Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another wood boat...

Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

Here2 - Thanks for raising that point. I've been watching that series, but had to go back and view the episode again (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmWV7c8x_Dc) before I realized what you were referring to. I've made notes on my copy of the plans, to set the blade angle before ripping the chine log.

UPDATE:

While cleaning up my wood storage rack over the weekend, I found some 2 x 6 lumber that had been stacked away and forgotten. The stuff was pretty weathered, but also pretty straight. So I decided to stretch my boat budget a bit further and make use of them to build the strong back.

I also cut a bunch of support blocks, which means I can begin setting the ribs at their appropriate stations; allowing me to get on with the actual build.

-Vern

...16 ft 2x6 for the keelson. Must have looked ridiculous hanging out the back end of my pickup, but never the less, got it home safely. Also grabbed some 1" x 4" x 12' pine for the sheer and chine logs when the time comes...

-V.

Today, I finally returned to work on the Tillamook. After finishing the support blocks, I attached the transom to the keelson, then fine-tuned the positions of the ribs... Working Stern to Stem, I began clamping the keelson to the support blocks and strong back. It became immediately obvious that I hadn't paid close enough attention to VB's warning regarding making the strong back stiff enough, so I backed off tension on the clamps, and went about reinforcing the jig. After clamping things down again, I noticed something weird while sighting down the frames. Somehow I had reversed frames 3 and 4! With the help of my son (who held up the keelson), I put frames 3 and 4 in natural order.

While attending to a couple of other things, I began hearing the keelson making noise; then ultimately some of the stuff I had laying on it began to 'dance' in time with the snap-crack-pop! I quickly released the clamps on the bow end of the keelson and had a closer look...

The above photo was taken after I attempted a half-a$$ed repair, but shows the fracture that was propagating from a loose knot. I sort of noticed the knot when I was picking through the pile of 2x6 lumber, but didn't give it much thought. The stick that I selected also had the fewest defects of any I examined, and decided to take the gamble. At any rate, I'm hoping the epoxy will marry things back together. I also drilled a 1/4" hole as close to the end of the crack as possible. I've had limited success stopping cracks this way, so I thought I'd give it a try. Tomorrow morning, I'll reapply clamps and hope the keelson doesn't snap in two!

...while preparing these photos for display here, I noticed another mistake I'll have to correct before continuing. It's obvious in the above photo, and can be traced back to when I swapped frames 3 and 4... Good thing I haven't glued them to the keelson yet!

Onward and upward...

-Vern

Frame facing wrong direction? Keep on plugging

tony

Quote Originally Posted by here2 View Post
    Frame facing wrong direction? Keep on plugging

tony
    Yup. My son was straining to hold up the keelson, and in my haste to swap the locations of frames 3
    and 4, I neglected to swap each frame end-to-end. It's since been corrected.

-Vern

Question:

Is it best to begin attaching the longitudinal members (i.e., chine log and sheer clamp), from the stem and work towards the stern, or the other way round? I seem to recall reading about this somewhere, but can't find it now. I've read through Jeff's "Illustrated Guide..." several times, but am not seeing it there either...

-Vern

Not real sure what I did but it'll be easier I would think to start at stem then you have leverage to pull into the bend

Quote Originally Posted by here2 View Post
    Not real sure what I did but it'll be easier I would think to start at stem then you have leverage to pull into the bend
    Thanks Tony. That makes good sense. ...still waiting for the epoxy on the keelson to set. It's been getting cool here at night, and only in the low to mid 70's during the day. It was such a small amount to mix, I also may not have gotten the portions quite right... Hopefully it will be set by tomorrow after work.

I did manage to make a usable scarf joint, to extend a 1x4 for one of the chine logs. So I'm still making some small bit of progress I guess.

-Vern

Wish I had read this before attempting to bend the keelson:

http://spirainternational.com/downlo...am_Bending.pdf

...doesn't require a steam box. Just some old rags, and a pot of boiling water!

If you have room, starting at the stem is probably easier. I did mine starting from the stern and used clamps as I went.

I also did them both at the same time, more or less. I was trying to keep the forces sort of balanced, but I've seen others do both chine and sheer on one side then go to the other. That would make me nervous.

Are you going to notch your frames? The chine notch in those forward frames might interfere with your screws. No big deal--just undrive them and screw a little more inward.

The reason I ask is the plans call for notching the frames, but I've seen boats built with beveled filler pieces installed after the fact. I might even try that next go around. The problem there is you'd probably have to resize the frames or you'd end up with sides wider at the bow than planned.

I don't think the building pamphlet really goes into it, but I think beveling the frames prior to notching is the best way to go. In order to do that, use longitudinal battens to get a sense of what the angle should be at various points of the frame. Then just plane away, or drawknife if you are careful. A power plane makes quick work of it. Check with the battens all over to get it reasonably fair.

Then once the bevels are established, it's not hard to saw the notches. Doing it by hand with a Japanese-type draw saw is the safe and careful way. Or you could do it like I did, tempting danger, using a skilsaw set to the right depth and cutting four or five 3/4" kerfs into the frame and then chiseling away the excess.

Lately I've found the virtues of a multitool to make me even lazier in cutting slots, etc. Just be careful about being over zealous.

Oh, one more thing: when you start installing your longitudinals, make sure and measure the distance between frames, top and bottom, and both sides. In the heat of the moment it is not hard to torque them out of square. Double check before fastening. That's the advantage of using clamps before you commit to the screws.

Major requirement you don't seem to have anywhere in sight EN.. the proverbial "moaning chair"

good work!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Vern,

If you ever make it down to Portland, let me know you're coming. I'd be pleased to show you my Tillamook, and we could take her out on the Willamette so you get a feel for her.

Good luck with your build,

CB

Bravo.....bravo. I can't believe I missed the notches. A batten would be a great idea, I cut mine square on the ground and then had some that were way to much and others well you get the point

tony

Thanks everyone! All comments and tips are very much appreciated!

The company is shipping me off to the east coast for next week, so there won't be any progress until I return. But my goal remains to have this thing planked, with at least one layer of fiberglass/epoxy before the cold weather (rain, snow, etc) hits... Cross your fingers!

-Vern

I tried the rags/boiling water trick to bend the keelson, and it worked out ok.

I'll try to put up a photo of it bent to shape later... I probably could have gotten better results had I setup some sort of way to heat the water, so that it was nearer to the work. As it was, I simply set a camp style coffee kettle on the outboard burner of my bbq. The kettle only held a little over a quart of water, so I doused the keelson with about a gallon of boiling water; one quart at a time. I knew that if I tried to carry a larger volume over the distance, I'd likely be treating myself for burns... The kettle has a pour spout, which made for better control of the water.

The blue tarp shown in the photo was placed in hopes of keeping the strongback dry.

See y'all in a week (or two?)...
    -Vern

...not the best picture quality, but it's a bit of a dreary day today, and I was in also in a hurry. One thing is becoming evident...I need more/better clamps. The pistol style clamps were marginal at best; not to mention difficult to draw down, against the bending resistance of the keelson.

Quote Originally Posted by EclecticNeophyte View Post
    Thanks everyone! All comments and tips are very much appreciated!

The company is shipping me off to the east coast for next week, so there won't be any progress until I return. But my goal remains to have this thing planked, with at least one layer of fiberglass/epoxy before the cold weather (rain, snow, etc) hits... Cross your fingers!

-Vern
    ...didn't make it. Won't have the fiberglass cloth until end of next month, and by then I might as well wait until spring...unless I can build a boat shed.

-Vern

...not sure about these angles. I fitted the chine logs, and things seem to mate up well, but still...it just doesn't look right.

Any more progress over this long winter, Vern?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Oregon View Post
    Any more progress over this long winter, Vern?
    Hi Bill,

Unfortunately no, as I still don't have a sheltered are to work on it. Between the demands at work, and wind/rain/generally cold crappy weather here, the project is still on hold... I'm hoping to get back to it soon. I'll update here when I do.

-Vern

...Ok! I'm back on the project like a sailor on shore leave. I plan to work through the three-day weekend, and will take progress photos to share next week...

-Vern

photobucket seems a bit messed up...couldn't copy photo links. Will try again tomorrow...

I guess it was just the hour of night (server maintenance perhaps?)...

I managed to get the chine logs mounted before having to run back to work for a night shift. With each step, it gets easier to see the intended shape... Aside from being constantly underfoot, the dog adds character to the photos...(that and 'surprises' for me to step in).

-V.

...doesn't seem like a whole weekend's work, but that's the way it shook out. In between a nap (or two?).

-Vern

...sorting out how to best layout the 1/2" ply for the bottom. At this point, I still need to shave down the chine logs etc., before laying on the bottom.

...I'll need to get this done soon, so that I'm not trying to lay on epoxy and fiberglass in 100 degree temps!

TIP: (The folks that have build one of these boats will likely know this already, so the 'TIP' is for those who haven't or are just getting started...). I was initially skeptical as to how one could cover the sides of the boat hull in plywood with only three 4' x 8' sheets. But after a little figuring, I realized it could be done by rotating the sheet of ply perpendicular to the axis of the hull.

...seems a bit counter intuitive, but it worked.

-Vern
    Last edited by EclecticNeophyte; 05-30-2017 at 05:38 PM.

For anyone still interested, I've continued to make progress. As soon as a suitable replacement photobucket is found, I'll post updates...

-Vern

Quote Originally Posted by EclecticNeophyte View Post
    For anyone still interested, I've continued to make progress. As soon as a suitable replacement photobucket is found, I'll post updates...

-Vern
    Photobucket has screwed us all. I'm using flickr and have been for a few years without any problems.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    Photobucket has screwed us all. I'm using flickr and have been for a few years without any problems.
    I just setup an account, and started uploading photos... A bit of a learning curve compared to Photochuckit, but I think I'm getting it figured out. Just need to understand how to link photos, and I'll be set.

-Vern

Well, here goes nuthin...

Trimmed up the 'planking' with a router. Will take a belt sander to it to finish...