Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Yet another wood boat...

Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

Pics are coming through loud and clear. LOL
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    Pics are coming through loud and clear. LOL
    Thanks. Good to know that I'm doing something right.

I think I finally found a suitable trailer. A 1974 EZ-Loader...

...no clue about the boat it used to carry, but the bunks will certainly need to be adjusted to support the flat bottom of my Tillamook. I had a lead on a 'free' trailer, but unfortunately it also came with a boat. I hadn't planned on my family falling in love with it either!

...so I now have two boats, and (of course) the second one is sucking away all the cash reserves for the first one. But when it's all said and done, we'll have two toys to play with.

-Vern

I'm probably committing some sort of blasphemy posting a fiberglass boat here on a wood boat forum, but here's some 'before/after' photos of 'the other boat':

...hey, it's not completely glass...there was some really nice teak wood in the interior (ok, only a little...).

You can see more of this restoration at: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...ser-470-170-hp

-Vern
    Last edited by EclecticNeophyte; 07-04-2017 at 07:25 PM.

I'll get back to the Tillamook build soon. Had to order more epoxy glue, which will take a few days to get here.

-Vern

Plastic boats are ok. Better left on the trailer most of the time. LOL
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

I use tapatalk, the free version. No need to link photos, the app does it for you. And it's free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a side note, if you and the family want a diversion, head down to Pacific City, Or and you can watch them launch those dories off the beach in the surf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by texas drifter View Post
    I use tapatalk, the free version. No need to link photos, the app does it for you. And it's free.

Sent from my assPhone using Jackatalk

I have never been able to figure out TapaTalk. I'd rather use a hosting service so I have more control over my pics. Once they're sent to the forum, there is no control over them from my understanding.

Still making progress on this build, although slowly... Coated the outside with epoxy resin a few days ago, and applied 4" fiberglass strips to the plywood joints on the bottom. Days are still warm (low 80's), but getting short! But I think I can get fabric on the hull before too many more days go by.

Does anyone happen to know if there is color pigment that can be added to the epoxy resin? I'm using total boat 5:1 (slow set, I think)

Still going on this... Some additional photos:

Ran short of epoxy on that last one. Only about 8 ft of glass to lay up, and I can trim the edges, paint, then flip over onto the trailer...

-Vern
    Last edited by EclecticNeophyte; 04-23-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Still waiting for the additional epoxy resin to arrive... Here's a (not so great) photo of the outboard I plan to use. It was a craigslist find...1978 Mercury 200 (20 hp). It needed a new water pump, but other than that seems to run great.

I built the stand from salvaged steel tubing, gleaned from a firewood rack my mother had but no longer wanted.

RANT: I REALLY HATE UPS surepost, FedEx smartpost, and all variants thereof. I just tracked my epoxy shipment, and it was sent UPS surepost. That means, that it will hit the UPS delivery center here in my hometown, then rather than being delivered to me later that day (normal), it will instead be handed over to USPS, who will sit on it for at least another day before leaving it on my doorstep... I don't know if that's something the shipper does to save a buck, or the carrier.

Is anyone still following this thread (besides me, I mean)? If there's no longer any interest, I won't bother updating it... I realize it was abandoned for a time, and thanks to photobucket, none of my early build photos are still viewable. So if I don't see any responses to this by Tuesday of next week (i.e., 5/1/2018), I think I'm inclined to simply close the thread and save myself the documentation time and effort... A search of this site doesn't yield much in terms of Tillamook (boat not cheese) builds anyway, and mine isn't all that unique or fancy-smancy/pretty.

...let me know, and I'll continue. Otherwise... No sour grapes here, just wanting to know.

-Vern

I just found this this thread and find it interesting even though it is not the boat I am going to build. I have subscribed and unsubscribed to more threads than I care to count because the build goes stagnant or the builder simply stops documenting.

I always look forward to the updates. Seems like I always end up learning something or some new way to do things. Besides, what's not to like. Who doesn't want to watch a wooden boat come together.

Who am I to tell a builder what to do or how to document his/her build? All I can say is that at least one person is following this thread with interest.

What you do with this information is up to you.

Maximus,

One's enough for me... Judging from the number of views since I posted that last note, I'd say others are looking too, just not willing to comment(?) At any rate, I will continue to update.

BTW, what boat are you thinking of building?

Thanks for stopping by.

-Vern

One thing I should have mentioned regarding the fiberglass, is that there are three layers over the center of the hull, with two on either side (still on the bottom, not the sides of the hull...hope that make sense!). The sides of the hull (above the chine) have one layer... The plans weren't all that clear, but sounded like only one layer was called for. That and the fact that only 14 yards of cloth were spec'd. I decided to purchase 20 yards (54" wide from Fiberlay, Inc. in Tacoma) just so that I could have additional layers in some areas. So I basically unrolled cloth starting at the stern toward the stem, once each side, which overlapped in the center by about 8 to 10 inches. Then I laid a 'strip' down the center, which again, at 54" wide overlapped the chine by about 2" on each side. If you look at the above photos, I think it should be apparent what I did...

The weather here is gorgeous until tomorrow night, then rain...it's killing me not to have the epoxy on hand so I can move the project forward! Tracking info says it won't arrive until next Tuesday.

-V.

Vern:

I've purchased the plans for the Lumberyard Skiff. The plans detail the boat at 16' and 20'. My plan is to split the difference and build it at 18'. Should be just the ticket for the lakes that I have access to.

Thanks for documenting your build.

Max

keep posting Vern - have just subscribed to it
    1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    1985 Glen L15 - 1980 Johnson 7.5 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus71 View Post
    Vern:

I've purchased the plans for the Lumberyard Skiff. The plans detail the boat at 16' and 20'. My plan is to split the difference and build it at 18'. Should be just the ticket for the lakes that I have access to.

Thanks for documenting your build.

Max
    Max, please do a build thread. I'm not to many hops n skips south of you and I have been considering the 20' with a small cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogsnight View Post
    keep posting Vern - have just subscribed to it
    2dogs... Will do! Thanks for the feedback.

Ben:

That is the plan. I'm hoping to get caught up on everything else so I can start this fall. time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus71 View Post
    Ben:

That is the plan. I'm hoping to get caught up on everything else so I can start this fall. time will tell.
    Awesome! I hope everything lines up for you to get to building.

...UPS tracking info says my Epoxy is now in Spokane, WA. Normally this would mean I'd have it by end of day tomorrow...But since it's getting handed off to USPS( ) it could be delayed until Wednesday...

Epoxy finally arrived, but too late to do anything that day. Yesterday was productive, and I managed to get the rest of the fiberglass applied. I do have a few small issues to correct, but are minor and shouldn't take much more time. My goal is to have it ready for paint this weekend (tomorrow at the earliest!). Then it will be time to find bodies to help flip onto the trailer for the inside work...

Edit: sorry for the lack of photo, but I've ended up switching to yet another photo hosting site, which is causing more heartburn trying to post images. I'll include them as soon as I have it sorted. Thanks for your patience...

-Vern

p.s., for now, here's a link: https://imgur.com/GgIv0FY
    Last edited by EclecticNeophyte; 05-03-2018 at 11:30 AM.

First paint to hit the hull... [que background cheering and applause]
    DISCLAIMER:

* I AM NOT A PAINTER! *
    * I AM NOT A FIBERGLASS GURU *
    * I AM [DEFINITELY] NOT A SKILLED BOAT BUILDER *

...now, with all that out of the way, here are the photos (I hope) :

...stay tuned. More to come...

-Vern

Picked up a couple of lengths of 1" x 4" x 18+ft vertical grain fir, to be use as rub rails... I was surprised how straight and clear they are!

Once the hull is painted and flipped, I'll apply them, stain (probably teak oil), then coat with Polyurethane finish.

-V.

...more paint(ing).

There's two coats of the red(ish) color on the bottom, and one over two coats of white above the chine... I'll give the chine another coat of the red, then pull the masking tape. One more band of color will go farther down (or is it up?).

-Vern
    Last edited by EclecticNeophyte; 05-07-2018 at 03:38 PM.

looking great!
    wandering what paint is it
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

looking great!
    wandering what paint is it
    Thanks. The paint is really nothing special, and may not even hold up... I didn't want to spend the $$ on marine paint (plus shipping) at this point, so went with plain old BEHR brand exterior oil based enamel, semi-gloss, at about $29/gal from the local Home Bleep-o...

As for the colors, it's just base white and something they call "January Garnet". The third color will be black. The boat will sit on my trailer most days; in fresh water a few hours per few days, so I didn't figure the expense of marine paint was worth it. I could be wrong, but for the difference in dollars am willing to give it a try... The stuff smells (and makes me dizzy) about the same, goes on the same, so other than price time will tell.

-Vern
    Last edited by EclecticNeophyte; 05-17-2018 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EclecticNeophyte View Post
    Thanks. The paint is really nothing special, and may not even hold up... I didn't want to spend the $$ on marine paint (plus shipping) at this point, so went with plain old BEHR brand exterior polyurethane semi-gloss, at about $29/gal from the local Home Bleep-o...

As for the colors, it's just base white and something they call "January Garnet". The third color will be black. The boat will sit on my trailer most days; in fresh water a few hours per few days, so I didn't figure the expense of marine paint was worth it. I could be wrong, but for the difference in dollars am willing to give it a try... The stuff smells (and makes me dizzy) about the same, goes on the same, so other than price time will tell.

-Vern

If the paint doesn't hold up, sand well and try epoxy floor coating. It's not marine paint expensive but seems to be better than house paint. You could also try the Rustoleum oil based tractor paint.

...no progress on this last couple of days. Weather here has taken a nose dive, and isn't expected to be nice the rest of the week... I'll update once there is more to report. Good news is, the rain doesn't seem to be bothering the paint (so far, so good).

-V.

summer is just around the corner Vern
    I like the trailer you've got for the boat!
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

summer is just around the corner Vern
    I like the trailer you've got for the boat!
    Thanks. It took quite a lot of searching to find it! It's an old one, but is in great condition. I do have to adjust the middle set of skids (or bunks?), and I haven't yet decided how I'll modify them. They set lower than the outer two, and were welded in position by a former owner. Not to overstate the obvious, but that setup won't support the flat bottom of the Tillamook.

I might just turn my son loose on them with an angle grinder and a cutoff wheel...then lengthen the uprights and re-attach. A more temporary solution however would be to just put pressure treated 4x4's on top, lag bolt them down, then shape with the belt sander or power planer. That way, I can reverse the whole mess if I ever needed to sell the trailer, and the buyer needed it to accommodate a V bottom again...

My older son helped me mask off another section of the hull for the last of the paint colors; and even helped me throw on the first coat. Not the best day to paint, but I'm tired of waiting for the weather...and will just deal with the issues before the second coat.

I'll post a photo once I have it uploaded, etc..

-Vern

From the cap rail to the keel, the RC Tug shown below was the inspiration for the color scheme (photo is from another forum - rcgroups.com):

...something about the color combo just spoke to me. My understanding is the model (in this photo) is of a 1866 Weymouth tug. I also had something similar to this on the hull of my 1972 Grand Banks 32 (sadly/gladly, no longer in my possession). Granted, it's hull was basically white, and the 'red' was anti-fouling bottom paint with a black boot-stripe...

The boot-stripe will just be a bit bigger on the Tilly.

-V.
    Last edited by EclecticNeophyte; 05-10-2018 at 06:19 PM.