Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12312 ... LastLast

Thread: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Mine is like post #34, though I am not sure I could get out through it without leaving body parts behind...

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

[QUOTE=Wooden Boat Fittings;4974287]Tom, re the skylight. Can you rebuild it to follow Maurice Griffith's pattern? He guaranteed this would be waterproof unless actually submerged --

(And preferably have it hinged forward as long as there's room to get out.)[/QUOTE

Thanks Mike that looks great, however my rapidly dwindling supply of NG Rosewood wont go that far.

I will try my best not to submerge the one I'll be building ,likewise using the skylight as an escape hatch.

Phil this is the skylight out of Classic Yachts . I will be building with some additional fiddles underneath the frame that will help to deflect runoff . Finally I will ask Nellie to sew a cover
    Aplogies unable to download due to computer problems again.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 08-11-2016 at 12:42 AM.

My dad's boat has the Maurice Griffith hatch. It works. I wouldn't call it a skylight though. Balia has a skylight. It works as long as it's buttoned down tight.

How about with a 20mm poly carbonate top ? Then it's a sky light .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

If you want a proper 'skylight', ask Ian about Grantala's -- he's done it very well.

Hang about and I'll see if I can find a picture.

Alternatively --
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    How about with a 20mm poly carbonate top ? Then it's a sky light .
    Make the hatch with a polycarbonate insert as Pete says -- then you have a skylight.

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    If you want a proper 'skylight', ask Ian about Grantala's -- he's done it very well.

Hang about and I'll see if I can find a picture.

Alternatively --

Make the hatch with a polycarbonate insert as Pete says -- then you have a skylight.

Mike
    Thanks Mike I had not considered using polycarbonate , would UV cause problems down the track?

Finally managed to download the first stage of my skylight.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 10-16-2017 at 09:39 PM.

Possibly but I won't give any advice ! Laminated glass would be good too.
    Grateful Dead

Clear corrugated roofing for pergolas and the like is polycarb, so there's evidently a UV stable variant of the stuff if it isn't all UV stable. I've seen 20 year old polycarbonate roofing that's still clear.

Glass won't scratch nearly as easily as polycarbonate.

That said... I'd use glass if it were me. I prefer glass to look through. I don't know why.

Looks great Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Looks great Tom.
    @nd that, nice bit of joinery there.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Here we are. I think these are of Grantala's skylight. A lovely piece of work anyway. I think it's essentially the same design as the first of the two sketches.

Note the baffle in the second sketch, to shut off air flow if required.

Some ideas, anyway.

Mike

Thanks for the picture of Grantala's gorgeous skylight. Gives me the idea of adding an additional fiddle on the inside of the box, with a complementing routered grove in the bottom of the window frame .

The drawings are in "How to Build a Wooden Boat" MacIntosh , published by Wooden Boat. I recommend you buy yourself a copy Tom, it's a very useful text for the owner of a carvel boat.

http://www.woodenboatstore.com/produ...-a-wooden-boat

or secondhand http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Bo...6n%3D100121503
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    Here we are. I think these are of Grantala's skylight. A lovely piece of work anyway. I think it's essentially the same design as the first of the two sketches.

Note the baffle in the second sketch, to shut off air flow if required.

Some ideas, anyway.

Mike
    Very nice.... no dammit, it makes me feel inferior 'cause I can't do that sort of stuff even in my dreams. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Very nice.... no dammit, it makes me feel inferior 'cause I can't do that sort of stuff even in my dreams. :-(
    Don't feel bad Chris, you wont have to cut a large hole in a perfectly good deck , even in your dreams.

Wee Barkie's crew enjoying perfect winter conditions while Whale watching yesterday.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 10-17-2017 at 04:10 AM.

Quick update the skylight is coming along nicely.

However the real news is I am celebrating after pursuing a longshot and locating an 8.6m Oregon gaff spar for WB. Despite having served on a 60 year old Cray boat my initial inspection only found minor problems. The real sweetener is some of the gear attached including wooden blocks. Now just to get it home on the Fiesta?

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Don't feel bad Chris, you wont have to cut a large hole in a perfectly good deck , even in your dreams.

Wee Barkie's crew enjoying perfect winter conditions while Whale watching yesterday.

.[IMG][/IMG]

Hey Tom let me know if you can when you plan to go out again.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Hey Tom let me know if you can when you plan to go out again.
    Tomorrow morning.

Ah, a bit soon for me, I'm a bit busy for the next few days. Anytime after Wednesday...barring Sunday would be nice.

John Welsford

Quick update the skylight is coming along nicely.

However the real news is I am celebrating after pursuing a longshot and locating an 8.6m Oregon gaff spar for WB. Despite having served on a 60 year old Cray boat my initial inspection only found minor problems. The real sweetener is some of the gear attached including wooden blocks. Now just to get it home on the Fiesta?
    Seek advice from Duncan

It's called a 3 am run.
    Grateful Dead

It's called a 3 am run.
    Surely you are not suggesting tidying the mast to my tow bar and attaching a pair of wheels at the other end (aka Floating Kiwi).

Somehow I don't like my odds of arriving home without meeting up with the boys from both Police and Transport,

Me suggest that ??? Never officer.

But it has been done but more likely on the racks of a ute with a trailer attached .
    Grateful Dead

How strong are your roof racks?

Rick

Me suggest that ??? Never officer.
    But it has been done but more likely on the racks of a ute with a trailer attached .
    Across the West Gate Bridge from Williamstown, then all the way round to Yaringa on Western Port --

Two roof bars, one tow-bar support. The trailer was just there for decoration.... The middle of the day, and not a peep from anyone.

Mike

I brought my Tumlaren mast home, up into the Adelaide Hills, from Port Adelaide many years ago. On a Morris Minor. Roof racks, plus a support on the front and rear bumpers. Significant overhang each end. No Wuckers.

Thanks Mike and Phil for finally restoring my sanity. I always assumed I was nuts transporting a 16 foot skiff no1 and 2 masts on my Landcruiser. How I miss that car right about now.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 08-21-2016 at 03:43 PM.

Looks like you are set up for car jousting Mike. Complete with your lady's token tied to the lance.

Thanks Mike and Phil for finally restoring my sanity. I always assumed I was nuts transporting a 16 foot skiff no1 and 2 masts on my Landcruiser. How I miss that car right about now.
    You are not sane Tom. But you are not alone.

We brought the Twister's 11m mast home on the Camry. There was a bit of mast hanging off the back so T drove her car along behind.

When we launched the Folkboat, I had it on an unregistered trailer. We had to go slowly etc. so I took off at about 5am, thinking that the road would be clear. However, it turned out that there was some sort of shift timing situation so, by the time we reached the turnoff, we had a queue of about 20 cars behind us. None with blue lights, thankfully.

Rick

Ah, that was a great destrier Jeff, that 929 -- worthy of any lady's favour. My favourite car, ever. It was all downhill from there -- first a Merc, now a Falcon ute....

I still really miss that Mazda.

There you go, Tom. Phil, Rick, and me make up the Three Musketeers, and you'll be d'Artagnan.

All for one and ... er, actually, y'er on yer own if you get booked ..... but we're with you in spirit!!

Rick

Just a Wee update I have just received my much anticipated conformation from the Hobart WBF

The wooden spar is in limbo and will have to find another home after SWMBO put her foot down on storing yet another mast at home.

My new skylight build using New Guinea rosewood and recycled silky oak sash window frames from an 70 year old Queenslander is nearing completion.

Just finished an hour on the mitre box tricking up the forward hatch today using some NG cover strips.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 09-13-2016 at 05:02 AM.