Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 456 ... LastLast

Thread: Centennial

Default Re: Centennial

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Dan, I am sure that you will remember to make a little box or trough to guide the mast into the step. I know that you can stand in the forward hatch and see what you are doing but there might be times that isn't so convenient.

Is the mast not fixed in a tabernacle?

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Is the mast not fixed in a tabernacle?
    If there is a tabernacle then disregard the note about the mast box. However, I've seen too many nicely built decked boats that don't have one. I retrofitted one to the ducker and did the same to the Harrier were I can see what I am doing but would rather feel for it if stepping and unstepping in a seaway like they did on whaleboats.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Yup, Tabernackle time!... just got to get the bow sprit out of the way so we can see the construction details.

Are those outboard ends of the deck beam held with a single fastening?

I put a tabernacle on my gaff rigged sloop and loved it. Made stepping the mast easy work.
    I see the holes for the pivot pin on yours, but will you have a locking pin at the bottom to keep it upright while you attach the stays? I also sloped the base of the tabernacle and cut the foot of the mast at a matching angle so that once raised, the mast couldn't continue forward and come crashing down on the foredeck before I got my locking pin in place.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Are those outboard ends of the deck beam held with a single fastening?
    it sure looked like it! but remember when Johnson decked his boat he was in a hurry to get her completed for the crossing and probably wasnt thinking the boat would be around 140 years later being coppied by builders and posted for critique on the World Wide Web!... I'm going with belt and suspenders for this build, the frames that don't land on a hanging or lodging knee are also getting glued and the geometry of the hull also holds them in place. I'm just now trying to figure where the stove stack will come through the deck between the beams, Ill need that for extending cruising in my area into that 4th season... brrrrr

Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 04-22-2017 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I put a tabernacle on my gaff rigged sloop and loved it. Made stepping the mast easy work.
    I see the holes for the pivot pin on yours, but will you have a locking pin at the bottom to keep it upright while you attach the stays? I also sloped the base of the tabernacle and cut the foot of the mast at a matching angle so that once raised, the mast couldn't continue forward and come crashing down on the foredeck before I got my locking pin in place.
    hmmmmm that may be a idea well worth it's salt. The stays should remain conected typically and will certainly be made fast before raising the mast, so the shrouds will prevent the mast overextending, and the forestay will be set on a pulley with line led back to the cockpit so that the forestay can be used to raise and lower the mast from the cockpit... but it might be nice to have a locking bolt anyway, as long as I remember to remove it in advance before shooting low bridges!

Here's how I built my tabernackle. Mine was just for ease of raising and lowering once a season, not for dropping repeatedly to go under bridges. The sloped heel of the mast prevented the mast from flopping forward and the locking pin meant I could raise the mast, slip the locking pin in place and then go leisurely about the task of setting up the stays. Not my idea, I believe I got it from Chappelle's "Boatbuilding".

did your mast have stay/shrouds as well? I think what your sketching makes alot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    did your mast have stay/shrouds as well? I think what your sketching makes alot of sense.
    The mast had a single set of spreaders with one main stay on each side. Single forestay.

ply under deck going on!

ply under deck on!... planking begins...

You've been building this boat in a traditional manner with the exception of the plywood sub deck (which is a good idea). Will the deck planking be epoxied down and what is the final deck finish?

Looking good Daniel, you are moving right along.
    How are you planning on finishing the interior? Oil paint, or something else? Maybe this has already been asked not sure.

You've been building this boat in a traditional manner with the exception of the plywood sub deck (which is a good idea). Will the deck planking be epoxied down and what is the final deck finish?
    you see why I've been following your launch build, especially the deck with such interest. the deck is nailed and glued with TIII... not sure if I would go with epoxy if I did it again, the TIII caused problems with the fairly thinn planks cupping, untill the glue dried, now it's flattened out just fine...

I am considering what sort of calk to use between the planks, decisions decisions, phenoseal, boat life... or hot pitch like the old timers...

the deck finish will be a clear oil based deck/siding stain. the king plank will be painted and the watwerways along the rails will also get paint, a light blue gray.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt young View Post
    Looking good Daniel, you are moving right along.
    How are you planning on finishing the interior? Oil paint, or something else? Maybe this has already been asked not sure.
    the underside of the deck, deck beams and sheer strake inside are white, nxt 2 strakes are finished with a clear stain... which has been a life saver because the glue does not stick to it so all the glue drips are easy to pop off! and the garboard plank and bottom will be painted a fiddlers green. she will have 2 simple bunks that can be folded back to become seats either side of the centerboard box, stowage under, a chart board and nav/saftey equip dry goods stowage to starboard, a cook box, small ice chest, closet rod for wet gear hangar to port, and center under the bridge deck will be a small coal stove. Forward of the mast under the hatch will be a bucket head and stowage for sails, line and anchor gear and sea droughes/ storm oil bags etc...

is this a scene from Honey I Shrunk the Kids? Dory's are not supposed to be this big!

Yes, she is a lot of dory! ...and she looks great!

Wow, that is a big dory. When the wind dies, I'd hate to have to row something that big.
    What's the neat little skiff behind you?

Wow, that is a big dory. When the wind dies, I'd hate to have to row something that big.
    What's the neat little skiff behind you?
    ... but then again, when the wind dies is probably the only time you would want to row this dory, look at the windage! She is what she is, a easily trailerable, shoal draft, blue water, off shore, passage maker, sail and oar boat. My concern with this boat is less about no wind and more about going against the tide coming into a river or estuary from the sea.

oh yea... Duck punt.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...sland-Sound-MA

Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 05-12-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Yes, she is a lot of dory! ...and she looks great!
    thanks!

storm oil bags etc...
    Are you serious? How much stowage space are you providing for oil? Did Blackburn carry one and did he ever use it?

Are you serious? How much stowage space are you providing for oil? Did Blackburn carry one and did he ever use it?

oil can be highly effective for quieting a steep and dangerous sea, my experience with this was borne out when a friend dumped oil in our local estuary environment, within seconds the small cove we were at turned from confused breaking chop and waves crashing on a pebbel beach to a smooth mill pond like surface, this with only a cup or so full of oil!

the placid water did not last though, within seconds a buble burst in the middle of the cove, then another and another, the water was ruffled and then torn by a minnow/ mumichug feeding frenzy as the hungry minnows (pound for pound more voracious predators than a Horse Mackrel) devoured the oil and filled their stomaches... apparently Minnows LOVE peanut oil!

I'm having a budy of mine who is excelent with sheet metal solder me up a tin holding tank that should nest neatly under the deck way up in the bow, with a spicot for filling bags... for display purposes only!
    Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 05-14-2017 at 07:45 AM.

You need to find a vintage oiler . That may be difficult though, I've casually kept my eyes open for decades for one, the few I have come across have been quite pricy.
    (For those that don't know what an oiler looks like, they were conical shaped galvanized sheet metal cans with a handle and filling cap on the round flat surface and a Pet-cock on the pointed end. They were often used in conjunction with a sea anchor, and would nest inside the sea anchor when used.)

is this a scene from Honey I Shrunk the Kids? Dory's are not supposed to be this big!

--- Now that puts things into perspective! Eagerly following this project.... -- Wade

thanks Wade, just mocking up the cabin top today, Im building a little trunk cabin to bolt on over top of the cargo hatch when I'll be sailing alone or with one other crew, this optional structure will be held down by 12 carrige bolts through the deck and along the cabins inner edge, I'm planing on 3 round or dimond port lights, and a centerline hatch for easy access to the sleeping, navigation and galley area below deck.

here's hoping we can meet up during the Schooner Fest for a sail.

thanks Wade, just mocking up the cabin top today, Im building a little trunk cabin to bolt on over top of the cargo hatch when I'll be sailing alone or with one other crew, this optional structure will be held down by 12 carrige bolts through the deck and along the cabins inner edge, I'm planing on 3 round or dimond port lights, and a centerline hatch for easy access to the sleeping, navigation and galley area below deck.

here's hoping we can meet up during the Schooner Fest for a sail.
    --- That all sounds good! If I can't see this boat at the Schooner Festival, I will need to make a special appointment to see it :-) -- Wade

I really like the idea of a small bolt on trunk cabin. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    I really like the idea of a small bolt on trunk cabin. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    yeah, Im looking to keep it as simple as possible this time, just git er done. I will see how this cabin top works and adjust accordingly, I'm just doing something simple, the sides are 6+- inches high with a fairly steep arch to the cabin top, up to 8+ inches... this may be too low but Ill find out.

cabin is on hold for the moment... bottom time!

Time to cut the centerboard slot? Is that your mast tabernackle in the backround?

Time to cut the centerboard slot? Is that your mast tabernackle in the backround?
    you're good!

and yes that's the tabernackle.

How did you roll her? Beer and friends or solo and a system?
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

you're good!

and yes that's the tabernackle.

Those sandals make me worry about you. You know I have a tan line from those things, right?

I think your boat is awesome. The moreso because you do. I sincerely hope she brings you a lifetime of safe travels and grand adventures, and that she is all you wished for.

Peace,
    Robert

my father droped by the shop and we both got her up on the rail, then he went around and balanced it while i went around and then we lowered her down on stem and transom pads... true to for like any good banks dory she went over real easy till her rail was down... then to get her up on the rail was about all we could do, another 30 lbs and we would have needed another person or some clever blocking and a jack... I will not be able to do this with her once the weighted centerboard is installed, untill then she's just a little bit bigger banks dory.

the beer and friends (actually family) was last week pulling her out of the shop... so nice to have my shop back! the table saw is inside out of the rain for the first time in 3 years!

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Those sandals make me worry about you. You know I have a tan line from those things, right?

I think your boat is awesome. The moreso because you do. I sincerely hope she brings you a lifetime of safe travels and grand adventures, and that she is all you wished for.

Peace,
    Robert
    oh, you've got to cut me a little slack on the sandals... it was 90 here yesterday!

Ideally I'm hoping for maybe a season or 2 with her... then on to a new owner/ adventures... so I can make another Centennial or maybe some other interesting local craft that deserves to get built. (you are right though I think she will make a great little adventure boat, I did make sure to build something I will not mind getting stuck with if she never sells )