Page 1 of 18 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Default Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

The Wee Barkie was launched on 26 November 1977 by Bruce McKay in Bundaberg. The plans for this one off where drawn up by the naval architect Wilf O'Kell ,with Bruce providing much of the overall dimension's.

At WB heart lies a Colin Archer with period influences such as Harrison Butler and others. Bruce chose Crows Ash (Flindersiae Australis) for the carvel planked hull, also known as Australian Teak which was readily available and easy to steam. For the frames he chose Spotted Gum (Corymbia) with stems made from Teatree( Leptospermum) grown on his property , she also sported a Oregon Gaff rig.

Bruce sailed WB extensively along the Queensland coast, including Torres Straight using only oil lamps and a lead line ,the Old;s single cylinder engine was unreliable and sails where frequently used.

1984 saw Stephen Clode take ownership shipping her to Port Adelaide and received Australian registration. Later John Clode crossed Bass Straight and WB remained in Sydney until 2005. The mast was also changed to a 31' stepped fractional rig with part of the old rig used as the bowsprit.

in 2005 she returned to Queensland I first ran my ruler across her in 2013 with inaccurately given dimensions, but dismissed her until several month later fate intuited.

[/video]
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 08-09-2016 at 05:10 AM.

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Your link did not work for me. FWIW you have posted photos a time or two in the past. I like Wee Barkie but thought she was bigger than 25 ft....what is the question?

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Whatever the question is, and I have an inkling it might be to do with a congregation of wooden boats down south, the answer is yes, if you allow yourself plenty of time, don't rush, pick your weather and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    Your link did not work for me. FWIW you have posted photos a time or two in the past. I like Wee Barkie but thought she was bigger than 25 ft....what is the question?
    Wee Barkie was drawn at 25'4" with some minor dimensional measurement creep. She draws 4'5" up from her designed 4" due to extra ballast and a heavier Kubota 15HP engine, her beam is 8'6" with a waterline length of 21'8". However her Australian Rego no 85247 has her measurement at 8.2 meters.
    Her proportionally large interior is due to the flush deck , but believe me when you are standing at the helm the stem head fitting always looks relatively too close.

Regarding the question, Phil is right I am hoping to sail my gal down to Hobart for the WBF 2017 with a possible visit to Lord Howe Is.
    My attempt with the help of this thread is also to chronologically document WB cruising and racing adventures.

Here is a picture taken by Wilf O'Kell just of the town of 1770.

[IMG][/IMG]

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Here is another angle. Despite WB powerful 31' foot rig combined with her oversize boom, it has always been my dream to convert her back to her original Gaff rig.

[IMG][/IMG]

She's a damn good wee boat Tom !
    Grateful Dead

^ Yeah, but she's got raised topsides, Peter!
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Those black and white photos are beautiful Tom! She's a great looking boat and should be fine for Hobart. As with any boat, leave lots of time and travel according to your weather windows.

Rick

She's a damn good wee boat Tom !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    She has and from a design perspective they're an excellent idea , especially on a smallish boat. Sometimes they're aesthetically challenging but WB does it well.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    She has and from a design perspective they're an excellent idea , especially on a smallish boat. Sometimes they're aesthetically challenging but WB does it well.
    They're an even better idea in practice. The amount of inside space you gain is truly breathtaking. I've said this here before, but it bears repeating -- Sanderling was only 20' on deck and 17' on the waterline, yet inside she contained two full-length berths, two trotter-boxes, a head, a hanging locker, sail locker, galley, chart table, other storage, and a forepeak; and on deck a large cockpit with six storage lockers under the seats, and a large lazarette. (There are a few old photos here, if you need reminding.)

Truly, raised topsides are well worth considering if you're looking for comfortable cruising.

I have lived with raised hull/decks so know the benefits and actually like the asthetics in some cases. Mr Sibley has an aversion just like i have an aversion to anything with a clipper style bow....i just dont get it, and would never have a boat styled that way.Practical common sense has limits sometimes.
    Great photo of WB!

''Practical common sense has limits sometimes'' ..... what is this ''practical common sense'' of which you speak? I thought it was about aesthetics and aesthetics ?
    Grateful Dead

I think it's about what works and if it looks right so much the better....though I do draw the line at reverse sheer...except in the case of Trekka.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Yeah, Trekka looks cool. I think the reverse sheer works because she's so small. It makes her look strong and capable. There's a 50-something-foot Van de Stadt sloop in the boatyard at present with reverse sheer. It just looks.... BIG.

Clipper bows look great on a... clipper! Imagine that! They start looking silly to me on anything smaller than about 90 feet.

There ya go! On a big ship like..... er.....a clipper, a clipper bow looks great. Same as reverse sheer, i did a lot of offshore milage in a boat a bit bigger than trekka, and it was a good feature for a small boat. Yes, asthetics is whatever you find attractive. Practical common sense was an awfull mis-quote on my part, as practical and common sense has often no place in a decision when a boat pulls on those heart strings (and your wallet), i apologise for that statement, im not sure what come over me.....must have had one of those rational moments......i think its gone now.

A point of total irrelevance, I just noticed in the OP you referred to her as THE Wee Barkie, and it occurred to me that sometimes we call our boats THE (Name) and sometimes just (Name). Is there any convention to that?

I think it's only used to differentiate a boat's name from another entity e.g., Queen Elizabeth is stuck on a sandbar vs The Queen Elizabeth is stuck on a sandbar. Often used in a humorous or ironic way .....

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    There ya go! On a big ship like..... er.....a clipper, a clipper bow looks great. Same as reverse sheer, i did a lot of offshore milage in a boat a bit bigger than trekka, and it was a good feature for a small boat. Yes, asthetics is whatever you find attractive. Practical common sense was an awfull mis-quote on my part, as practical and common sense has often no place in a decision when a boat pulls on those heart strings (and your wallet), i apologise for that statement, im not sure what come over me.....must have had one of those rational moments......i think its gone now.
    We all have our moments.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    Thanks Mike for pointing out the correct terminology regarding raised topsides.

They are undoubtedly one of WB outstanding design features. With all the extra volume inside the cabin I referred to WB as my fat little caravan in fun, this expression was however soon put to rest upon realizing her sailing potential.

On deck the versatility and stability of working on a level surface truly sets it apart from previous yachts I have owned. The level platform has provided countless hours of fishing enjoyment for Nellie seated in her comfortable chair, provides adequate room for storing a zodiac when required , not to mention being able to carry up to 9 people legally in relative comfort.

Reflecting on what my old Alberg 30 looked like with a similar sized group of mostly Cuban Uni students just outside Marina Hemingway. The sail was rather short lived after "West Wind" was challenged verbally by the marina Sentry ,fortunately we had enough sense to drop the Senioritis safely out of sight in order not to cause them problems.

[IMG][/IMG]

Well... put that way, I'll take the Alberg 30 every time thanks!!
    Last edited by MattSplatt; 08-06-2016 at 09:32 PM.

Does anyone know where I can buy an Alberg 30? What is an Alberg 30? Does anyone have a set of Cuba charts?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Does anyone know where I can buy an Alberg 30? What is an Alberg 30? Does anyone have a set of Cuba charts?

Rick
    Ha Ha The Alberg was the star given that she gave the daughters of former revolutionaries a unique experience and opportunity of venturing outside the seawalls surrounding Havana .

Few Cuban trusted fisher men where permitted to ply their trade in tiny boats under the ever present watch full eyes of the gun boats patrolling the coast. The rest of the population where largely considered flight risks by the government ,and not permitted boat ownership.

Phil Wee Barkie was named by her builder Bruce McKay. WB last owner Dr Roger Allan related a story of a Peter Dink dinghy being build by Bruce, called Wee Barkie and that name sticking to the big boat. That dinghy was later lost of Lizard Is.

Moving back to July 5 2013. I had organized three of us including Simon and Duncan to conduct a final pre purchase inspection in order to provide me with some unbiased opinions. Not sure what occurred but apparently WB put a spell on the crew. Taking possession later that afternoon and throwing a quick coat of antifoul on my girl ,with the last of the fading light. Next morning we bid Moreton Bay farewell bound for WB new home on the Tweed River.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Thanks Mike for pointing out the correct terminology regarding raised topsides.
    That wasn't the intention, Tom. But I (thought I) knew that Peter didn't like 'em.

Sanderling (smaller) had them too, and I know just how spacious she was below.

How's your Spanish these days? Those seņoritas look, um, how shall I put this? quite stunning.

Moving back to July 5 2013. I had organized three of us including Simon and Duncan to conduct a final pre purchase inspection in order to provide me with some unbiased opinions. Not sure what occurred but apparently WB put a spell on the crew. Taking possession later that afternoon and throwing a quick coat of antifoul on my girl ,with the last of the fading light. Next morning we bid Moreton Bay farewell bound for WB new home on the Tweed River.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Tom without in any way suggesting any hint of imperfection or lack of beauty as she is, I'm just wondering how she'd look with a rubbing strake in a contrasting colour picking out an imaginary sheer line, possibly along the lower edge of the full length sheer strake

Indeed it looks like she had exactly that in the black and white photos above.

I think that's a great idea. It's practical, easy enough to do and will enhance the look of the boat. I'd bet anything she was designed with that.

I, reluctantly, put rubbing strips on Masina earlier this year. I didn't do a very good job with the finish but they still look great and I've had comments that they've improved the look of the boat as they accentuate her lines.

I used strips of PNG rosewood, cut in a drip groove, and glassed the strips. I have brass D section to add but haven't added it yet.

Rick

Yes, a good idea and it will protect the topsides too.

Grateful Dead

[QUOTE=Wooden Boat Fittings;4974182

How's your Spanish these days? Those seņoritas look, um, how shall I put this? quite stunning. [/QUOTE]

My Spanish which was primarily learnt by engaging and real life interaction with potential tutors got me there.

Unfortunately I have not maintained it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Tom without in any way suggesting any hint of imperfection or lack of beauty as she is, I'm just wondering how she'd look with a rubbing strake in a contrasting colour picking out an imaginary sheer line, possibly along the lower edge of the full length sheer strake
    You are quite right Guys she needs the rubbing strake reinstalled , unfortunately I just used up the last of my NG Rosewood. I will however check with Stephen Clode the second owner of WB if there was any overriding reason why the strake was removed..
    Any particular shape the strake needs to be that helps deflect water ?, Since a poor design may constitute a problem when WB is being pushed hard.

Question: Does anyone know how to totally leak proof a skylight?? At the moment I am just planning to router a drainage channel below the top piano hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    ... I'm just wondering how she'd look with a rubbing strake in a contrasting colour picking out an imaginary sheer line, possibly along the lower edge of the full length sheer strake
    Yes, that's how Sanderling was finished, plus another at deck level --

My Spanish which was primarily learnt by engaging and real life interaction with potential tutors got me there. Unfortunately I have not maintained it.
    Ha! Welcome to my club. I had a Chilena wife once.

Tom, re the skylight. Can you rebuild it to follow Maurice Griffith's pattern? He guaranteed this would be waterproof unless actually submerged --

(And preferably have it hinged forward as long as there's room to get out.)

Tom I assume we are talking about the traditional 2 sided skylight with piano hinges along the central spine? I think the trick is probably to make the gutters quite large. Getting the front, back and bottom edges waterproof is also an issue. Fine against vertical rain, but as soon as you get green water going horizontal it's a different ball game. Rubber gaskets and screw down fastenings will get you 90% there.