Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: First time builder: Candu Junior Mini Tugboat

Default Re: First time builder: Candu Junior Mini Tugboat

I was planning on starting to paint this past weekend and even purchased some oil-based primer, but the guy at the paint store scared me a bit. He was adamant that if I attempted to use non-marine paint on a boat that I would have to repaint every year at best, and at worst the paint would just come off in huge sheets after one day out on the lake. So, I chickened out and decided to let the epoxy cure a little longer and allow for more of the blush to form before I sanded it.

I did set to work glassing the remaining parts and even started construction on the cabin ...

Before I started painting my boat, I also agonized about what paint to use. I almost chose Acrylic water based paint after reading the following article: http://www.simplicityboats.com/latexcarnel.html
    In the end, I also chickened out and decided to use Interlux Brightside paint above waterline and Interlux Pre- Kote primer. Below the waterline, I used Interlux Bottomkote.

So far, I like the results but time will tell how long it will look good. Based on the article I quoted, I very much doubt the paint would come out in huge sheets as your paint dealer said. Houses that are painted with acrylic paint and are exposed year long to brutal elements do not lose paint in 'huge sheets' ��
    I personally think I would have been quite happy with a good quality acrylic paint but I also fell victim to advertising for marine paint ��

Also, FYI for anyone in the future looking to build this boat, at this point I'm at 222 hours and $4737.75 invested.

A rainy, cold weekend. I got a bunch of sanding done but no one wants to see pictures of that.

I did, however, make a first attempt at a hand-made rope fender using the method outlined in The Splicing Handbook. Considering that I used some old cheap camping nylon rope that I had lying around, I think it turned out not too terribly. At the least, it gave me the confidence to order some real rope and try it for real.

More progress ... got my custom cut stainless hawse pipe / scupper trim / scuff plate / misc brightwork or whatever you want to call them. Just need some polishing ...

Got one side of the roof glassed ...

And finally got a coat of primer on the bottom ...

The primer was exciting, but it sure revealed some flaws ...

Busy week here ... it went from 35 at night to 65 in the blink of an eye, and stuff is curing really quickly.

Picked out the final paint colors:

Got some glass on the last panel pieces. Just the deck to make now!

Had a weird issue on the hull top. About a 6" by 3" strip in the center didn't "kick" and two days after I glassed it was still wet. I wiped up as much as I could with a rag and then put more epoxy on top of that section. It seems hard as a rock now. It's not a structural piece and it's well above the waterline so I'm not going to worry about it.

Now it's getting exciting. I cut a fit template out of hardboard for the deck and tacked all the remaining panels in place so I could make sure everything lined up. I'll just need to adjust the deck in a couple of spots by 1/8" or so and I'll be good. I also wanted to make sure all 6'3" 280 lbs of me fit inside well. It's tight but doable. I think it will be fine, but if I could go back I might make the seat boxes 1" lower.

Quote Originally Posted by mirrordude View Post
    Busy week here ... it went from 35 at night to 65 in the blink of an eye, and stuff is curing really quickly.

Had a weird issue on the hull top. About a 6" by 3" strip in the center didn't "kick" and two days after I glassed it was still wet. I wiped up as much as I could with a rag and then put more epoxy on top of that section. It seems hard as a rock now. It's not a structural piece and it's well above the waterline so I'm not going to worry about it.
    just as an FYI, the West System pumps do not last forever. Just because epoxy comes out does not mean the right amount is coming out. I experienced the same thing this year on a different project and it turned out the resin/hardener ratio was wrong and it took forever for the epoxy to set. I replaced the pumps and all is good now.

Maurice

I haven't been posting, but I sure have been working.

Got my 20hp Tohatsu, the price of which stung a bit. A few more gallons of epoxy, too ...

The fit of the deck gave me fits. I cut it three times on the CNC using 1/8" scrap sheets and modifying the program slightly each time until I got the fit I wanted. Now cut for real out of 1/2".

295 hours and $9354.19 in deep now. I had originally planned on about 250 hours and $7K total so I'm definitely over budget. Those reading this in the future preparing for their own build of this gem be warned :-)

The boat sure is starting to attract attention from the neighbors. Almost every night I have some variation on this conversation:

Them: "Is that a boat?"

Me: "It sure is!"

Them: "Like, a *real* boat?"

Me: "Yep"

Them: "Will it float?"

Me: "It's a huge waste of time if it doesn't"

Them: "How can you know for sure?"

Me: "It displaces more water than it weighs, so unless physics has changed recently, it will float. It might leak if I do a crappy job, so I'm trying not to do that."

Them: "Good luck! We're enjoying seeing it progress"

My next door neighbor has borrowed a bunch of my books and is planning on building a drift boat this winter, so the fever is spreading ...

it is posts like this which TELL THE TRUTH about expenses & hours that give me a good feeling

John Q reads an advertisement and a poop sheet for a _______ (you fill in the blank) and he sends off for the plans and buys a bill of supplies and thinke that in exactly __X___ hours he will have the project ready for the water/road/track/mountains...

AND IT AINT LIKE THAT AT ALL

Many Thanks for dragging us along

GOOD PICS & GREAT NARRATIVE

ONWARD > > >

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Well, by the time you are finished, I'm pretty sure it will have cost you about as much as mine did. Mine was about 15K (Canadian dollars mind you), so that amounts to roughly U.S. 12K. The website cost estimate was based on 1970 prices I think plus it only took basic structure into account and not what it takes to really finish a boat. They were also using polyester resin instead of Epoxy and the resin is considerably cheaper, but stinks like hell compared to Epoxy.

As for the amount of time required to finish your boat, you may be surprised by the amount of hours it will take you if you are looking for a glassy finish. After I was done and took the boat out in the sunshine, I was shocked by all the imperfections I could see, but by then, I was so fed up with the sanding, painting, cleaning ad-nauseum that I lowered my expectations and learned to live with the imperfections

Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by mau_ben View Post
    As for the amount of time required to finish your boat, you may be surprised by the amount of hours it will take you if you are looking for a glassy finish. After I was done and took the boat out in the sunshine, I was shocked by all the imperfections I could see, but by then, I was so fed up with the sanding, painting, cleaning ad-nauseum that I lowered my expectations and learned to live with the imperfections
    Well said. I've decided for now that the hull needs to pass a 2 foot test (no obvious problems from 2 feet away), the interior a 3 foot test, and the deck and cabin outer a 1 foot test. I gave up on mirror finish a while ago.

Your advice about the West Systems pumps was spot on ... I bought new pumps and haven't had any more problems, and the difference in pumping smoothness was immediately apparent, so I was probably overdue.

I primed the inside of the cabin "door panel" for lack of a better term (my automotive background is showing). I want to get the hard to reach areas under the deck primed and painted before I attach the deck later this week.

While I was at it with the primer I went around and did the hull underneath the rub rail and the top side of the planing fins. It felt really good to have some visual progress after weeks of trimming blobs and sanding.

I got the aft upper hull side attached last night ... you may have noticed in the previous photos that I had a 1/4" wide and deep trough routed in the top of the rubrail. I had already spent a lot of time fitting that panel, so it was simply a case of filling the trough with thickened epoxy, sliding the panel in, positioning some screws to hold it down, and clamping the top so it would set roughly fair. I pulled the screws out this morning with no issues. My epoxy technique is still improving ... If I had been as careful with the lower as I was with the upper I could have saved myself about 5 hours of sanding and filling.

Oh man it's really coming along. Looks great!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Got some work done on the hatch this weekend, it's almost ready. The deck is in and filleted, just needs some sanding and fairing. The holes in the deck are for cleats, I pre-drilled the holes and put stainless 1/4"-20 inserts into the back before I set the deck in place.

More importantly, I finally finished the trailer this weekend. Finished the wiring, and installed a trailer wiring kit in the MINI, which already had an aftermarket hitch I was using with a bike rack.

Saturday morning I picked up the completed trailer at work and headed over to the only area Secretary of State that is open on Saturday. I had to wait two hours, but I got a permanent plate for the trailer and a registration for the boat.

The hull registration was interesting. I told the lady that I needed to register a boat, and she asked for the title. I told her that I built it myself. She said I needed to provide receipts for the bill of materials so I could prove that state sales tax was paid. I didn't have that, and getting it would be a huge pain, so I told her that and asked if there were any more options. She said that if I certified that the boat was built by me with materials "on hand" that I could still get a hull registration, so that's what I did. So a note to others, at least in Michigan: either keep all your receipts or make sure that you register that you built it using "on hand" materials.

Two tasks that I was dreading complete!

You may want to consider increasing the front windows width to reduce the big blind spots. There is no need for so much framing around the windows. In my case, the window frames are one inch wide, so I cut out the openings on the panels so that there was only 1.5" to the edge of the panel instead of 2" that the plans show. Three inches between windows is still a lot but visually much better than 4 inches in my opinion.

https://flic.kr/p/PDbCmS

Maurice
    Last edited by mau_ben; 06-26-2017 at 09:53 AM.

at least in Michigan: either keep all your receipts
    In Pennsylvania, they want receipts. But they have no idea what it takes to build a boat and don't even look at the boat you've made, so copies of a couple of the bigger bills from the lumber suppliers and maybe the motor and/or sails will do it. I think more important is to save all the receipts should there ever be an insurance claim that needs to be backed up.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    In Pennsylvania, they want receipts. But they have no idea what it takes to build a boat and don't even look at the boat you've made, so copies of a couple of the bigger bills from the lumber suppliers and maybe the motor and/or sails will do it. I think more important is to save all the receipts should there ever be an insurance claim that needs to be backed up.
    i don't know what it is like in the U.S. but in Canada, I had a heck of a time getting boat insurance. All the companies and brokers I went to would not insure a homebuilt boat. Finally, I was lucky to find one who would after getting the boat inspected by a marine surveyor. Apparently, it is much easier getting insurance for a homebuilt airplane than a homebuilt boat

i don't know what it is like in the U.S. but in Canada, I had a heck of a time getting boat insurance.
    I hadn't even thought of this yet, so thanks. I'm assuming I'll need at least liability insurance. Guess I've got some phone calls to make.

Talk to your car and home insurance companies first. There is usually some coverage that extends to small boats for theft and road accidents anyway. Boat US is easy to work with if you want more coverage.
    -Dave

I had quite the busy holiday weekend. My parents were in town visiting, and my Dad was excited to work on the boat with me

First up, he did a bunch of sanding on the cabin assembly. You may notice that although the plans for the cabin sides are one piece, I split them in half so I could finish the roof upside down.

Then, using my MINI's snow tires as impromptu jack stands, we lifted the boat up and got the cradle out.

We sanded the wood back to smooth (lots of epoxy globs on it) and then applied some construction adhesive to the top of the rails

Smoothed out the adhesive with a putty knife, then wrapped everything in outdoor carpet.

Finally, we mounted the frame to the trailer, and slid everything back under the boat. After some fussing around sliding things forward and backward to set the balance of the trailer, we found a spot where we had about 90 lbs of tongue weight without the motor. The motor weighs 139 lbs, and there is a 4.5:1 leverage ratio between the tongue and the transom through the axle, so adding the motor / battery / fuel tank (200 lb approx) should reduce the tongue weight by about 40 lbs, ending us up at about 50 lbs.

That being set, we loaded her up and decided to make sure it would float, and more importantly, that there were no leaks!

My youngest daughter insisted that she be the boat's first passenger. Not to be outdone by his sister, my son went along as well. There's a river access point about a mile from my house, so we decided to wet test there.

My other daughter has been skeptical about this entire endeavor, so she stayed dry. We dropped her in and she slid off the trailer beautifully. Not quite understanding how buoyancy works, my kids stared intently at the motor well, convinced that having a giant hole in the boat was going to be a problem.

I jumped in and we tested it out for about 5 minutes. We jumped up and down, all went to the front, the back, the sides, rocked it, etc. With all three of us leaning over the side it started to twist out of the water. I'm pretty sure if we hadn't moved back to the center quickly we could have rolled it, but once the motor is in I bet it can't happen.

Satisfied, we disembarked and pulled her back onto the trailer with the safety rope that we'd attached. Again, it all went smoothly.

Great success! No issues, no leaks, no apparent problems.
    Last edited by mirrordude; 07-05-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Next up was a thorough power-washing inside and out. We hooked up the bilge pump temporarily and got everything clean.

I picked up some West System 410 fairing filler and we started smoothing some of the rough patches out. This stuff sands really nicely.

The original plans have a straight vertical back to the keel, but the transom is at an angle. This was probably fine with the older engines, but my power tilt 4 stroke Tohatsu needs a larger flat surface, so I installed some cheater strips to mount the motor to. I probably could have just used spacers, but this seemed more secure and was fairly easy to do.

That set, we put a couple of coats of primer on the motor well.

And put a coat on the hull as well, mostly to help find problem areas.

Late in the day we attached the visor to the cabin. I added some support blocks underneath because I'm convinced my girls will want to sit up there at some point.

We finished the day with a trip to the beach at Holland State Park, and admired Big Red from the boardwalk. I hope to get a little closer with the boat on the canal soon!

Sometimes, it's the little details that make you happy ....

I did get some real work done, although it's awfully hot this week. Finished sanding the mast and drilled holes for the hardware, finished sanding the hatch, and finished attaching the visor to the cabin.

isn't it amazing how long the little things take ? !

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Looking good! Thanks for sharing your build.

It was hot last night, but I managed to finish sanding and get a coat of primer on about half of the inside of the boat. Woke up this morning with a headache, despite doing the work in the driveway outside and taking numerous breaks ...

Just curious to know why you did not install the 'shelf' that sits about mid way between the dash and the floor as was shown in the plans. Is that something you plan to do later? If not, do you have something else in mind? Just asking because I find that shelf extremely useful and I would really miss it if it wasn't there.

Maurice

It's there, but I scalloped it back to meet the hatch sides and cabin front, which you can see, and raised it a couple of inches. This way my hatch is deeper than in the plans, and I preserve hand and visual clearance to the area behind the steering, where I'm putting all the wiring connections.

It will be completely hidden behind the trim panel once I get that made, so it won't be accessible for storage, other than the fact that it doubles as the hatch bottom, and my hatch is pretty deep.
    Last edited by mirrordude; 07-12-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Also, in case I ever want to camp out in the boat, I wanted the extra head clearance.

I did think there might have been method behind your madness

Huh!! Did not know you were a contortionist.

Huh!! Did not know you were a contortionist.
    LOL! Actually, on the last page of the plans it shows an idea for how to set it up for sleeping. I thought I'd rather have the board horizontal and sleep with my head in the bow.

Originally, I thought that being able to sleep in it was a neat idea until I installed the seats and realized what a big pain it was to install & remove them since I also installed swivels on the seats. My advice if you want to do that is to make sure you find a way to quickly remove the passenger seat, especially if your seats are marine type seats that are bolted to the seat box. I'm sure there is a way but since I'm neither a camper nor a fisherman anyway, I killed that idea for myself. I tend to prefer nice hotel rooms instead