Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MattSplatt
    • Feb 2014

Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Yeah, Trekka looks cool. I think the reverse sheer works because she's so small. It makes her look strong and capable. There's a 50-something-foot Van de Stadt sloop in the boatyard at present with reverse sheer. It just looks.... BIG.

Clipper bows look great on a... clipper! Imagine that! They start looking silly to me on anything smaller than about 90 feet.

Comment

• skaraborgcraft
      Banned
      • Jan 2010

There ya go! On a big ship like..... er.....a clipper, a clipper bow looks great. Same as reverse sheer, i did a lot of offshore milage in a boat a bit bigger than trekka, and it was a good feature for a small boat. Yes, asthetics is whatever you find attractive. Practical common sense was an awfull mis-quote on my part, as practical and common sense has often no place in a decision when a boat pulls on those heart strings (and your wallet), i apologise for that statement, im not sure what come over me.....must have had one of those rational moments......i think its gone now.

Comment

• Phil Y
        Banned
        • Apr 2010

A point of total irrelevance, I just noticed in the OP you referred to her as THE Wee Barkie, and it occurred to me that sometimes we call our boats THE (Name) and sometimes just (Name). Is there any convention to that?

Comment

• RFNK
          Port Stephens, Australia
          • Feb 2007

I think it's only used to differentiate a boat's name from another entity e.g., Queen Elizabeth is stuck on a sandbar vs The Queen Elizabeth is stuck on a sandbar. Often used in a humorous or ironic way .....

Rick
          Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• WX
            Uki NSW Australia
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by skaraborgcraft
            There ya go! On a big ship like..... er.....a clipper, a clipper bow looks great. Same as reverse sheer, i did a lot of offshore milage in a boat a bit bigger than trekka, and it was a good feature for a small boat. Yes, asthetics is whatever you find attractive. Practical common sense was an awfull mis-quote on my part, as practical and common sense has often no place in a decision when a boat pulls on those heart strings (and your wallet), i apologise for that statement, im not sure what come over me.....must have had one of those rational moments......i think its gone now.
            We all have our moments.
            Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• auscruisertom
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Wooden Boat Fittings
              ^ Yeah, but she's got raised topsides, Peter!
              Thanks Mike for pointing out the correct terminology regarding raised topsides.

They are undoubtedly one of WB outstanding design features. With all the extra volume inside the cabin I referred to WB as my fat little caravan in fun, this expression was however soon put to rest upon realizing her sailing potential.

On deck the versatility and stability of working on a level surface truly sets it apart from previous yachts I have owned. The level platform has provided countless hours of fishing enjoyment for Nellie seated in her comfortable chair, provides adequate room for storing a zodiac when required , not to mention being able to carry up to 9 people legally in relative comfort.

Reflecting on what my old Alberg 30 looked like with a similar sized group of mostly Cuban Uni students just outside Marina Hemingway. The sail was rather short lived after "West Wind" was challenged verbally by the marina Sentry ,fortunately we had enough sense to drop the Senioritis safely out of sight in order not to cause them problems.

[IMG][/IMG]
              Last edited by auscruisertom; 10-17-2017, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• MattSplatt
                • Feb 2014

Well... put that way, I'll take the Alberg 30 every time thanks!!
                Last edited by MattSplatt; 08-06-2016, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• RFNK
                  Port Stephens, Australia
                  • Feb 2007

Does anyone know where I can buy an Alberg 30? What is an Alberg 30? Does anyone have a set of Cuba charts?

Rick
                  Rick

Comment

• auscruisertom
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by RFNK
                    Does anyone know where I can buy an Alberg 30? What is an Alberg 30? Does anyone have a set of Cuba charts?

Rick
                    Ha Ha The Alberg was the star given that she gave the daughters of former revolutionaries a unique experience and opportunity of venturing outside the seawalls surrounding Havana .

Few Cuban trusted fisher men where permitted to ply their trade in tiny boats under the ever present watch full eyes of the gun boats patrolling the coast. The rest of the population where largely considered flight risks by the government ,and not permitted boat ownership.

Phil Wee Barkie was named by her builder Bruce McKay. WB last owner Dr Roger Allan related a story of a Peter Dink dinghy being build by Bruce, called Wee Barkie and that name sticking to the big boat. That dinghy was later lost of Lizard Is.

Comment

• auscruisertom
                      • Mar 2011

Moving back to July 5 2013. I had organized three of us including Simon and Duncan to conduct a final pre purchase inspection in order to provide me with some unbiased opinions. Not sure what occurred but apparently WB put a spell on the crew. Taking possession later that afternoon and throwing a quick coat of antifoul on my girl ,with the last of the fading light. Next morning we bid Moreton Bay farewell bound for WB new home on the Tweed River.

Attempting to resurrect pictures after the Photo bucket extortion with some substitution occurring.!!

This is what WB would looked like with her original rubbing strake.

[IMG][/IMG]
                      Last edited by auscruisertom; 10-17-2017, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• Wooden Boat Fittings
                        • Oct 2001

Originally posted by auscruisertom
                        Thanks Mike for pointing out the correct terminology regarding raised topsides.
                        That wasn't the intention, Tom. But I (thought I) knew that Peter didn't like 'em.

Sanderling (smaller) had them too, and I know just how spacious she was below.

How's your Spanish these days? Those seƱoritas look, um, how shall I put this? quite stunning.
                        Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Comment

• Phil Y
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by auscruisertom
                          Moving back to July 5 2013. I had organized three of us including Simon and Duncan to conduct a final pre purchase inspection in order to provide me with some unbiased opinions. Not sure what occurred but apparently WB put a spell on the crew. Taking possession later that afternoon and throwing a quick coat of antifoul on my girl ,with the last of the fading light. Next morning we bid Moreton Bay farewell bound for WB new home on the Tweed River.

[IMG][/IMG]
                          Tom without in any way suggesting any hint of imperfection or lack of beauty as she is, I'm just wondering how she'd look with a rubbing strake in a contrasting colour picking out an imaginary sheer line, possibly along the lower edge of the full length sheer strake

Comment

• Phil Y
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2010

Indeed it looks like she had exactly that in the black and white photos above.

Comment

• RFNK
                              Port Stephens, Australia
                              • Feb 2007

I think that's a great idea. It's practical, easy enough to do and will enhance the look of the boat. I'd bet anything she was designed with that.

I, reluctantly, put rubbing strips on Masina earlier this year. I didn't do a very good job with the finish but they still look great and I've had comments that they've improved the look of the boat as they accentuate her lines.

I used strips of PNG rosewood, cut in a drip groove, and glassed the strips. I have brass D section to add but haven't added it yet.

Rick
                              Rick

Comment

• PeterSibley
                                • Dec 2001

Yes, a good idea and it will protect the topsides too.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
                                Grateful Dead

Comment

Working...