Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Still fly fishing? Sorry Tom, we'll get back to you eventually.
    Yep, season's just started - and doing a lot of hiking while I have the opportunity, contract’s been extended to end of June 2020 but have had enough so am planning on heading home end of January (if they don’t get rid of me sooner), just enough time to save a few more $$$ to spend a few months in the UK mid next year.
    Last edited by Larks; 10-11-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Thanks not bad considering I managed to use up a lot of scrappy leftovers.

What surprised me was the final cost which with a rough estimate will be around $140. Around $110 spent for epoxy , glue, cloth and primer paint.
    worthy of a thread itself - something along the lines of: Best VFM (value for money) boat ever.....????
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    worthy of a thread itself - something along the lines of: Best VFM (value for money) boat ever.....????
    Thanks for that vote of confidence however some of the plywood may be inferiority. Also looking at last weeks gumtree ads there is a used Nutshell dinghy selling for a mere 240 dollars up on the Sunshine Coast . while seeing such a good dinghy for such a good price may be rare it just goes to show .

$240, wow.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Catching up.
    I vote that sweet dinghy gets called 5 toots.

Not that it's a democracy call or anything.

Buy the Nutshell.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Catching up.
    I vote that sweet dinghy gets called 5 toots.

Not that it's a democracy call or anything.
    Toot sounds interesting or I might go as high as two toots, while leaving the occasional cynic to starboard.

All kidding aside I am laying down a very light covering of cloth on the outside of the hull, just to make sure it all stays together and lasts a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Buy the Nutshell.

Regrettably I will have to pass on that one, since it would probably have to be named divorce proceedings.

Is it still for sale?

Rick

I had a quick look and could not find it I imagine it went fast. I would have picked it up myself if located closer.

First try at fiberglassing a boat actually things went reasonably smooth.I will be lucky to have enough hardener for the keel though. Looks like I mix my batches too hot .

Last edited by auscruisertom; 01-24-2020 at 07:25 PM.

Laminated the keel on and faired the last fiberglassed side done with several scrappy pieces of cloth.

C84B0C5E-80BC-4CDC-98EE-121BB872DCE8.jpg

Bashing my way up to Southport WB sailing rather sluggish with a dirty bottom ,and we must be pushing a lot of currant.

First outing for the recently build bitsa dinghy, fits on the foredeck and rows nicely.

I had a quick look and could not find it I imagine it went fast. I would have picked it up myself if located closer.

First try at fiberglassing a boat actually things went reasonably smooth.I will be lucky to have enough hardener for the keel though. Looks like I mix my batches too hot .
    I often have a fair bit of one or the other left over.

What resin are you using?

Rick

Finally Made the Southport seaway in just over 5 hours ,then motor sailed up to Tipplers located on South Stradbroke Is, catching some big gusts, here is WB heeling and taking some occasional water over the raised deck.

Went for a short walk at Tipplers until the swarms of mosquitoes chased me back to the boat.

0771AC57-4902-4F38-BF10-EF8F290266EA.jpg

A little fishing and crabbing without success found us doing some fast sailing back to Southport.

9F8A8221-6227-440A-B69F-65877FF1AF5E.jpg

DB4A584A-985F-4AF0-A814-6ADB35792016.jpgInteresting looking Gaff rigged Schooner, possibly saw her in Hawaii.

Setting sail has always represented more than just the destination, a big part has always been meeting new people combined with exiting experiences such destinations can provide.
    Anchoring near SeaWorld at bums bay highlighted that once more meeting up with Mike Smith on Edythe an immaculately kept H28 build in Auckland that Mike has been sailing for 40 years.

Later that night night turned to day and we found ourselves centrepieces in the Aquaman movie set.

Looks great Tom!

Rick

After our agonisingly slow trip North Wee Barkie’s return trip to Tweed was completed in record time of two and a half hours averaging just over 6 kn.
    Arriving early at the Tweed bar which was looking extremely rowdy I quickly threw a reef in the main closed the hatches and decided to run the gauntlet of breaking waves.
    Apply full throttle we got caught by several breaking waves entering the breakwater which WB handled in true Colin Archer style running straight and true surfing in faster than she has ever gone ,the rudder vibrating with the exhilarating burst of speed.
    Where was the go pro when It was needed.
    Looking back at the bar once safely inside.

61869D6E-AF47-464F-A719-231151D23968.jpg

Well done Tom!

Rick

Thanks Rick.
    Interesting to note the waves where running at an angle across the bar and despite not being able to take them square on to the stern due to the close proximity of the Southern rock wall ,WB never showed any indication of a potential broach. The only incident occurred when the cockpit shipped a hundred litres or so of ocean not sure where that came from.

Bit ordinary out today, though there were a few steep ones despite the flood tide. Nothing big on the way back in though.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Thanks Rick.
    Interesting to note the waves where running at an angle across the bar and despite not being able to take them square on to the stern due to the close proximity of the Southern rock wall ,WB never showed any indication of a potential broach. The only incident occurred when the cockpit shipped a hundred litres or so of ocean not sure where that came from.
    It probably came from the ocean

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    It probably came from the ocean

Rick
    Rightly so most likely some entered through the port scupper while the bulk came across the port railing as WB surfed of the breaker.
    WB handled the conditions fantastically and certainly did far better than my old Contessa 32 that was a bit of a nightmare regularly broaching in steeper offshore waves and once even when entering Lono Barge Harbour on Molokai Is getting caught by a small breaking sea during Kona wind conditions.
    And thinking back to the Molokai incident I ended up saturated as did the inside of the boat due to the open companionway.

I don't like bars

I don't like bars

I think that anyone crossing bars in a sailing vessel would be agreeable with that statement.
    I always cross with some sail up and the anchor ready, and in rowdy conditions I close the hatches including portholes and will be clipped onto cockpit lifelines with my sailing knife at the ready as a precaution, since I find the modern harness caribeeners very difficult to unclip .

To be honest despite these precautions I do take chances regularly by paying very little attention to crossing at slack water.
    I probably believe my many years of tackling bars including more notorious ones such as the Columbia bar combined with extensive local knowledge and a very seaworthy vessel will see me cross safely.

Undoubtedly my single biggest concern would be engine failure.

After going out over our Columbia River bar in "rowdy" conditions once I've respected the slack water rule. Something about seeing 20'+ waves thin enough to see through that are sucking sand up out of the 50' dredged channel gave me the permanent willies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    After going out over our Columbia River bar in "rowdy" conditions once I've respected the slack water rule. Something about seeing 20'+ waves thin enough to see through that are sucking sand up out of the 50' dredged channel gave me the permanent willies.
    I hear what you’re saying Hugh the Columbia bar with its massive outflow and frequent Southern exposure is not one to become complacent on. Then again your coastline has a multitude of lesser known bars and harbours that are dangerous ,given the right swell and wind conditions, some of which also don’t have rescue Facilities .

We are fortunate in Australia to have our VMR rescue services even on most of our small local bars that are able to lend a hand to rescue or tow when require.

I am really impressed with your guy's tales of the VMR teams! Last time we were there we got up to Ballina, but didn't get out to see the bar. Did get to see the naval Museum, though! Really enjoyed that!

I don't like bars

The chocolate ones are good.

WB is heeled around 40 degrees waiting for the tide to come after attempting to pull the old worn out Hydraline feathering prop.
    I came close but no cigar ,ah well on to blan B which will involve pulling the engine enough to slide the shaft back in order to pull the prop. Rather than tempting fate I will wait for the next haul out to tackle that job.