Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182728

Thread: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

M
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Bum's Bay...suitably named?
    Guess I had that coming .
    At least Iím not the guy that stopped by WB early Friday morning with a 3/4 bottle of Buddy heading for breakfast on a friends boat.

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Blowing a very cold south westerly, gusting to gale force with squalls and hail down here…...
    I feel for you guys down there and also finally worked out why Phil is baking all that bread.

Yes it has been cool and I was feeling it on the boat at night .But at least we are not having to chain up our tires, or scrape the frost of the deck.

Wee Barkie had a ripper of a sail on Thursday from bums bay to the Tweed with moderate NE winds .
    I managed to break all previous trip records cruising up the river in well under three hours.The Gaff Rig at this point exceeded all my expectations with the knotmeter in uncharted territory producing regular 7s and touching on 8 knots once or twice.
    Another first was also accomplished when I was able to sail across the bar and up the river unassisted something I had consistently failed at .

32C2E1D3-863F-4C5F-8FE5-FF333DA3669C.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Wee Barkie had a ripper of a sail on Thursday from bums bay to the Tweed with moderate NE winds .
    I managed to break all previous trip records cruising up the river in well under three hours.The Gaff Rig at this point exceeded all my expectations with the knotmeter in uncharted territory producing regular 7s and touching on 8 knots once or twice.
    Another first was also accomplished when I was able to sail across the bar and up the river unassisted something I had consistently failed at .

32C2E1D3-863F-4C5F-8FE5-FF333DA3669C.jpg
    That's impressive Tom. I nearly crossed the bar under sail alone one time but miss judged the southerly set and had head up into the wind under power unfortunately.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Last time I tried to cross the bar the woman on the other side told me to sit back down or she wouldn't serve me any more drinks.

Thanks Gary there was some luck involve by arriving early due to my fast trip with the tide still ebbing.
    My problem with trying to sail all the way past Twin Towns in the past has been lack of wind combined with a flooding tide which cause WB to loose steerage.
    I also narrowly missed out sailing onto my mooring due to several overrides on my staysail furler which I was unable to furl in order to control my final approach speed.

Go the Gaff