Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Lapstrake designs

Default Lapstrake designs

I am building a stich and glue design (Argie15) and as this is a fast method I guess I am on the water next summer. I own a lapstrake Norlandsboat (my avatar), and I have a growing interest of someday building a lapstrake design. It is time to start thinking about next build (This hobby is addictive)

There is a lot of glued lapstrake designs, but I struggle to find traditional lapstrake designs exept that Gartside has a lot. Gartside have a nice one presented in the latest issue of Watercraft magazin(16ft)

I am looking for suggestions on lapstrake design in the range 14-18 feet sailing. Ofcourse the best would be to start with a small dinghy or pram, but ...

The goal will be to build it, so the most important thing is that I like the design. Suggestions?

Regards Fred

Default Re: Lapstrake designs

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    but I struggle to find traditional lapstrake designs exept that Gartside has a lot.

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Wow, wish I could turn the pages right here! A wisit to Amazon maybe...

Our sponsor sells each of them.

Pete Culler's Buzzard Bay Sloop has a certain draw on me http://www.woodenboat.com/boats-for-...st-boat-harbor
    Not that I know too much about her, but that transom is something.

Francois Vivier has some authentic traditional designs, although they don't feature prominently on his website. There is a traditional Ilur http://www.vivierboats.com/en/ilur-traditionnel/, email him and I think there are some more, if french lapstrake tickles your fancy.

Oh yes, another excellent book.

for a uk centric take

Every set of plans for Ian Oughted's glued lap boats that i have seen says they can be built traditionally.

his on-line catalog here: http://www.oughtredboats.com/

many of his designs are featured here

i've not read these but they come recommended from a uk based naval architect and friend who just so happens to own a pretty bad assed lapstrake boat himself

Check out Vivier's Seil 18 http://www.vivierboats.com/en/product/seil-18/ She's gorgeous. I've been thinking of it as a build next Summer. I have an SOF canoe to start/finish before then though.

How about L.F. Herreshoff's 'Nutshell' pram? It is very pretty, not too difficult to build (practice on these easy laps and save trying to fit them to a stem on the next boat), sails well, and I have plans for the sail rig shown:

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Thanks for many inputs here. Its reasonable to try something like the nutshell pram first, but I am not always that 😀 I might buy some books to read this winter.

Sent fra min D6603 via Tapatalk

Thanks for many inputs here. Its reasonable to try something like the nutshell pram first, but I am not always that  I might buy some books to read this winter.

This does not have a design, but is the go to "how to" book for trad clinker building. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clinker-Boa.../dp/0713636432
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Every set of plans for Ian Oughted's glued lap boats that i have seen says they can be built traditionally.
    Tammy Norrie was a nice one! I do like Gartside Skylark very much too,so there you have my taste.... I guess if you build a Tammy Norrie in clinker lapstrake, you use steam bent frames? How is the support from Oughtred when you buy hes designs?

Fred

Tammy Norrie was a nice one! I do like Gartside Skylark very much too,so there you have my taste.... I guess if you build a Tammy Norrie in clinker lapstrake, you use steam bent frames? How is the support from Oughtred when you buy hes designs?

Fred
    Tammy Norrie is very similar to the traditional whitehalls pulling and sailing working boats in the U.S.

There are detailed plans and commentary in the John Gardner book Building Classic Small Craft for four whitehalls; and at least a half dozen more sets of plans in Chappelle's American Small Sailing Craft. Both books contain all the lines, offsets, and construction plans necessary to build the boats, howver in the case of Chappelle it might be best to choose a design then order full sized plans from the Smithsonian Watercraft Collect for I believe $10.00 as the copies of the plans in American Small Sailing Craft are necessarily very small - there are well over a hundred sets of lines and offsets in the book. . .

Whitehall from Chappelle built to plans for 16' Boston Ship Chandler Boat, found in American Small Sailing Craft

Interesting. Norway have a good tradition building boats, and I could always choose to build a Norwegian design, but I find it interesting to learn about, and maybe build a design from other parts of the world. It is always inspiring to do something you feel are special, and not commond where you live.

Paul I see your location is Hell. is it Hell in Norway? (Yes it is a place in Norway called Hell :-)

Last edited by PeterSibley; 08-16-2016 at 01:38 AM.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    A pity about those knees though....

Mike

Edited to clarify -- I'm sure the knees are perfectly sound structurally. To me they just look out of place -- I'd rather see traditional wooden knees to match the rest of the structure.
    Last edited by Wooden Boat Fittings; 08-16-2016 at 06:22 AM.
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Tammy Norrie is still in the lead here, but much can happend. This thread give me a lot of help to think what would suit me to build later. Reason I want to start planning this is that I have my own bandsaw mill, and this fall i will saw some timber for other project (meant to plees my wife) and I want to sort out material I find suitable for lapstrake.

Hell, Michigan.

If you like Mr. Gartside's Skylark, Ian Oughtred's Penny Fee would be at the larger end of the size range, and a design much in the same vein......

Here is a Tammie Norrie built traditionally by Viking Boats of Ullapool. http://thetroublewitholdboats.blogspot.ie/

What a beauty! I think many narrow planks as in this one is an advantage for me. The timber I have i scandinavian spruce I have om my property, and it can be a challenge to make wide planks without too many knots. (fresh knots that go vertical on the grain is accepted on Nordlandsboats if they are fresh and small) They say its buildt in Larch and oak. I guess oak on the frames and Larch hull. Larch and spruce have some similar characteristics exept Larch is more rot-resistant.

It seems like most of the planking here is full length of the boat.

I guess a beamier hull also require wider planks.
    Last edited by Fredostli; 08-16-2016 at 07:17 AM.

Dont forget Bertil Andersson might have something you like, plans are basic, but you can work up full size moulds.

http://batritningar.se/en/

Wider planks are not needed for beamier hulls, its just less work,if the hull shape can deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by timcooke View Post
    Here is a Tammie Norrie built traditionally by Viking Boats of Ullapool.
    Lovely. And even better if the sternsheets were made to come forward each side to the first thwart, as in the boats pictured a few posts back.
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

The best sailing boat so far on this thread is Skylark. The others are compromised for rowing. If your winds blows reasonably well, you will be faster and have more fun with a more sailing focused design.

I think the Ougtred's built traditional have the plank widths multiplies by 0.8 then the final distance at the shear split in half by his suggestion. It's not just the planking that has to be adjusted, with metal fixings the inner stem has to be dimensioned to take the fastening depth at the perpendicular angle to the plank ends. Stuff like that. I'd rather build from correct plans than convert but a chap built a Tammie Norrie glued lap then another traditionally in Watercraft a few years ago.

There are other designs, Duck Trap Skiffs by Walter Simmons. He also wrote three nice bound books on the clinker subject and deals with using modern Sikaflex type stuff in the laps for a dry sailed boat.

John Leather designed his Oyster initially for traditional construction, before it was built in grp, but plans may be hard to get now.

You could pull the Herrreshoff Columbia dinghy out longer. I think Herreshoff did that himself.

There are other standard text books if your interested additional to what has been suggested: Clenched Lap or Clinker by McKee - only place I've seen shown the best way to cut, stack and use timber from the round on clinker boats. Also Clinker Boatbuilding by Martin Seymour, and Greg Rossel Building Small Boats.

Jonny Nance just built some St Ives Punts which have a small keel rather than foil. More sail and oarsy. Must have the offsets etc.

How about the Salcombe Yawl? The latest ones are by Phil Morrison and Ian Howlett.

Looked at a Hvalsoe at Beale, and the glorious woodness of a clinker boat in good condition (for once) did make it a very nice place to just 'be'. A bit like standing on a steam traction engine. You are surrounded by visual interest. It might not be optimum in some ways, but it might still be the nicest view out to sea and a worthwhile tactile and olfactory sensation for no better reason that 'just because'.

Skylark was a good boat when I looked at one in Lyme. Free of distortion. Such restraint is surprisingly rare in yacht design.

A 9ft sailing pram might be a nice size to learn on and eternally usefull....

Just remembered this thread : http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?170198-Building-a-new-clinker-dinghy-over-the-winter-months

Quote Originally Posted by jstarboats View Post
    The dinghy also ribbed out just the fron few to do when I get my next green oak shipment

Time to take a look at the plans and see what can be done while waiting for my next timber shipment

Making patterns for the breasthook

and the quarter knees

Also take a look at making the mast step and mast thwart as well

Patterns made for the knees and breasthook

I've been doing some research to build a small, traditional lapstrake design. The main goal for me is to get comfortable with the technique, as I would like to eventually get into a lapstrake runabout (buy, not build). And I would like to get some education on them.

I've purchased plans for the Atkin Jebb skiff: http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Oar/Jebb.html

And I have a couple books that detail similar builds:

https://www.amazon.com/Traditional-B...1367619&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/Building-Skif.../dp/0877420645

I believe Atkin has a number of lapstrake designs available: http://www.atkinboatplans.com/BoatList.html

This thread is very useful too me. A well of information already :-)

Gartside has a 16 ft lapstrake gaff-rigged boat in the latest issue of Watercraft. That must be a beatiful boat as most of Gartside designs, but it is a bit scary to build this "large" lapstrake without experience... ..

Sterling and son have lots of plans for their traditionally built dinghies for sail and they are reasonably priced. Both sailing and pulling.

OK, so I posted this boat on another thread about a week ago, I am not going to just keep putting this one up all the time. But I do find it interesting and fitting to this thread. There are many fine examples posted here already. What I like about the Nancy is that it has nice traditional narrow planks on a good narrow flat bottom. Also solid bilges and good volume. Weather you build it out of solid wood planks, glue ply lap, or hybrid ply bottom with solid planks.

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Sail/Nancy.html

This thread is very useful too me. A well of information already :-)

Gartside has a 16 ft lapstrake gaff-rigged boat in the latest issue of Watercraft. That must be a beatiful boat as most of Gartside designs, but it is a bit scary to build this "large" lapstrake without experience... ..
    Sometimes it is easier to build large rather than small as you do not have to put such quick bends in the planks. There is not a great difference in the amount of work either.

Thanks Peerie Maa. I like that resonnement 😀