Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 211121322 ... LastLast

Thread: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    That's what it is.

Rick
    Hey do you need them for the Terrace House Rick ?Bottles are coming just lost several paragraphs and looking.

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

It is a disguised gold ingot.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Hey do you need them for the Terrace House Rick ?Bottles are coming just lost several paragraphs and looking.
    No thanks Tom. Don't keep them - they're very common, sorry to tell you!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Denison View Post
    It is a disguised gold ingot.
    Thats funny a gold ingot that size weighing 3.5 lbs you my friend are a far worse treasure hunter than I ever professed to be.

Rick don't be sorry it's all I good fun and amusement and introducing treasure was just an avenue to check if some of you guys are actually reading the crap I write And don't get me wrong I appreciate the occasional feedback from you all.

Reading and enjoying Tom.

Me too, you're actually doing it !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

It appears those elusive paragraphs I slaved over this morning and lost are even more elusive than those bottles.
    Annyhow here is the condensed version 5 bottles probably little value 2 GB bottles may even be recent also different mini sizes.[IMG]host images[/IMG]
    The real find was the mug or beer bottle out of . glazed ceramic and believe me I tried hard to find all the pieces of that jig saw puzzle but to no avail. My gut feeling tells me if that one was complete it might have paid for part or all of this trip, unless of course it was made in China.

[IMG]free image host[/IMG]Motor sailing across the Last lake called the Broadwater the reader could easily be mislead into thinking we where cruising Tassie.Visibility is greatly reduced in the foggy misty conditions I have donned my foul weather jacket and my bare feet are freezing

Entering the top end of the river called the Little Brasswater as we are heading South.
    [IMG]image upload no size limit[/IMG]

On my Journey up river I earmarked Thi fishing camp as a place of interest it turned out to be a good choice for Australia Day celebrations. Pulled into this old wharf at [IMG]free uploader[/IMG]

Tamboy and I met these good old boys all related young fishermen working prawns mullet and Lee o tn right the boss one also fishes for lobster
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 01-26-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Nice wee jetty for Wee Barkie Tom!

Those "GB" bottles are actually 'CUB' bottles: Carlton and United Breweries. They might be all of... Oh.. Three of four years old! Maybe ten at a pinch. Keep looking!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Yes those party bottles where popular in the seventies before the Nation started consuming larger quantities of beer.

Being watermen with common bonds we had a great old time and I was invited to come into town with them on their skif running 150 HP did I mention the oldest was 20 Annyhow I declined since an open ended pup crawl was also mentioned,instead I opted for the 11 k Mungo Beach and campground walk.[IMG]free screen capture software[/IMG]

[IMG]screen shot on pc[/IMG]

Where is that Tom ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Mungo beach Peter

Meanwhile back at the camp the boys have returned from their beer run and they convince me to stay for a few. During our conversations guess who gets a mention the French backpacker I met at Leggies camp.Aperently she swam over to the camp and met the boys ,then Lee tells me he send her to Leggies.
    As the party progresses the bong comes out and I can't help but look at this rough around the edges young Man in a different light he has compassion and used his leadership to get her out of a situation that may have become difficult.
    This party will be getting rowdy so I bid them farewell get loaded up with their ice and prawns wich are now free.

After leaving we used the ebbing tide averaging 5.8k with the Kobuta 15 just idiling. The short run of under 2 saw us anchor at the Eden jetty picnic area. A very appropriate name and I reflect what a garden of Eden it would have been for the Indiginous people's

Just after dark I was alerted by the sound of engines, despite my anchor light I flashed a torch at the bridge of the lead boat who the tried pulling up to the jetty ramming it heavily,then thought better and disappeared into the darkness.
    Despite the lit markers we have been told repeatedly not to travel at night due to the prawn nets strung across the river,and I can only imagine them getting anywhere near the boys nets who by now are flying high.
    Two of those four guys reminded me somewhat of some of the bikie friends I rode with when I was that age and a wild child.

[IMG]image sharing[/IMG]

Late morning we pull up anchor which is easy since while resetting it is just laying on top of the sand or the weeds , just as well I run a 35 CQR as WB main anchor. Averaging 3.5k the next two hours against a still flooding tide we arrive at the Tea Garden jetty and bid the enchanted river and the magical lakes goodbye. I have been blessed to have been given the opportunity to visit this outstanding cruising Mecca.

After a quick trip down past Hawks Nest past all the oyster farms and a short sail across the bay we pulled up to the Nelson harbour jetty,shocked by all the hustle and bustle after spending the last 10 days in relative solitude.

[IMG]adult photo sharing[/IMG]

The lakes are quite magical. And they're at their busiest at this time of year, with a bit of a bump at Easter. For the rest of the year, they're pretty much deserted.

Rick

Nice to see WB looking very shipshape last night at Nelson Bay, Tom! Good luck with your trek north now! Lots of Ns in the forecast for this week though so you might need to do a bit more exploring of Port Stephens yet.

Rick

Nice to see WB looking very shipshape last night at Nelson Bay, Tom! Good luck with your trek north now! Lots of Ns in the forecast for this week though so you might need to do a bit more exploring of Port Stephens yet.

Rick
    Thanks for noticing and everything else you guys have done for us .

And analizing the us in that last statement tells a lot about the relationship that has developed between man and boat. .With her classical good looks. and my accumulated years of cruising knowledge combined with some people skills we have become a formidable team .
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 01-30-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Tom, looks like a bit of a window opening up for you for tomorrow and Thursday. Friday looks like N again but only light. After that, it looks like getting back to NE for a while, again. So, Forster, Camden Haven or Port Macquarie looking achievable. All good places. Tricky bar entrances though if there's a swell. I don't think there's much swell though but I'll check.

Rick

Tweed bar on a flood has been dream material lately. A nice easy E-SE yesterday.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

I believe Camden Haven is supposed to be a relatively safe bar. Had to sail in there years ago with a cray pot around the prop.

It's claimed a few lives but it's the one I'd head for. Very benign at present as there's no swell really and it doesn't look like there's any coming. It's a nice place too!

Rick

Were there any crays in it?

Rick

Tom, looks like a bit of a window opening up for you for tomorrow and Thursday. Friday looks like N again but only light. After that, it looks like getting back to NE for a while, again. So, Forster, Camden Haven or Port Macquarie looking achievable. All good places. Tricky bar entrances though if there's a swell. I don't think there's much swell though but I'll check.

Rick
    WB is ready to depart in the morning thinking of prehaps heading out to Broughton Is and getting an early start Friday not sure where you got the info about Thursday being a good traveling day? Then again I am struggling somewhat with Bom

Yes, BOM has SE today and tomorrow, probably with a bit of NE in the morning tomorrow. But from Friday to Tuesday, it has NE. From the BOM home page, just go to Weather Maps then look at the pressure chart and the surface winds chart for a good indicator of what's coming up. MetEye is also good as you can get a detailed forecast now for whatever local area you type in. Well worth fiddling with and much more reliable than all the fancy apps.

My suggestion would be to aim for Camden Haven today, into tomorrow, then wait there til Tuesday. But if you want to explore Broughton, anchor to the north until Friday then move around to the south until Tuesday. But the next few days will be fickle so keep an eye on it. Bon voyage!

Rick

There is considerable swell hitting those anchorages on Broughton Is and if I am going to be uncomfortable may as well do it out here heading in the right direction. Wind is filling in and it looks like I will start reeling of some miles soon,visibility is improving about 5 miles water temp a cool. 22.8 and I will be watching it .

You're going to have significant current against you all the way to Tweed, unfortunately, so keep as close to the shore as you can. You're going to hit very warm water as you go further, too.

Rick

The wind's going to be pretty light until tomorrow, late morning. Then you should get SSW of about 15 knots for a few hours. Don't forget you have Forster as an option and there's also the little harbour at Crowdy Head, just short of Camden Haven.

Rick

[IMG]adult picture hosting[/IMG]Just passed Seal rock about 50 minutes ago speed has dropped water temperature down to 21.8 motorsailing with the main up and there may just be a breath out of the NE.
    Just had a late lunch Whiting fried in butter yum , while getting a bucket of ice at the Co Op I ran into Lee the fisherman and he just felt the need to load me up with a big bag of freshly caught Whiting .Thanks Lee

ONe long night coming up NN,E on the nose double reefed main third reef ready,Camden is looking doubtful.