Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

I took a hollow macaroni mast and converted it to a gaff mast. It had blocking at the spreaders and heel and head but otherwise no. No problemo.

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I took a hollow macaroni mast and converted it to a gaff mast. It had blocking at the spreaders and heel and head but otherwise no. No problemo.
    I didn't know you could get macaroni that big.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Wee Barkie snugged up to Redwing just as a precaution as X Cyclone Linda was developing.
    Garry watch out for W B anchor chain within your backing radius.[IMG][/IMG]
    No worries im not going anywhere just yet. I asked to ask you to stow your dink on board.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I didn't know you could get macaroni that big.
    I would be satisfied finding a 28’ macaroni.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    I would be satisfied finding a 28’ macaroni.
    Would that make the boat go pasta?
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

A friend of mine just pulled his aluminium tree trunk out of his 50 ft 1960's classic and replaced it with a 4 spreader noodle. So not only does he have a rig evocative of early bermudan macaroni rigging, it has the scantlings of a stick of spaghetti as well.
    Might as well just get the Dean Martin out and put Amore on loop.

One local hollow wood mast fell apart being lifted out of the boat and another had ongoing prolems until he sawed it apart lengthways and put a drain hole through the reinforcing blocks. I dont think wood likes enclosed spaces.
    the invisible man........

A friend of mine just pulled his aluminium tree trunk out of his 50 ft 1960's classic and replaced it with a 4 spreader noodle. So not only does he have a rig evocative of early bermudan macaroni rigging, it has the scantlings of a stick of spaghetti as well.
    Might as well just get the Dean Martin out and put Amore on loop.
    Could he send his old mast over here?

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Would that make the boat go pasta?
    The saucepan salesman would definitely go pasta. Lasta time he linguined to ponda he tooka ona looka at the 28' macaroni and went into a spirali!

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    The saucepan salesman would definitely go pasta. Lasta time he linguined to ponda he tooka ona looka at the 28' macaroni and went into a spirali!

Oh fettuccine! That's the lasagne time I try to puttanesca pun inna post on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Oh, mama mia!

Ricardo

Oh, mama mia!

Ricardo
    That is what I said when I found my 1 ton mooring block missing ,of the tidal rocks where It was placed by the crane truck. Since we have not had any seismic activity that only leaves leveraged vandalism or else a boat with a large motor.
    Since the water adjacent to the rocks is about 2m deep I just hope it has not landed upside down on top of the 3 m of chain.

Oh dear.

Good grief!

Rick

Maybe the council thought some bugger had dumped it, and came and did a clean up?

Must be a good council to get onto it so quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paperback E-book

Diving down I found the block this morning about 3m from its original location on its side with only a small section of chain caught underneath.
    Just hope it doesn’t go floating of every time we get a really high tide.

If it floats that well, you might consider a different mooring block.

Rick

If it floats that well, you might consider a different mooring block.

Rick
    Then again WB won’t have any trouble picking it up and prove a few gloomy onlookers wrong.

There is that! A very fine way to shut the knockers up!

Rick

Annyhow moving right along now that the block is actually where I first intended it to be I am reasonably confident of picking it up using WB’s bow roller.
    Also I just received a big vote of confidence from my old friend Barry Craft who has acomplished some amazing feats both in building a 55 footer and sailing it around more than once.

I think it's risky but if you're going to do it, be careful and I hope it goes well!

Rick

Hanging a ton or so off the bow roller ...I doubt it will lift it....rather pull the bow under. I'd place a large plank across the deck amid-ship, nicely blocked to spread the support on the deck, and run a sling across around the boat. Once in place you cut the rope sling and drop it.
    Good luck

I know a fisherman who tried to lift his mooring block with his winch and pulled the transom off the boat. Not good.

Floating mooring blocks are unusual. But I'm with you, it should all work out just fine. Bring lots of beer.

Long as the prop stays in the water...........

That was my thought, I meant to ask Tom about that the other day when we were having a chat.

As has been suggested previously the cost associated with that is just more beer.
    Plus I will also load up the water tanks for some extra ballast.

I have only seen the prop come out of the water once on a bar crossing at Morrow Bay, unfortunately a fisherman returning shortly afterwards lost his live that day.

Ok here is the prototype mooring lift I just threw together with the 650 kilo load being shared with Wee Barkie. The idea being once lifted using two ropes just releasing them slowly using 1+ friction wraps . Plan B may be gust to drag the mooring block.

[IMG][/IMG]

A decent sized snap shackle would be the way I'd go with a long pull cord release.

I think I'd just have a loop around a fairly high link on the ground chain and cut the rope when you're at the site. Have you worked out what lift you'll get with those two drums Tom? I'd use enough drums to lift the mooring and then just tow it to the site. I think that's a whole lot easier and safer than lifting the mooring with WB.

Rick

Those 2 drums provide 400 kg of lift .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Mission accomplished Wee Barkie has located her new mooring.

I was up at 6.00 am this morning securing the barrels to the mooring and found the mooring block flipped over into the upright position 90 minutes later.
    With Simons arrival at 8.30 we positioned WB anchoring stern to as close to where we intended dropping the mooring block. I simply powered up to the block once anchored and ran our secondary lift line straight to the windlass and started cranking, shortly we where underway swinging on anchor close to our intended marker. Setting out another anchor we found ourselves spot on . Since by now the Southerly was up and the current ripping through the anchorage the drums became unstable and flipped up mainly because the alignment on our windlass rope was way of centre due to the raft ending up starboard of the dolphin striker.
    WB handled the full weight just heeling 5 degrees to starboard due to the offset roller location as the drums floated of.

Since I had the 24 mm chain buoyed It was relatively easy to attach the 6 m of 13 mm mooring chain.

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Above Simon tending the stern anchor.

Just as we where getting ready to lower the lines the barrels popped out of the framework.

[IMG][/IMG]