Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456 LastLast

Thread: First time builder: Candu Junior Mini Tugboat

Default Re: First time builder: Candu Junior Mini Tugboat

Got the engine mounted earlier this week and made sure my cable routings were good before i attached the roof yesterday ...

Looking good! I do have 2 pieces of advice for you which I learned from experience.

1. If you intend to dock your boat for any amount of time, make sure you reinforce the 2 rear corners of the floor that stick out behind the aft hull. Within a few hours of mine being left docked, the rear corners rubbed against the docks, the Fiberglass got chewed up and the plywood got very wet. I ended up cutting the rear corners and adding some hard rubber. This saved my bacon last weekend when I spent a long time in several locks on the Trent Severn waterway. I would also advise protecting the edge of the plywood as well as the paint will also get damaged if you don't. Mine did and that's why I added some aluminum angle to protect it along the rear deck portion outside the hull. There is almost no way to position a fender that far back in the boat.

2. This is more of an FYI if you intend to have front windows that open. On several occasions when crossing big wakes, the water will go over the bow and drench the front windows. So, if your windows open, make sure you make them so that they swivel from the top and that you can limit how much they open otherwise you will very likely get drenched at some time or other (I did once when my windows were open a bit too much)

Anyway, those are my 2 cents

Maurice

Thanks Maurice ... I think you must be referring to the long metal strips in this picture from your album?

That seems like a good idea. I'll have to see how the boat gets used. Right now I just want to get in the water before summer ends :-)

Summer? What Summer? I don't know about where you are, but here, this has been the crappiest Summer in my memory. I do very well understand the urge to get it finished, but don't take shortcuts. I was so anxious to get mine finished that I forgot to properly seal a corner where the the transom meets the floor and I ended up with a significant water leak on the first day. Easy to fix but very scary and discouraging when it happened.
    Anyway, based on your progress so far, I'm sure you'll be boating soon. Good luck!

Busy weekend ... almost 16 hours of filling and sanding.

Got the cabin rear trim panels installed (picture shows only one complete)

Then got everything sanded, did a skim coat of epoxy with fairing filler on most of the joints, and sanded everything again, followed by a coat of primer.

I also got the motor permanently mounted with stainless bolts and a bunch of silicon in the holes, and spent about 4 hours figuring out the exact routing and drilling holes for the steering system, bilge, battery, fuel, and throttle cables.

All told, my construction log tells me I'm up to 393 hours and just over $10K. I don't expect the cost to change too much, as I have everything I need save a bit more epoxy. Still a lot of work to go, however.

Conversation at the dinner table last night was "If a rich guy offered Dad $100,000 for the boat as soon as it was finished, on the condition that he never gets to drive it, should he take it?"

I told my kids that there are somethings that money can't buy.

Quote Originally Posted by mirrordude View Post
    Busy weekend ... almost 16 hours of filling and sanding.

Then got everything sanded, did a skim coat of epoxy with fairing filler on most of the joints, and sanded everything again, followed by a coat of primer.

Still a lot of work to go, however.
    she looks like a designer's fantasy rendering in this shot ;-)

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Conversation at the dinner table last night was "If a rich guy offered Dad $100,000 for the boat as soon as it was finished, on the condition that he never gets to drive it, should he take it?"

I told my kids that there are somethings that money can't buy.
    Take the money and run. Knowing what I know now, I would let mine go for a heck of a lot less than that. It's a fun boat in calm waters, but it's a beast when the water is very choppy or if there is a lot of boat traffic creating big wakes. Besides being very noisy because of the flat bottom, its shortness makes it very hard to handle in turbulent waters and a lot of work to keep it going straight.

There was one time when my tug literally spun around after a big boat passed too close to me. It scared the daylight out of me, but now I'm used to it but I sure don't enjoy it when other boats get too close for comfort.
    It's not that the tug can't handle it, it's more that I did not expect to be bounced around so much. So now, I try my best to stay out of the water on weekends and/or on windy days. Knowing what I know now, I would not have built mine.
    The main positive I found about it is the reaction of people when they see it. It attracts lots of attention everywhere I go and everybody loves it, especially the kids.

Anyway, these are my experiences based on what my initial expectations were. I don't know what your expectations are but I mentioned this so that you don't get shocked as I did the first time I experienced choppy waters. I wish someone had warned me about what to expect. I am very comfortable now that I know the boat will not capsize under almost any type of lake waters but I certainly had my doubts at the beginning. Still, I would never venture on big lakes such as lake Simcoe or Georgian Bay since those bodies of water can become very dangerous on a short notice.

Having said all that, it is still a lot of fun when cruising in calm waters. Unfortunately for me, this is very rare in lake Muskoka near where I live, so I always have to trailer it to smaller less busy lakes.

Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by mau_ben View Post
    Knowing what I know now, I would not have built mine.
    Sobering advice, but it's probably good to temper my expectations. It's hard not to dream about how incredibly awesome it's going to be when I'm in the middle of sanding drudgery. In fact, it's probably the main thing that gets me through tedious work like that. My primary fear, however, is that my wife is going to get seasick in such a small craft.

If you use the boat for what it can do and not try for more it should be a great fun boat! Carry on!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

great job and i love how you have talked about the learning curve you went thru. will sure follow the completion.

jim

Sobering advice, but it's probably good to temper my expectations. It's hard not to dream about how incredibly awesome it's going to be when I'm in the middle of sanding drudgery. In fact, it's probably the main thing that gets me through tedious work like that. My primary fear, however, is that my wife is going to get seasick in such a small craft.
    I know what you mean about sanding and painting drudgery. The final stages were the toughest for me because you are so near and yet feel so far. The silver lining is that you finally have the end in sight.
    I hope what I said earlier was not too much of a downer. You will have lots of fun with this boat as long as you know its limitations. The reaction of people when they see it is priceless and you will make everyone smile. In hindsight, I should have named mine 'Smile maker' because every single person smiles when they see it.

For my part, I have been pushing my boat very hard at times when I should not have been in the water. I know better now when 'to hold them and when to fold them' as Kenny Rogers said. This is a very small fun boat which should not mingle with the big boys when possible. I now know it can handle rough water and big wakes but I'd rather avoid them, not because I feel unsafe but because it is not very pleasant.

As for your wife getting seasick is concerned, this may not happen at all. My wife is EXTREMELY motion sensitive. I can't drive fast in country roads when there are too many curves or dips, I can't make a fast U turn, and we had to be inside a big ship away from windows in very calm waters during a trip from Miami to Nassau. But surprisingly, she has never felt seasick or even close to it in the tug under any water conditions. Even when docking when she needs to stand up to help with the docking, she never felt motion sickness. Does not make sense to me, but maybe the fresh air helps or whatever. She is as surprised as I am so with a bit of luck, your wife may be pleasantly surprised as well. I think slow rocking motion on a big ship is much worse that quick movements on a small craft.

Anyway, good luck with the rest of your build. You need to get it in the water this year even if not totally finished. You can always put finishing touches over the winter.

Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by MADOC1 View Post
    great job and i love how you have talked about the learning curve you went thru. will sure follow the completion.
    Thanks for the encouragement! I went through and read the entire thread again this morning. I vividly remember struggling with things that seem so natural now. I hope that in the future any would-be beginners that read this are encouraged as well.

My wife and girls are on vacation this week so the work is proceeding furiously ...

I finished the design for the aft seat boxes now that I understand the clearances for the steering mechanism ...

The hole is clearance for the fuel tank on one side and the battery on the other. Horizontal slots for ventilation.

Whipped the parts out on the CNC and glassed them ...

Then I ripped some pink insulation board into 1.25 " deep U sections for the handrail ...

Looks good! I'll sand fillets onto it tonight and hopefully get it glassed over with fiberglass tape.

On another note, I was up North with some friends and saw this at the Coast Guard museum in Glen Haven, MI:

I love the hull on this. The whole thing looks like a Hinckley Picnic Boat to me. The square cabin needs better lines, though.
    Last edited by mirrordude; 08-09-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Got the edges on the gunwhale broken with a nice radius and got a layer of fiberglass on it. I tried to minimize the use of epoxy to avoid runs, so there's a lot of cloth pattern showing. Another coat of epoxy should cover that I hope?

Just when I'm starting to think that I know what I'm doing, I do something new and show what a newb I really am. Wrapping the cloth around the rail didn't stick as well as I liked and I spent about 2 hours working my way around and around the boat resticking the tape to the polyurethane at the bottom edges before I finally put a filled fillet underneath both sides to help (I was hoping to avoid that until after I'd sanded the edges of the tape). Now there's a bunch of places where the cloth bunched up a little due to my endless fussing and will need to be sanded and filled. My mistakes and learning curve seem to mean that a 1 hour job keeps turning into 4 ...

On a positive note, I entered the Holland, MI vintage and wooden boat show on the 26th so now I have a real deadline!

Last edited by mirrordude; 08-11-2017 at 10:05 AM.

It doesn't look like the minitug has much flare forward, which makes sense why it would soak you going through a big wake with the windows open...like Denise mentioned it is a great boat for its intended purpose! I know some of the roughest water I motored in in my old sailboat was in the San Juan Islands during the summer...the wake master powerboats zooming every which way created a confused sea like a washing machine!

Put a skim coat of fairing filler on the gunwhale and sanded, took this picture, and then did it again ...

Sanded the primer on the mast down with 120 grit until it was super smooth ...

Got the vertical aft seat boxes placed. I decided to make some airtight compartments at the back since I didn't need that much room and more flotation near the motor seemed prudent ...

And did about 5 hours more fairing and sanding on the hull. I'm either the worst carpenter in existence or I'm overly fussy. I suppose we'll know the answer after the paint goes on ...

Dude,
    You're being overly fussy. Which is good.

Boat is looking great. You will be glad you fussed over making it look so nice.

Peace,
    Robert

I got a coat of paint on most of the boat before we went away for the weekend ...

A lot of work over the last week. I painted the interior and installed the fuel tank, battery, throttle cables, steering, and bilge pump ...

When I registered it they told me I needed a VIN permanently attached so I made a little builder's plate ...

Took a hairdryer to the engine and removed most of the decals while my son painted the windows ...

And I made and painted the instrument panel trim ...

And on Saturday I had the opportunity to display it in it's unfinished (windows were still too tacky to get installed) but near-complete state at the Holland, MI vintage and wood boat show ...

My daughter helped me talk about the boat and show it off ...

The MINI pulled her no problems. About 75 mph on the freeway on the way there I started to feel the wind on the load big time, but cruising at 65 mph it was no problem.

My wife was following me on the way home in our minivan and she said she was concerned about whiplash for all the people I passed.

Good times! Getting near the end now ...

Two jobs last night, one much more technical than the other. Installed the cupholders and made about 90% of the electrical wiring and routing.

Mounted the horn and mast, learned to tie a halyard knot and strung the flags.

Installed the windows and frames, including two which slide.

Applied the hull registration and name decals.

Installed the scupper trim, deck cleats, bitt, and got the hatch closing properly.

Installed a remote fuel guage and sending unit.

Painted the visor and touched up just about everything else.

So, so, so close .... just need to touch up the dash trim and install the steering wheel and we should be functional.

The Lord willing, we'll be watching tonight's sunset from the comfort of a finished boat.

steve

Dude,

You rock. Too bad your life is ruined, now.

What's next? Because, we ALL know you're already planning.

I hope your first real cruise is 10,000 times better than you hoped!

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    You rock. Too bad your life is ruined, now.
    My life will only be ruined if the motor doesn't start or has issues. It's the only thing I haven't tested yet.

What's next? Because, we ALL know you're already planning.
    I'm not allowed to build another boat ... but if I were, in say 5 years, make one for doing the Great Loop ...

https://bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=DE25Cockpit

I hope your first real cruise is 10,000 times better than you hoped!
    Thanks!

My life will only be ruined if the motor doesn't start or has issues. It's the only thing I haven't tested yet.

I'm not allowed to build another boat ... but if I were, in say 5 years, make one for doing the Great Loop ...

Thanks!
    I meant ruined in the sense that you are even THINKING about building another boat. Already.
    Hehe. It'll happen.

The Great Loop would be a bunch of fun. There is a nice story of rowing it called On The Water, I think. I read it many moons ago.

Can't wait to see the launch pics! Have a great time in the tug.

Peace,
    Robert

Beautiful job! Nice colours.
    Still have hour count?
    I'm thinking of reverting to Junior. Actually already bought the plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonas View Post
    Beautiful job! Nice colours.
    Still have hour count?
    I'm thinking of reverting to Junior. Actually already bought the plans.
    Right around 475 I think. I've got some updating to do but in a few days I'm going to do a whole cost and time breakdown for the edification and/or amusement of future builders.

Thanks!
    knottybouys is building a stretched version of that boat. He has a build blog and a post on trawlerforum about it.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...kon-15431.html
    http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

Right around 475 I think. I've got some updating to do but in a few days I'm going to do a whole cost and time breakdown for the edification and/or amusement of future builders.
    That's quite a lot, comparing with mr. designer. And that was with cnc! My estimation of 500 maybe requires some rethinking. Will be waiting for numbers. Anyway, great job again, sad that You are not allowed to build another.

And .... she's done!

My wife seems happy about it!

Got a cake to celebrate and had a christening party with friends.

We called her Gravy because:

A) Gravy Boat. C'mon.
    B) You don't need a boat. But like gravy, it's something extra that makes life nice.

The dream is realized! Big Red lighthouse in Holland, MI, viewed from my very own boat.

Spent labor day powerwashing literally everything in the garage to get the epoxy and sanding dust off.

And for the first time in about 4 months, everything fits back inside!

THANKS FOR DRAGGING US ALONG!

posting pics of the stages and progress REALLY ADDED to the thread

sw

steve

A heat gun will lift epoxy right off concrete...

Dude! Your boat is so cool! Congratulations on doing it.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. When I was a bike messenger, gravy was what we called easy, well paying jobs. Having a bag full of gravy (like 1,000 payroll checks, each counted as a separate delivery, all to the same address, six floors down in the same building, and all super hot rushes, so worth 3x a normal tag) was the best day.

Very cool! It looks like you had a great maiden voyage. Gravy!