Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 1011

Thread: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I think you are wrong. Running at the moment but unreliable and not sure what the problem is. Followed by a photo captioned Happier days.
    Wouldn't be the first time. I've got a grumpy woman downstairs because I slept in a bit and she had to get her own cup of tea this morning..it was my turn.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

When I made my telephone fingers 'tank breather' comment about engine problems earlier I actually meant Phils post regarding the generator, but it is something to check. I expect Tom will be checking all the usual suspects for supply blockage, and air leaks so sometimes an off the wall issue like the breather can be the culprit. Run it with the filler cap cracked to check it if you can't blow through the thing.
    I do enjoy this thread though Tom, great job. I've been google earth surfing your trip.

What John said, the vent is essential and your report is brilliant !!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

John my generator issue was seriously just low fuel. Can't believe someone chucked it out.

John my generator issue was seriously just low fuel. Can't believe someone chucked it out.
    Hahaha. your gain!
    Re boat engines, I got caught a few weeks ago by the same peculiar idiosyncracy that got me once before. Somehow, in some circumstances fuel transfers from one tank to another. I think its through the shared breather ( which I don't want to tap but might have to).

I ran out of gas. Dry, like a bone in a desert, like a bank account after paying for a boat, gone , bereft of fuel.
    100 litres in the other one tho.

Haha, Balia has 4 fuel tanks. Took me a while to work out that the return lines on two of them are crossed. So when I thought fuel was coming from Port Aft and returning to Port Aft, it was actually returning to Port Forward.

Aft about.

Rick

Thanks John I did check the vent which was good also it helped me keep awake while hacksawing the copper tube.
    Since I have run out of things to check either it's a bad filter element or an injector not seated properly .Finishing of my little shakedown cruise with a pleasant sail Despite Bering a little tight.with the Wind from the NE at around 12. Once just South of Hastings Point I wii have to tack and hopefully lay Cook Island,where I plan to get some well deserved rest.
    Sadly I will have to be towed into Tweed in the Morning

[IMG]image sharing[/IMG]

I will be at my boat tomorrow but not until the arvo. Pity, I'd happily crew on 30 to come and get you. I figured you'd pick up a Cook Island mooring...good idea.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Why can't you sail in Tom?

Rick

Speaking of Tweed, where's Duncan?

Just saw Wee Barkie tied up at the pump up dock. Safe and sound. There was a code 3 callout at midday so I'm wondering if Tom got a tow in?

John Welsford

Thanks Gary .

Congratulations Tom !
    Grateful Dead

I don't think it's a pump up dock.

Rick

Not one of these ?

Grateful Dead

Wongawallan Queensland....wait....no, Darwin NT...for now

maybe pump out dock ???
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    maybe pump out dock ???
    Indeed. Pump up would not go down well with visiting boats.

Rick

Well done Tom, and thanks for sharing your adventure with us all. It has been terrific following along with your travels.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I don't think it's a pump up dock.

Rick
    Yeah sorry. The brain playing insert random word here again.

John Welsford

Don't apologise! It reminded me of my favourite Red Dwarf episode - Backwards

And the story of the boat that had the head expelling sewerage through the exhaust on the topsides, which rafted up to a smaller boat ...

Rick

Don't apologise! It reminded me of my favourite Red Dwarf episode - Backwards

And the story of the boat that had the head expelling sewerage through the exhaust on the topsides, which rafted up to a smaller boat ...

Rick
    Unforgettable. "Don't ask!"
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Ah the backwards episode. The look on Cat's face after his toilet break is priceless.

John Welsford

So, you should consider taking some video at the pump up dock

Rick

Just had a call from Tom. Looks like we will be giving him a tow tomorrow as he's lost the use of his prop shaft. I'll let him tell the story. Anyway I may be able to help him out with the shaft I pulled out of Redwing.

John Welsford

I can just see Tom emptying his bucket into the pump out dock. Probably with a funnel and a plunger. Sorry to hear there is trouble with the prop shaft.

Why can't you sail in Tom?

Rick
    Yes that question certertanly played on my mind, however the light NW winds soon put that idea to rest. Also back in the days when large ships sailed in and out of this river. None of the high rises that severely restrict the NE winds existed.
    As someone who always likes to keep sail up while crossing a bar I found on the Tweed there is a very fine line between maintaining steerage and loosing it entering on a coming flood due to the unpredictable nature of exactly when that perfect time occurs.

When during the early part of a flooding tide WB enterd the zone where the wind iwas restricted the currentt has overtaken the rudder control resulting in a loss of steerage and we have come precariously close to the rock walls in the past.

Short of trying to steer the boat backwards without sail I have yet to come up with another answer.

Wee Barkie is back on her home turf on the Tweed River as I reflect on the beauty of the places seen and as always the people that make cruising special. The wonderfull crew down in Lemon Tree and many others along the way ,
    and then along came this chance encounter

Meeting up with this scruffy looking fellow while waiting for the bridge to open, luckily over many years of cruising I have learnt not to judge a book by its cover .
    Anchoring on the other side of the bridge I met a Mr Hank Kossen former long term owner and rescuer of SV Sayonora launched in 1897 a William Fife designed Topsail Gaff Cutter with a LOA 57'7" excluding Bowsprite .
    We spent the next few pleasant hours in conversation,and it turned out he remembers Wee Barkie well from her former glory days as a gaffer in Sydney.
    People like Hank are part of the old guard of cruising sailors tough and resourceful and more remarkable sailing such a large vessel as Sayonora without the aid of an engine .

Hank Kosser sailing a Curawong a very well built 70th fiberglass version.

[IMG]picture uploader[/IMG]

Very nice!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Not one of these ?

Good one Peter
    One of these would definitely been preffered, because the trouble with a pump out jetty is one may not only encounter efluent but filthy human Sh--s .

One of these drunken louts jumped of the fly bridge of their power cruiser directly in front of my bowsprite as I was moving the boat in order to unload my gear. Since I immediately lost sight of him and WB motors at about 2.5kn while idiling I felt I had no other choice than to dump the gearbox straight from forward into reverse ,followed by a large crunch in which the Hydraline prop chewed a chunk out of the rudder after the shaft had been sheared. This was then followed by threats when I angrily enquired what the Efin hell they thought they where doing , by this very drunk group of Bushies from the interior.
    Sadly I realise I am back in the City of the Gold Coast where behaviour such as that seems more acceptable wheras the small town these men come from it would probably not occur or be tolerated.

Yesterday Morning I then used all my sailing skills to extricate myself from the very tight anchorage having to re anchor on the way out due to rudder restriction from the prop.
    A short dive and some 100lbs fishing line fixed that problem, then I sailed back up to my mooring with the strong Northerlys managing to pick it up in difficult conditions.

Must have been weakened somehow Tom, you certainly should be able to go pretty sharply from fwd to reverse without any drama.

Must have been weakened somehow Tom, you certainly should be able to go pretty sharply from fwd to reverse without any drama.
    Mabey but as stated it is a hydraline prop which means it reverses its pitch from forward to reverse which tends to put a huge amount of torque onto the shaft if shifted without pausing in neutral.

Wongawallan Queensland....wait....no, Darwin NT...for now

Perhaps you should have just run the prick over Tom - I believe in Darwinism.

Regardless, I’m really sorry to hear of such a lousy end to what sounded like a great trip.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Just had a call from Tom. Looks like we will be giving him a tow tomorrow as he's lost the use of his prop shaft. I'll let him tell the story. Anyway I may be able to help him out with the shaft I pulled out of Redwing.
    Sadly the tower knocked back Tom's request as he wasn't in danger. They did the same to me the day after I launched. I wanted to get from the pump out jetty around to my berth at time.
    How did you get back onto your mooring Tom?

John Welsford

[QUOTE=WX;5164456
    How did you get back onto your mooring Tom?[/QUOTE]

I sailed see post 531

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Good one Peter
    One of these would definitely been preffered, because the trouble with a pump out jetty is one may not only encounter efluent but filthy human Sh--s .

One of these drunken louts jumped of the fly bridge of their power cruiser directly in front of my bowsprite as I was moving the boat in order to unload my gear. Since I immediately lost sight of him and WB motors at about 2.5kn while idiling I felt I had no other choice than to dump the gearbox straight from forward into reverse ,followed by a large crunch in which the Hydraline prop chewed a chunk out of the rudder after the shaft had been sheared. This was then followed by threats when I angrily enquired what the Efin hell they thought they where doing , by this very drunk group of Bushies from the interior.
    Sadly I realise I am back in the City of the Gold Coast where behaviour such as that seems more acceptable wheras the small town these men come from it would probably not occur or be tolerated.

Yesterday Morning I then used all my sailing skills to extricate myself from the very tight anchorage having to re anchor on the way out due to rudder restriction from the prop.
    A short dive and some 100lbs fishing line fixed that problem, then I sailed back up to my mooring with the strong Northerlys managing to pick it up in difficult conditions.
    well done!

John Welsford

Watching this spectacular sunrise just of Kingscliff I reflected on this phenomenon we call the East Coast .Current
    Friday night I once again found myself teasingly close to the Tweed Bar as the wind started dropping, and WB on one of many tacks that night appeared to be heading in the right direction at up to 2kn across the bottom. Unfortunatley the current was setting us sideways at around 1.3kn which in other words means weren't going anywhere fast .
    Since this was my second night out with little sleep after having left Iluka I balanced the sails at around 2300 hr and hove to on an outward bound tack.
    Best thing I could have done waking up refreshed Just before Sunrise my position was in fact much better than hours before despite having been swept Southerly several miles. I was able to lay Kingscliff one one tack at which time I managed one last start of the engine with. failing batteries and motored to Cook Island before the motor started
    struggling with air in the system once again.

[IMG]screen shot windows[/IMG]

Are you sure it's air Tom? Might it not be that black fungus/algae in the fuel? It's not uncommon for that stuff to cause problems only at sea as it gets stirred up in the tank.

Rick

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Just as easy to chop a fellow up in reverse as forward ?

I've noticed there's a southerly set from the bar towards Cook Island.

John Welsford

An unreliable engine is a serious bugger of a thing. Sorry to hear of your troubles on an otherwise wonderful adventure.

Are you sure it's air Tom? Might it not be that black fungus/algae in the fuel? It's not uncommon for that stuff to cause problems only at sea as it gets stirred up in the tank.

Rick
    That might also be one of many possibilities mind you my main filter apears to have been clear throughout this ordeal, then again I have an aircraft transfer pump with a small cigar shaped screen filter in line before my main filter. This filter did have some darkish coloured DO when I attempted to clean it before replacing it with a Holley carburator filter in Camden Haven.
    Bleeding the injector does seem to help in keeping the engine running and I must have done that several hundred times.
    The second time the shutdown occurred was in the Myall river in flat water.

I ran the engine for two hours without a problem on Tuesday without bleeding prior to starting.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Just as easy to chop a fellow up in reverse as forward ?
    The problem was there where about eight of them and the criminal ramifications of hitting someone in the water with that many sympathetic witnesses could be horrendous.
    Chris who runs the slipway vaguely knows them as he has been kept awake by them over a number of nights and he says they are a bad lot.

That might also be one of many possibilities mind you my main filter apears to have been clear throughout this ordeal, then again I have an aircraft transfer pump with a small cigar shaped screen filter in line before my main filter. This filter did have some darkish coloured DO when I attempted to clean it before replacing it with a Holley carburator filter in Camden Haven.
    Bleeding the injector does seem to help in keeping the engine running and I must have done that several hundred times.

I ran the engine for two hours without a problem on Tuesday without bleeding prior to starting.
    Sound like you are getting air in the fuel line....have you tried all the connections between the injector pump and the injectors??? I had that problem on my tractor till I found it...I tried checking several times till I found on connector with a tiny split...what surprised me was that air was getting in occasionally, but fuel was not getting out.

The problem was there where about eight of them and the criminal ramifications of hitting someone in the water with that many sympathetic witnesses could be horrendous.
    Chris who runs the slipway vaguely knows them as he has been kept awake by them over a number of nights and he says they are a bad lot.
    The boat is parked opposite Chris's.

John Welsford

What does that pump do? I'm still looking for a connection between the engine and the VHF dying at the same time