Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: CLC Expeditionn Canoe

Default Re: CLC Expeditionn Canoe

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    I'm pretty excited about the CLC Expedition since she is small, lightweight and good looking yet capable of long voyages. And she is being proven by the Waterlust series. Also I got to try out a Hobie Mirage drive last weekend. It actually does work like I've seen in the videos. And it is easy to snap it in or out as needed. I'm looking to see if CLC will make this into plans or a kit soon.

And part 3 is out: https://youtu.be/OjTYlBh4aXc
    John has aalready said on a recent post on Duckworks that he will supply CNC kits. Plans or full instructions are as usual a lot of work that but a CNC kit should be straight forward to build.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    You seem to be having fun Brian!
    pretty much my perfect sailing canoe. I have had a set of mirage drives for some time, waiting to build so this design is perfect for my needs. Well, what was my needs!

Understood ..... but I'm still welding away on JIM's trailer.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I had the trike out yesterday, great fun. Feeling quite a bit better just now, and the trike works great at exercising me.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    I had the trike out yesterday, great fun. Feeling quite a bit better just now, and the trike works great at exercising me.

Brian
    Good news at last !!! Excellent.

I'm doing week's chemo at the moment and it makes me very tired, no other ill effect , just tiredness.
    Grateful Dead

John Harris posted about his design on Duckworks and he says although a manual is a problem, cutting a set of CNC panel kit he will do. This is great news.

, these look fantastic, will they be CLC'd?

Like Reply 1 hr

John C. Harris There's been loads of interest. Those two were cut on our CNC machine so anybody who wants one can have one. They just won't have an assembly manual! The time required to turn out a first-class set of step-by-step instructions is always the limiting factor for us in releasing new designs. (I'm looking at YOU, C

Add another Oh YEAH to inspire CLC to make their Expedition Canoe design a kit! Or at minimum make plans available as an initial product....

I posted a reply earlier today to a thread over in the Building/Repair section (near bottom of p3) about my going-on-30 years intention to build an Oughred MacGregor.

Then I read the post quoted above!

Next I'll be e-mailing John querying what he wants in $$ for a set of CNC'd panels!!

Pllease go for the CLC Expedition Canoe. I have owned and sailed a MacGregor. Here I am in my MacGregror. Shortly after I was sailing downwind in too much wind and took a beating off the wind and had to run her into the river bank. The CLC is much more stable, I think the CLC is a tremendous design.

BrIan
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 09-11-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Yeah at my age (and swimming ability) stability has its advantages.

That tall rig I suspect had something to do with what you encountered? The twin-mast rigs I've seen frequently in pictures (and the WB plan set) appealed more to my aesthetic than a single large (tall) sail.

The Expedition Canoe's Hobie drive only strengthens its appeal to me.

I've e-mailed John Harris, we'll see what comes of this....

This is the Facebook post when John mentions cutting kits

https://www.facebook.com/groups/duck...0896351799414/

They are enjoying sailing standing up as they work their way on the waterway

https://www.facebook.com/waterlust/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Tiny dots leaving for a days adventure

They are enjoying sailing standing up as they work their way on the waterway

https://www.facebook.com/waterlust/?ref=ts&fref=ts
    I genuinely don't understand why stand-up boating is not more commonplace. The seating arrangements in almost all small sailing boats tend to force you into uncomfortable hunched postures when there isn't enough breeze to sit out and sitting on the floorboards is just plain wrong ​(I come from Sussex, an exceptionally muddy county).

I think the SUPpers are really on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
    I genuinely don't understand why stand-up boating is not more commonplace. The seating arrangements in almost all small sailing boats tend to force you into uncomfortable hunched postures when there isn't enough breeze to sit out and sitting on the floorboards is just plain wrong ​(I come from Sussex, an exceptionally muddy county)....
    --- One of the things I love about my outrigger canoe with its deep (24 inch) cockpit is the ability to choose almost any posture I could want to sail. I sometimes stand, steering easily with my push-pull tiller. Even in gusts it is easy to quickly get the weight out where it needs to be.

During a Texas 200 camp-cruise among a fleet of 4x8 foot scows, there was one guy who was *usually* standing. I didn't trust my borrowed craft enough to do that a lot, though apparently I was wrong.

Not sure how I would feel about stand-sailing in a 36 inch wide round-bottom monohull -- I was never the most graceful person I ever knew! -- Wade

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
    I genuinely don't understand why stand-up boating is not more commonplace. The seating arrangements in almost all small sailing boats tend to force you into uncomfortable hunched postures when there isn't enough breeze to sit out and sitting on the floorboards is just plain wrong ​(I come from Sussex, an exceptionally muddy county).

I think the SUPpers are really on to something.
    I agree. I would routinely stand in the stern of my canoe to see over my bowman at upcoming river features etc. Plus, it is a nice way to change body position. I get why novice boaters are instructed to not stand. Standing on a boat is very different than on land. However, applying that 'rule' to all boating (canoeing etc) is not logical.

I also agree that stand up canoeing is fun. A week ago I spent the day on the Rio Grande with a friend in my 15.5' by 36" wide canoe. He was fishing, sitting on the bottom(very important) just forward of the center thwart. I was guiding him around to good fishing spots. I was standing mid way between the center thwart and the stern, paddling with a SUP paddle. We had a great time, paddle up river pulled the canoe through rapids. Cruised down river, I stood up for many of the mellow rapids, the arrangement was very stable. That day made me rethink my next sailing canoe. Now I am sailing one with a 32" beam and double blade paddling it. My plan had been to build a 33" wide canoe next. But having the stability of a canoe 36" or a bit more is pretty nice. So I am in a bit of a quandary now. I just might drop the double paddle propulsion idea and go wider???
    Last edited by Matt young; 09-11-2016 at 09:01 PM.

About the right amount of breeze ?
    Grateful Dead

Can someone point me to the B&B sailing canoe that was mentioned? I can't seem to find it.

Be this one I think!

Found it! Thanks... The perils of browsing on phones... I don't know how I missed it, now.

Nice.....only the slightest of zephyers down at the lake this evening, one of those would be preferable to motoring around in circles just to be out on the water.

I'm confused by the expedition mode -- are they camp-cruising with two or 4 people? (Because I have seen both kinds of photos). Are they being followed by shore support (the 2 of the 4 I have been seeing?). -- Wade

Think it is supported with a vehicle.

https://www.facebook.com/waterlust/p...type=3&theater

Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 09-14-2016 at 10:54 AM.

Looks like they could have put a sailing rig on a Microbootlegger and actually had room for 2. Probably not as wide as desired.

Or just opened up the cockpit - it should have the same room.

I'd like to see sailing in something more than calm.

there realy is a huge diference beween the hull stability of the CLC Exopedition hull and the wonderful Microbootleger.

I agree on the larger cockpit, maybe a removable deck section just aft of the cockpit. Like you see on some of the Buffleheads. With the smaller cockpit and the mirage drive it does not look like sleeping in the canoe is possible. Does anyone know, does it have a daggerboard or what's the board setup? Yes some higher wind footage would be nice to see.

Most of these pictures wouldn't have needed more stability.

So a little less sail area, less drag?

Actually I just don't like plywood boats very much.

What do you think the max speed is on one of these?

2000 miles down the eastern coast might take a little while, but loading up the boats each night is a very pleasant way to do an Expedition.

Looks to me like the "Astrid" in post #51 would get you done a little more pleasently (quicker) altho the Mirage drive would be a fun option.

As best I can tell, they're not sailing down the coast at all -- just stopping here and there for daysails and to shoot cool videos.
    -Dave

Reaching Miami

Had nice, long chat w/Dillon Majoros (Expedition canoe's designer, works @ CLC) last Friday.

Interested parties should bookmark this thread in expectation of developments to be announced that will likely come as good news.

That sounds promising, sounds like your chat was well worthwhile.

Brian