Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: First time builder: Candu Junior Mini Tugboat

Default Re: First time builder: Candu Junior Mini Tugboat

I was planning on starting to paint this past weekend and even purchased some oil-based primer, but the guy at the paint store scared me a bit. He was adamant that if I attempted to use non-marine paint on a boat that I would have to repaint every year at best, and at worst the paint would just come off in huge sheets after one day out on the lake. So, I chickened out and decided to let the epoxy cure a little longer and allow for more of the blush to form before I sanded it.

I did set to work glassing the remaining parts and even started construction on the cabin ...

Before I started painting my boat, I also agonized about what paint to use. I almost chose Acrylic water based paint after reading the following article: http://www.simplicityboats.com/latexcarnel.html
    In the end, I also chickened out and decided to use Interlux Brightside paint above waterline and Interlux Pre- Kote primer. Below the waterline, I used Interlux Bottomkote.

So far, I like the results but time will tell how long it will look good. Based on the article I quoted, I very much doubt the paint would come out in huge sheets as your paint dealer said. Houses that are painted with acrylic paint and are exposed year long to brutal elements do not lose paint in 'huge sheets' ��
    I personally think I would have been quite happy with a good quality acrylic paint but I also fell victim to advertising for marine paint ��

Also, FYI for anyone in the future looking to build this boat, at this point I'm at 222 hours and $4737.75 invested.

A rainy, cold weekend. I got a bunch of sanding done but no one wants to see pictures of that.

I did, however, make a first attempt at a hand-made rope fender using the method outlined in The Splicing Handbook. Considering that I used some old cheap camping nylon rope that I had lying around, I think it turned out not too terribly. At the least, it gave me the confidence to order some real rope and try it for real.

More progress ... got my custom cut stainless hawse pipe / scupper trim / scuff plate / misc brightwork or whatever you want to call them. Just need some polishing ...

Got one side of the roof glassed ...

And finally got a coat of primer on the bottom ...

The primer was exciting, but it sure revealed some flaws ...

Busy week here ... it went from 35 at night to 65 in the blink of an eye, and stuff is curing really quickly.

Picked out the final paint colors:

Got some glass on the last panel pieces. Just the deck to make now!

Had a weird issue on the hull top. About a 6" by 3" strip in the center didn't "kick" and two days after I glassed it was still wet. I wiped up as much as I could with a rag and then put more epoxy on top of that section. It seems hard as a rock now. It's not a structural piece and it's well above the waterline so I'm not going to worry about it.

Now it's getting exciting. I cut a fit template out of hardboard for the deck and tacked all the remaining panels in place so I could make sure everything lined up. I'll just need to adjust the deck in a couple of spots by 1/8" or so and I'll be good. I also wanted to make sure all 6'3" 280 lbs of me fit inside well. It's tight but doable. I think it will be fine, but if I could go back I might make the seat boxes 1" lower.

Quote Originally Posted by mirrordude View Post
    Busy week here ... it went from 35 at night to 65 in the blink of an eye, and stuff is curing really quickly.

Had a weird issue on the hull top. About a 6" by 3" strip in the center didn't "kick" and two days after I glassed it was still wet. I wiped up as much as I could with a rag and then put more epoxy on top of that section. It seems hard as a rock now. It's not a structural piece and it's well above the waterline so I'm not going to worry about it.
    just as an FYI, the West System pumps do not last forever. Just because epoxy comes out does not mean the right amount is coming out. I experienced the same thing this year on a different project and it turned out the resin/hardener ratio was wrong and it took forever for the epoxy to set. I replaced the pumps and all is good now.

Maurice