Thread: Opinions on smooth Durabak for bottom protection?

Default Opinions on smooth Durabak for bottom protection?

Would love opinions or experiences on this product from anyone. Our 3 year old, home built pirate ship sails around a lot of rocky areas, and its fiberglassed plywood bottom makes me more than a little nervous. I would love to give her some more protection.

A fellow boatbuilder suggested using 2 coats of the smooth version of Durabak (not textured. He said there is a big difference in drag). http://www.durabakcompany.com/automotive.htm

He did his hull (exterior) in the smooth UV protected Durabak after having his bottom punctured by hitting a rock, and now swears by the stuff after 2 seasons. He said he got the idea from a riverboating forum, and has not lost any speed while drastically improving the durability and water tightness.

Any thoughts or opinions on this?
    Last edited by lothar4550; 09-12-2016 at 09:13 AM.

Default Re: Opinions on smooth Durabak for bottom protection?

I investigated this product (for bottom paint) before they had a smooth version. I was going to use it on a flat bottom skiff which would normally be beached. I didn't proceed, but was intrigued by the fact the "yellow" color had lead as an ingredient. I couldn't find that info at the new site.

I don't have first-hand experience either, but I've seen some drift boat guys using it in our area. For the most part they seem happy with it.

It apparently is quite durable and adheres well. The only downside would be if you want to remove it for repairs.

I'm seriously considering it for my river dory project because of the rocks and gravel I encounter.

Can you touch this stuff up after you've worn through or damaged a patch? Will it stick to itself , new on old ?

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Can you touch this stuff up after you've worn through or damaged a patch? Will it stick to itself , new on old ?
    According to the riverboat forum, the ability to lay old Durabak over new for patching is a strength. I need something like this, in addition to the smooth finish.

My gallon just arrived today. I am going to do some tests on small areas to see how it goes.

Absolutely , If it can be touched up it would make great option for a flat bottom dinghy and skeg/ skegs.

Test

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Everyone is saying that the key is the surface preparation, so I will follow the steps as closely as possible, and send some before and after pics.

Mid winter update on durabak:

I coated the inside bottom of the pirate ship with two coats. It was pretty easy. 2 weeks later I accidentally dropped a heavy claw hammer, and it just bounced back up like a semi hard drum. If it had been my normal plywood bottom, I would be patching a large new hole.

A week later I drilled a new bilge pump exit hole from the outside, and had to repeat it because the location was not optimal. This required replacing the plywood (Dutchman repair?), and then brushing on another 2 coats of durabak over the new wood. I lightly sanded the surrounding stuff, and it bonded together completely. Can't even tell there was a repair done now.

So far, so good. The real verdict will be when she goes back in the water, and gets a good wetting from the rain and waves.

One quick hint: a gallon covers a lot, and I had some left over. The fine print says to reseal the can, and then tip it completely over so the durabak seals new air from coming in. The. Store it upright as normal away from heat. It worked great, as I still have usable stuff 2 months later.

Thanks for the update. I was thinking about this thread just a week ago.
    Vic Bottomly--Hack of all trades ....

I know this is a oldish post, but durabak is a bed liner material. It is part rubber and plastic polymers. Great stuff. We use it as a bottom paint on wood and fiberglass drift boats. Some guys put it on their aluminum boats to keep the noise down and from slipping. Once applied it will not come off.
    You can also put graphite in your last coats of epoxy. It will take at least 3 to cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by texas drifter View Post
    I know this is a oldish post, but durabak is a bed liner material. It is part rubber and plastic polymers. Great stuff. We use it as a bottom paint on wood and fiberglass drift boats. Some guys put it on their aluminum boats to keep the noise down and from slipping. Once applied it will not come off.
    You can also put graphite in your last coats of epoxy. It will take at least 3 to cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, after a full season of sailing and banging into stumps and rocks.....I am now an official fan. This stuff is smooth, tough, and completely stopped any and all leaks. I am amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by texas drifter View Post
    You can also put graphite in your last coats of epoxy.
    Graphite does not harden or strengthen epoxy. It softens epoxy, but by only a little bit.

The faulty conventional wisdom about graphite in epoxy comes from the fact that adding graphite-thickened epoxy to a non-epoxy wooden boat will harden/strengthen the bottom. This is true since there was no epoxy before the graphite-thickened epoxy was added.

However, for a boat bottom already coated with epoxy, adding graphite does not help.

Read more at http://boatbw.blogspot.com/2015/02/p...ur-pencil.html