Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Sure beats posting dead.

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Sure beats posting dead.
    Yes that would be rather spooky.

Speaking of spooky I found the problem which I first thought was a broken shaft. What on earth was the mechanic smoking when he installed a 70x5mm key fitting into a 55x6mm key way on my tapered two ended prop shaft.?

Well that's a nice find! Just a sheared key? My dads boat has done something similar once or twice. He never uses reverse now, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Yes that would be rather spooky.

Speaking of spooky I found the problem which I first thought was a broken shaft. What on earth was the mechanic smoking when he installed a 70x5mm key fitting into a 55x6mm key way on my tapered two ended prop shaft.?
    He's obviously lost his micrometer or had a good deal on cheap leaf.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Did similar on the prop shaft on Kathleen on the way to Pt Lincoln. Manufactured a new one on board and installed it before bad weather caught us.

sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Did similar on the prop shaft on Kathleen on the way to Pt Lincoln. Manufactured a new one on board and installed it before bad weather caught us.

sent from my nerdy phone app
    Well done . I manufactured a template out of NG Rosewood while spending the night on WB last Tuesday after she left her mooring. Fortunately she waited for my arrival only 100m downstream due to the strong wind against tide conditions.

Hard to fathom a mechanic using this undersized key inserting it at an angle between the key way and the flange due to the key being too long.
    Next to it is the NG Rosewood tapered template key I fabricated.

[IMG]pic hosting[/IMG]

The only key he had I guess Tom and too lazy to go out and buy the right one. He could have cut one from solid scrap I guess but no.
    Grateful Dead

Well done . I manufactured a template out of NG Rosewood while spending the night on WB last Tuesday after she left her mooring. Fortunately she waited for my arrival only 100m downstream due to the strong wind against tide conditions.
    What happened? She slipped her mooring and just drifted about for a while?

What happened? She slipped her mooring and just drifted about for a while?
    After our recent East Coast exploits WB sense of adventure must have been diminished and I found her waiting patiently about 200m downstream from her mooring.
    Thankfully with strong wind against tide and the vigilance of Richard and Wendy on Ajas it all ended well.

Reminds me a bit of John Smiths Lulu

Mate I'm just putting this together. You lost your mooring, so now you are riding at anchor in the Tweed, which is seeing its worst flooding in living memory. I see on Facebook she's safe as of last night. Fingers crossed she stays that way! Must be anxious as hell.

[IMG]upload image online[/IMG]
    Mate I'm just putting this together. You lost your mooring, so now you are riding at anchor in the Tweed, which is seeing its worst flooding in living memory. I see on Facebook she's safe as of last night. Fingers crossed she stays that way! Must be anxious as hell.
    Only the marker pick up buoy was lost after another boat with a tree trunk snagged it. Guess I will have to try and grapple the chain later next week.
    I made the decision to move WB to the Fingal boat ramp basin prior to the weather event. And yes there was a degree of angst during the event and afterwards until the flooded roads where cleared.
    Here she is sitting pretty in her little cove

[IMG]upload image online[/IMG]

Only the marker pick up buoy was lost after another boat with a tree trunk snagged it. Guess I will have to try and grapple the chain later next week.
    I made the decision to move WB to the Fingal boat ramp basin prior to the weather event. And yes there was a degree of angst during the event and afterwards until the flooded roads where cleared.
    A very, very good idea Tom. The Tweed worries me when it's in flood !
    Grateful Dead

Thanks for the picture and update Tom. I was concerned about WB.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

At least 3 aground and at least one sunk. We did well Tom.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Great to see and very happy to hear that she’s OK.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Good news Tom, well done.

That's very good Tom! I hope you find your mooring - it's actually pretty difficult to do as you'll find there's so much other stuff down there, especially after a flood! Even if you hook it, unless you get the right end of the secondary chain, you won't be able to lift the ground chain. You might have to get the mooring company in, as they'll have lifting gear.

Rick

Well done on moving her out of harms way.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    That's very good Tom! I hope you find your mooring - it's actually pretty difficult to do as you'll find there's so much other stuff down there, especially after a flood! Even if you hook it, unless you get the right end of the secondary chain, you won't be able to lift the ground chain. You might have to get the mooring company in, as they'll have lifting gear.

Rick
    Hopefully my luck is finnally changing after I managed to grapple up my mooring buoy after about two hours of bringing up branches bamboo and clumps of grass.

[IMG]free photo hosting[/IMG]

Well done Tom !!
    Grateful Dead

Top job, Tom.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Paperback E-book

Great! When Pipsqueak's mooring was cut off along with an adjacent boat, we found the other boat's mooring but never found Pipsqueak's after days of dragging, diving etc.

Rick

I consider myself lucky to have been able to grapple the mooring buoy which was submerged due to attached debris on the buoy and the chain. Hopefully there aren't any large submerged logs still attached to the chain close to the mooring block.

This storm also provided a perfect opetunity to try out two traditional anchors a 20 pound Bruce used as a stern anchor and my main anchor which is a 35 pound CQR ,both these anchors where dug in deep due to the 180 degree wind shift we experienced.
    While I managed to break out the Bruce with the windlass in about 2m of water ,I had to resort to using the engine to break out the CQR set in 3m which was burried well past its shank in the sandy mud.

WB with a much cleaner and lighter stern minus the windvane and sitting back on her lines not quite apparent in this picture, also taking the opportunity to careen her at Fingal for some prop and rudder maintenance.

[IMG]free image hostcertificity.com[/IMG]

Seeing the picture before the text gave me a bit of a start!
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    Seeing the picture before the text gave me a bit of a start!
    I hear what yor'e saying Steve , with our recent flood the topography of the beach has changed considerably with a much sharper drop of giving WB that awkward angle.

With an East Coast low generating 40 kn winds last week and another approaching I took the opportunity to check up on Wee Barkie.
    Unfortunately she looked like she had been involved in a squirmish with both sides of her hull paint damaged the bow sprite bronze tubing stripe badly scraped , the cover Nellie sewed ripped to shreds and the Dolphin striker loosened . The 35 poundCQR also must have received a rather hard knock leaving its fluke mark on the hull.

Aperently two boats broke their moorings and where rescued at night by another yachty who then tied them up to the Fingal boat ramp jetty. I have yet to hear the full story and attempt to find out who was responsible.

Sorry to hear that Tom! What a nuisance! Badly maintained boats on moorings are a real hazard.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Sorry to hear that Tom! What a nuisance! Badly maintained boats on moorings are a real hazard.

Rick
    We were out on one of the rescue boats one day doing a bit mooring and anchor training. Picked an empty mooring and the chain snapped! The chains had rusted to the thickness of a paper clip.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

I'm glad Wee Barkie made it Tom, that could have been bad .
    Grateful Dead

That's a little bit more than annoying. I guess that's why insurance companies are charging more for boats on chain moorings, and many are simply refusing cover. We all end up paying for the idiots among us.

Hmm I might have to count myself as one of the above. Despite my mooring only having been laid 4 years and having replaced the top part of the chain last year one of the shackles adjacent to the barge chain failed recently . The diver also attached my top chain further down the barge chain due to excessive wear.

I have just recently become aware that those Fingal river moorings only have about a half live compared to Teranora inlet moorings , due to stronger currents and wind in the main part of the Tweed river.

Hmm I might have to count myself as one of the above. Despite my mooring only having been laid 4 years and having replaced the top part of the chain last year one of the shackles adjacent to the barge chain failed recently . The diver also attached my top chain further down the barge chain due to excessive wear.

I have just recently become aware that those Fingal river moorings only have about a half live compared to Teranora inlet moorings , due to stronger currents and wind in the main part of the Tweed river.
    I had heard they were going to allow more more small craft moorings at Boyds Bay. Would stainless chain be better or is there the danger of it becoming brittle?

John Welsford