Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152425

Thread: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Luckily I had a bag to shove this big Mud crab into since I had one previous bad experience with another big muddy, which unlike the Dungeness crabs in the PNW are able to reach behind their tail end and latch onto fingers.

Then I had to split this big fellow apart in order to fit into my pot.

[IMG]mobil gas station nyc[/IMG]

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

After several glasses of some wonderfull Shiraz while enjoying the sunset I spent a peaceful night in this enchanted anchorage silhouetted by the partial moon and the beckoning lights of Brisbane towards the West.

[IMG][/IMG]

Looking great Tom!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    That doesnt sound right. Epoxy is very different from polyester. With epoxy the chemical mix is very precise. Theres 5 bits of resin all looking for 1 bit of hardener, and they latch together, like theres 5 little docking stations on each bit of hardener, and one on each bit of resin. Too much hardener just leaves a bunch of hardener bits with nothing to latch onto. or only 4 resin friends instead of 5. With polyester the hardener is a catalyst, the more you add the faster the reaction, and the more heat. Epoxy does heat up of course, but its most noticeable in hot weather, or in a narrow, deep container, the centre mass heats up and its hard for the heat to escape. A shallow broad container is much better. More hardener in epoxy doesnt make more heat or a faster cure.
    Whatever it was that I did, it was wrong.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    After several glasses of some wonderfull Shiraz while enjoying the sunset I spent a peaceful night in this enchanted anchorage silhouetted by the partial moon and the beckoning lights of Brisbane towards the West.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Be a good Cruising Helmsman cover. They do have a prize for best photo...just saying.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Looking great Tom!

Rick
    Thanks .Enjoyed a leisurely sail under full main and staysail even managing to catch up to 46 -48 foot ketch under full sail that shared the previous nights anchorage.
    This outsailing larger vessels seems to be a more frequent occurrence and my only explanation is that these long term cruising boats are being loaded with a lot of modern junk from tvs to washing machines ect.

This is what happens when you take your eyes of the leads in the very narrow channel at Cabbage creek, one of the Vintage Regatta entrants on the sand bank, close to where several people where fishing on the edge of the channel.

He later collided very heavily with WB and put her under tremendous stress squashing her against the jetty with his 8 ton Fastnest race winner vessel. The current was running at two knots in the channel and you just don’t cut into your slip without having cleared the other vessels stern. Initially I thought he might have caused us rudder damage but my haul out yesterday revealed all was well including having a brief inspection of WBs aft end framing.

Looking back onto the channel leading into Shorncliff with Moreton Bay in the background.
    [IMG][/IMG]

A closer shot of this go fast Classic and things that go bang at night.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Whatever it was that I did, it was wrong.
    I did similar to you, lost count of how many "pumps" I'd done, and made a brew with too much hardener. It got very hot quite fast, and got put outside rather than on the boat. It was bubbling at the end, as the five bits of hardener all started fighting over one bit of resin. A shallow mixing tray helps disipate heat, if you have to make up more than a cupful.
    Phil, no gloves , that's nuts!!

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    I did similar to you, lost count of how many "pumps" I'd done, and made a brew with too much hardener. It got very hot quite fast, and got put outside rather than on the boat. It was bubbling at the end, as the five bits of hardener all started fighting over one bit of resin. A shallow mixing tray helps disipate heat, if you have to make up more than a cupful.

Pete
    Ha Ha When the epoxy starts smoking it’s high time to convoke the bloke’s or it may be too late to Decoke.!

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post

Pete
    I found I reacted badly to WEST on my skin, something Botecote never does to me.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Conditions for the four race series where light ,with glorious sunshine and warm temperatures.
    Pictured below is a Hereshoff Roziante that we only managed to beat to a weather mark once during the races.

[IMG][/IMG]

WB did well placing third in the series despite the light conditions and short spinnaker courses, and rusty crew launches.

In fact I had packed the spinnaker away after the first day of racing but when our last race presented a longer run I set it all up again and achieved a flawless launch right at the mark, with only Simon and myself sailing that day.

[IMG][/IMG]

Simon in the foreground with the crew being utilised to heel the boat in order to gain an advantage.[IMG]
    [/IMG]

Good job

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Yes and congrats again!

What's the Hempel prize, Tom?

Rick

Yes and congrats again!

What's the Hempel prize, Tom?

Rick
    Thanks Rick
    One litre of vivid white and some thinners both of which will be used in next years haul out.

Following the last race Sunday afternoon I departed leaving Simon behind for the presentation.
    Motor sailed with light Easterlies, and just like last year a container ship decided to leave the port of Brisbane as I approached the channel. This time I stood my ground and crossed one hundred meters in front of them, then anchored around 2015 at the Northern end of Macleay Is,
    Upped the anchor 1015 motor sailed down the Broadwater with the tides ,which reverse their flow near Tipplers enabling
    tide conscious boaters to have roughly a 10 hour tide free run if the timing works out .

At 1500 hours I entered the Southport seaway which was rather rowdy with huge outflow tide combined with several high speed charter boats throwing up additional waves.

Then WB and I enjoyed one of the best bar to bar sails we have had in years with just one metre of ground swell and ENE to 10 kn we crossed the Tweed bar at 1930.

On track with her haul out date Tuesday .

100 metres in front of the stand on vessel! That's insanity right there. Did she give you the 5 toots?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    100 metres in front of the stand on vessel! That's insanity right there. Did she give you the 5 toots?
    I hear what you’re saying Phil, however it sounds worse than what it is.

The rhumb line from Cabbage creek to Mud Island passes approximately 700m from the mouth of the Brisbane harbour, which generally means that you can spot a vessel once it departs the river and clears all the background lights.
    Since tha vessels are under speed limit restrictions in the river and entering a relatively narrow channel under instruction of a pilot they are only at half speed.
    Hey sorry no toots.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    The blown up shed story.

A mold had been prepared and the massive pot had been filled with the stinking components of resin and the pressure lid had been screwed down ready for the job. Then the phone had rung

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had no idea what you were talking about, until I remembered your "chopper gun" explanation earlier. So the chopped fiber and resin is pressurized? I never knew how they worked, though I've seen many standing around in boat factories here and there

Interior fit out of WB shortened redesigned Nutshell Pram is finally underway. Sticking to my theme of using leftovers and scraps available I managed to salvage some thwarts out of some rough sawn Australian Red Cedar.
    While the thwarts may not be furniture grade and have been attacked by Lichty borers the will serve their purpose and look just fine with a coat of varnish.

[IMG][/IMG]

Well you've overtaken my Nutshell build.

Red cedar is not very strong Tom. Do you think it'll be okay for thwarts, especially with borer damage? We don't want to see a bent coxic!

Rick

Red cedar is not very strong Tom. Do you think it'll be okay for thwarts, especially with borer damage? We don't want to see a bent coxic!

Rick
    Nah should be right I already tried them out on the Tammie even though I laminated some thin silver ash sections on the ends to stiffen and protect the soft ARC.

Regarding my already bent coxic and adjoining fused vertebrae they are undergoing intense massage therapy in Thailand at the moment.