Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101920

Thread: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

I did, too. Looking in the "Wood Database" while the Oregon (Douglas fir? Pseudotcuga Menziesii?) ls listed as stronger, the lighter spruce can give you a tougher spar for a given weight.
    . http://www.wood-database.com/sitka-spruce/
    http://www.wood-database.com/douglas-fir/

Of course, there's still that $2000 issue....

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Can't go wrong with some old Oregon out of demolished buildings I'd say, if you are building birdsmouth. Or did you say there's a used rig up for grabs?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    I did, too. Looking in the "Wood Database" while the Oregon (Douglas fir? Pseudotcuga Menziesii?) ls listed as stronger, the lighter spruce can give you a tougher spar for a given weight.
    . http://www.wood-database.com/sitka-spruce/
    http://www.wood-database.com/douglas-fir/

Of course, there's still that $2000 issue....
    Thanks Hugh looks like I finnally got my head around (Oregon) Douglas-Fir. Funny but I was always under the impression Sitka is priced higher than Douglas Fir in your part of the woods?

Phil yes to the used rig I still have to see the pictures and receive measurements, it may be from an older Couta boat.

Wee Barkie started of the year right with a little cruise to the Broadwater overnighting in bums bay and Couran cove. Loosely traveling with the Tweed mob , which is our destination tomorrow. Hopefully the Southerly winds will turn for WB which has managed to sail most of the way.

Good stuff Tom. I did see somewhere that northerlies are forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Good stuff Tom. I did see somewhere that northerlies are forecast.
    We left early yesterday morning with light SW winds with WB trailing behind due to our cross border daylight saving time differences . We could not have asked for a more glorious day despite the light winds which started turning more to the SE as we crossed a glassy calm Tweed Bar just.after lunch.
    Looks like we will be seeing the return of the NE tomorrow after a full week of Southerlies which is rather unusual for this time of the year.

Yes, surf's dead flat here too.

But I'm stuck on why WB was trailing behind due to daylight saving ..... ?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Yes, surf's dead flat here too.

But I'm stuck on why WB was trailing behind due to daylight saving ..... ?

Rick
    The simple truth is I am not great at doing a 5am sail wich means it is 6 am for the Tweed guys I sail with.

Unfortunatley irregardless of what side of the daylight saving fence you side with ,our Gold Coast Tweed cross border DS issues complicate business and affect community organazations as well as social interactions.

A complete pain in the butt if you live near the border.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead