Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Storer Sailing Canoe

Default Re: Storer Sailing Canoe

Robert, I never did build a duck punt because there are 500 moorings packed into Keyhaven River. Often laying for and aft with wind direction, making it really dodgy without a rudder.

now, take Viola 14 and lots of similarities but best of all a rudder to ensure getting through the moorings will be ok.

so, do not worry if she makes you think of a duck punt with a rudder and daggerboard. Just build one and enjoy.

Brian

What a really neat little boat! Like several others, I'm curious about the rig. Is that mast about 20' in length (6 meters)? This is the the first flat top mainsail that looks correct to me on a small boat. Somehow the lines of both the boat and sail match up nicely. And the boat itself is so clean and elegant in its design – very well done, Michael Storer!

Quote Originally Posted by kenjamin View Post
    What a really neat little boat! Like several others, I'm curious about the rig. Is that mast about 20' in length (6 meters)? This is the the first flat top mainsail that looks correct to me on a small boat. Somehow the lines of both the boat and sail match up nicely. And the boat itself is so clean and elegant in its design – very well done, Michael Storer!
    Mast length is only appr. 480cm (16ft).

G'day Joost, I notice the rudder pivots at the top and has a pull down line. Is there any particular reason this approach was used instead of MIK's usual approach of an elastic lashing. The pivot would seem to offer a bit more flexibility while launching. I would be interested in your comments. Great sailing machine !
    Cheers John

Good to see you here Joost!

Any more details available on that rig? Area, type of spars. Is that a laser mast and boom on it at present? It looks like it could be just what I need for a SOF design I'm working on.

Great to see Mik still doing some design work. Hope someone can keep us non Facebook folks up to date on what he's up to from time to time.

Oh, and of course, can you beat a Laser around a course in it?

Good observation Flo-Mo.

Nifty sailing canoe.

The hull concept bears some resemblance to Bolger's Payson Pirogue: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f169/p...ylvania-123731
    Actually came from the hullshapes of Derek Kelsall originally.

There are very distinct advantages in the building to the layout, but some disadvantages in getting the aesthetics right in shallow boats - that long unbroken topside panel took ages to start looking good on the computer.

MIK

Quote Originally Posted by Joost Engelen View Post
    Could you please contact the supplier of the sail (Really Simple Sails) directly for this (I don't want to violate forum rules)?

Let's keep the discussion here on the design itself.
    See our RSS website for more info ... You will see the sail down the front page.

http://reallysimplesails.com

MIK

Quote Originally Posted by JDMH View Post
    G'day Joost, I notice the rudder pivots at the top and has a pull down line. Is there any particular reason this approach was used instead of MIK's usual approach of an elastic lashing. The pivot would seem to offer a bit more flexibility while launching. I would be interested in your comments. Great sailing machine !
    Cheers John
    Howdy,

Getting to the back of a canoe to push my standard rudder Blade down can be problematic. Even in a canoe with this much volume aft.

But it does use the same structural approach and eliminates the normal funny shaped blocking for a much simpler to build swinging rudder

MIK

G'day MIK, thanks for the response regarding the rudder arrangement. Makes perfect sense ! Is the circular hatch in each of the side tanks there purely for ventilation ?

Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by IanHowick View Post
    Good to see you here Joost!

Any more details available on that rig? Area, type of spars. Is that a laser mast and boom on it at present? It looks like it could be just what I need for a SOF design I'm working on.

Great to see Mik still doing some design work. Hope someone can keep us non Facebook folks up to date on what he's up to from time to time.

Oh, and of course, can you beat a Laser around a course in it?

Sail area is 5 m2. Spars are made of commonly available aluminium sections. The mast breaks in two parts for easy transport/storage. The boom is also a standard aluminium section.

I out-sailed the Laser visible in post #5 above. Not that this should be taken as any reference since the boat was very old and not well sailed!

Quote Originally Posted by JDMH View Post
    G'day MIK, thanks for the response regarding the rudder arrangement. Makes perfect sense ! Is the circular hatch in each of the side tanks there purely for ventilation ?

Cheers John
    Yes, in put these in purely to be able to inspect the tanks and for ventilation. On purpose I put them towards the end to avoid them being submersed in a capsize.

Y
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    See our RSS website for more info ... You will see the sail down the front page.

http://reallysimplesails.com

MIK
    Thanks.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

I was looking at this on Facebook over the weekend. Wow! Neat little boat! I'm about 75% through a skin-on-frame sailing canoe build or I'd very seriously consider building one, myself. Looking forward to seeing where this one goes with alt. rigs, etc.

-Trevor

Here are the prices for the lovely modern sail for Viola 14 , USD504 or EUR458 (Aug 2016 subject to variation)

Gorgeous, I love it. Another one in the great Storer line-up. I wonder if I could get a small fleet together. My racing gene has been crawling it's way back out of the depths of time and darkness.

Did anyone post this foto series yet?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

How tall are you, Joost?

Quote Originally Posted by Joost Engelen View Post

More testing to be done next weekend! I ama very happy builder/owner.
    Joost,
    I just noticed we're both doing THE raid extreme 2016 @ Lauwersmeer.
    I'd like to check this new design out.
    See you this weekend, happy testing,...

Regards, from a Fellow competitor

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    How tall are you, Joost?
    175 cm (5 ft 8). Why?

Quote Originally Posted by maarten View Post
    Joost,
    I just noticed we're both doing THE raid extreme 2016 @ Lauwersmeer.
    I'd like to check this new design out.
    See you this weekend, happy testing,...

Regards, from a Fellow competitor
    Hello Maarten, good to have met you! Please let me know in case you have any questions.

Some more recent pics from Joost

We need a "like" button.

Like Yes,
    That is a great looking sailing canoe. Elegantly simple and appropriately fast.

Yep,
    Chalk up two gorgeous sailing canoes to Mr. Storer. I've had a crush on Beth for a long time, see...

Peace,
    Robert

Gawd, BETH, what a beauty. And now Viola! Another great looking boat.

Joost, I just ask so I can envision what I would look in it... I am 6'2".

I love that this boat is less than 2/3 the weight of a laser dinghy. Might be possible to get it down to half the weight of a laser with 2 oz glass cloth on the bottom and paulownia timber for any of the bits and pieces of framing. I'm envisaging one of these of me and one for my son and being able to tow them behind our bicycles down to the lake for some afternoon much racing. I also love the way the layout lends itself to paddling down a river with a couple of kids on each side.

Alternative rigs? I guess it would work well with a Laser Radial rig in it if you had one lying around.

Ian

I bet she could be set up as a minimalistic, one person, protected water cruiser. I'd consider adding light fore and aft decks for dry(ish) storage. Then use my Wee Rob main (35 sqft) and add a 10 sqft mizzen to give a lug yawl. Set her up to row as well with a light pair of oars. Wonder if the floor space is long enough to sleep in? Or add floarboards to be raised to thwart (top of daggerboard) level. Move the daggerboard off to one side then the floor space is longer ...
    "Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors". African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by IanHowick View Post
    I love that this boat is less than 2/3 the weight of a laser dinghy. Might be possible to get it down to half the weight of a laser with 2 oz glass cloth on the bottom and paulownia timber for any of the bits and pieces of framing. I'm envisaging one of these of me and one for my son and being able to tow them behind our bicycles down to the lake for some afternoon much racing. I also love the way the layout lends itself to paddling down a river with a couple of kids on each side.

Alternative rigs? I guess it would work well with a Laser Radial rig in it if you had one lying around.

Ian
    For sure less than 2/3 of the weight of a Laser dinghy at 34.3 kg which includes all fittings and the hiking straps. A Laser is quoted at 59 kg including fittings. I do think that you one can shave a few pounds off if being careful. I used 80 grams/m2 glass on the outside only and it goes 5 cm up the chines. All seams are taped on the inside with 260 grams / m2 glass tape. On the outside there is only tape on the bottom panel - bilge panels seams in the cockpit area (next to the glass mentioned above).

There is not much framing in the boat. Two stringers along the top sides of each buoyancy tank, 2 bottom runners and the gunwales. I used lightweight pine for the internal framing and if using paulownia this would shed some grams. Western red cedar was used for the daggerboard case framing with 4mm thick mahogany glued on the fore and aft ends (sandwich). Foils are also western red cedar with white oak cappings with 1 layer of 80 grams glass on the outside.

I would think that the Laser Radial's CE would be further back, so not sure if that would work well. A balanced lug should be possible, the Topper 4.2 m2 sail works and so should some other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Songololo View Post
    I bet she could be set up as a minimalistic, one person, protected water cruiser. I'd consider adding light fore and aft decks for dry(ish) storage. Then use my Wee Rob main (35 sqft) and add a 10 sqft mizzen to give a lug yawl. Set her up to row as well with a light pair of oars. Wonder if the floor space is long enough to sleep in? Or add floarboards to be raised to thwart (top of daggerboard) level. Move the daggerboard off to one side then the floor space is longer ...
    Set up as a minimalistic one person protected water cruiser - Yes.

Light weight fore and aft deck for watertight storage - Yes, easy to do using the same 4 mm ocoume plywood that is used for the hull with some lightweight framing underneath.

Lug yawl rig - Possible, but not really necessary. Also the boat can easily handle more than a low rigged 45 ft2 yawl rig. A single sail should work fine.

Oars - Possible, but the boat is only 1 meter wide. So increasing the spread a bit to 120cm would be better.

Floor space long enough to sleep in - No. You would have to move the case or revert to a lee board and reinforce the bottom quite much if leaving the mid frame out (which is necessary to create the required length for sleeping). If doing this, you are starting to mess with the design.

Add floorboards that can be raised to create a sleeping platform - No on both accounts. Floorboards will add a lot of weight which is not good for performance. If raising these to the level of the top of the dagger board case, your weight when sleeping will be very high. This is asking for trouble in my opinion (i.e. high risk of capsizing and if sleeping in the boat on land, she would still be somewhat unstable due to the 3 panel underwater ship).

Joost has taken a very good sequence of his partner, Viola, capsize testing Viola 14.

And success,