Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • auscruisertom
    • Mar 2011

Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

The Wee Barkie was launched on 26 November 1977 by Bruce McKay in Bundaberg. The plans for this one off where drawn up by the naval architect Wilf O'Kell ,with Bruce providing much of the overall dimension's.At WB heart lies a Colin Archer with period influences such as Harrison Butler and others. Bruce chose Crows Ash (Flindersiae Australis) for the carvel planked hull, also known as Australian Teak which was readily available and easy to steam. For the frames he chose Spotted Gum (Corymbia) with stems made from Teatree( Leptospermum) grown on his property , she also sported a Oregon Gaff rig.Bruce sailed WB extensively along the Queensland coast, including Torres Straight using only oil lamps and a lead line ,the Old;s single cylinder engine was unreliable and sails where frequently used.1984 saw Stephen Clode take ownership shipping her to Port Adelaide and received Australian registration. Later John Clode crossed Bass Straight and WB remained in Sydney until 2005. The mast was also changed to a 31' stepped fractional rig with part of the old rig used as the bowsprit.in 2005 she returned to Queensland I first ran my ruler across her in 2013 with inaccurately given dimensions, but dismissed her until several month later fate intervened.[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 10-16-2017, 05:25 PM.
  • gilberj
    • Aug 2010

Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Your link did not work for me. FWIW you have posted photos a time or two in the past. I like Wee Barkie but thought she was bigger than 25 ft....what is the question?

Comment

• Phil Y
      Banned
      • Apr 2010

Whatever the question is, and I have an inkling it might be to do with a congregation of wooden boats down south, the answer is yes, if you allow yourself plenty of time, don't rush, pick your weather and enjoy.

Comment

• auscruisertom
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by gilberj
        Your link did not work for me. FWIW you have posted photos a time or two in the past. I like Wee Barkie but thought she was bigger than 25 ft....what is the question?
        Wee Barkie was drawn at 25'4" with some minor dimensional measurement creep. She draws 4'5" up from her designed 4" due to extra ballast and a heavier Kubota 15HP engine, her beam is 8'6" with a waterline length of 21'8". However her Australian Rego no 85247 has her measurement at 8.2 meters.
        Her proportionally large interior is due to the flush deck , but believe me when you are standing at the helm the stem head fitting always looks relatively too close.

Regarding the question, Phil is right I am hoping to sail my gal down to Hobart for the WBF 2017 with a possible visit to Lord Howe Is.
        My attempt with the help of this thread is also to chronologically document WB cruising and racing adventures.

Here is a picture taken by Wilf O'Kell just of the town of 1770.

[IMG][/IMG]
        Last edited by auscruisertom; 10-17-2017, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• PeterSibley
          • Dec 2001

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
          Grateful Dead

Comment

• auscruisertom
            • Mar 2011

Here is another angle. Despite WB powerful 31' foot rig combined with her oversize boom, it has always been my dream to convert her back to her original Gaff rig.

[IMG][/IMG]
            Last edited by auscruisertom; 10-17-2017, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• PeterSibley
              • Dec 2001

She's a damn good wee boat Tom !
              Grateful Dead

Comment

• Wooden Boat Fittings
                • Oct 2001

^ Yeah, but she's got raised topsides, Peter!
                Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Comment

• RFNK
                  Port Stephens, Australia
                  • Feb 2007

Those black and white photos are beautiful Tom! She's a great looking boat and should be fine for Hobart. As with any boat, leave lots of time and travel according to your weather windows.

Rick
                  Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• PeterSibley
                    • Dec 2001

She's a damn good wee boat Tom !
                    Grateful Dead

Comment

• PeterSibley
                      • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Wooden Boat Fittings
                      ^ Yeah, but she's got raised topsides, Peter!
                      She has and from a design perspective they're an excellent idea , especially on a smallish boat. Sometimes they're aesthetically challenging but WB does it well.
                      Grateful Dead

Comment

• Wooden Boat Fittings
                        • Oct 2001

Originally posted by PeterSibley
                        She has and from a design perspective they're an excellent idea , especially on a smallish boat. Sometimes they're aesthetically challenging but WB does it well.
                        They're an even better idea in practice. The amount of inside space you gain is truly breathtaking. I've said this here before, but it bears repeating -- Sanderling was only 20' on deck and 17' on the waterline, yet inside she contained two full-length berths, two trotter-boxes, a head, a hanging locker, sail locker, galley, chart table, other storage, and a forepeak; and on deck a large cockpit with six storage lockers under the seats, and a large lazarette. (There are a few old photos here, if you need reminding.)

Truly, raised topsides are well worth considering if you're looking for comfortable cruising.
                        Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Comment

• skaraborgcraft
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2010

I have lived with raised hull/decks so know the benefits and actually like the asthetics in some cases. Mr Sibley has an aversion just like i have an aversion to anything with a clipper style bow....i just dont get it, and would never have a boat styled that way.Practical common sense has limits sometimes.
                          Great photo of WB!

Comment

• PeterSibley
                            • Dec 2001

''Practical common sense has limits sometimes'' ..... what is this ''practical common sense'' of which you speak? I thought it was about aesthetics and aesthetics ?
                            Grateful Dead

Comment

• WX
                              Uki NSW Australia
                              • Feb 2002

I think it's about what works and if it looks right so much the better....though I do draw the line at reverse sheer...except in the case of Trekka.
                              Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

Working...