Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seen recently on the Caledonian Canal

Default Seen recently on the Caledonian Canal

Built by the Lühring shipyard at Brake/Germany as a topsail schooner in 1911, 'Eye of the Wind', as she is named now, has undergone several name and rig changes. After a serious fire in 1970 she was restored and converted to a brigantine. She has appeared in numerous films including 'White Squall', 'The Blue Lagoon' and 'Tai-Pan', in which she appeared as two vessels..'Morning Cloud' with white sails and 'White Witch' with brown sails.

She was travelling east to west through the canal, and we saw her arrive at Seaport Marina in Inverness, where we keep our own wee boat. Then yesterday, when we were returning from a trip up to Loch Ness, we met her coming through Tomnahurich bridge. I listened to some of the radio chat between the skipper, who is female and Danish, and the lock keepers. She sounded cool and efficient, which I suppose you might expect from somebody commanding a vessel like that, but I was very impressed. In the picture, check out the guy in the tops.. https://www.eyeofthewind.net/en/ship/history

Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Default Re: Seen recently on the Caledonian Canal

VIC 32 is one of the last few surviving coal-fired steam-powered puffers, although there are still a few in service which have been converted to diesel.

http://savethepuffer.co.uk/history-of-vic-32/

^ Built by the Admirality as a Victualling Lighter, hence the VIC designation.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    ^ Built by the Admirality as a Victualling Lighter, hence the VIC designation.
    That much I knew, but I am puzzled by the prefix SL on the name board up by the bridge. Not one I am familiar with.

SL = "Steam Lighter"?

Alex

Steamer, Lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    SL = "Steam Lighter"?

Alex
    That had occurred to me, but I looked at a couple of marine prefix lists, both merchant and military, and it's not listed.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    That had occurred to me, but I looked at a couple of marine prefix lists, both merchant and military, and it's not listed.
    So the owner is either
    a very naughty boy who just made it up,
    or
    has gone back to some historic but now discontinued designation like RMS.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    So the owner is either
    a very naughty boy who just made it up,
    or
    has gone back to some historic but now discontinued designation like RMS.
    I can go straight to the horse's mouth. I now have a permanent pontoon berth at Seaport Marina and the photo was taken from the cockpit of my own boat. VIC32 is pretty much a fixture there these days, taking trips up the canal and open to the public when berthed at Seaport. Next time I see her I'll ask the skipper what the prefix is.

Tecla is a gaff ketch built in 1915 and is currently operated by a Dutch family, often with two generations sailing her. She was originally built to fish the North Seas under sail, but also spent many years carrying cargoes under sail in the Baltic. She became a charter vessel in 1986. The following newspaper article is from a previous passage through the canal back in April this year. She passed through the canal again recently, on the 28th August, heading for the North sea and across to Amsterdam where I think she will lay up for the winter. Sadly I didn't have my camera with me, so I've swagged the above image from elsewhere.
    http://forargyll.com/?p=105899

This is a cool thread. I missed until now. Thanks!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    This is a cool thread. I missed until now. Thanks!

Kevin
    Thanks Kevin. I'm spending a lot of time on the canal these days, although now it's the end of the season I won't be there so much in the coming months. But I will try to post any interesting boats I see whenever I'm there.

Aboard my boat in an Auckland, NZ, Marina.

Wondered what had become of her. She was in NZ around 30 years ago, and appeared as an "extra" in the Film "Savage islands".
    "The truth shall make ye fret" - Terry Pratchett

UK TV Channel 4 has been showing a nice series of documentaries called 'Great Canal Journeys'. They feature actor Timothy West and his wife Prunella Scales (Fawlty Towers) and have covered a variety of canal journeys from narrow boats on various British waterways, to the Gota canal in Sweden. They are now on series four, and last week's episode was filmed on the Caledonian Canal. This week's episode had the couple leaving the canal on the West side, traveling to the islands of Jura and Iona, then through the Corrivreckan to the Crinan Canal. They traveled through the Crinan Canal as passengers on the VIC 32.

That much I knew, but I am puzzled by the prefix SL on the name board up by the bridge. Not one I am familiar with.
    "Steam Launch" comes up a few times..
    And so does "Steam Lighter"

"The vessel is owned by the Puffer Preservation Trust and their website is called Save the Puffer but the name on the board is S.L. VIC 32 which stands for Steam Lighter Victualing Inshore Craft. As BM says the term Puffer is a generic term for this type of vessel but the steam engine design is far from the original systems of the early cargo vessels that gave rise to the description"

"There are few genuine steamboats left on the River Thames; however, a handful remain.The SL (steam launch) Nuneham is a genuine Victorian steamer built in 1898, and operated on the non-tidal upper Thames by the Thames Steam Packet Boat Company. It is berthed at Runnymede.
    SL Nuneham was built at Port Brimscombe on the Thames and Severn Canal by Edwin Clarke. She was built for Salter Bros at Oxford for the regular passenger service between Oxford and Kingston. The original Sissons triple-expansion steam engine was removed in the 1960s and replaced with a diesel engine. In 1972, the SL Nuneham was sold to a London boat operator and entered service on the Westminster Pier to Hampton Court service. In 1984 the boat was sold again – now practically derelict – to French Brothers Ltd at Runnymede as a restoration project.
    Over a number of years French Brothers carefully restored the launch to its former specification. A similar Sissons triple-expansion engine was found in a museum in America, shipped back to the UK and installed, along with a new coal-fired Scotch boiler, designed and built by Alan McEwen of Keighley, Yorkshire. The superstructure was reconstructed to the original design and elegance, including the raised roof, wood panelled saloon and open top deck. The restoration was completed in 1997 and the launch was granted an MCA passenger certificate for 106 passengers. SL Nuneham was entered back into service by French Brothers Ltd, but trading as the Thames Steam Packet Boat Company.
    Last edited by Canoeyawl; 11-14-2016 at 06:32 PM.

Not very recent but 2014, Draken Harald in the Caledonian Canal en route to Merseyside for a new mast..
    http://forargyll.com/?p=85983

'Silence' - Abeking and Rasmussen 43ft yawl - built 1964

'Bellona' 42ft

'Kommandoren' 19.96 Metres - built as a Baltic trader in 1891 at Karrebaeksminde, Denmark, and is typical of a small Danish cargo vessel of the period. She was rescued by Hays Ships from her previous service as a gravel dredger, restored, and celebrated her 125th birthday last year. My wife and I were invited on board for a wee dram with the skipper and his wife, and had a long chat with them. The ship is now used for conferences and business meetings to promote Hays Ships, who run a small fleet of scientific and oceanographic survey vessels.

'Mystery II of Meon' - 39ft Bermudan cutter - Built in 1936, the first Robert Clark design to be built.

She has been competing in the Three Peaks Yacht Race, where teams of four or five per yacht sail from Barmouth in Wales to Fort William Scotland, with two of the crew climbing the highest mountains of Wales, England and Scotland en route, running the equivalent of three marathons in 3 or 4 days. The race was established in 1977 in memory of Bill Tilman.
    https://www.threepeaksyachtrace.co.uk/about-the-race

'Maggie of Aberdour' - Inchcape 38 Class MFV yacht built at Eyemouth, yard No. 146 in 1966.

My Gawd, you Brits still have a lot of fine watercraft! We here in the Colonies are choking on fiberglass trash!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    My Gawd, you Brits still have a lot of fine watercraft! We here in the Colonies are choking on fiberglass trash!
    Jay
    Unfortunately we are no better off Jay. I reckon about 1 in 50 boats I see is a nice wooden classic. I think the ratio is higher in the South of England, but up here in Scotland a lot of the classic boats I see are from European countries. There are usually a lot of yachts from the Baltic ports going through the canal this time of year. I don't post pictures of my own boat when I'm cruising because it is of the ubiquitous white fiberglass variety

Is it me, camera distortion, or is she looking a bit hogged?

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Is it me, camera distortion, or is she looking a bit hogged?
    I think she is a bit. I understand the restoration was mainly cosmetic, with very little structural work done, so it may be the legacy of being a gravel dredger for many years before she was bought by Hays. It may also be exaggerated by my lousy photography

Here's a commercial photo of her, in which she looks OK..

Athena - A 58ft yawl registered in Germany. Built by Abeking & Rasmussen in 1955.

Last edited by isla; 07-22-2017 at 08:46 AM.

'Alba Venturer' - An Oyster 70 ketch, designed and built by Oyster Marine in 1998. She is a sail training vessel owned by the Ocean Youth Trust Scotland.
    She is GRP, so not very interesting from the wooden boat perspective, but the sail training organization she belongs to is interesting..
    http://oytscotland.org.uk/

I listened to some of the radio chat between the skipper, who is female and Danish, and the lock keepers. She sounded cool and efficient, which I suppose you might expect from somebody commanding a vessel like that
    If I have the right vessel, she was once commanded by someone who was anything but efficient. There's a vid somewhere of a ship that I think was Eye in her Sydney days, running clean over the top of a capsized dinghy, in perfect visibility, and blithely sailing on without attempting to render assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    If I have the right vessel, she was once commanded by someone who was anything but efficient. There's a vid somewhere of a ship that I think was Eye in her Sydney days, running clean over the top of a capsized dinghy, in perfect visibility, and blithely sailing on without attempting to render assistance.
    I don't know who the Eye's skipper was back in her Australia days. I don't think she has been to Australia since some time before 2000 when a Danish businessman bought her. He initially used her for private trips from his home port Gilleleje, then he restored her to a high standard. In 2009 she changed hands again and is currently owned by FORUM train & sail GmbH.

I sailed around Tasmania in the Eye when she was running charters here. I paid for the privilege of being classed as 'crew'.
    Cannot remember the captains name though.

I don't know who the Eye's skipper was back in her Australia days. I don't think she has been to Australia since some time before 2000 when a Danish businessman bought her. He initially used her for private trips from his home port Gilleleje, then he restored her to a high standard. In 2009 she changed hands again and is currently owned by FORUM train & sail GmbH.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was the same skipper, and I may have been getting EOTW confused with another tall ship. It was merely an idle reference to the difference between the fact that one SHOULD (as you say) expect someone commanding such a craft to be efficient, and the fact that some of them are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was the same skipper, and I may have been getting EOTW confused with another tall ship. It was merely an idle reference to the difference between the fact that one SHOULD (as you say) expect someone commanding such a craft to be efficient, and the fact that some of them are not.
    No apologies required Chris. Just out of interest, the current EOTW website has two male captains, so I'm not sure where the female skipper I heard on the VHF fits into the picture.
    https://www.eyeofthewind.net/en/ship/crew

It appears that incidents such as the one you described are not uncommon. This one happened in Travemünde Woche in Germany..

Travemunde hosts a huge regatta and there are some boats that launch from the harbour,rather than the beach.Beside the excursion boats there are numerous ferries running to and from Scandinavian destinations so it is a busy working harbour outside the regatta week and exceptionally busy during the week.One inattentive dinghy sailor represents a very small percentage of the competitors.I heartily recommend making the effort to participate in the week if you sail in a class that is included.

None of which relates to the Caledonian canal.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Travemunde hosts a huge regatta and there are some boats that launch from the harbour,rather than the beach.Beside the excursion boats there are numerous ferries running to and from Scandinavian destinations so it is a busy working harbour outside the regatta week and exceptionally busy during the week.One inattentive dinghy sailor represents a very small percentage of the competitors.I heartily recommend making the effort to participate in the week if you sail in a class that is included.
    Thanks for the info John.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    None of which relates to the Caledonian canal.
    Not a problem, thread drift is positively encouraged if it is interesting

Not exactly ON the canal this one

A canal barge came off a trailer and partially blocked a carriageway of the A9 in the Highlands for several hours.
    The incident happened just before 14:30 at Daviot near Inverness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-40753884