Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678 ... LastLast

Thread: Centennial

Default Re: Centennial

Shearwater catamaran.

Gravity bending (vs steam bending!)
    here are the rails taking a li'l pre bend before installation, another day or so and they should be ready to go on... the light rain we've had for the past day prolly does not hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Like Gojira in Tokyo son!... I have to be for a July launch.
    The fact you used the proper name concerns me. And pleases me!

My oldest son is called Quadzilla, both after his size, and his love for good monster movies.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    The fact you used the proper name concerns me. And pleases me!

My oldest son is called Quadzilla, both after his size, and his love for good monster movies.

Peace,
    Robert

I was a huge creature double feature fan back in the day, we'll have to have Quadzilla out for a sail!

I've got the mast stump collar for the canvas mast boot on the deck, a coat of finish paint, white, on the king plank and coamings, hoping to get the rails on and deck oiled this weekend, the hatch covers and waterways will be a blue grey. (no new photos at the moment)

toe rails going... ON!

also was tinkering around with a deck collar for the mast to make that mast boot water tight when taking green water over the bow.

Very nice Dan. She is really starting to come together now!

thanks Ned, exactly one month to go until Launch Day. got to get her topsides painted by then... Red White and Blue!

Going with the original red sheer strake, white binder, and the rest of the hull blue? Or reverse it with blue sheer strake, red hull? You do that then the bottom paint would blend in... Anyway, the paint on the original has obviously faded over time so you can pick a kick ass red and blue. A Kirby or Marshall cove semi or flat would be my choice. Deck looks like it was painted maybe a grey?
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

How wide are the seams between the deck planks? Is that to account for swelling? What will you fill the seams with? Will the rails get drain holes?
    -- wade

yes, original paint scheme, red on top...

the red and blue are quite dark, intentionally, there is a (as far as I have seen) un published photo in the Cape Anne Museaum archives of Centennial set up on display prolly about 1900+ black and white photo, and the blue and red stripes are so dark they look black... there is also a photo of her all white with a black rub rail, but how many chances do I get to paint a dory striped with color? got to do it... I did consider a black hull and red bottom, maybe some day if i get bored of the stripes

deck will be oiled with blue grey waterways.

the seams are narrower than a pencil and wider than a quarter... they will be payed with hot pitch.

Drain holes!!! everyone including me asks that question Wade... apparently your dory does not need drain holes to sail across the Atlantic ocean!... Johnsons Centannial has none. I think I'll try it with none but I have left room between screw locations to cut a few in the rail, should be simple to do any time down the line.

... latest bit o' progress, got the sculling notch cut!
    Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 06-04-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Drain holes!!! everyone including me asks that question Wade... apparently your dory does not need drain holes to sail across the Atlantic ocean!... Johnsons Centannial has none. I think I'll try it with none but I have left room between screw locations to cut a few in the rail, should be simple to do any time down the line.
    Interesting. How were the decks on the original looking? Maybe she rolls so much that water does not stay on deck? I would be tempted with just a single pencil sized hole at the lowest point, but as you suggest, something that could be done later if you find water pooling on the deck. Looking good!

Back in the day there was stuff called Prussian Blue that was pretty dark. And I suspect that the red tended towards the maroon. Both of these end up like Centennial over long time. If there was lots of money around a paint sample from the original would go to painting conservators and they could get the original colors. Painting conservators have done the research on Victorian building colors with the result that there are now better more intense palettes for late 19th century buildings. Are you going to guess for a waterline and antifoul or is there data?

You'll have fun on the pitch. Figure you have done it before so you know the merits of having someone around to help, keeping the pitch hot and passing the funnels. Biggest hassle is avoiding getting it where you don't want it to keep the clean up time under control. Might be a place on the boat for the beeswax rosin mixture that Wade wrote about in WB. Great stuff.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Interesting. How were the decks on the original looking? Maybe she rolls so much that water does not stay on deck? I would be tempted with just a single pencil sized hole at the lowest point, but as you suggest, something that could be done later if you find water pooling on the deck. Looking good!
    I added some finger sized scupper tubes to the corners of the punt deck, where the little toenrails caught water.

I drilled down at a slight angle, then slid copper tube with one end flared out by preening with a hammer. The other end of the tub was peeled in situ. The result looks pretty slick, which surprised me, because I did it.

Anyway. One way to get that cat fur.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post

when a dory rolls it's her way of complaining about the sailing skills o' the sailor... but I understand your point, this hull will likely sail with her rail near or at the water most of the time, at this angle water collecting behind the rail will likely be minimal.

Her deck looks ok, badly checked very wide planks with open seams, but no obvious extra deterioration at the rail... OK, for a 140 year old trans Atlantic sail and oar boat... I do get the feeling that she went through a period of neglect, likely after Johnson passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Back in the day there was stuff called Prussian Blue that was pretty dark. And I suspect that the red tended towards the maroon. Both of these end up like Centennial over long time. If there was lots of money around a paint sample from the original would go to painting conservators and they could get the original colors. Painting conservators have done the research on Victorian building colors with the result that there are now better more intense palettes for late 19th century buildings. Are you going to guess for a waterline and antifoul or is there data?

You'll have fun on the pitch. Figure you have done it before so you know the merits of having someone around to help, keeping the pitch hot and passing the funnels. Biggest hassle is avoiding getting it where you don't want it to keep the clean up time under control. Might be a place on the boat for the beeswax rosin mixture that Wade wrote about in WB. Great stuff.
    you'll have to give me your thoughts on the paint when you see her in the flesh, nice thing about paint it's one of the easiest things to change

it's actually my first time with pitch, well second but the first was just a (good sized) hatch cover for a fishing vessel rebuild. I have used the raosin and bees wax extensivly, wonderfull stuff, a little pricy to fill in the volume of the deck seams, mabey in some of the bungs and puttying screw heads.

oh, the water line will be the second plank lap, I'll paint the blue bottom up to there.

got to get the SRR 2nd round info in the mail back to Tom today... got to run!

things are happening fast at the moment, less than a month left till launch, too many details and tricks o' the trade to go into at this point but if anyone has a question I'd be happy to try and answer...

some times we just need to set down a plane or a paint brush, step back, take a deep breath and take it all in...

Centennial is taking shape.

Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 06-07-2017 at 05:24 AM.

Pretty!

you'll have to give me your thoughts on the paint when you see her in the flesh, nice thing about paint it's one of the easiest things to change

it's actually my first time with pitch, well second but the first was just a (good sized) hatch cover for a fishing vessel rebuild. I have used the raosin and bees wax extensivly, wonderfull stuff, a little pricy to fill in the volume of the deck seams, mabey in some of the bungs and puttying screw heads.

oh, the water line will be the second plank lap, I'll paint the blue bottom up to there.

got to get the SRR 2nd round info in the mail back to Tom today... got to run!
    We made some pitch funnels into which we could ladle the hot stuff. But critical was having two sets of hands so things stayed hot. Some blue tape along side the seams may make clean up easier. Assume that you are going in over a rolled in thread of cotton.
    Ben Fuller

We made some pitch funnels into which we could ladle the hot stuff. But critical was having two sets of hands so things stayed hot. Some blue tape along side the seams may make clean up easier. Assume that you are going in over a rolled in thread of cotton.
    nice tips Ben, that should help making the calking process a little smoother... I'm dreading getting pitch all over the deck!

rolled her out in the sun today to dry the oil on the deck and installed the foot well in the steering hatch... hard to see at this angle.

also I have cut another bowsprit blank, I have the original all painted and varnished up... but it's too light 2x2" this new blank is 2x3 and looks a lot better, the old sprit may become a topmast, or I could cut it down a bit and make it into a boom for a self tending jib... decisions decisions!

As I recall on the homemade pitch funnels we made a little guide, don't remember what it was, maybe a bit of rod brazed on. Some kinf of finger to help with the aim. Back in the day there were actual pitch funnels that could be bought.
    Ben Fuller

As I recall on the homemade pitch funnels we made a little guide, don't remember what it was, maybe a bit of rod brazed on. Some kinf of finger to help with the aim. Back in the day there were actual pitch funnels that could be bought.
    used a knife blade as a guide while spackling the pitch home, masking tape suggestion was a life saver!

also showing in the foreground is a hand hammered galvy bowsprit/bobstay fitting!

nd
    coaming around standing well... Installed.

also located a couple ornate cast iron brackets to mount the stove on today, should work the charm.

Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 06-11-2017 at 08:30 PM.

used a knife blade as a guide while spackling the pitch home, masking tape suggestion was a life saver!

also showing in the foreground is a hand hammered galvy bowsprit/bobstay fitting!

nd
    coaming around standing well... Installed.

also located a couple ornate cast iron brackets to mount the stove on today, should work the charm.

just testing the fit in the focasle'!

Looking good there, Dan! Well done!

Jim

She looks great! Yep, she's a big dory for you to fit up forward like that.

thanks guys!

little more progress, chain plates fabricated and fitted, fore stay attachment installed and some color on the hull...

Dude that's a ship, bro. For real ship.

yeah!

I even made up some tiny cross trees for the shrouds to hang from... just couldn't resist.

APPROVED.

I mean, you still have that salty anchor, right? Wow man. You need a pipe. Here's my favorite picture of you in command:

Oh and if that's the fo'c'sle quarters, you can forget about having me stand before the mast, I want an officer's commission.

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    APPROVED.

I mean, you still have that salty anchor, right? Wow man. You need a pipe. Here's my favorite picture of you in command:

that was a good day.

Color came out nice. At some point blue antifoul?
    Ben Fuller

Color came out nice. At some point blue antifoul?
    at all points blue... anti foul

got to get some flatner additive for the final coat of red.

Great job Daniel, fast too! Really looking forward to seeing you sailing it.
    whatever rocks your boat

Splash at Mystic? Fire up the pipes and drums?
    Ben Fuller

Splash at Mystic? Fire up the pipes and drums?
    she'll be going into Essex County waters here in Massachusetts, within sight (on a clear day) of the her originals port, the town of Gloucester. on ... July 4th of course, I have invited a great great great grandson of Alfred "Centennial" Johnsen to attend (awaiting a response). should be fun! Ill have her in for the day, maybe over night and a short shake down sail and trim/ballast adjustment.

it's likely her first serious sailing will be on Blue Hill Bay at the SRR... I'm on the list #67.

That's a great job Daniel, I really like the workboat finish. I recently found an old post of yours on a 15ft slack bilged little smack, and would like to see the pics of the model you made. The post was back several years and so had disappeared (2013 I think) She looked like the old "snarleyow" in plywood.
    I hope this is not considered a highjack of your thread. Ray.