Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I've got a friend who's currently making a yuloh for his Daydream from an old oregon flagpole.

Rick

I would suggest checking with your local surf club, there are many of these older broken wooden sweeps and oars hanging around.

At 6.5 m this yuloh could also turn WB into a yawl, also it will be interesting to check out the sweeps health underneath the Kevlar collar.

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

There's a bit of a difference between the shape of a sweep and that of a yuloh.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    I would suggest checking with your local surf club, there are many of these older broken wooden sweeps and oars hanging around..

At 6.5 m this yuloh could also turn WB into a yawl, also it will be interesting to check out the sweeps health underneath the Kevlar collar.
    I have a surf boat oar that I bought from Jeff but when my friend was looking for something to make his yuloh out of, I gave him the flag pole. If he'd known I had the oar, he probably would have wanted that but I wouldn't have given it to him . I want to use it in the house. Anyway, he's having plenty of fun making his yuloh ....... I expect.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out Gary . Rather than just being a tourist I should have paid more attention to the technique employed when we where being yuloh'd around in Halong Bay Vietnam.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 10-21-2016 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Just wondering - what exactly would be the difference?

I have experimented with a few yulohs - and all I would do to a sweep would be to put a '' handle'' (about 18'' or a bit more long) on it ,,,,, maybe profile the blade a bit

{or have I missed an in joke?}

Quote Originally Posted by Frank! View Post
    Just wondering - what exactly would be the difference?

I have experimented with a few yulohs - and all I would do to a sweep would be to put a '' handle'' (about 18'' or a bit more long) on it ,,,,, maybe profile the blade a bit

{or have I missed an in joke?}
    The joke you probably missed is me assuming a yuloh
    was a foreign term for a sculling oar .

It would be good to have a yuloh expert come onboard and give us the good oil on shapes of oars , size of bend and approximate length needed for a 25 footer, since the whole business seem just too shrouded for a factile learner like myself.

The joke .... to have a yuloh expert learner like myself.
    the only "expert" I would dare point to (apart from those who have been doing it for generations, but unfortunately do not seem to frequent the web) would be a bloke in Japan who got 12kts. with one (!)

I have only managed 2 1/2 kts. - but that was all I got with the oars anyway on my TS 16 - so maybe not too shabby.

lessons I think I have learnt:

- blade area is your friend - maybe size in general - my biggest and most successful performer was abt. 16' OA with an old (wooden - what else?) ironing board for a blade. yes it was cumbersome.

- I don't bother with a bend or crank - the same effect can be achieved with the "Handle".

- waves caused me problems when the boat pitched - so I am moving from the "Falling Leaf" action to the "Fishtail" style.

I have not managed to implement a rope hold-down system yet. this is where I expect to gain efficiency as I would hope to spend less concentration and energy in controlling the (****) thing, and more on just shoving it from side to side (I gather on the big Chinese yulohs they have one bloke on the rope (presumably with good timing doing clever things with phasing the slack) and 6+ blokes throwing their full weight enthuastically side to side (the quote mentioned they ended up almost horizontal on the deck!).

there, that's about all I know.

regards,

frank

Thanks Frank judging from your test runs I hope the the surf boat steering sweep should work just fine .
    Once I design a female row lock holder which will be fixed to my stout main sheet travelertrack , making it adjustable although running somewhat of the centreline due to rudder location.

Regarding the problems encountered with waves the stainless collar I was given has a spring on the bottom of the oar lock stud that is designed to ease those wave shock loads while operating.

[IMG]image[/IMG]Here is the

The oar lock.

My dad carries a sculling oar on his 23 footer. It's doable. But really only for enthusiasts who want to prove that it's doable.

hi Tom,

that closed oarlock will help - my oar tended to jump off the pin.

waves were more of a problem for the trad. yuloh because its rest / neutral position was blade flat - across the direction of progress. the fishtail in neutral or transitioning between strokes became like a rudder.

btw. I forgot to mention that I thought the flex in the shaft of my big yuloh (tradl. type) helped - some sort of energy recovery between strokes thing .....

rgds,

frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank! View Post
    hi Tom,

that closed oarlock will help - my oar tended to jump off the pin.

btw. I forgot to mention that I thought the flex in the shaft of my big yuloh (tradl. type) helped - some sort of energy recovery between strokes thing .....

rgds,

frank
    Thats good to know , now that I have located the stress fracture I'll have to work out how to strip that Kevlar collar. Somehow my Mikita plane does not seem the right tool for the job. This should also give the scull some additional flexibility .
    Since I will be scarfing the shaft just wondering wether to keep it straight or add some bend

Phil as this project is still evolving other uses for the scull are emerging such as an emergency rudder, which if required one would be rather gratefull to have a spare.

"{ - I don't bother with a bend or crank - the same effect can be achieved with the "Handle". }"

and I reckon you will need a handle in any case

it is easier to trim a handle than alter a bend

also , some (most?) trad yulohs have TWO bends - a sort of "S" shape - so I reckon just leave it straight for now

g'luck

frank

What'll store best on the boat, straight or bent? Cou;d be a consideration.

I wonder if 16 grit sandpaper on an angle grinder would be the go to strip Kevlar off?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I wonder if 16 grit sandpaper on an angle grinder would be the go to strip Kevlar off?
    That would be gravelpaper wouldn't it?

John Welsford

Would some judiciously applied heat soften the resin once you had a seam opened up...enough that you could peel it off in a strip?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Would some judiciously applied heat soften the resin once you had a seam opened up...enough that you could peel it off in a strip?
    It certainly will if glued on with epoxy. If it's polyester then just cut through it and it'll peel off with a bit of force. The heat gun won't work as well with polyester but the polyester won't have adhered to the wood as well.

Rick

Just tried the grinder with 40 grit it works if slowly and dusty, now that a seam has been opened I might try some heat.

[IMG]photo upload sites[/IMG]

Storage solutions for a small wee cruising craft , just finished installing a small Australian red cedar chart table.
    Since WB is on a mooring all work is carried out with hand tools and the workbench tends to be rather unorthodox.

[IMG]upload image online[/IMG]This one worked well for ripping.

I always thought cutting a 715 x550 hole in WB deck was going to be easy,somehow I was unprepared for the time wasted in attempting to lay out this opening.
    First I enlisted a stringline from the centre of the mast to the centre of my double ender, when that did not look right I tried measurements which just made things worse. After countless trips fore and aft then from starboard to port with my tape being thankfully I was not attempting this on a 45 footer and getting of WB and back on the boat numerous more times I finally gave up and just eye balled it.

[IMG]upload a gif[/IMG]

and it looks as if it's turned out pretty well Tom !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Thanks Peter you are quite right of course, I must remind myself not to lapse back into perfectionism in the near future.

I was also amazed by the superior grade of plywood available in this country 40 years ago,this stuff actually looks like it has real chunks of timber imbedded in the laminates. Not sure what timber was used any ideas?

Coach wood was the usual IIRC.
    Grateful Dead

Looks great! When's the skylight go on?

This is Wee Barkie looking somewhat more yachty with her new skylight in preparation for the Hobart WBF.

[IMG]host images[/IMG]

What sort of sea state is Wee Barkies Favorite?... Rough, Rough

Are you fitting any kind of dodger Tom?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    ROFL copter

Re Doger : We are trying to fit a small one started previously , before I installed the hatch cover . I can assure you my long suffering Nellie is absolutely delighted by that prospect.

While it will not provide much shelter it will keep the companion way entrance dry but most important will also be a storage area for foul weather gear and boots.

It would be nice to make it big enough to tuck yourself away under in case of rain on your trip south. Even if you were to rig up a hoop and ran a clear screen between the hoop and the cabin, it would form a collapsible screen. If you run two hoops, you can put some canvas between the hoops for sun protection. It would be great to get this done before your trip. I extended Masina's dodger by just a tiny amount a couple of years ago and I'm so glad I did it. Just that little amount of shade makes a huge difference, especially when you're at sea in the sun. As you know, of course!

Rick

I hear what your saying Rick unfortunately where WB cabin ends there is really no place to rest your back against the bulkhead or shelter under a dodger due to engine controls gauges and starter box .
    Also since I am just collecting materials for a boom crutch, I may be able to run a small awning to that. I like your hoop idea and might just be able to incorporate that into the overall design.

FurthermoreI tend to get lazy when running the boat short handed so hopefully the vane and the auto pilot will be left to face the elements most days.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 11-09-2016 at 12:45 AM.

Just remember that for most of the time, you will need to be keeping watch. There are a lot of fast ships and fishing boats. Maybe some sort of cover so you can stand or sit in the companionway to keep watch?

Rick

This brings up crewing. Will you be single handing? or will you have a crew? What is the marine traffic like there....say 100 odd miles out?

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    This brings up crewing. Will you be single handing? or will you have a crew? What is the marine traffic like there....say 100 odd miles out?
    Yes crew SWMBO has insisted I am to have crew with me throughout my cruise. From past experience I usually managed to find someone or go solo ,granted back then they generally looked good in a bikini.

From my limited experience aboard a number of cruise ships the majority of shipping traffic along that stretch of our East coast runs within 10 to 50 nm offshore .

Will probably hug the coast since I will be sailing south at the start of our cyclone season . Incidentally when sailing the US West coast some of the worst weather was experienced in around the continental shelf so much for advice from old timers.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 11-09-2016 at 02:55 PM.

Everything I ever read, and confirmed by my own experiences. After leaving Cape Flattery get at least 100 nm out with all possible speed before heading south. That is beyond the continental shelf....and yes you will get bigger seas on the shelf.....The other alternative is coasting down close in, ducking into every stop along the way, and not going out if there is any real wind/sea forecast.

Your plan to hop along the shore is wisest, though a little more work IMHO during cyclone season.

There's a significant S setting current that usually runs from around 2 - 4 knots down the east coast of Australia. It remains quite close to the coast so there's significant advantage to staying close when going south. The ships are generally about 20 miles out.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    Everything I ever read, and confirmed by my own experiences. After leaving Cape Flattery get at least 100 nm out with all possible speed before heading south. That is beyond the continental shelf....and yes you will get bigger seas on the shelf.....The other alternative is coasting down close in, ducking into every stop along the way, and not going out if there is any real wind/sea forecast.

Your plan to hop along the shore is wisest, though a little more work IMHO during cyclone season.
    I am glad going wide down the West coast worked out well for you John.

While that may have become recognised as the way to go in an era of more traditional heavier vessels before the advent of pin point electronic navigation I would not have missed sailing close to the West Coast.
    Stopping in coastal towns such as Astoria ,where we incidentally arrived with several good sized salmon caught on Tuna gear in around the first week of September.

I read a Cruising Helmsman article once about a yacht that was rolled and dismasted by really unexpected ''standing waves'' over a sea mount off Coffs ? A danger of rapidly shallowing water.

Grateful Dead

The worst conditions I ever saw was on a coastal shelf.....We were near Sable Island off Nova Scotia. Easterly Winds exceeded 80 knots sustained for about 12 hours. Seas averaged ~12 metres/40 ft. but very steep and frequently breaking at the top. I have seen a few larger waves but not as steep or dangerous.

If you have lots of bolt holes (places of refuge) available to duck into as you move down the coast, you should not have difficulties....should be a good cruise.

[QUOTE=PeterSibley;5061420]I read a Cruising Helmsman article once about a yacht that was rolled and dismasted by really unexpected ''standing waves'' over a sea mount off Coffs ? A danger of rapidly shallowing water.

You raised an interesting point Peter. When plotting my course on my IPad I did notice several shoals and I was careful to stay well away from these. Also may try to plot a great circle route , mind you not so sure if my Navonics program has those capabilities.

If the swell is big enough for those 'shallow' spots to become significant, then my advice would be to delay the trip! They're just not very shallow. On the other hand, plan your trip over to Tasmania carefully as there is very significant overfall off the east side of Bass Strait. You might consider going across Bass Strait rather than the more direct route as this is not affected by the overfall.

Rick

Underwater pinnacles might have been a better descriptive term to use on my part.
    While passagmaking over top or in the vicinity a prudent navigator takes note and the senses tend to be more alert .Having sailed over many of these areas in normal trade wind conditions I have not observed significant changes in wave structure.

I know very little about approaching Tassie, although I was under the impression sailing East or West of Flinders Is would be more dependant on the winds expected or encountered when in the vicinity of the Sister Is.

The seas I was describing in post #142 were something like 75 to 100 fathoms IIRC. It was 33 years ago and I do not have charts of that area to check. With deep water swells rolling up on the shelf the wave energy goes pretty deep. Roger Taylor of Ming Ming fame discusses trying to keep away from shelf shallow areas as bad weather approaches on his arctic passages.

Underwater pinnacles might have been a better descriptive term to use on my part.
    While passagmaking over top or in the vicinity a prudent navigator takes note and the senses tend to be more alert .Having sailed over many of these areas in normal trade wind conditions I have not observed significant changes in wave structure.

I know very little about approaching Tassie, although I was under the impression sailing East or West of Flinders Is would be more dependant on the winds expected or encountered when in the vicinity of the Sister Is.
    Just avoid the period between Boxing Day and New Years. Seems to be a bit rough around then. When we sailed Balia down a few years ago I think we were blithely unaware of the stuff Ricj mentions. Had a lovely trip, gentle weather. Coming up to Adelaide we just went around the corner of Tassie into Bass Straight. Had a bit of wind against tide through there but it was nothing of concern. I'd say unless it's really blowing it's bits off you would be fine. If it's 30 knots or something daft then some caution would be in order.

Hi tom, my boat is in a marina now and I have a free mooring in Hobart if you want to use it while you are here. PM me if you're interested.

Just avoid the period between Boxing Day and New Years. Seems to be a bit rough around then. When we sailed Balia down a few years ago I think we were blithely unaware of the stuff Ricj mentions. Had a lovely trip, gentle weather. Coming up to Adelaide we just went around the corner of Tassie into Bass Straight. Had a bit of wind against tide through there but it was nothing of concern. I'd say unless it's really blowing it's bits off you would be fine. If it's 30 knots or something daft then some caution would be in order.
    You wouldn't get the influence of the overfall, the way you came. Bass St is a 50m deep platform with Flinders at its eastern side and King Is at the western side. Just east of Flinders, quite a few miles, the platform ends and the deep water of the Tasman begins. When the tide runs out, it creates great turbulence east of Flinders. If this is running out against a big S or E wind and swell, then large breaking waves can occur. The Sydney to Hobart fleet crosses this area. It's not strictly in Bass Strait at all but, rather, just to the east. The Sydney to Hobart fleet is always reported as crossing Bass Strait but actually rarely enters the strait at all.

Have a look on Google Earth. The platform across Bass Strait is very obvious.

I'm not suggesting that Tom should not go that way. I'm suggesting that I wouldn't go that way if the right conditions for serious turbulence coincided with my trip. The longer run through the strait is safer and, in my opinion, more interesting, but the direct route, east of Flinders, is certainly quicker.

Rick

Agreed. I guess we'd have crossed the shelf on the way down from Sydney, we just did a straight line from Australia to Tasmania. But absent storms, not an issue. If storms are coming, stop in Eden or one of the islands.