on the backbone timbers so you can notch the molds to fair the mold to the rabbet.

Steve, I reckon the line you're talking ( the one that hits the engine bearer) about is top of keel timber, the rabbet is several inches below that and probably less half breadth.

are there any sectional drawings ( like a body plan) on the plans?

you have, from bottom up, " bottom of keel" then " top of iron" and then " WL 5" etc half breadths and it looks like the keel timber is to inside of planking. So with those half breadths I'd just run a batten over them for each station then draw in timbers and use a planking fid to get your rabbet.

that line in last pic is maybe a bit small to scale off but it's a check anyway and it shows keel timber to inside of planking.

bit strange on the offsets " WL6 " but no figures ?? Wonder what's going on there.
    Last edited by andrewpatrol; 03-02-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Now you have the same information that I do.

I dearly hope no one takes these images and tries to build a Ingrid without purchasing the plans. The plans can be found here http://atkinboatplans.com/Sail/Ingrid.html and the the plans only cost $275 USD. You will be in touch with a incredibly nice woman by the name of Pat Atkin, it's money well spent.

What ya'll are saying makes sense to my brain but that might all change when I try to put pencil to lofting floor. haha

The weather is cold and blustery this weekend so I am going to keep reading and mulling this over until the following weekend when in hopefully warmer conditions I will try to do some lofting and sort all this out. The more I understand about lofting the more I realize there is still a lot to learn. I imagine lofting ones second boat is infinitely easier than lofting the first.

I want to take some measurements and start roughing out the first bronze order this weekend.

The plans call for iron fastenings throughout (except for the lead keel variation, Atkin specs bronze for that). I am going to use silicon bronze instead of galvanized iron, should I keep the diameters the same or do they need to change?

http://www.onlinemetals.com/ seems to be the best place to get the bronze rod that I can find. If I surf their site and wait a day or two I get pop up ads for 10% off my order which is no small thing with a order this size. Does anyone know of a better source for the rod?

Thanks again for helping the newbie out!

My remark regarding the trimming of the bottom of the molds has to do with fitting/scribing the molds to the "as built" keel, as opposed to trimming the mold bottoms according to the lofting. For the same reason we measure for cabinets from the actual room and not the plan, that way we're sure they'll fit.

I find Online Metals to be an excellent source for bronze rod. I only buy the bronze as I need it, beyond having a small assortment around the shop to work with. It arrives in about two days, so it's easy enough to anticipate need. Barring price increases, there's little point to having material on hand that you won't need for a couple of years.

Well......

Looks like major boat building is on hold for the next 6 weeks or so while my broken leg heals =(

2 weekends ago Alix (my boat building/videographer partner) and I went to the climbing gym to climb for fun. Long story short, I got a hard catch, clipped a hold with my left ankle and broke the knob off the bottom/inside of my tibia.

I am in a hard cast right now, I go in Wednesday for surgery to have a plate and screws put in to make sure it heals right and that will help reduce my recovery time. After Wednesday I have 2 weeks in a hard cast followed by 4 weeks in an air boot cast, I can't weight it for the full 6 weeks. In 6 weeks I should still be in the boot but should be starting to weight it again, at which point I can probably get back to work on Arabella.

Not only am I out of commission, I am also out quite the pile of cash for doctor bills. Double whammy!

In the meantime Alix set up a work bench in the house and lugged in most of my hand tools so I am working on sharpening and tuning them. Some just need a quick hone, others need some major work. Still moving forward, just slower than ever. haha

Post injury, prior to bruising. I'll spare y'all the bruised pictures, pretty gross looking =/

My makeshift work bench and a decent selection of my hand tools and sharpening supplies. I can even do my laundry from my bench! hahaha

I probably won't post much during my recovery unless y'all are interested in old tool restoration, in which case I can document a couple of the tools and my process for restoring life to them.

Also if anyone has a pile of old Wooden Boat Magazines or similar publications that you would not mind parting with I will gladly pay for the shipping cost. keeping sane is going to be a challenge and lots of interesting reading will help! =)

Just another bump in what I am sure will be a long and bumpy road! =)

On a much happier note!

Alix and I would like to extend an invite to everyone and anyone who would like to come check out our project, help us celebrate my 32nd birthday, the end of my weight free days for my leg and hopefully raise a few $ for the lead for the keel.

We will be supplying a lamb and assorted birds on a spit over the fire with some home made pies and roasted veggies. If you desire something else feel free to bring it. BYOB

We would love to show you what we have done, hear your insights and suggestions and just have a plain old fun party!

Hope to see ya'll there!

Well......

Looks like major boat building is on hold for the next 6 weeks or so while my broken leg heals =(

2 weekends ago Alix (my boat building/videographer partner) and I went to the climbing gym to climb for fun. Long story short, I got a hard catch, clipped a hold with my left ankle and broke the knob off the bottom/inside of my tibia.

I am in a hard cast right now, I go in Wednesday for surgery to have a plate and screws put in to make sure it heals right and that will help reduce my recovery time. After Wednesday I have 2 weeks in a hard cast followed by 4 weeks in an air boot cast, I can't weight it for the full 6 weeks. In 6 weeks I should still be in the boot but should be starting to weight it again, at which point I can probably get back to work on Arabella.

Not only am I out of commission, I am also out quite the pile of cash for doctor bills. Double whammy!

In the meantime Alix set up a work bench in the house and lugged in most of my hand tools so I am working on sharpening and tuning them. Some just need a quick hone, others need some major work. Still moving forward, just slower than ever. haha

Post injury, prior to bruising. I'll spare y'all the bruised pictures, pretty gross looking =/

My makeshift work bench and a decent selection of my hand tools and sharpening supplies. I can even do my laundry from my bench! hahaha

I probably won't post much during my recovery unless y'all are interested in old tool restoration, in which case I can document a couple of the tools and my process for restoring life to them.

Also if anyone has a pile of old Wooden Boat Magazines or similar publications that you would not mind parting with I will gladly pay for the shipping cost. keeping sane is going to be a challenge and lots of interesting reading will help! =)

Just another bump in what I am sure will be a long and bumpy road! =)
    Happy birthday!

Arrrg sorry to hear about the accident. A similar accident happen to my partner at the other and of the rope. She was leading the second pitch, fell only 10 inch or so, the placement was perfect and cam held, but the foot broke when she hit the cliff. We were far out inte wilderness and it took a very long time just to get her down and transport her to a track and then back to civilisation. She had a long rehab but is back to climbing now.
    /F
    Last edited by trango; 03-13-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trango View Post
    Happy birthday!

Arrrg sorry to hear about the accident. A similar accident happen to my partner at the other and of the rope. She was leading the second pitch, fell only 10 inch or so, the placement was perfect and cam held, but the foot broke when she hit the cliff. We were far out inte wilderness and it took a very long time just to get her down and transport her to a track and then back to civilisation. She had a long rehab but is back to climbing now.
    /F

Thanks!

That sure sounds like a fairly epic outing! Where were you climbing? She must have hit the wall just right, that's wild.

I have literally taken and caught hundreds if not thousands of rides in my life and the ironic part is all the worst ones have been short, hard catches. I walked away from all the big screamers with nary a scratch.

Surgery got pushed back until tomorrow. After surgery I can start to count down the days until I can walk again! Till then I'll keep sharpening tools and trying to move forward on the build as best I can.
    Finally got a good image of the break, at least its a clean one.

Is that bottom bit broken too, Steve, or just there on left

Happy mending

Ouch!

Sorry to hear about the accident. Maybe this late-arriving winter won't be such a bad thing for you.

I'm guessing that a super-active guy like you will go nuts without something to do - and I'm also guessing that everything has been sharpened by now.

Maybe this can be the chance to learn about and explore skills that are way down the road for you?

Others will have better suggestions, but how about splicing line, making blocks, turning belaying pins, or carving the figurehead? Will you need a butterfly hatch? Start building a tender? Fancy steering wheel or tiller? Read about casting bronze? Make a model of your boat?

Just trying to be helpful.

Kenny
    "Oh my god, Triscuits are, like, the best." L.F Herreshoff, The Compleat Cruiser

Just the left side is broken, the very clear fracture. It is the knob on the inside of your ankle, there is a lot going on around it hence getting the pins.

There is also a divot in my cartilage they are going to explore arthroscopically, but I am 90% sure that is a very old injury and has never bothered me.

I still have a few tools to sharpen, sharpening goes fast but lapping is sssslllloooooowwwwww! I have a bunch of old tools that I have not restored yet, those take time. I have been lapping the back of a Stanley Sweetheart Spoke Shave for like 4 hours and am almost done with the coarse diamond plate.

Looking long term is a very valid idea. I am continually researching which I will continue to do. I could turn belay pins, make blocks... but I am unsure of how I should size them, I really need to do more research on rigging. That is a big gap in my knowledge I need to start filling.

Does anyone have any recommendations for books about rigging, interior layout and design, paint... I think I have enough resources to see me though the building of the hull but after that I am flying a bit more blind. Thankfully there is plenty of time before I need to address those challenges!

I picked up a book on violin making to read the next couple days while I am truly couch bound and might start poking away at making one while I am laid up. Having something else that is not boat related will be good for my mental health while I recover and a violin has been on my list for a while, I even have some nice thick slabs of Sugar Maple I can start shaping.

Part of me wants to just hack the foot off and get back to work but that is not a good long term solution! ha!

I suggest starting on things you can work on. If you can turn pins, go for it. Block making? Why not? Maybe pin rails, fife rails.... Not sure how laid up you are if your'e considering turning belaying pins though. If you can do that, I'm sure there's plenty of other stuff you could work on. Cleats and other small bits of trim that don't need to be fit to size yet. Keep sharpening for now I think. You can never have your tools too sharp anyway, right?
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Just the left side is broken, the very clear fracture. It is the knob on the inside of your ankle, there is a lot going on around it hence getting the pins.

There is also a divot in my cartilage they are going to explore arthroscopically, but I am 90% sure that is a very old injury and has never bothered me.

I still have a few tools to sharpen, sharpening goes fast but lapping is sssslllloooooowwwwww! I have a bunch of old tools that I have not restored yet, those take time. I have been lapping the back of a Stanley Sweetheart Spoke Shave for like 4 hours and am almost done with the coarse diamond plate.

Looking long term is a very valid idea. I am continually researching which I will continue to do. I could turn belay pins, make blocks... but I am unsure of how I should size them, I really need to do more research on rigging. That is a big gap in my knowledge I need to start filling.

Does anyone have any recommendations for books about rigging, interior layout and design, paint... I think I have enough resources to see me though the building of the hull but after that I am flying a bit more blind. Thankfully there is plenty of time before I need to address those challenges!

I picked up a book on violin making to read the next couple days while I am truly couch bound and might start poking away at making one while I am laid up. Having something else that is not boat related will be good for my mental health while I recover and a violin has been on my list for a while, I even have some nice thick slabs of Sugar Maple I can start shaping.

Part of me wants to just hack the foot off and get back to work but that is not a good long term solution! ha!
    Get Well Soon.

looking forward to following your violin... or is it a fiddle? making exploits on these pages... then back to the boat.

ps I think you should give Arabella a gaff rig.