Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Yet another wood boat...

Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    If the paint doesn't hold up, sand well and try epoxy floor coating. It's not marine paint expensive but seems to be better than house paint. You could also try the Rustoleum oil based tractor paint.
    Thanks. I'll definitely keep this in mind, and makes sense if it's epoxy over epoxy... I also found this thread here: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...d-marine-paint

...so it looks like my idea of using 'house paint' certainly isn't original, or as 'hair-brained' as I first thought...

I put the second coat of black on today. I've got a couple of places where I didn't get things masked correctly, so white is showing through between the red and black...Once things harden up, I'll re-mask and touch up those areas.

-Vern

...pretty close to having a boat flipping party.

Good werk.

On the trailer at last! Now for the inside work... That tall lad in the background is my younger son/high school grad. The boat would still be on the strong-back if not for the effort of him and his brother; who did the bulk of the heavy lifting...

Fitting the rub rails and cutting to length...

She's boaty.

Went to the local county auditor's office, Dept of Licensing today... There was panic in the eyes of the person that helped me when I said I'd "done and gone and built a boat, and would like to register it...". Luckily the person sitting at the next desk, had been through the process, and (to my amazement) it all went off like clockwork. No wait, no head scratching, nothing but success. One thing I wasn't expecting, and don't really know the reason for, is that 'because it's home made', the state won't issue a title for three years. I don't know how other states are, but Washington has certainly got it's quirks...

So, she's all official now, with HID and registration numbers, stickers, etc.. Declared value was based on my receipts, but I got the feeling I could have declared any value above that. No idea what it would have done to the tax assessment if I had claimed thousands of dollars, rather than the few hundred that I did ($860, which was pennies above my receipts).

...on to getting this thing finished out on the inside, so I can take it to the river for a float test. Aarrr!

-V.
    Last edited by EclecticNeophyte; 05-16-2018 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EclecticNeophyte View Post
    Went to the local county auditor's office, Dept of Licensing today... There was panic in the eyes of the person that helped me when I said I'd "done and gone and built a boat, and would like to register it...". Luckily the person sitting at the next desk, had been through the process, and (to my amazement) it all went off like clockwork. No wait, no head scratching, nothing but success. One thing I wasn't expecting, and don't really know the reason for, is that 'because it's home made', the state won't issue a title for three years. I don't know how other states are, but Washington has certainly got it's quirks...

So, she's all official now, with HID and registration numbers, stickers, etc.. Declared value was based on my receipts, but I got the feeling I could have declared any value above that. No idea what it would have done to the tax assessment if I had claimed thousands of dollars, rather than the few hundred that I did ($860, which was pennies above my receipts).

...on to getting this thing finished out on the inside, so I can take it to the river for a float test. Aarrr!

-V.
    I think the three years wait is to dissuade backyard builders from building and selling potentially dangerous boats to unsuspecting people. Just a guess. Here, any home built boat has to pass CG inspection before it can be sold, or that's the way it was about 10 years ago when I was looking to sell a knock together boat.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    I think the three years wait is to dissuade backyard builders from building and selling potentially dangerous boats to unsuspecting people. Just a guess. Here, any home built boat has to pass CG inspection before it can be sold, or that's the way it was about 10 years ago when I was looking to sell a knock together boat.
    You could be spot on. Here the stated language was "Ownership in doubt". No mention was made of any sort of inspection of the vessel, but then again, their charter is to collect fees and issue tabs/do title transfers/collect fees, etc... Did I mention collection of fees?

Seems to me something like photo-documenting the build, should be adequate proof of ownership, but what do I know...I'm just a tax payer.

-Vern

Tried to let these two get acquainted, but failed... She's young, and apparently not quite ready yet.

Those bolts are backed out as far as they'll go, but 'no-go'. I guess the plywood is thicker than I thought! I'll 'massage' things a bit, and make it fit... I need to take care of issues like this prior to treating the inside with epoxy and paint.

Otherwise, just minor progress today, with mostly clean up. Went around the inside with a small angle grinder to take off the sharp points of deck screws that were a little long, or sunk too deep. Then a once over with the shop vacuum to get all the debris out. Also paid a visit to an engraving shop, for a small stainless steel tag with the HIN. I'll recess it into the VG Fir on the transom, then lay it flat and pour it flush with clear epoxy. That way it's permanently affixed...well, mostly.

I've also been trying to decide what the deck should look like, and I think I'll be doing something similar to what 'Here2' did (see earlier post). I don't know that I'll be using Fir however simply due to the cost (~ $2 / bf ) ...

-V.

...am I loosing my marbles, or did Photo-suckit restore all our pictures? Is this just a tease, or ...? All of my early photos have magically returned!

...am I loosing my marbles, or did Photo-suckit restore all our pictures? Is this just a tease, or ...? All of my early photos have magically returned!
    Did you install the browser add on to allow you to see the pics? There is a browser add on for firefox and chrome that fixes the links that photophucket messed up.

Not intentionally. But my browser (Mozilla Firefox for Linux) did do an update recently that I just went with... bottom line is, I guess I misunderstood the problem. I thought Photobucket was basically holding everyone's photos for ransom (so to speak), and the only way you could see them again, was to pay their annual fee. My bad for not paying attention, but then again, I've had other things on my mind...

Thanks for shedding some light.
    -Vern

Not intentionally. But my browser (Mozilla Firefox for Linux) did do an update recently that I just went with... bottom line is, I guess I misunderstood the problem. I thought Photobucket was basically holding everyone's photos for ransom (so to speak), and the only way you could see them again, was to pay their annual fee. My bad for not paying attention, but then again, I've had other things on my mind...

Thanks for shedding some light.
    -Vern

Photobucket is holding people's accounts for ransom still. Some clever person came up with the browser extensions to allow us to see the pics anyway.

Here is the guys page with the fix. His add-ons are Mozilla approved.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/jlevers/

I released the clamps on the rub rail yesterday, and mounted them with with epoxy glue and screws; mostly from the back side. One screw head per rib is visible from the outside, but I may decide to fill/plug them for a little cleaner look. I was hoping the 1 x 4 fir would take on more of the shape than they did, but it was better than when first fitted; ultimately it seemed to require less force to bend them and bring up next to the hull for final attachment. So as not to loose longitudinal position, I everything clamped midship, released the clamps aft, then applied glue and then screwed tight. Then went forward and did the same. Seems to have worked well.

It's hard to see in the above photo, but the screws are spaced about 6" - 8" apart, and alternate high - low...

Looks much better without all those clamps!

-Vern

Rounded up more supplies (paint for the inside, spar varnish, paint rollers, more wood, etc.), then fitted a 'tie rail' (if you know what the nautical term for this is, please enlighten me). Getting it attached was more of a challenge than either the sheer clamp, or the rub rail; but was fitted to the ribs similarly to the way the sheer clamp is, but without removing as much material.

...I also guessed the length needed to be 14 ft, which just so happened to be spot on. Once the shade finds it's way over the boat, I'll go after the other side.

-Vern
    Last edited by EclecticNeophyte; 05-22-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Also forgot to mention the decking...for now, nothing fancy. It adds a bunch of weight, but then I won't be carrying it anywhere without the trailer anyway.

I purchased a 2 x 10 (which turned out to be only 9 1/4" !) for the center, then 2 x 4's for either side. I formed a tenon in the 2 x 10 so it would fit between the transom gussets, then will be trimmed to length.

I have a nice big Coleman cooler that will fit up front. My plan is to enclose the nose where the first rib is, for a small forward storage locker. I'll keep a battery for the nav lights, etc there.

-V

...btw, if anyone's wondering what my plan is for this boat, I'll leave you with the following photo of me, taken last fall...

...holding a nice big Chinook buck, 30 lbs, 44" long, and fought like hell! I'll probably never catch one like that again, but I'd like to die trying.

-V.

NICE! The boat is looking great. The inner sheer clamp is called the coaming. The rubrail-washboard-coaming assembly is a structural member that provides transverse stiffness against buckling of the hull topsides in "peapod action." So the wider the better in my opinion for an open floor plan boat.

You might consider installing a spray rail at this point about half the way up on the topsides. They work well. Also, the floor interior should have limbers such that any water entering the boat can drain to bilge pumps, or out onto the ground when on the trailer. This will improve boat life, and reduce boat "stinkyness."
    Last edited by Skiff Man; 05-22-2018 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks Skiff Man. I'm ready for the construction phase of this adventure to come to an end, and the 'get her on the water' part to begin!

There are limber holes on both sides of the keelson per Jeff's plan. At the time I was building the ribs, I didn't think about adding any more, so I've made certain the decking can be removed easily (relatively speaking) in order to clean, etc.. I only plan to use the boat on the nearby river which is dead calm except for the occasional boat wake. I might venture as far as one or two 'lakes' that are really irrigation reservoirs that have been stocked with fish... The corner of Washington state that I live in, is pretty dry, so things dry out pretty fast.

If spray proves to be a problem, I'll definitely add rails as you've suggested.

...time to go out and start coating the interior with CPES. Once that's cured, I'll paint... Weather app says it's going to hit 90 F today...I wish I had built a boat shed first!

-Vern

Lot's of progress last couple of days, but not necessarily on this boat. I also didn't stop to take photos (sorry). I'm putting off some 'not-so-urgent' items of the wood boat, in favor of getting it usable in time for a visit by some friends on Sunday. I still need some sort of seating in place, otherwise everyone will be sitting directly on the deck! Anyway, I'll put up some photos soon, as well as (hopefully) a short video of her underway...

-Vern

Well, at long last, the fruits of my efforts. The following photos are of the boat as it was fitted for Memorial Day 'maiden voyage' and float test. I needed a quick (and cheap) seating solution, as the family wanted to go along (the did after all help with the build!). So please forgive the plastic Wall Mart Adirondack chairs. They were screwed to the decking, but have since been removed. The only member of the crew who didn't have a comfortable place to sit was the Skipper... My eldest son acted as 'lookout' so we could steer clear of debris.

Hope you like.

...lots of looks, but thankfully no leaks!

...short YT clip of it underway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-35ZgNaTSaY

As it turned out, the engine had a carburetor/fuel pump issue that I wasn't previously aware of, that prevented getting it up to 'full throttle'. I was still able to treat everyone to a nice cruise on the river, and no one incited mutiny...

-Vern

One quick note regarding hull performance...

The following day, I launched the boat with my friend from Seattle, and after leaving the 'NO WAKE!' zone (even at mid throttle, the boat barely raised any wake; with ripples of about 4 - 6 inches), I cranked the throttle up full. With the old late 1970's 20 hp Merc, pushing her, we quickly got up on a plane. Crossing another boat's wake, the hull slapped the water, but nothing out of the ordinary for a flat bottom. On a plane and even with all my construction errors, she handled nicely. Smooth, VERY stable, and overall way better than I was expecting. As I mentioned above, the motor had a starvation issue that prevented extended run at full throttle. But for a short time we were flying along at a good clip. I can't say what the speed was, as I wasn't prepared for a speed test.

-Vern

Some last remaining photos to show how the boat was painted inside, then refitted with commercial made pedestal seats...

Everything inside (except the Coleman cooler) was coated with epoxy

I used to have about 10 gallons of Smith's CPES, but over the years have gone through most of it.

Once everything was painted and dry, the seats were added; then everything else went back in/on.

Ready for the river!

The motor also required a carb and fuel pump rebuild, so this also served as a test to see if the issues with them were resolved.

...not the greatest video, but it's what I have:

-Vern