Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12212223 LastLast

Thread: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Tied up to my newmooring now just to clean up the mess.[IMG]
    k[/IMG]

Well done. Unfortunately I don't see the attachments but I can see it all in my minds eye and it looks good from here. Good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Well done Tom, for some weird reason I thought it was at Fingle.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Excellent Tom ! I'm very glad it all went well.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

great job!!

[QUOTE=brucemoffatt;5524957]Well done. Unfortunately I don't see the attachments but I can see it all in my minds eye and it looks good from here. Good work.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Just curious regarding seeing “Attachments” ? What would be the reason for that and is anyone else having similar problems?

I can see the pics. Doesn't look very exciting at all. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I can see the pics. Doesn't look very exciting at all. Good job.
    After spending about 2 hours snorkeling various ropes and floats plus levering the 24 mm chain from under the rock it got trapped under with 18 kilo bar being the right tool despite trying to drown me, the anticlimax of a relative smooth operation was just what my frayed nerves required.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 04-03-2018 at 09:06 PM.

All good! Well done Tom!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post

Just curious regarding seeing “Attachments” ? What would be the reason for that and is anyone else having similar problems?
    It's just on the iPhone I can't see them. I can see them on a Windows PC. It must be something about how the iPhone is configured.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    It's just on the iPhone I can't see them. I can see them on a Windows PC. It must be something about how the iPhone is configured.
    Possiblly your set up my I phone 5 is displaying pictures.
    Thank you all for the encouraging comments.

Summoning up moving of the one ton mooring block.
    The two barrel float worked well although lacking the additional stability of four barrels. It is crucial that the cut in the middle for the ropes is completely centered.
    My framework was strapped on top with only one side lip of the top of the barrel preventing slippage, the better option would be to encase the ends of the raft to prevent slippage.
    Without a doubt the star of the day was WB and her Seymour windlass that easily managed to crank up 200 or more kilos.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 04-04-2018 at 07:57 AM.

[IMG][/IMG]

Well done Tom. I love the fact you thought it through and had a go. Hope it stays put now.

I'll give you a call if I finally finish and need to drop a mooring for my boat!!

Mal
    Quest

Moving slowly towards a Welsford Sundowner.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish??

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Well done Tom. I love the fact you thought it through and had a go. Hope it stays put now.

I'll give you a call if I finally finish and need to drop a mooring for my boat!

Mal
    Thanks Mal I appreciate your comment ,and I would gladly assist you when your ready to drop your mooring.
    Wherabouts will your mooring be located.?

Great to see the progress on your boat.

I think marina for a few months while I sort myself out, but the mooring question is an interesting one for Brisbane area. Somewhere in the Brisbane river or more likely north of it somewhere? But now I have to go sand for painting........
    Quest

Moving slowly towards a Welsford Sundowner.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish??

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

After crossing the Tweed Bar we just started having too much fun heading out on a fast beam reach.When we finnally hove to for late lunch our position was
    a long way South.Looks like the East Coast current is just ripping out there. Heading back under heavely reefed main we finnally ended up well south of Kingscliff with the wind now swinging more NW we had a slog on our hands. Below is Andrew with Mt Warning in the background.

[I sail upload pictures free[/IMG]

Just south of Cook Is we started motorsailing in some very sloppy conditions.
    Cook Is below with two mooring buoyes barley visible installed for the brave or the dead tired.

[IMG][/IMG]

The bar was good today but conditions outside were a bit confused and lumpy. With the swell we were doing around 18 kts going down the Kingscliff but north back to the bar from Cook I had the speed down to around 9 kts at times. This was in PD20.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

After attempting to participate in the Queensland Cruising Yacht Club Vintage Regatta which was canceled two years ago due to a huge East Coast low we succeeded.
    Crossing the Tweed Bar early Thursday we where greeted by three Humpack Whales frolicking. Motorsailing to the Southport seaway with a light Northerly which picked up enough to shut down the engine and enjoy a fast sail to Macleay Is with the fast moving tide. Anchored at Macleay Is enjoying a calm night.

[IMG][/IMG]

Leaving the Islands in our wake we motored towards Moreton Bay until the morning breeze picked up.

[IMG]screenshot captor[/IMG]

Enjoyed a beautiful sail close reaching towards Shorncliff which lies just North of Brisbane. Arrived around 1430 under a spinnaker giving my new crew member Andrew some experience.[IMG][/IMG]

Below showing the Broadwaterand Main Channel route taken with the destination shown inside Bramble Bay at Cabbage Tree Creek.
    Navigation through the channels is well marked but there is always a sandbank waiting for those that don’t pay attention to their chart. Moreton Bay is approximately 15 kn wide and 30 kn long and current can run up to 3 kn.

[IMG]free screen capture[/IMG]
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 07-31-2018 at 06:13 PM.

The QCYC was founded in 1948 by a group of passionate sailors for the purpose of hosting the Brisbane Gladstone Yacht Race held every Easter. The other race attracting large fleets is the Surf to City with the Bribie cup and Vintage Regatta also becoming firm fixtures in the Club’s portfolio of prestigious annual events.

This was my second visit to the QCYC racing previously aboard my Doug Peterson 23’ Blazer “Heart Attack” . I still have vivid memories of closing the shallow shoreline under full spinnaker late at night surfing at around 10-12 kn without a sounder and no local knowledge.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 08-01-2018 at 04:05 AM.

Things that go `bump' in the night .....

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    The QCYC was founded in 1948 by a group of passionate sailors for the purpose of hosting the Brisbane Gladstone Yacht Race held every Easter. The other race attracting large fleets is the Surf to City with the Bribie cup and Vintage Regatta also becoming firm fixtures in the Club’s portfolio of prestigious annual events.

This was my second visit to the QCYC racing previously aboard my Doug Peterson 24’ Blazer “Heart Attack” . I still have vivid memories of closing the shallow shoreline under full spinnaker late at night surfing at around 10-12 kn without a sounder and no local knowledge.
    Reminds me of an overnight coastal race i did in PNG. I was on the helm. Navigator on the GPS. Pitch black. No lights. Reef. When he said TACK you can bet we tacked pretty bloody quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Things that go `bump' in the night .....

Rick
    Big bad bump ,with a 1.3 m dagger on the Blazer the problem at that speed is even when hitting a sandbank the crew will get thrown forward which most likely will result in some injuries .

Two of four races started Saturday with a short lunch break on the water. Our Queensland winter excelled itself with temperatures in the comfortable 25 degrees range. Below some pre race jostling.

[IMG][/IMG]

In the foreground Andrew a newcomer to sailing doing a good job trimming ,steering is Simon while I set the spinnaker.
    Gg[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG]share picture[/IMG]

Despite having a good deal of spinnaker experience including serious Ocean racing those first sets on a cutter did my head in. After placing first in both races we held a team meeting and solved several problems.
    The following day despite an adjusted handicap ,WB continued sailing faster including faster spinnaker sets and flawless starts.

[IMG][/IMG]

In the end all that hard work payed of and we placed first on handicap In the small Keelboat Division[IMG]

WB also has the distinction of winning the same class by being first across the line in heavy weather skippered by her last owner Dr Roger Allan.

upload and share your pics[/IMG]

There was also the additional gift bag sponsored by Hempel paints including Anti-Foul paint delivered to my door.

[IMG]free image upload[/IMG]

Winning the Vintage Regatta is as good as it gets .
    And is right up there with placing second in a singlehanded Straight of Georgia race in which I drew a Rolex watch ,and also managed to just squeeze in ahead of “Pilar” a modified Benetau 41 which I regularly crewed on skippered by Dr John McMillan. Back then I was sailing aboard “West Wind “ an Alberg 30 .

Great work, a boat load of antifouling is nice.

That would be about 6 litres of AF - call it 8? That's about $500! Not bad for a day of sailing! And a t-shirt!

Rick

I wish I'd won. I use about 20.