• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daniel Noyes
    Banned
    • Jan 2007

Re: Building Arabella (An Atkin Ingrid)

Hi Sd.

nice job getting Victoria into the yard.

not sure how much of her rigging you'll be able to recycle but it may be worth a look at this thread for some ideas on modern alternatives. also the first photo gives some perspective of the sheer size of Ingrid, Wow!
    <font color="white">&amp;nbsp &amp;nbsp &amp;nbsp &amp;nbsp &amp;nbsp &amp;nbsp </font> <h3>And, you can click <a href="http://forum.woodenboat.com/forumdisplay.php?12-Archived-Reference-Threads">Archived Reference Threads</a></h3>

Comment

• Daniel Noyes
      Banned
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by PeterSibley
      She has some pretty jewelry !
      yup that's why she caught our eye on Craigs List, and less than an hours drive from Acorn... (not Arabella yet) I had to say something.

Comment

• J.Madison
        • Mar 2011

Lovely! A proper ships cabin. Good score on all of it. I particularly like the windlass.

Comment

• DoctorB
          • Apr 2012

I cannot fathom the time and money Victoria has saved you - a year or two off the new build and tens of thousands of $$ - good for you. And I think it totally fitting that Victoria be salvaged this way. Almost like a big THANK YOU from William Atkin. You are two lucky ducks. Now get going on Arabella!
          1909 Lawley Sloop Venture:
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCND...6kaRmc5_90B8WA

Comment

• DeniseO30
            Thinks too much..
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by DoctorB
            I cannot fathom the time and money Victoria has saved you - a year or two off the new build and tens of thousands of $$ - good for you. And I think it totally fitting that Victoria be salvaged this way. Almost like a big THANK YOU from William Atkin. You are two lucky ducks. Now get going on Arabella!
            She be like a time capsule!

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
            Denise, Bristol PA, retired from HVAC business, & boat restoration and building

Comment

• DoctorB
              • Apr 2012

You won't be needing those gaff jaws, eh? I don't suppose Atkin drew up a gaff Ingrid, did he?
              1909 Lawley Sloop Venture:
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCND...6kaRmc5_90B8WA

Comment

• John B
                • Aug 2000

Fantastic, that old boat gets a new life in a way too.

Comment

• Don MacLeod
                  • Mar 2015

That is a treasure trove of reusable hardware. Will save a lot of time and money for your Arabella.
                  You should be proud of your efforts to grab the hull and save the salvageable parts.
                  Even that sextant will go to sea again. Not difficult to overhaul and restore to original condition.
                  Read the Blog on this valuable web site. https://sextantbook.com/
                  Is that engine a Perkins? If so it should be restorable. Parts are readily available worldwide.

Comment

• sdenette
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Daniel Noyes
                    yup that's why she caught our eye on Craigs List, and less than an hours drive from Acorn... (not Arabella yet) I had to say something.

We are SUPER thankful that you told us about her! We believe she will knock a year or more off the build, we never ever would have found all that amazing bronze never mind having it all match!!

Daniel- If we can ever do something for you let us know, we owe ya at least one =)

The craziest part is-

The asking price was $3,000 US, we took a quick lap of her and said we would cough up the 3k. We were thinking to ourselves even if we live on rice and beans for the winter or have to sell a kidney we will scrounge up the cash.

The former owner immediately said that 3k was too much!! He told us to sort out trucking and he would decide how much he wanted after that. We called around and ended up using Brownell, they did a great job! It was $1,254 to get her trucked the 130 miles and the former owner asked for $1,200 for Victoria. We got her for $2,454 and a couple trips to the coast!! We bought the diesel motor and the rest was free!

We got a garden cart full of lines, most are pretty worn and UV eaten but we will put them to use though out the build I am sure. 9 sails I believe, they all look to be in decent shape and are also encrusted in bronze hardware. The work bench in the shop is currently COVERED in boxes of fasteners, pins, latches, wire....... Absolutely incredible was was in her.

It will be a while before we manage to go through everything, its staggering.
                    ACORN TO ARABELLA
                    For additional info on this project:

www.acorntoarabella.com
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi...WB1xCp6uuUo0VA

Comment

• sdenette
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by J.Madison
                      Lovely! A proper ships cabin. Good score on all of it. I particularly like the windlass.
                      Thanks! We had 8 people in the saloon Saturday night eating a wild turkey I shot, drinking beer and telling tales. It was pretty wonderful! The windlass is awesome, such a simple effective machine!
                      ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

Comment

• sdenette
                        • Mar 2015

That we are!
                        We like the idea of her being a "thank you" or a "thata boy" from Atkin. We have been talking and the plan is to obviously use as much as Victoria as we can and we are going to challenge ourselves to build the dinghy 100% from lumber salvaged from Victoria and to name the dingy Victoria and put the bronze name on the dinghy. We thought that would be fun and fairly fitting =)
                        ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

Comment

• sdenette
                          • Mar 2015

You won't be needing those gaff jaws, eh? I don't suppose Atkin drew up a gaff Ingrid, did he?

He did,

She is called Stormy Petrel, a Ingrid hull that is rigged as a gaff ketch. We have those plans, so those jaws just might see action again. Time will tell.
                          ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

Comment

• sdenette
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Don MacLeod
                            That is a treasure trove of reusable hardware. Will save a lot of time and money for your Arabella.
                            You should be proud of your efforts to grab the hull and save the salvageable parts.
                            Even that sextant will go to sea again. Not difficult to overhaul and restore to original condition.
                            Read the Blog on this valuable web site. https://sextantbook.com/
                            Is that engine a Perkins? If so it should be restorable. Parts are readily available worldwide.

We are quite pleased to say the least!

We will have to check that book out. The sextant is in rough shape =/

The diesel is a 50hp Perkins that fires up with the push of a button. Apparently it had not been run in close to a year and it fired right up first try. Mighty fine sign!

She also has a 60 gallon monel fuel tank and I believe monel water tanks as well.
                            ACORN TO ARABELLA

www.acorntoarabella.com

Comment

• MoritzSchwarzer
                              • Oct 2015

Man, she has a lot of bling. Staggering!

Originally posted by sdenette
                              The diesel is a 50hp Perkins that fires up with the push of a button. Apparently it had not been run in close to a year and it fired right up first try. Mighty fine sign! She also has a 60 gallon monel fuel tank and I believe monel water tanks as well.
                              And apparently a well without a bottom. You are two lucky boatbuilders. Proof positive that it's easier to build anything with a community.

Comment

• Don MacLeod
                                • Mar 2015

Great stuff - like the others I cannot get past that winch,the sextant and the Perkins.
                                All restorable for future use.

The sextant looks like a C Plath, which is a very good manufacturer.
                                It is completely restorable and will serve you well.
                                Have a look at Fig 6 on the blog about the Plath sextants - https://sextantbook.com/2012/11/13/e...lath-sextants/

Comment

Working...