Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3121314 LastLast

Thread: Building Arabella (An Atkin Ingrid)

Default Re: Building Arabella (An Atkin Ingrid)

You Could try Uship. Since you don’t really care if it gets damaged and you can drag it off the trailer when you gets home

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    You Could try Uship. Since you don’t really care if it gets damaged and you can drag it off the trailer when you gets home
    Cut er in half make 2 sheds? https://www.treehugger.com/sustainab...ds-photos.html Guessing her keel cannot work on your build?

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Am I the only one that sees the strange irony here? you guys are going to cut up an Atkin to build or help build another Atkin. Not necessarily A Bad Thing because thedonor boat would probably just be cut up and burned otherwise.

Irony? not sure, Tradition for certain, along the coast here it's how boats have been built by generations descended from the Puritan settlers, nothing went to waste, nothing.

the hemp of old worn out lines and rigging was chopped mixed with cotton and hammered to calk the seams of new boats.

the fastening and hardware of a schooner might be used on 2 or even 3 generations of boats... I know of 2 boats built along this coast in the past 20 years that were built to take the fittings of a tired and worn out hull.

nothing like modern/post modern disposable culture.

the other option for a hull like Syndete is buying would be conversion to a motor launch... if the hull were in decent condition, the ballast might be removed, internal ballast in the form of concrete poured in and the hull sans sailing rig etc. used as an especially seaworthy power launch for some island community etc...
    Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 10-20-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Irony? not sure, Tradition for certain, along the coast here it's how boats have been built by generations descended from the Puritan settlers, nothing went to waste, nothing.

the hemp of old worn out lines and rigging was chopped mixed with cotton and hammered to calk the seams of new boats.

the fastening and hardware of a schooner might be used on 2 or even 3 generations of boats... I know of 2 boats built along this coast in the past 20 years that were built to take the fittings of a tired and worn out hull.

the other option for a hull like Syndete is buying would be conversion to a motor launch... if the hull were in decent condition, the ballast might be removed, internal ballast in the form of concrete poured in and the hull sans sailing rig etc. used as an especially seaworthy power launch for some island community etc...
    Irony, both are Atkin boats

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Call Peter Stamm of Stonington Marine Transport http://www.smtboat.com/ He moves my boat (33ft wood) as well as boats for Snediker yacht restoration in Pawcatuck CT. He knows his stuff about wood boat moving and has good rates (a lot less than the $ you posted to move mine 200 miles three years ago).

We will document her well, don't worry.

Maybe it comes with being 5th generation on a farm and knowing 3 older generations, their stories and have/are using their tools. Or maybe I am just a sentimental schmuck
    but
    Preserving the history/story of the boat is something that is important to us. She has sailed for 70+ years and has traveled all over the Caribbean, Eastern Seaboard, through the Panama Canal and around the pacific for a bit and maybe more. Who knows how many people have loved her, spent time on her.... We don't want to see that history lost. A huge part of the look and feel of Arabella will be from the parts taken from Victor, we want to be able to know/show/tell where all of that came from. This will be the third boat that has gone into our build, Arabella will be old even though she will be brand new =)

So far the lowest bid is $1,254. The movers are crazy busy and it seems moving a heavy old woodie is not the first choice for a lot of them! Ha!

Going to keep looking over the weekend and will pull the trigger and book transport Monday. The mast is being pulled next week and we are hoping to have her here the first or second week of November.

Once we get her I will take a bunch of pics and post them. We have a lot more work ahead of us! I still gotta pour our keel this winter as well! Always soooo much to do!

Any advice on getting her moved and setting her up for longish term parking in the yard? I have a set of boat stands from a boat we cut up and some blocks to put her on but this is a first for me so any pointers would be appreciated.

We plan to get her set up, cleaned out and then slowly pick her apart. We constantly have folks swinging thru so we might set her up for guest housing for a while =)

As always thanks for the advice and for following along!!
    ACORN TO ARABELLA
    For additional info on this project:

www.acorntoarabella.com
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi...WB1xCp6uuUo0VA

Quote Originally Posted by sdenette View Post
    We constantly have folks swinging thru so we might set her up for guest housing for a while =)

As always thanks for the advice and for following along!!
    Oh fun!

We constantly have folks swinging thru so we might set her up for guest housing for a while =)
    Years ago we stayed at a home hostel in Alaska. One of the "rooms" was in the boat in the backyard!

Kenny
    "Oh my god, Triscuits are, like, the best." L.F Herreshoff, The Compleat Cruiser

Those are cool buildings.

We were thinking of leaving her upright on the jack stands or maybe a cradle and build a staircase to get up onto her. It will be cool to have a boat to show people and she is only 6' shorter and 4" narrower so it will help give us a idea of our interior. We figure we will clean her out and leave her set up until we actually need to strip her for parts. The boat was chock full of stuff, apparently it's all coming with her, should be a adventure cleaning her out!

Maybe we will ask for a small donation to sleep aboard her next time we have a shindig =)

So many possibilities!
    ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

I think we will be in your area the Sunday before Thanksgiving. It’d be great to swing by and check out your progress.

What is the old boat's design? Kinda makes me sad. Is it beyond reasonable repair? Put a cover or roof over the "guesthouse" and maybe you'll decide to put her back to good health someday.

Plenty of soulless boats out there for parts... Plenty of good wooden ones dying for lack of love too, so its not like she would necessarily have better prospects without you I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    What is the old boat's design? Kinda makes me sad. Is it beyond reasonable repair? Put a cover or roof over the "guesthouse" and maybe you'll decide to put her back to good health someday.

Plenty of soulless boats out there for parts... Plenty of good wooden ones dying for lack of love too, so its not like she would necessarily have better prospects without you I understand.

She is an Atkin Dragon built in 1927 in Brooklyn NY according to the current owner.
    It sounds like she has a storied past. The current owner got her 10 years ago when she was abandoned on the East Coast. He motored her around a bit, popped a plank, did some minor repairs, kept her limping along always hoping one day to restore her or to find someone who would. 2016 she was in the water and leaking bad from the stem and the stern. The stem and stern are disintegrating on the inside and the outside. She needs a new backbone at the least and has been on the hard since she was hauled out the end of 2016, planks are loosing fairness and starting to pop their nails. As far as condition that's all I know for sure, we looked at her real quick, I spent like 2 minutes below.

We responded to the craigslist ad a while ago and told him to try to find someone to restore her but if not we would purchase her and part her out for our boat. He could not find anyone to restore her and he leaves for Florida in late November and the boat needs to be gone by then. He had a bunch of offers from people who wanted to sail her and from people who wanted to part her out for profit. The owner believes she would be dangerous to sail in the current condition (I agree!) and did not want someone to sink her or get hurt, he also did not want to see her parted out for top dollar. Seems Alix and I are the best of the bad options for her.

On one hand I am sad to see a cool old boat destroyed and on the other hand I am on cloud 9 to get the motor and so much hardware so cheap!

We won't restore her, I have no desire to tackle a huge restoration like this one. We will use all the bronze hardware of which she is encrusted, probably take the Perkins diesel and will salvage as much of the lumber as we can. Supposedly the backbone is teak, planking ceder and the rest mahogany.

Once we get her here I will take pictures and explore her more. If anyone wants to try to save the hull after we pull the hardware you can have it, just gotta get it moved.
    ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

Trucking is booked!

November 3rd she get's delivered!

Ya'll can expect pics sometime that weekend, stay tuned!
    ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

Looking forward to the pictures. Never like to see a classic go, but it is nice that you will put her to good use.

YouTube
    Holy cow. I couldn't believe he went out to the end of the bowsprit.

Well...

I got calls and emails from the movers on Monday. They went to check on the boat since they had some questions about which model she is and they found the owner had not gotten everything done he had promised to. A lot had to be done to get her ready to move and they decided they needed a bigger trailer, so the move is off and they won't schedule a new day until she is totally prepped to move.

Thankfully Alix has quit his job and I am working a very flexible job doing tree work for a friend so I called Tom and bailed on working Tuesday, we grabbed some tools, Akiva, a few beers and blasted down to Cape Cod Monday evening and spent the night aboard.

Tuesday we organized all the stuff down below and boy o boy was there a lot of stuff!!!! We also mostly stripped the deck, took all the rigging off the mast and tied, taped, plastic wrapped anything that could flop, bang or chafe on the 130 mile ride. Took us a good chunk of Monday night and all day Tuesday to get her prepped but we got it done! Spoke with the transport company and set a new date of Nov 10th. Hopefully mother nature cooperates!

Learned more about her condition as well.
    First off we found out, she seems to be somewhat out of shape as none of the solidly built, perfect shaped mahogany cabinets, drawers, doors... line up. Some are close, maybe a 1/8" off, but many, I'd even say most are 1/4"-1/2" out of wack. I have not been aboard enough old wood boats to know much but I do know from a lot of experience with old houses that when a house's doors, cabinets, windows are all like that the foundation has shifted. Certainly not the end of the world but to me it does bring some worry. The good news is the cabinets, doors and drawers are beautiful and tricked out with bronze hinges and latches that are mostly intact and functioning. I think we can literally re-use 80+% of the hardware and almost all the cabinet fronts and such as is, with just a sand and fresh varnish. That saves a lot of work!!

The biggest tell was when the former owner (we paid for her! Guess that makes us the current owner) winterized the diesel. He took a 5 gallon bucket of water below and started the motor. Once the motor started he shut it off, dumped 3 or 4 gallons of fresh water into the bilge and then filled the bucket with antifreeze. The motor sucked up all but a 1/2 gallon or so and he dumped that into the bilge. By the time we hit the ground it was leaking profusely from the stern post and not just from one spot, streaming and seeping from a substantial area on both sides and aft face of the stern post. The planking is also 1/4"-1/2" away from the stern post with cotton and oakum streaming from the void.

The forefoot is rotten thru and thru, can't find the keel timber under the layers of rust, paint chips and scum in the bilge but if poked is very spongy as are the floor timbers and bottoms of all the frames we could access.

The deck and cabin top has many many layers of paint that are all peeling up. The wood seems solid but when we put a strap from toe rail to toe rail just forward of the cabin top to keep a tarp pinned over the mast hole the toe rail shifted, the paint cracked more and the wood seemed to compress. We did not put much pressure on the toe rails, I think you could remove it with a swift kick or three. I fear the layers of paint hide much.

Otherwise she is in great shape! hahaa

I think we can re-use a lot of the mahogany inside her, there also seem to be some big and beautiful knees that may be worth salvaging and we want to try to build the entire dinghy out of lumber salvaged from Victoria. And of course there is the bronze, holy crap, everything is bronze!

Here are just a couple sample pics.

ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

I want the anchor which and gallows. Oh and the corkscrew

I love old bronze. All this stuff will not only save time and $$, it will add an "instant patina." You're giving that old boat's soul a new home!

Great job!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

I like the engine controls too.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Beautiful score!
    Reminds me of when a Washington drivers license had a line to fill out for WHICH organs you wanted to donate. I filled in "penis".
    In other words , a living person could donate their WHOLE body to keep a little of me alive.
    You are now, in a way, building an entire boat around that amazing corkscrew.

CHA-CHING!!!!!
    What a treasure trove of stuff. Christmas came early this year.

have you seen this vessel on Craigs List, near the Cape, it might have all the hardware and ballast you are looking for, and at 3000 dollars or free to wooden boat organization it seems the price is right... this is how Burnham Built Ardell, he took the fittings off the Pinky Maine.

32' double ended Atkin Cutter... Sails, Spars, and likely 20,000$+- worth of hardware if purchased new...

not to mention that ballast casting...

just spit balling here... is there any way to use the casting as is and make up the difference in inside ballast?... hmmm ingrid is a Yawl... and is this an Eric, a sloop. how does this boat feel for size?

any consideration building this hull rather than the 38"er? you could still use your same keel timber.

We are very lucky to be getting her, three boats will have contributed to our build so far and all three we got from leads from folks on the forum. We are eternally grateful!

We ran through all sorts of possibilities on the ride home from the Cape yesterday.

We could use the ballast keel and make up the difference but we already have the lead and tank ready to go. Also, to my understanding iron and oak are not the best of buddies, I am also leery of sinking a bunch of bronze fasteners near the iron keel and steel bolts. If we had not already acquired the lead maybe, but we have everything we need to pour a lead keel and have relative harmony of oak, lead and bronze. Besides we can't back out of doing a 10,000 lb pour now!

Same goes for restoring her instead of building new. By the time we gut the interior, replace the wood keel, floor timbers, stem/stern, frames... we might as well just build new. We could restore Victoria and replace 75% of her lumber and use all her usable fittings or we could build Ingrid and use the solid 25% of Victoria and all her usable fittings. Either way 25% of Victoria and all her usable fittings stay together and keep going. Just 4" wider, 6' longer, lead keel instead of iron and ketch instead of cutter. Still a Atkin double ender though!

Like Bruce said, we are donating our entire boat to save some bronze and bits of mahogany and teak from Victoria. Her flashiest assets will continue their voyage.
    ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

Couple more bronze treasures, slowly unpacking what we brought home. The lions share is still aboard, these are just some of the loose trinkets.
    ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

Fantastic. It sounds like you are doing right by Victoria
    My Goat Island Skiff Project Photos:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/999065...7648295059621/

We are very lucky to be getting her, three boats will have contributed to our build so far and all three we got from leads from folks on the forum. We are eternally grateful!

We ran through all sorts of possibilities on the ride home from the Cape yesterday.

We could use the ballast keel and make up the difference but we already have the lead and tank ready to go. Also, to my understanding iron and oak are not the best of buddies, I am also leery of sinking a bunch of bronze fasteners near the iron keel and steel bolts. If we had not already acquired the lead maybe, but we have everything we need to pour a lead keel and have relative harmony of oak, lead and bronze. Besides we can't back out of doing a 10,000 lb pour now!

Same goes for restoring her instead of building new. By the time we gut the interior, replace the wood keel, floor timbers, stem/stern, frames... we might as well just build new. We could restore Victoria and replace 75% of her lumber and use all her usable fittings or we could build Ingrid and use the solid 25% of Victoria and all her usable fittings. Either way 25% of Victoria and all her usable fittings stay together and keep going. Just 4" wider, 6' longer, lead keel instead of iron and ketch instead of cutter. Still a Atkin double ender though!

Like Bruce said, we are donating our entire boat to save some bronze and bits of mahogany and teak from Victoria. Her flashiest assets will continue their voyage.

hmmm as a traditionally trained dory builder I'm getting a bit out of my depth as far as substituting existing keel castings in another design, also mixed metals and electrolisis issues go. you might consider speaking with a NA or with Harold Burnham or Paul Rollins, schooner builders.

as far as the lead that could be poured in 100+- lb ingots for internal ballast or simply mixed into the concrete inside balast.

the one advantage I have heard old timers extoll of an Iron Keel is it's ability to ride up on a rock... and slide back off, where lead can form to the shape of the rock and tend to grab... not an ideal situation as running aground is not planned for, but possibly an excellent feature when exploring far flung harbours and poorly marked passages.
    Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 11-02-2017 at 12:29 PM.

I've heard (and experienced) the opposite, Dan. A lead keel takes a bit of the punch out of running aground. A crumple zone as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    I've heard (and experienced) the opposite, Dan. A lead keel takes a bit of the punch out of running aground. A crumple zone as it were.
    ouch! I'am not sure what sounds worse relying on a hard iron keel to slide off a rock, or relying on a lead keel as a crumple zone to soften the blow!

hopefully neither scenarion gets played out!

this lil item happened to appear in my MSN Hotmail, e mail just the other day, courtesy James Town Distributors!

You must be on their email list =)

Jamestown Distributors found us a few weeks back and reached out to us. They invited us down for a tour of their distribution center/store and to check out their weekly shop night. Since we had to go see Victoria anyway and would be close we swung by a couple weeks ago.
    They are pretty stoked on what we are doing and asked if they could help us in any way. Right now they are helping get our videos out to the world and we hope this is just the beginning of a long relationship between us and Jamestown. We have only heard good things and meeting them all in person confirmed what we have heard to be true!

Here are a couple more treasures from Victoria. I LOVE the sound of the bell, it's so crisp and clear not to mention plain old beautiful!
    Victoria arrives this Friday! We are super psyched!

ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

Wow! There is so much great stuff just in those few pictures. Itíll be cool to see her. Thatís great that you slept aboard when you were down at the Cape.

Right?!?! It's just the tip of the iceberg. You are going to be blown away, I don't think I can over sell the bronze work. Psyched she will be here for your visit at the end of the month.

It's super cool because she is also a Atkin double ender and the difference in beam is only 4". Being in her gives us a great feel for the space we will have and we absolutely want that extra 6'!!

She very well might become one or both of our summer residences this coming summer. Akiva even slept aboard with us. He was not so impressed with the ladder climb onto and off of deck but he did start to work out the companionway. Down was 1 big step and a jump. Up took some more trial and error. =)
    ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

You start to actually demolish her, there are the fastenings ! Bolts!!
    Pretty exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    You start to actually demolish her, there are the fastenings ! Bolts!!
    Pretty exciting.

Bolts I tell ye' there be Bolts in them there Hulls!