Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 130

Thread: Yet another wood boat...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kennewick, WA, USA
    Posts
    100

    Default Yet another wood boat...

    Greetings all,

    I'm new to this forum, but no all that new to wood boats. While I don't consider myself an expert by any stretch, I've owned/maintained/restored a few woodies over the last 45 years or so.

    A little background: Not counting the boat my dad had, my first, was a canvas covered wood framed canoe that I rescued from the landfill as a kid. Next was a 1950's 14ft plywood JayCraft, in my 20's...then finally a GB 32 that I owned/maintained for nearly twenty years. My eldest son was born just a few days after taking possession of the 32, and he seldom knew a summer without it under his feet. I've also helped friends with their wood boats, largest of which were a couple of all wood GB 42's.

    Recently, I've been struck by the desire to build; and have gotten a small start on a Tillamook Pacific dory by Jeff Spira. Having knocked out the transom a couple of evenings back, and in just a few hours time, I'm anxious to move on to the ribs and strong-back. I plan to use the boat locally on the nearby river, for bass fishing, playing, etc... Not much rough water happens here. Just some chop generated by the all-too-frequent winds. Initially I had thought about a 16ft "gentleman's" runabout. But since I'm not that much of a gentleman, and the design was too impractical for anything other than burning up a lot of fuel; I settled instead, on the Tillamook. I have a lead on a 'free' trailer (needs new tires), an old Bayliner boat that might provide nav lights and other hopefully useful junk...

    So I'm curious if there are any other builders/owners of this dory (near Kennewick Washington), that wouldn't mind too greatly; if a grey haired biker/boater had a gander at a finished item...? Of course, I'm open to hints, tips and suggestions; pitfalls to avoid, and so forth. I haven't yet decided on a console, or simple tiller arrangement.

    Thanks for reading.
    -Vern

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    se pa (Bristol PA)
    Posts
    2,982

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Welcome to the site! We are a photo hungry bunch! Good luck on the build!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    464

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Yes, photos are best. Check out the FAQ on how to attach them.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    148

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Vern, wishing you the best on your build. That dory is a real beauty, and if you get tired of boating the Columbia you can always bring it Cape Kiwanda and do a surf launch.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Clarkston, Washington
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Welcome, Vern.

    I'm not real close--about 2 1/2 hours away in Clarkston WA. I'm building a bigger cousin to your Tillamook: a Spira Anacapa. I changed the profile some by cutting down the sheer approximately 6", but otherwise it is built as designed. My waters will be the Snake River, Clearwater, and maybe down your way on the Columbia from time to time.

    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-Spria-Anacapa

    (Please disregard the unchangeable typo in the thread title )

    It's a pretty straightforward build. I think the only tips I have to offer are few: make sure you have a decent strongback--putting it on casters helps if you have somewhat tight space. You can push it around to gain access. Brace the stem well before fastening the keelson so it is nice and plumb. Epoxy is the preferred adhesive, but PL Premium does a pretty good job on frames (but it didn't do so well for me on scarf joints); and finally, just have fun. They are certainly sturdy boats.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Delmar, New York
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Welcome to the forum. There can never be enough wood boats in the world. Building one is akin to having a child without having to worry about college bills or video games. I'm too far away to offer more than priceless internet advice and moral support, but that in spades.

    In case you haven't crossed the "posting pictures" bridge, it's very easy. Don't be fooled by complaints.

    Jim

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kennewick, WA, USA
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Wow! Thanks everyone! I'm transferring photos from my stupid smart phone now, and will put them up soon. Again, thanks for the warm welcome!

    -Vern

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kennewick, WA, USA
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Oregon View Post
    Vern, wishing you the best on your build. That dory is a real beauty, and if you get tired of boating the Columbia you can always bring it Cape Kiwanda and do a surf launch.
    Y KNOT? I can't think of a funner thing, and when we're done (assuming I survive) we can tip one at the Pelican Pub... I'd love to catch a few Dungeness while there (is that still allowed these days?)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kennewick, WA, USA
    Posts
    100

    Talking Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Quote Originally Posted by VictorBravo View Post
    Welcome, Vern.

    I'm not real close--about 2 1/2 hours away in Clarkston WA. I'm building a bigger cousin to your Tillamook: a Spira Anacapa. I changed the profile some by cutting down the sheer approximately 6", but otherwise it is built as designed. My waters will be the Snake River, Clearwater, and maybe down your way on the Columbia from time to time.

    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-Spria-Anacapa

    (Please disregard the unchangeable typo in the thread title )

    It's a pretty straightforward build. I think the only tips I have to offer are few: make sure you have a decent strongback--putting it on casters helps if you have somewhat tight space. You can push it around to gain access. Brace the stem well before fastening the keelson so it is nice and plumb. Epoxy is the preferred adhesive, but PL Premium does a pretty good job on frames (but it didn't do so well for me on scarf joints); and finally, just have fun. They are certainly sturdy boats.
    VB,

    I'm scanning through that now. I'm picking up a LOT of good ideas...I like how you built your strong-back, and the scarfing jig is almost verbatim what I had in mind...using a router in place of a circular saw.

    Looking at your profile, it also appears we share more than one similar interest.

    -Vern

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kennewick, WA, USA
    Posts
    100

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kennewick, WA, USA
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    PROGRESS REPORT:

    A couple of free hours presented themselves earlier today, so I setup the trusty "back yard boat building bench"; and hacked out a couple more frames (1 & 2). Only took me about four hours... Not exactly stellar progress, but hey...it was an excuse to get outside (96 deg F) and enjoy the biting flies, hungry yellow jackets, next door neighbor's baying beagles, and some smart-assed squirrels lobbing walnuts from the shade tree... Oh yeah, I think I killed a couple of beers in there somewhere, had a sammich (possibly with the beer) and maybe another beer... then fought with the wife (something about drinking the last beer...go figure). All-in-all, a reasonably fruitful (half)day.

    ...more excitement to come.
    -Vern

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Delmar, New York
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Hey progress is progress. I always do better work well fed and lubricated.

    Nice pics!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kennewick, WA, USA
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Thanks Jim.

    Once this project progresses past building frames, and on to binding them together, I'll have to stop and build some sort of temporary shelter for it. With winter not that far off, setting up out back under the shade tree will no longer cut it... South-Eastern Washington state is pretty arid compared to the 'wet-side', but there's still enough precip at times to compromise wood, ruin finishes, etc. We get a lot of wind/blowing dust here as well, so it would be good to have a protected area to work in... I've got a spot in the back yard all picked out...just need to prep it, and get out the trusty old skilsaw and nail gun. If I keep it just under 200 sq ft, the local building dept will (I hope) stay the hell away...

    -Vern

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Well I like the building style slow, steady, and with beer! I built a oysterman a few years ago and it seems my thread is archived but here's a picture of how I finished the inside .

    i just use it for tooling around and fishing on the Detroit river. At one point in the build I came close to just mixing up rust oleum to make a nice gray color or tan color and use her for chasing waterfowl. I'm glad I didn't cuz she came out pretty nice for a hack like me building her. Anyways sorry so long winded and cheers

    tony

    ps that really fancy cooler by the old gate ended up being my seat, yes the only one. If younwanna go for a ride bring your own cooler!
    Last edited by here2; 08-13-2016 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Additional info

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kennewick, WA, USA
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    She's a beaut! What species of wood did you use for the deck planking?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    It's Doug fir t&g "porch flooring " from local lumber yard, I ripped the t&g off.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kennewick, WA, USA
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    ...more small progress. Built up through frame 5 before running out of 2x4's that weren't corkscrews or full of other defects. Trying to find straight lumber (locally) without splits and lose knots, has been a real challenge...



    Once the last two frames (i.e., 6 & 7) are fabricated, I'll start work on the jig/strong-back.

    -Vern

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kennewick, WA, USA
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    One very minor additional note: I've been pre-drilling prior to running the screws in, for if I don't, these 2by's split like green apples. I don't know if it's because they were cut from the heart of the tree, grain pattern, particular species, overly dried at the mill, or what... I've had this experience plenty of times on other projects, and had to compensate by adjusting my construction practices accordingly.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    se pa (Bristol PA)
    Posts
    2,982

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Hemlock very brittle vs spruce & pine that is not easy to find in SPF stamped lumber
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Clarkston, Washington
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Quote Originally Posted by EclecticNeophyte View Post
    One very minor additional note: I've been pre-drilling prior to running the screws in, for if I don't, these 2by's split like green apples. I don't know if it's because they were cut from the heart of the tree, grain pattern, particular species, overly dried at the mill, or what... I've had this experience plenty of times on other projects, and had to compensate by adjusting my construction practices accordingly.
    I'm surprised you can't find decent Doug Fir. Our lumber yard had a lot of decent straight 2X material. It came from a local sawmill--Bennett Lumber.

    I always predrill, though. I have a Milwaukee M12 drill clipped to my hip and a M12 driver on the other hip. It's second nature to drill and drive screws on this type of wood.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kennewick, WA, USA
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Quote Originally Posted by VictorBravo View Post
    I'm surprised you can't find decent Doug Fir. Our lumber yard had a lot of decent straight 2X material. It came from a local sawmill--Bennett Lumber.

    I always predrill, though. I have a Milwaukee M12 drill clipped to my hip and a M12 driver on the other hip. It's second nature to drill and drive screws on this type of wood.
    Well, for now at least, I only need a couple more 2x4's to knock out the last two frames; and a short piece for the stem. So I'll see what I can dig up in the next few days... There is a new lumberyard a couple of miles away, that I honestly never remember to investigate; and since I still need the chine and sheer logs, I may try them first...

    As for the pre-drill thing, mine are Ryobi...and I like to throw them on the ground just to show 'em who's in charge. The one is an impact driver, and has really proven it's worth with long screws though. I wouldn't trade it for anything...I'm not touting Ryobi here. I think any (good) brand impact driver might do just as well. Just evangelizing the impact over regular-cordless-drill/driver for driving long deck screws. IMHO, even with pre-drilling, I think the impact makes life a little easier. Besides that, they were on sale...plus I had a couple of gift cards.

    -Vern

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kennewick, WA, USA
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Even though I still have a couple more frames to build, I couldn't resist setting the others out for a visual...




  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kennewick, WA, USA
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Finished the last two frames (6&7), and the stem this morning...I also need to notch them, but not today (too many other tasks, more pressing). To build the strongback, and keelson, I'll need more material. That'll have to wait until payday at the end of the month... I think I still have a couple of gallons of Smith's CPES, so I Might just treat all of the frames with it while I'm waiting for more $$. On the other hand, it might make better sense to simply wait, until I have it all built and ready for glass; then treat it all at that time...decisions decisions...

    -Vern

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kennewick, WA, USA
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Tried to make more progress today by pressing my old Shopsmith 10ER into service, and mill out the frames for the keelson. After studying the plans, I setup the Shopsmith as a drillpress. Using the tablesaw table and guide fence, it was fairly easy to configure things so that I could run through all the frames quickly.



    ...I removed the insert from the table, so that the spade bit would pass through unobstructed. The marks on the blue painter's tape (stuck to the guide fence), allowed me to line up the center lines on the frames. The marks are offset from the 1" spade bits' center by 2.75" per the plans.



    ...by indexing the center line on the frame with the mark on the blue tape, I could drill the first hole, and then shift over (to the adjacent mark) and drill the other hole.



    Once both holes are drilled, I could move on to the next frame...



    ...there's only one problem here. I was so focused on making certain the marks were correctly positioned, things were aligned correctly, etc., that I overlooked one very significant detail...



    It shouldn't take too much study here to see where I goofed... Just wish I had caught my mistake a little earlier.

    -Vern

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Clarkston, Washington
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    I see it.... jumped right out at me.

    I think I'd leave the holes and try again with them closer to the bottom of the frames. The bottom frames are probably strong enough. Just call them ventilation holes.

    If you are worried, you can sister over the current holes with some 3/4 plywood as a gusset and they'd be stronger than original.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kennewick, WA, USA
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Quote Originally Posted by VictorBravo View Post
    I see it.... jumped right out at me.

    I think I'd leave the holes and try again with them closer to the bottom of the frames. The bottom frames are probably strong enough. Just call them ventilation holes.

    If you are worried, you can sister over the current holes with some 3/4 plywood as a gusset and they'd be stronger than original.
    LOL! ...Yeah, that was my plan (i.e., lay over some ply with either epoxy or polyurethane glue). It really did tic me off to see what I had done...oh well. Best to get used to it; I'm certain there will be plenty of other mistakes before I'm finished.

    The nice thing is, I can just move the guide fence over a bit and go after it again.

    -Vern

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kennewick, WA, USA
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Not pretty, but should still be usable.



    Some cleanup, gussets, and they'll be ready for a keelson...

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Clarkston, Washington
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Quote Originally Posted by EclecticNeophyte View Post
    Not pretty, but should still be usable.
    I imagine it will all be covered up by some sort of sole anyway.

    Press on!

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kennewick, WA, USA
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Quote Originally Posted by VictorBravo View Post
    I imagine it will all be covered up by some sort of sole anyway.

    Press on!
    Thanks for the encouragement VB.

    I'm leaning toward a planked floor or deck, similar to what Here2 has done with his Oystureman:

    http://s3.photobucket.com/user/iluvw...ip0rv.jpg.html

    ...seems like that should be easy enough to clean out using a garden hose. But that's about as fancy as I plan to get. I'll likely be painting the outside of the hull, but the inside is a different story. I'm less of a painter than I am a boat builder. Rollers, or brushes make little difference where I'm concerned. It will all come out looking like it all flew out of the bucket in one toss...

    -Vern

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Clarkston, Washington
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Quote Originally Posted by EclecticNeophyte View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement VB.

    I'm leaning toward a planked floor or deck, similar to what Here2 has done with his Oystureman:

    http://s3.photobucket.com/user/iluvw...ip0rv.jpg.html

    ...seems like that should be easy enough to clean out using a garden hose. But that's about as fancy as I plan to get. I'll likely be painting the outside of the hull, but the inside is a different story. I'm less of a painter than I am a boat builder. Rollers, or brushes make little difference where I'm concerned. It will all come out looking like it all flew out of the bucket in one toss...

    -Vern
    I like that simple approach too. But if you plan on encapsulating the whole boat in epoxy, you'll probably want to paint the interior too. Epoxy doesn't hold up to sunlight very well.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kennewick, WA, USA
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Quote Originally Posted by VictorBravo View Post
    I like that simple approach too. But if you plan on encapsulating the whole boat in epoxy, you'll probably want to paint the interior too. Epoxy doesn't hold up to sunlight very well.
    Quite right, and I'll do well to remember that. But I haven't yet really decided which way I'll go...as a pro; the planks look nice. Some cons are, that I could also see me taking a mis-step, lose my car keys, yadda yadda... between planks. A solid deck might solve those issues, but then what to do when it comes time to clean, etc... Varnish or Ctol are other options, but expensive if memory serves. I also know from experience that Varnish must be refreshed from time to time to keep it from deteriorating. I've never worked with Ctol, but I understand it's easier to apply, and lasts longer(?). No idea at this point what the price difference is of a good marine paint vs clear finish. I haven't purchased any recently, so it could be way different now than I remember. IIRC primer was the cheapest, paint next, then clear... As for my ineptitude with a paint brush...it's not like I'm building a piano. So a few runs here and there certainly isn't going to be enough to keep me from bass fishing.

    One alternative I suppose, is to keep the boat covered when not in use. Exposure to UV would be far less, and cleaning might be less of a concern as well. What are your plans for the interior of your Anacapa?

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Clarkston, Washington
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Quote Originally Posted by EclecticNeophyte View Post
    What are your plans for the interior of your Anacapa?

    I'm vacillating between boards or plywood for the sole. Either way, I intend to make them removable for cleaning.

    Boards can have a few cross-members attached to keep them together. My idea is to have them drop into place and be fastened down with some unobtrusive mechanism.

    Likewise for the plywood route.

    My latest idea is to fasten down longitudinally in the center of the boat a board that is the same thickness as whatever the floor would be. Bevel the sides of the board and flooring to make a locking match. Toward the sides of the boat, you can use rotating cleats or other kinds of locks to hold those sides down. The idea is to make it secure, but easy to lift up.

    Here is a rough drawing of what I'm talking about (unfortunately, I called it a "Center Board" but it's not for sailing).


    Regarding protecting the epoxy, I'm going to paint the whole interior.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    So idk if you've watched the total boat skiff build so far(you tube) , but one thing that struck me like lightning that he does is he rips his chine log so that when up right it will never hold water. I have while interior with horrible black lines from water siting in top of the chine log. It's all slathered in epoxy and painted with a very rare expensive specialty paint(rust oleum). So I would try to do something like that

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Clarkston, Washington
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Quote Originally Posted by here2 View Post
    So idk if you've watched the total boat skiff build so far(you tube) , but one thing that struck me like lightning that he does is he rips his chine log so that when up right it will never hold water. I have while interior with horrible black lines from water siting in top of the chine log. It's all slathered in epoxy and painted with a very rare expensive specialty paint(rust oleum). So I would try to do something like that
    I meant to do that in my current project, but forgot in the heat of things. But your comment reminded me to trim between the frames with a plane to accomplish mostly the same thing. It's a good idea to keep the chines from collecting water.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Yet another wood boat...

    Ya mine gets to sit in the sunshine, and rain, and clouds and bugs and leaves on a boat lift. You'd be amazed at how much dirt and stuff accumulates in the little nooks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •