X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mirrordude
    Displaced Canuck
    • Jun 2016

Re: First time builder: Candu Junior Mini Tugboat

A little fun with Photoshop showing what I see when I look at the work in progress ...

Comment

• mirrordude
      Displaced Canuck
      • Jun 2016

No progress on the boat itself but I did get some flags in the mail that will fly from the mast. (That's Friesland on the right)

Comment

• mirrordude
        Displaced Canuck
        • Jun 2016

Still working on winter projects. I got a Harbor Freight boat trailer last week and got it put together on Saturday. Looks good, but the lights don't work. I knew I should have run a ground wire ... using a painted trailer frame as a ground seemed like a bad idea.

Comment

• Paul356
          • Nov 2010

I've just been working on my HF trailer. I ran ground wires along each side, picking up the marker lights and tying off at the tail lights. Made a big difference. The HF trailer seems like it will be just right for your tug.

Comment

• mirrordude
            Displaced Canuck
            • Jun 2016

I'm back in action now that the temperature is consistently over 40. In fact it was 80 on Friday and Saturday ... what a change from a week ago, but that's Michigan for you.

First item was a complete sanding of the boat to get that waxy coating off of it since I haven't touched it much in 5 months.

Next, I cut and temporarily placed the pieces I needed for the fiberglass I never finished at the nose area before it got too cold in the fall ...

That seemed to go on very nicely ...

Next I purchased some 1" x 1/8" strips of pine molding and laid them out to continue the rubrail forward to the stem ...

I slid them in and out on the nails until I had them in a very nice curve ....

Comment

• mirrordude
              Displaced Canuck
              • Jun 2016

In at least one spot I discovered that my panel fairing had left a little to be desired, but it's way too late now ...

I left a little gap at the stem so I could use filled epoxy to fill it in nicely ...

I squished some epoxy in, let it set for a few hours, then removed the nails and stretched a piece over the top to make the finished surface ...

Tonight I'll remove these nails, squish some more filled epoxy into the areas that sagged, and fix up the fillet to the rubrail. Then hopefully I'll be on to sanding this weekend ...

Comment

• Powerwagon
                Lurker
                • Oct 2014

Thanks for sharing your build! That looks like it will be a cool little boat when you're done. The CNC machine is a cool twist to the usual construction and it's interesting to see the strengths of such precision cutouts.

I agree with previous posters that an automatic bilge pump is a good idea, especially if you're going to have a battery in the boat anyway. The Masonite hull panel is kinda crazy but it's amazing how strong materials can be depending on how they are used, especially in laminate. Looking forward to seeing it zooming around the lake!

Comment

• mirrordude
                  Displaced Canuck
                  • Jun 2016

My wife has pretty much finalized the colors she wants ....

Comment

• swoody126
                    • Oct 2013

Originally posted by mirrordude
                    My wife has pretty much finalized the colors she wants ....

YOU HAVE YOUR ORDERS... ;-)

sw
                    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Comment

• Woxbox
                      • Feb 2006

That's​ pretty, but where's the pudding?
                      -Dave

Comment

• mirrordude
                        Displaced Canuck
                        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Woxbox
                        That's​ pretty, but where's the pudding?
                        It's coming, don't worry :-) Not on the "Need or it won't float" list though.

Comment

• mirrordude
                          Displaced Canuck
                          • Jun 2016

I made a pretty cool discovery yesterday ... the cabin side panels I still needed to make fit almost exactly in the scrap hull sides that I bent the wrong way ...

After another 4 hours last night of shaping the forward rubrails and sanding smooth the edges of the fiberglass I laid earlier in the week, I was able to lay a thin coat of epoxy over the entire bottom up to the rubrail. I put it on with a spreader and then spent an hour carefully brushing the surface with an old paintbrush to eliminate bubbles as the coating gelled up. Woke up this morning and the whole thing is smooth as glass and ready for paint (primer) tomorrow ...

Comment

• mirrordude
                            Displaced Canuck
                            • Jun 2016

I was planning on starting to paint this past weekend and even purchased some oil-based primer, but the guy at the paint store scared me a bit. He was adamant that if I attempted to use non-marine paint on a boat that I would have to repaint every year at best, and at worst the paint would just come off in huge sheets after one day out on the lake. So, I chickened out and decided to let the epoxy cure a little longer and allow for more of the blush to form before I sanded it.

I did set to work glassing the remaining parts and even started construction on the cabin ...

Comment

• mau_ben
                              • Feb 2016

Before I started painting my boat, I also agonized about what paint to use. I almost chose Acrylic water based paint after reading the following article: http://www.simplicityboats.com/latexcarnel.html
                              In the end, I also chickened out and decided to use Interlux Brightside paint above waterline and Interlux Pre- Kote primer. Below the waterline, I used Interlux Bottomkote.

So far, I like the results but time will tell how long it will look good. Based on the article I quoted, I very much doubt the paint would come out in huge sheets as your paint dealer said. Houses that are painted with acrylic paint and are exposed year long to brutal elements do not lose paint in 'huge sheets' ��
                              I personally think I would have been quite happy with a good quality acrylic paint but I also fell victim to advertising for marine paint ��

Comment

• mirrordude
                                Displaced Canuck
                                • Jun 2016

Also, FYI for anyone in the future looking to build this boat, at this point I'm at 222 hours and $4737.75 invested.

Comment

Working...