Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71617

Thread: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Sure beats posting dead.

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Sure beats posting dead.
    Yes that would be rather spooky.

Speaking of spooky I found the problem which I first thought was a broken shaft. What on earth was the mechanic smoking when he installed a 70x5mm key fitting into a 55x6mm key way on my tapered two ended prop shaft.?

Well that's a nice find! Just a sheared key? My dads boat has done something similar once or twice. He never uses reverse now, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Yes that would be rather spooky.

Speaking of spooky I found the problem which I first thought was a broken shaft. What on earth was the mechanic smoking when he installed a 70x5mm key fitting into a 55x6mm key way on my tapered two ended prop shaft.?
    He's obviously lost his micrometer or had a good deal on cheap leaf.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Did similar on the prop shaft on Kathleen on the way to Pt Lincoln. Manufactured a new one on board and installed it before bad weather caught us.

sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Did similar on the prop shaft on Kathleen on the way to Pt Lincoln. Manufactured a new one on board and installed it before bad weather caught us.

sent from my nerdy phone app
    Well done . I manufactured a template out of NG Rosewood while spending the night on WB last Tuesday after she left her mooring. Fortunately she waited for my arrival only 100m downstream due to the strong wind against tide conditions.

Hard to fathom a mechanic using this undersized key inserting it at an angle between the key way and the flange due to the key being too long.
    Next to it is the NG Rosewood tapered template key I fabricated.

[IMG]pic hosting[/IMG]

The only key he had I guess Tom and too lazy to go out and buy the right one. He could have cut one from solid scrap I guess but no.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Well done . I manufactured a template out of NG Rosewood while spending the night on WB last Tuesday after she left her mooring. Fortunately she waited for my arrival only 100m downstream due to the strong wind against tide conditions.
    What happened? She slipped her mooring and just drifted about for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    What happened? She slipped her mooring and just drifted about for a while?
    After our recent East Coast exploits WB sense of adventure must have been diminished and I found her waiting patiently about 200m downstream from her mooring.
    Thankfully with strong wind against tide and the vigilance of Richard and Wendy on Ajas it all ended well.

Reminds me a bit of John Smiths Lulu