Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Before departing Yamba marina I managed to pick a half bucket of Bowen mangoes from a huge tree located on council property, not before assisting a teenager do the same .
    Honestly some of this younger generation did not want or was unable to climb the tree because his mother was waiting in the car, when I suggested we find a stick he looked hopefull and happily departed with several mangoes.

I then bought some $2.50 a kilo mullet for me and to share with some Crabs and finnally traded half a dozen Mangoes for some ice.

Arrived at the Yamba Shores Tavern a very modern sprawling architecturaly designed building with a full length jetty.

Just before midnight a Southerly Buster roared through heeling WB up to 15 degrees despite being protected by the high bank and two storey dwellings around us,estimated wind gusts where we'll up in the 30 kn range

[IMG]imgurl[/IMG]
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 02-13-2017 at 02:39 AM.

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

We managed to cover the 9 miles from the Yamba Tavern to the Harwood bridge sailing most of the riverbends with the stiff following SE breeze. I am booked in for 1000 am to have the bridge tender open the bridge thereby stopping traffic on the Pacific Highway.

The mighty Clarence river is Australia's second largest river covering 400 km of pristine water from source to the sea also including over 100 charted islands.

[IMG]upload pic[/IMG]

All I can say is get plenty of rest, be patient, wait for good weather and sit out the not so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    All I can say is get plenty of rest, be patient, wait for good weather and sit out the not so good.
    Great advice I will be monitoring the weather daily and I have one of my Hobart applicants joining me for the last 80 nm
    Not actually sure how I am feeling about that,Annyhow the night sail will soon sort him out if he shows.

Unfortunatley I lost two days of cruising the river and what is worse the new filtration system was not in stock I found out today and would probably take three or more days to get in so once again I can't entirely trust my engine and worse I am on a time limit. Nellie and the boys are on their way to Vanovatou on the Vojager of the Sea for Aaron's 21 and I will pick them up at Coolangatta Airport even if I have to leave WB in Ballina or Brunswick Heads.

Spending the second night on the Clarence river at Maclean an old historic Scottish town.
    Notice the flood management gates on the left hand of the picture these work in conjunction with a levy build around the town.[IMG]photos upload[/IMG]

This engine is driving me nuts, running alt the moment just South of Ballina,with light Westerly winds.
    Tough night with only 2 hours of shut eye

That's got to be a worry. Don't attempt any bar crossings in dicey conditions. Murphys law says that is when it will cut out.

Hapier Days

[IMG]upload img[/IMG]

Running at the moment...I think he means the noise of it, I could be wrong.
    High tide on the Tweed is 12.35pm which he won't make.
    Low is 6.51pm. Anytime after that should be okay.
    Crossing on an ebb is not recommended but it will depend on the sea state.
    If Tom gets to Cook Island a bit early he could always pick up a mooring and catch some shut eye.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

I think you are wrong. Running at the moment but unreliable and not sure what the problem is. Followed by a photo captioned Happier days.

I think you are wrong. Running at the moment but unreliable and not sure what the problem is. Followed by a photo captioned Happier days.
    Wouldn't be the first time. I've got a grumpy woman downstairs because I slept in a bit and she had to get her own cup of tea this morning..it was my turn.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

When I made my telephone fingers 'tank breather' comment about engine problems earlier I actually meant Phils post regarding the generator, but it is something to check. I expect Tom will be checking all the usual suspects for supply blockage, and air leaks so sometimes an off the wall issue like the breather can be the culprit. Run it with the filler cap cracked to check it if you can't blow through the thing.
    I do enjoy this thread though Tom, great job. I've been google earth surfing your trip.

What John said, the vent is essential and your report is brilliant !!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

John my generator issue was seriously just low fuel. Can't believe someone chucked it out.

John my generator issue was seriously just low fuel. Can't believe someone chucked it out.
    Hahaha. your gain!
    Re boat engines, I got caught a few weeks ago by the same peculiar idiosyncracy that got me once before. Somehow, in some circumstances fuel transfers from one tank to another. I think its through the shared breather ( which I don't want to tap but might have to).

I ran out of gas. Dry, like a bone in a desert, like a bank account after paying for a boat, gone , bereft of fuel.
    100 litres in the other one tho.

Haha, Balia has 4 fuel tanks. Took me a while to work out that the return lines on two of them are crossed. So when I thought fuel was coming from Port Aft and returning to Port Aft, it was actually returning to Port Forward.

Aft about.

Rick

Thanks John I did check the vent which was good also it helped me keep awake while hacksawing the copper tube.
    Since I have run out of things to check either it's a bad filter element or an injector not seated properly .Finishing of my little shakedown cruise with a pleasant sail Despite Bering a little tight.with the Wind from the NE at around 12. Once just South of Hastings Point I wii have to tack and hopefully lay Cook Island,where I plan to get some well deserved rest.
    Sadly I will have to be towed into Tweed in the Morning

[IMG]image sharing[/IMG]

I will be at my boat tomorrow but not until the arvo. Pity, I'd happily crew on 30 to come and get you. I figured you'd pick up a Cook Island mooring...good idea.

John Welsford

Why can't you sail in Tom?

Rick

Speaking of Tweed, where's Duncan?

Just saw Wee Barkie tied up at the pump up dock. Safe and sound. There was a code 3 callout at midday so I'm wondering if Tom got a tow in?

John Welsford

Thanks Gary .

Congratulations Tom !
    Grateful Dead

I don't think it's a pump up dock.

Rick

Not one of these ?

Grateful Dead

maybe pump out dock ???
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    maybe pump out dock ???
    Indeed. Pump up would not go down well with visiting boats.

Rick

Well done Tom, and thanks for sharing your adventure with us all. It has been terrific following along with your travels.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I don't think it's a pump up dock.

Rick
    Yeah sorry. The brain playing insert random word here again.

John Welsford

Don't apologise! It reminded me of my favourite Red Dwarf episode - Backwards

And the story of the boat that had the head expelling sewerage through the exhaust on the topsides, which rafted up to a smaller boat ...

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Don't apologise! It reminded me of my favourite Red Dwarf episode - Backwards

And the story of the boat that had the head expelling sewerage through the exhaust on the topsides, which rafted up to a smaller boat ...

Rick
    Unforgettable. "Don't ask!"
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Ah the backwards episode. The look on Cat's face after his toilet break is priceless.

John Welsford

So, you should consider taking some video at the pump up dock

Rick

Just had a call from Tom. Looks like we will be giving him a tow tomorrow as he's lost the use of his prop shaft. I'll let him tell the story. Anyway I may be able to help him out with the shaft I pulled out of Redwing.

John Welsford

I can just see Tom emptying his bucket into the pump out dock. Probably with a funnel and a plunger. Sorry to hear there is trouble with the prop shaft.