Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Centennial

Default Re: Centennial

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Were you able to get any rocker in the bottom?

working on it!

my 215 lbs, plus what I could push with my shoulder against the ceiling, then I used a mallet to drive it home and tighten things up against the building bed. Nearly 5" of rocker!

Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 09-16-2016 at 02:12 PM.

Looks like you need a house jack. Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post

working on it!

my 215 lbs, plus what I could push with my shoulder against the ceiling, then I used a mallet to drive it home and tighten things up against the building bed. Nearly 5" of rocker!

Okay, NOOOW it looks pretty big. Not that I couldn't tell before, but you being in it really speaks volumes. Heheh...
    Just keep swimming, buddy, it's coming along nicely.

Peace,
    Robert

Stem and Stern nailed down... Spileing batten for Garboard planking

Rough cut those garboards today, 1/2" marine fir from a 4x 10' sheet, hoping to have them scarphed and ready to nail one on by this weekend

just for fun here's an old photo of Spear chugging right along, 1 ft longer but a much "smaller" dory than Centennial.

fair amount been going on since last post, lots of little fiddly bits, and the garboards scarphed up, a 10-1 West System glue joint, nailed to the floor to cure, then once the nails are pulled I fill the nail holes with ... Copper rivets, just for good measure

final fairing of stem and stern, then bronze annular ring nails a good hammer and a hefty backing block to absorb the blows and the Garboard is attached to the stem stern bottom and frames!
    the Port side is on the floor beside the planking bench waiting for a lap bevel.

believe it or not (the camera angle foreshortens) that garboard is 18"wide at the bow

Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 09-27-2016 at 06:53 PM.

Nice old #10 coal shovel!

Did the 1/2" ply put up much of a fight with that compound twist in the bow? Is planking also epoxied to stem and frames?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Nice old #10 coal shovel!
    Ive' got another old shovel from my great Grandfather who ran a fishing boat out of Rings Island in Salisbury, I was driving along on trash day and drove by that shovel on the side of the road but said to my self, "you've got a shovel"... about a minunite later I turned the car around, criminal to thrash such a wonderful piece of workmanship as that old shovel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Did the 1/2" ply put up much of a fight with that compound twist in the bow? Is planking also epoxied to stem and frames?
    the 1/2" ply is stiff stuff, these Graboards are cut from a 10' sheet of Marine Fir. to hang the plank I clamp it on the boat all along to get everything aligned, tack the garboard to the stem with two big annular ring nails top and bottom, then let off the clamps along the hull, allowing the plank to lay out on the floor, with some support from random chunks of wood at hand to keep from overstressing the 2 ring nails, then I go foreward and tightly nail the stem in placeso there is a good fit of the plank to the stem, then I have all the leverage of the lenght of the plank to bend it back to the stern, reclamp and nail along at the frames and along the chine.

no epoxy, Cooperis oxide/coper coat/coopernol like stuff on the mating surfaces... the bottom and garboard will get an exterior layer of glass and epoxy once I flip the hull over and fair the garboard to the bottom.
    Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 09-27-2016 at 06:55 PM.

port side, checking that fit...

Daniel, seriously consider running fiberglass tape along the interior seam where the garboard meets the bottom especially if you're not using a chine log there. It's weight and strength added down low where this boat needs it anyway. And don't worry, hopefully you'll be able to tell me how to build my Welsford Long Steps in the not too distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by kenjamin View Post
    Daniel, seriously consider running fiberglass tape along the interior seam where the garboard meets the bottom especially if you're not using a chine log there. It's weight and strength added down low where this boat needs it anyway. And don't worry, hopefully you'll be able to tell me how to build my Welsford Long Steps in the not too distant future.
    Ok, I am planning to glass the bottom up to the top of the garboard planks. there is no chine log because the bottom is the log, 1 1/4" thick solid pine plank, so it holds a 2" ring nail ridiculously well. Trad construction would have been simple Galvy steel nails so Silly Bronze AR nails are years ahead, my one concern with glass on the inside is if the wood gets wet there will be little evaporation so rot may become an issue...

Do you think there might be a concern with glassing a plank bottom that big? What's going to happen when those planks want to expand? I can see the chine, but I think I might be concerned a bit with the whole thing.
    I glassed the chines on that old dory of mine (about a 6" wide tape) and that worked well. She was iron fastened and the chines were a bit iron sick so I didn't have too many options.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I think the planking is fir ply Ned.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I think the planking is fir ply Ned.
    Yes for topsides, but the bottom seems to be solid pine:

1 1/4" thick solid pine plank

I'll be curious to see what the consensus is on glassing a bottom like that. Meanwhile, good luck with the build; looks like a neat boat for some ambitious cruising.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

It's something they did at Lowell's Boat Shop since the late 80's, seems to work well, I'm using system 3 on the bottom as it is a little softer than West which hardens "harder"

the Garboard is Marine Fir to prevent cracking along the grain, bottom and all other planks are EWPine, beautifully boards, fairly clear 1' wide

Sounds fine.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Do you think there might be a concern with glassing a plank bottom that big? What's going to happen when those planks want to expand? I can see the chine, but I think I might be concerned a bit with the whole thing.
    I glassed the chines on that old dory of mine (about a 6" wide tape) and that worked well. She was iron fastened and the chines were a bit iron sick so I didn't have too many options.
    --- My Lowell dory built in 1984 used the plywood garboard and heavily glassed bottom, inside and out, covering the garboard. Back then they used West system, and it was layed on quite thick on the inside and the bottom was heavily glassed. To my knowledge there was never a problem there. Obviously, if you thought the bottom got a chip that penetrated the glass you would want to get on that because that wood once invaded would never dry (on a trailer boat) and the fungus would go right through it. The West epoxy did show cracks after some years, and then I worried about the bottom planks, so Dan's (see his Oct 7 post) comment about the softer System 3 should be noted. But I noticed no soft spots there up until 2006 when I donated the boat back to the shop-now-museum-shop.

The problem I did have on that boat was at the plank laps, some of which showed signs of deterioration. (these laps had a bead of polysulfide between them, FYI). I blame this on the fact that I stored the boat in my garage for 12 years, so that after sailing, the plank laps never had a chance to dry properly. One especially weak zone rotted right through (to my great dismay, I saw water squirting through the paint as I heeled over on a tack) and that had to be cut out and patches for both planks beveled, epoxied in, and riveted (oddly, that was when I stopped treating the boat like a sacred object and finally started playing with my own repairs, modifications, and boat building, so it was a strangely fortunate event in some ways). This boat is still going strong, by the way with her second private owner who bought her from Lowells a couple of years ago. Long live the old "Swan"! -- Wade

how often do we get to swing an adz these days actually doing work?!

roughing out the bevels for scarfing sheer planks, the #2 plank can be seen nailed to the shop floor, glueing. and I got the #1 planks planed to thickness (5/8ths) last evening.

Ahhh,.. It's nice to beak out the old tools every now and then isn't it.

(............ When using an adze I prefer to straddle the work and swing between be legs. That way I'm not swinging toward my leg.)

Ahhh,.. It's nice to beak out the old tools every now and then isn't it.

(............ When using an adze I prefer to straddle the work and swing between be legs. That way I'm not swinging toward my leg.)
    +1... just to be clear in the photo I am cutting
    at 45 degrees to the board so swing between my legs...

the Adz is a ship carpenters adz with the straight blade and short flanges at the ends so it can be used to cut directly across the grain, beautiful tool

something like this

+1... just to be clear in the photo I am cutting
    at 45 degrees to the board so swing between my legs...

the Adz is a ship carpenters adz with the straight blade and short flanges at the ends so it can be used to cut directly across the grain, beautiful tool

something like this
    Ahh, ........ good to hear about your technique, .......... can never be too careful around sharp edge tools you know.

I was wondering, but couldn't tell in the picture what type of adze, couldn't really make out the lip. yep, that's the right tool for cross grain.

Daniel Noyes...

I'd love to see Centennial in person, and maybe Great Republic too

Exactly where on Cape Ann is that boat? Do you know the name / address of that site?

Thanks
    TomH

Quote Originally Posted by tom151 View Post
    Daniel Noyes...

I'd love to see Centennial in person, and maybe Great Republic too

Exactly where on Cape Ann is that boat? Do you know the name / address of that site?

Thanks
    TomH
    Essex County Historical Society, it's in down town Gloucester. Centennial is in pretty rough shape and missing her rig, but well worth the trip... Great Republic is meticuliously preserved, a thing of beauty. FYI there is a Alpha Beachcomber dory built by Chamberlain on display at the Marblehead Historical soc. beautiful boat!

spileing #1 plank

Essex County Historical Society, it's in down town Gloucester. Centennial is in pretty rough shape and missing her rig, but well worth the trip... Great Republic is meticuliously preserved, a thing of beauty. FYI there is a Alpha Beachcomber dory built by Chamberlain on display at the Marblehead Historical soc. beautiful boat!

spileing #1 plank

Port planks going on

Starboard planks going on!

Port planks going on

Starboard planks going on!

good view here of how the plank ends are finished, they pass be one another, no false stem.

Looking good!

Looking good!
    thanks Ned.
    I'm just starting to get a real solid sense of the shape of her. I've built this same hull before, but to 18' with 8" less width and a few inches less freeboard. There is some pronounced hollow beginning to show in her forefoot, down low in the bow and very powerful midsection. I just got the starboard lap riveted this weekend. and the remaining planks #2 and sheer planks, planed to thickness.

Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 10-26-2016 at 06:30 AM.

spileing #2 planking! ... got to leave room for that gorgeous sheer strake.

getting close to "Whiskey plank" time... and then... on to the "Chowda Zone"!

Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 10-26-2016 at 01:46 PM.

Looking great Daniel! There's just something salty about a dory. If your chowder is anything like the stuff they serve at Mystic Seaport, it sure would be good to be around for that.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I hope that stem does not split, all those fastenings with no staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I hope that stem does not split, all those fastenings with no staggering.
    I'd been wondering what that slow cracking sound was... guess at the very least I've got some very carefully cut and fit firewood

you do have a point though, that white oak is soooo hard, I'm drilling for every ring nail just a drill size smaller than the shank, and the nails are staggered in at differing angles, but that oak is so incredibly hard, the nails will give long before the oak ever does, really gorgeous stuff, tight grain and almost waxy, it planes, with a very sharp blade, to a near reflective finish.
    Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 10-26-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenjamin View Post
    Looking great Daniel! There's just something salty about a dory. If your chowder is anything like the stuff they serve at Mystic Seaport, it sure would be good to be around for that.
    just throwing around some salty lingo I learned here on the WBF, from what I can tell the "Chowda Zone" (unlike chowder) is something people tend to try and avoid
    I am planning a big pot of chowder for the haul out party, I'm going to have to get the boat out of the shop to put on the sheer plank, I don't have room, due to the loft framing, to fasten it at the transom. I'm also considering pulling the strong back out for the winter to give me a littttttttle more working space around and in the boat.

2nd set of planks on and started riveting

next I've got to drag her out of the shop and pull out the strong back, there's not room to put on the sheer plank under the loft...

That's looking good Daniel. You'll be on to the interior and deck in no time.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.