Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: British Politics Post Brexit

Default Re: British Politics Post Brexit

More like unemployed geography teacher...

Doesn't give anyone much confidence does it?

So what's happened to the adults, found private industry more lucrative or did those financial dodgy dealings a few years ago clean them all out?

There is the Queen of course……………….. but if anything happens you get Charlie. Scrub that.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Cannot see that making any difference at all.

Did hear the coming vote described as
    Marks and Spencer middle management V Retired Geography Teacher
    Depressing.

Latest cover of The Economist. I couldn't find a larger picture, but the caricatures are good, if brutal.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Good piece Mr. Wilson.

BRITAIN last voted in a general election just two years ago. Back then, the country was a bridge between the European Union and Barack Obama’s America. Its economy was on the mend after years of squeezed living standards. Scottish independence had just been ruled out. Labour’s most controversial policy was a plan to cap energy prices, denounced as “Marxist” by the Tories, who went on to win.

Today Britain finds itself in a different era. The vote for Brexit has committed it to leaving its biggest trading partner and snuggling closer to others, including a less-welcoming America. The economy has held up better than many feared but growth is slowing; investors are jittery. The union is fraying again. Real wages have stagnated. Public services are stretched.

http://www.economist.com/news/leader...n-open-liberal

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Cannot see that making any difference at all.

Did hear the coming vote described as
    Marks and Spencer middle management V Retired Geography Teacher

I have an old friend who when we were both much younger was a colleague of mine in Hong Kong. Mark was the sort of chap who could have any woman entranced within five minutes of meeting her, and did, but at one point he got stuck with a Marks and Spencers middle manager. She was ghastly - plain (by his very high standards) possessive, mean spirited and dull. He shook her off in the end and has been happily married for a couple of decades, but the mention of "a Marks and Spencers middle manager" brought the creature to mind.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 06-04-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Sometimes a hat says it all:

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Lovely! Well spotted!
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

"The UK wants to continue to influence the writing of parts of EU regulation after Brexit despite leaving the bloc, according to the latest plan by Whitehall officials."
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-regulation-position-paper-data-protection-david-davis-a7910196.html

It was said: "Britain want to leave the EU".
    As it seems Britain doesn't want to leave the EU, but want to leave the obligations and the responsibilities of the EU and will not pay longer.
    But Britain want to keep the benefits and upsides of the EU.

How childish must a government be, to tell the EU27, it would like to "help" setting future rules of the EU.
    Gruß, Günter

Quote Originally Posted by heimfried View Post
    "The UK wants to continue to influence the writing of parts of EU regulation after Brexit despite leaving the bloc, according to the latest plan by Whitehall officials."
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-regulation-position-paper-data-protection-david-davis-a7910196.html

It was said: "Britain want to leave the EU".
    As it seems Britain doesn't want to leave the EU, but want to leave the obligations and the responsibilities of the EU and will not pay longer.
    But Britain want to keep the benefits and upsides of the EU.

How childish must a government be, to tell the EU27, it would like to "help" setting future rules of the EU.
    That reminded me of:

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I note migration to Britain is at low, and agriculture is having a hard time finding labour.

"London: Britain's net migration has plummeted to its lowest level since 2014 driven largely by an exodus of EU citizens following last year's Brexit referendum.And two separate sets of data show claims made by Theresa May to justify a crackdown on foreign students purportedly "overstaying" their visas were inaccurate by a margin of at least 90 per cent."

http://www.smh.com.au/world/uk-migra...24-gy3q22.html

^ Yep, uncertainty, a weakened pound and better job prospects elsewhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41036236
    Matthew Percival, head of employment at the CBI, said EU nationals made a "crucial contribution" to the economy.
    "This latest data reflects a trend many businesses have seen - an increase in the number of EU citizens leaving the country," he said.
    "The loss of these vital skills should concern us all, underlining the importance of urgently providing certainty for millions of workers and their families."
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a7118856.html

and http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41025082

The UK government seems to ruin its negotiating position increasingly.

"If no EU officials are attending Theresa May's Florence speech, then why did she use taxpayers' money to fly herself out there?"

"We have to wonder if Theresa May was surprised, at the UN on Wednesday night, to stare out in to the Grand Assembly Hall and see row on row of empty seats."

"It is reassuring to remember that no one actually ever believed that stuff about leaving the European Union being Britain’s chance to “get out on to the global stage”."

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/florence-theresa-may-un-speech-brexit-no-eu-boris-johnson-single-market-a7960141.html

The Independent claims also:

"Brexit: Majority of British people believe UK should stay in the EU, finds latest poll"

"Exclusive: The change of heart comes as Theresa May travels to Florence to make a major Brexit speech."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7960226.html

If that is true, it is late deeper insight, too late may be.
    Last edited by heimfried; 09-21-2017 at 06:23 PM.
    Gruß, Günter

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Sometimes a hat says it all:

A definite clue to Royal preference!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

It goes worse.

"The latest round of Brexit talks are over – and things look bleaker than ever for the UK"

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a7997436.html

Like other people around the world, Britons don't like to change their opinion:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a7992586.html

Most of Britons have a negative judgement about Trumpism, why don't they realise that the behaviuor of their own Tory government is very much similar to Trumpism?
    Gruß, Günter

They are mesmerised by Boris The Liar.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

It seems that, like an alcoholic, it will require a spell in the gutter to change some minds.

It tooks decades until I realised that stupidity is a real danger to the positive development of the society.

I just stumbled over an aticle who tells me, that I'm not alone whith this idea:

"The idea that all opinions are equal is nonsense – believing that gave us Trump as President"

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a7996821.html
    Gruß, Günter

as Malcom Tucker would say..... ' this has turned into a complete omni-shambles, a cluster-f*** of the first order'
    Yma o hyd

May be, it was a cardinal error of the ancestor of the EU long years ago, to give way for the "re-negotiations" demanded by Ms. Thatcher. Since then the Britons always expected (and if not automatically provided, urgently demanded) in most belongings a special treatment that we call in German "Extrawurst".

Because the Britons were always an ally to Germany in the EU north-south-struggle in austerity versus laissez faire in financial matters, the Extrawurst's were accepted here, but not very much liked. You will know, that the french people are much more dismissive to the British stance, than the Germans, because France was more tending to laissez faire. Anyway, 27 member states are not very fond of Extrawurst.

Of course a nation should have the right to leave the EU if it finds we want only an economic agreement, not a political one. But, in this case, is it the right path, to exspect the other 27 members will act completly stupid? The hubris of the Brexiteers tells them they are sitting on the longer lever.

When will they realise, they have only the very short lever and that it is not helpful to call the EU "arrogant" and more? It is not the EU who want to kick out Britain, it is Britain who wants to leave the EU. Until now, there are millions of tax payers money wasted for nothing.

The way things developing at now, I think, the Britons will be economically forced to stay in the EU. (That is not, what I really whish: very sorry, I think it would be much better, Britain would leave, then feel the pain, and ask for new membership. Surely not because of humiliating the Britons, but there will be no other way to teach the leavers.)

The other way round: If Britain leaves and it will prosper after that (without foul play) it will be good for the EU. The EU will have to answer a lot of questions then.
    Gruß, Günter

Has the EU (Germany) sorted out Italy's, Spain's, Greece's, Portugal's deficit problems yet? Is Belgium one country again? Where is Spain heading these days?

How secure, bountiful and stable will the EU be in the next 30 years? You talk as if it is all assured Hiemfried, but Brexit might prove to be a shrewd move in the end, however bumpy the transition. A pragmatic balanced opinion might better suit you, unless indeed you CAN actually see the future...?

Extrasausage! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    Has the EU (Germany) sorted out Italy's, Spain's, Greece's, Portugal's deficit problems yet? Is Belgium one country again? Where is Spain heading these days?

How secure, bountiful and stable will the EU be in the next 30 years? You talk as if it is all assured Hiemfried, but Brexit might prove to be a shrewd move in the end, however bumpy the transition. A pragmatic balanced opinion might better suit you, unless indeed you CAN actually see the future...?

Extrasausage! Ha!
    Where was it you are working this month?

Ive been to 9 European countries this year. I have HMRC authority for the next 2 years, but if we're leaving we're leaving, it's out of my hands, and was not the subject of my post.

BTW, in all the countries I have been in this year, all have customs checks, as well as border security, basic prices for commodities vary vastly, and a passport is mandatory not only to travel but even just to get a hotel. Different country's driving licences are not linked up, working time directives differ greatly, with some identical trades unionised, some not. Clearly not 'one Europe' in practice.

As far as my work goes, I believe I will still be able to work in the EU post Brexit, as there are probably only about 100 people there that can do what I do; besides, I remember the days of work permits, not insurmountable. But this is moot, if I voted at all it would not be for my personal benefit, rather the benefit of a nations population (which I do not feel I belong to particularly).

Did you vote for yourself or your nation Nick? How do you think most people voted? (Informed of not, that's democracy).

Please understand that I love the continent, and have lived and worked there for years; I don't want it to fail. The French election could have ended the whole experiment.. It was closer than many were comfortable with. An example of how fragile it is.

I am disgusted at how Greece has been treated.

Im just bored and irritated by nit pickers always pointing out hiccups in what is a vastly complicated issue, for which they cannot see the other side of the coin, nor the future.

BTW, in all the countries I have been in this year, all have customs checks, as well as border security, basic prices for commodities vary vastly, and a passport is mandatory not only to travel but even just to get a hotel. Different country's driving licences are not linked up, working time directives differ greatly, with some identical trades unionised, some not. Clearly not 'one Europe' in practice.

As far as my work goes, I believe I will still be able to work in the EU post Brexit, as there are probably only about 100 people there that can do what I do; besides, I remember the days of work permits, not insurmountable. But this is moot, if I voted at all it would not be for my personal benefit, rather the benefit of a nations population (which I do not feel I belong to particularly).

Did you vote for yourself or your nation Nick? How do you think most people voted? (Informed of not, that's democracy).

Please understand that I love the continent, and have lived and worked there for years; I don't want it to fail. The French election could have ended the whole experiment.. It was closer than many were comfortable with. An example of how fragile it is.

I am disgusted at how Greece has been treated.
    Definitely for the nation. As a senior TU rep I have been well informed about the benefits of the EU, I don't read the Daily Wail and so am immune to their extreme RWW views, and I do note things like the Government own statistics on the benefits that immigrants bring to our economy.
    So for me the referendum was on a par with the Boaty McBoatface vote and Corbyn's votes.
    It was based on lies and misinformation misleading the gullible and bigots amongst us.

All good Nick. But..

What's Putin planning?

Where is Italy's economy heading?

What is Hungary's political future?

Why does Spain have 25% youth unemployment?

Why does property in N. Portugal cost about half of that in Galicia, it's neighbour?

What is the US policy in Palestine going to be in 10 years, and how might that affect Europe?

What are OPEC's plans for oil prices for the next 20 years?

What is the future of N Sea gas?

What are China's steel prices going to be in 10 years?

What is the UK energy strategy in 50 years time?

A few questions I would have asked myself, if I had voted. To bleat on about Brexit Bad is simplistic, partisan and unbalanced in my opinion.

BTW I have read the Daily Mail twice, about 30 years ago. Jonathan Cainor was the best of it.

To express my "simplistic, partisan and unbalanced" opinon:

Brexit is nothing else, than the attempt of getting rid of all the limitating EU rules regarding e. g. workers rights, consumers rights and environmental regulations in favour of the rich and the superrich Britons.

For this purpose the feelings of the electorate were heated up before Brexit poll with a little help from Mr. Putin and US opinionmaker Mr. Mercer.

The poorer part of Britons will pay for it.
    Last edited by heimfried; 10-13-2017 at 04:43 AM.
    Gruß, Günter

To express my "simplistic, partisan and unbalanced" opinon:

Brexit is nothing else, than the attempt of getting rid of all the limitating EU rules regarding e. g. workers rights, consumers rights and environmental regulations in favour of the rich and the superrich Britons.

For this purpose the feelings of the electorate were heated up before Brexit poll with a little help from Mr. Putin and US opinionmaker Mr. Mercer.

The poorer part of Britons will pay for it.
    This.

Extrasausage! Ha!
    There are a lot of unsolved problems in the EU, naturally. I did't say, it is the best thing ever to be a member. EU is a workplace and has to deal with its problems and try to solve.

Which of the British problems (NHS, housing/homelessness, ...) can be solved better after Brexit?

As I said above: "If Britain leaves and it will prosper after that (without foul play) it will be good for the EU. The EU will have to answer a lot of questions then"
    Gruß, Günter

Hysterics as usual ^.

"A vile bunch of racists" ?

If anything, xenophobics, but that's wrong too. We are a highly liberal society that has welcomed people from overseas for a very long time indeed. Please explain your comment ACB?

Hysterics as usual ^.

"A vile bunch of racists" ?

If anything, xenophobics, but that's wrong too. We are a highly liberal society that has welcomed people from overseas for a very long time indeed. Please explain your comment ACB?
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7358866.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7829551.html

http://www.irr.org.uk/app/uploads/20...tate-final.pdf

I do not recall Putin saying anything other than along the lines of the British people should decide for themselves what is best for them.......on the other hand, Obama was making it very clear that if the UK left the EU, it would have to join a queue when it came to discussions of trade......but then the "special relationship" was always a bit of a myth....

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I do not recall Putin saying anything other than along the lines of the British people should decide for themselves what is best for them..[...].
    I meant the "troll factories" in St. Petersburg, which were creating hundreds of fake british profiles in the social media and influenced the peoples opinon.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7920181.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10138893.html
    Last edited by heimfried; 10-13-2017 at 08:44 AM.
    Gruß, Günter

As regrettable and abhorrent as the murder of Jo Cox was, to use that as a basis to claim you now live in a country of fascists and racists is ridiculous. Might as well say we are all crazy murderers because of Raoul Moat.

Does the fact that we have a Muslim mayor of London mean nothing to you? The overwhelming majority of people I meet everyday love our diversity.

Im an uncle to 4 mixed ethnicity children, none of which has experienced racism. Nicks links show a rise from 40,000 to 50,000 incidents of racial violence around the Brexit vote; out of aprox 25,000,000 people who voted to leave. Every incident is awful, but it was hardly Kristalnacht. It is possible Andrew, that many voted out because of reasons other than immigration. Cornwall voted out, and they've hardly heard of brown bread, it was mostly over fishing rights I think.

Where are are you going to go then? USA? Brazil? France? Russia? South Africa? Name any country you like, and I'll find some home grown fascism for you to face.

I do not want to trespass upon the good nature of our American hosts by continuing this disagreement with you.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 10-13-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT