Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: Centennial

Default Re: Centennial

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Dan, I am sure that you will remember to make a little box or trough to guide the mast into the step. I know that you can stand in the forward hatch and see what you are doing but there might be times that isn't so convenient.

Is the mast not fixed in a tabernacle?

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Is the mast not fixed in a tabernacle?
    If there is a tabernacle then disregard the note about the mast box. However, I've seen too many nicely built decked boats that don't have one. I retrofitted one to the ducker and did the same to the Harrier were I can see what I am doing but would rather feel for it if stepping and unstepping in a seaway like they did on whaleboats.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Yup, Tabernackle time!... just got to get the bow sprit out of the way so we can see the construction details.

Are those outboard ends of the deck beam held with a single fastening?

I put a tabernacle on my gaff rigged sloop and loved it. Made stepping the mast easy work.
    I see the holes for the pivot pin on yours, but will you have a locking pin at the bottom to keep it upright while you attach the stays? I also sloped the base of the tabernacle and cut the foot of the mast at a matching angle so that once raised, the mast couldn't continue forward and come crashing down on the foredeck before I got my locking pin in place.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Are those outboard ends of the deck beam held with a single fastening?
    it sure looked like it! but remember when Johnson decked his boat he was in a hurry to get her completed for the crossing and probably wasnt thinking the boat would be around 140 years later being coppied by builders and posted for critique on the World Wide Web!... I'm going with belt and suspenders for this build, the frames that don't land on a hanging or lodging knee are also getting glued and the geometry of the hull also holds them in place. I'm just now trying to figure where the stove stack will come through the deck between the beams, Ill need that for extending cruising in my area into that 4th season... brrrrr

Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 04-22-2017 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I put a tabernacle on my gaff rigged sloop and loved it. Made stepping the mast easy work.
    I see the holes for the pivot pin on yours, but will you have a locking pin at the bottom to keep it upright while you attach the stays? I also sloped the base of the tabernacle and cut the foot of the mast at a matching angle so that once raised, the mast couldn't continue forward and come crashing down on the foredeck before I got my locking pin in place.
    hmmmmm that may be a idea well worth it's salt. The stays should remain conected typically and will certainly be made fast before raising the mast, so the shrouds will prevent the mast overextending, and the forestay will be set on a pulley with line led back to the cockpit so that the forestay can be used to raise and lower the mast from the cockpit... but it might be nice to have a locking bolt anyway, as long as I remember to remove it in advance before shooting low bridges!

Here's how I built my tabernackle. Mine was just for ease of raising and lowering once a season, not for dropping repeatedly to go under bridges. The sloped heel of the mast prevented the mast from flopping forward and the locking pin meant I could raise the mast, slip the locking pin in place and then go leisurely about the task of setting up the stays. Not my idea, I believe I got it from Chappelle's "Boatbuilding".

did your mast have stay/shrouds as well? I think what your sketching makes alot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    did your mast have stay/shrouds as well? I think what your sketching makes alot of sense.
    The mast had a single set of spreaders with one main stay on each side. Single forestay.

ply under deck going on!