Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56

Thread: First time builder: Candu Junior Mini Tugboat

Default Re: First time builder: Candu Junior Mini Tugboat

Well done
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Fantastic, great to see it all done! Makes me jealous. I've got a long way to go on mine, but slowly plugging away at it.

Updates coming soon, I've had some issues with engine and transom height, but I'm having too much fun to worry about that stuff ... I can fix it during the winter.

For now, enjoy this sunset on Lake Michigan ...

And they opened the drawbridge in Grand Haven for me ... OK, actually for the 60' boat that crossed over from Wisconsin that was right behind me in the channel ...

Nice Grand River Cruise ....

And another Lake Michigan sunset ...

Last edited by mirrordude; 09-18-2017 at 03:17 PM.

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Cool
    -Dave

I'm back! We had a fantastic fall in Michigan and I was able to use the boat well into October. Here's a picture from reloading after a color tour on Hardy Dam Pond:

And the last sunset of the year as seen from the water (October 21!):

Last weekend I unstacked the winter detritus from around the boat, made a couple of minor repairs, and took it out on the Grand River for a spring shakedown cruise with my daughters.
    Of course the trailer lights don't work. Why would they? Add it to the list ...

Over the next couple of weeks I'm going to add a bunch of flotation to the rear fins, as discussed earlier in this build thread. With three or more people in the boat, water often floods in over the inboard engine mount transom. I calculated that the 4" of foam over that area should give me about 125 lbs of extra lift under the rear seats and engine.

So last night, I got the sander busy taking some paint off so I can get good adherence to the underlying glass ....

The Spring Lake boat show is June 2. The goal is to have this project and all cosmetic issues fixed by then.

Same here, it's updates like this that really keep you working

Phill

Work progresses on the added flotation:

Did a bunch of sanding on it last night as well, and glassed the joints. Painted the whole thing with epoxy as well.

As promised, a summary of time and hours, including the estimate for what I have yet to do:

Planning: 56 hours planning, reading books, and building CAD model. $100 for plans.
    Wood: 84 hours cutting, $1000 for wood.
    Epoxy: 113 hours gluing and fiberglassing. $4000 for epoxy and fiberglass. (about 15 gallons of West System bought retail, as well as fillers and all fiberglass)
    Sanding: 125 hours. $200 for supplies.
    Paint: 50 hours. $500.
    Hardware: 24 hours installing. $500 for stainless parts including scupper plates, bell, switches, wheel.
    Trailer: 30 hours building and wiring. $700.
    Motor: $3500
    New Tools: $500 (includes lots of clamps)

Totals: 482 hours, $11,000.

At $40 per hour labor, 482 hours is $20K. So all told I guess this boat (and the experience of building it) is worth about $30K to me :-)
    Last edited by mirrordude; 06-04-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Got the new boxes constructed, glassed, and epoxied, and finished opening up the rear engine clearance to allow water through with no obstructions. I think the shape turned out pretty well.

I tossed around several ideas for how to transition the "waterline" to the new fin thickness and ended up with a stylistic line that in no way represents the actual waterline anymore. I think it turned out pretty well, it conveys an idea of forward motion.

I've got the cap rail painted since I took this picture, and I polished up all the hardware but have yet to reattach it. I also did a major cleaning of the interior yesterday. I may need to cover her with a tarp next winter. It's amazing how much dust and leaves got into the cabin.

I've got the afternoon off ... need to put the dash back together after some paint touchups and a new horn switch, and need to rewire the trailer and put the stainless hardware back on. Should be doable, but it's our anniversary today (27 years!) so a dinner with my wife is definitely in order.

I think it looks great, you got that transition just right

Phill

I managed to get everything sorted on Friday and we had a great time at the Spring Lake Boat Show.

My personal favorite was this Hacker-Craft:

A couple of nice Chris-Crafts:

And, of course, Gravy:

We took her out the channel into Lake Michigan after the show. The addition of the aft boxes really made a difference to the way she sat in the water with three people aboard, and improved the handling. To further improve the performance, a couple of people at the show suggested that I raise the engine about 3-4 inches to make the cavitation plate even with the bottom of the hull, and not the bottom of the box keel where it is now. I'll probably try that soon.

I had a mechanic inspect my engine installation and he said I had the throttle cable nut set incorrectly and wasn't getting full travel. He also echoed the advice I'd gotten at the boat show that the whole engine should be raised, so I did that. What a difference! With myself and one passenger 130 lbs or less, the boat eases up onto plane and I've hit 22 knots (25mph) pretty reliably. Any more weight and it just rears up and pushes a big wave. I may try relocating the battery to the front hatch to change that a little bit, but I'm thrilled with the difference. Cruising speed is now about 6 knots as opposed to 4, and with the idle set correctly coming in to the pier is much less stressful. It just goes to show that paying an expert is usually worth the money ....

I'll have to make some modifications to the back seats now, as raising the motor has totally changed the cable and steering bar routing. Sounds like another spring project ....

In the meantime, a nice long summer here has meant plenty of time out on the water ....

that "whale tail" is beginning to grow on me(specially when the top surface is @ the water line)

glad things are smoothing out

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I don't mind the look of it, plus it does it's job which is even better

Phill